• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BoobPhysics101 said:
Hell, they didn't even rehash their own car.

The new Civic was new... 10 years ago

2002 Camry
2002%20Camry%20V6%20XLE.jpg

2012 Civic
2012-honda-civic-hf-rear-view-1024x626.jpg
No, just no. From that specific angle, you can see a similarity, but looking around the car proves it to be completely different and much better. The 02 Camry is ugly as shit. I don't love the new Civic, but it looks much much better than that old Camry.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fordzilla said:
Neither was I unless you consider doing burnouts and driving through mud daily driving situations.
You do burnouts in your F150...?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fordzilla said:
Neither was I unless you consider doing burnouts and driving through mud daily driving situations.

It's just sad that a car that expensive and that sporty doesn't have, what IMO, should be a standard option for a RWD car. BMW intentionally keeps stuff like that for their M-cars.

dark10x said:
No, just no. From that specific angle, you can see a similarity, but looking around the car proves it to be completely different and much better. The 02 Camry is ugly as shit. I don't love the new Civic, but it looks much much better than that old Camry.

Missing the point: you did it.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I thought about getting an Audi A5. but am going to get a couple Hondas instead.

An Element and S2000. The insurance will be cheaper on both cars than one A5.

Excellent choice, but I'd suggest a fit over the Element. The S2000 is the greatest Honda ever made, even surpassing the NSX. Totally transcends its badge to become one of the greatest sports cars ever.

Also, both of those cars are much smarter choices than an A5. A5 is really boring and underpowered.

Fordzilla said:
I drive a 360 HP/380 lb-ft of torque F150 with an open diff (that is able to be locked) without issue. It's also geared pretty low, and when I smash the gas it spins both tires when traction control is off.

That's on pavement though, if I'm in snow or mud the traction control kicks in to assist. Although these are conditions in which I wouldn't expect anyone to drive a BMW.

Haha, the lack of a diff isn't a concern when goofing off in a straight line like a tard, you miss the point. The lack of LSD in a SPORTS CAR is a concern because it affects cornering and your ability to keep traction/put power to the ground in a corner.

AlphaSnake said:
It's just sad that a car that expensive and that sporty doesn't have, what IMO, should be a standard option for a RWD car. BMW intentionally keeps stuff like that for their M-cars.

BMW knows the snob owners can't tell the difference between a car with an LSD and an open diff, and tax the ones that do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ChiTownBuffalo said:
I thought about getting an Audi A5. but am going to get a couple Hondas instead.

An Element and S2000. The insurance will be cheaper on both cars than one A5.

I can't argue with the common sense. I love the A5, but it's main value is for arriving at a nice restuarant. If I lived on a mountain pass from Forza, it would make a lot of sense. Element sure is fugly though. I like it, but it's fugly.

But now you have a sensible car and a convertible that goes every bit as fast as the S5

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
I can't argue with the common sense. I love the A5, but it's main value is for arriving at a nice restuarant. If I lived on a mountain pass from Forza, it would make a lot of sense. Element sure is fugly though. I like it, but it's fugly.

But now you have a sensible car and a convertible that goes every bit as fast as the S5

An S2000 is nowhere near as fast as the S5.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I want the Element because I like going camping and mountain biking. So, it's more practical to have the room and the AWD. I also live in Chicago and spend time in Colorado.

I don't need to go as fast as the A5. I just want to have something zippy and that handles like crazy. Also, something that has aftermarket support.

reilo

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I want the Element because I like going camping and mountain biking. So, it's more practical to have the room and the AWD. I also live in Chicago and spend time in Colorado.

I don't need to go as fast as the A5. I just want to have something zippy and that handles like crazy. Also, something that has aftermarket support.
Mazda CX-7?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
reilo said:
Mazda CX-7?

Yeah, I thoguht about that. But it was mostly a matter of saying to a Honda dealer, how much will you massage my balls if I buy 2 cars?

32K for both. An 04 S2000 with 45K miles and a 08 Element AWD with 23K miles.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Yeah, I thoguht about that. But it was mostly a matter of saying to a Honda dealer, how much will you massage my balls if I buy 2 cars?

32K for both. An 04 S2000 with 45K miles and a 08 Element AWD with 23K miles.

Don't get an '04 S2000. The 04-05 are the bastard AP2's: no DBW, so no FlashPro.

Either get an 02-03 or an 06+. 06+ is easier to tune, has stability control, etc. But DBW feels like crap compared to the 00-05's and their cable throttle.

AlphaSnake said:

True that. You'd need bolt-ons + tune + gears to be close. Or forced induction to rape an S5

ChiTownBuffalo

BoobPhysics101 said:
Don't get an '04 S2000. The 04-05 are the bastard AP2's: no DBW, so no FlashPro.

Either get an 02-03 or an 06+.

There was a yellow 06 there. I will call and see what they can work out for me.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
There was a yellow 06 there. I will call and see what they can work out for me.

Yellow on 06+ is gorgeous. It's Rio yellow, not flat yellow like the earlier years; it has a pearl in the paint so it's really, really sexy. My friend has one with a black Mugen hardtop on silver RPF1's and it's gorgeous.

Let me ask you something: do you want something to race, or something for canyon carving? Are you familiar with RWD?

If you want something for track etc, get an 02-03. If you want something for canyon carving and live in an area with dangerous terrain/climate, get an 06+. Stability control can save your ass in the 06+.

ChiTownBuffalo

BoobPhysics101 said:
Yellow on 06+ is gorgeous. It's Rio yellow, not flat yellow like the earlier years; it has a pearl in the paint so it's really, really sexy. My friend has one with a black Mugen hardtop on silver RPF1's and it's gorgeous.

Let me ask you something: do you want something to race, or something for canyon carving? Are you familiar with RWD?

If you want something for track etc, get an 02-03. If you want something for canyon carving and live in an area with dangerous terrain/climate, get an 06+. Stability control can save your ass in the 06+.

Canyon carving.

I'm fairly familiar with RWD. Once upon a long time ago, I had an FC.

ameratsu

Any opinions on the Fiat 500 Abarth that's rumoured to be coming to North America? The European (135hp) version has had glowing reviews, and the SS (160hp) dealer-installed upgrade package seems to be highly regarded as well.

I kind of assume they will make the NA version more powerful though. 160hp probably isn't enough for the NA market, even for a car as light as the 500. I've heard rumours that the NA version will have 170hp/tq, which seems about right. Who knows if it'll ever make it to Canada though.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Canyon carving.

I'm fairly familiar with RWD. Once upon a long time ago, I had an FC.

If you had an FC, you should be semi-familiar with an S2000. The FC and S2K are similar in some aspects in terms of suspension design and behavior. I believe the FD had unusual toe-in bump behavior like the AP1 S2000.

I really can't recommend 04-05 AP2 because they don't have DBW, unless you hate DBW. 06+ lets you get FlashPro which is the cheapest ($500-600) and best tuning solution. Lets you drop VTEC down to 4000-4500 RPM and gain a shit ton of mid-range and torque. Otherwise you have to spend at least $800-1000 on EMS for AP1/early AP2 to tune.

This is assuming you want to mod, of course.

If you want the most fun, raw experience, get an 02-03 AP1. If you want a more balanced mix of comfort/predictable corner behavior and don't mind DBW, go for 06+.

I far prefer 02-03 over 06+ because of the feeling, but I wouldn't turn down an 06+ if I lost my 02 AP1 and had to start again.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ameratsu said:
Any opinions on the Fiat 500 Abarth that's rumoured to be coming to North America? The European (135hp) version has had glowing reviews, and the SS (160hp) dealer-installed upgrade package seems to be highly regarded as well.

I kind of assume they will make the NA version more powerful though. 160hp probably isn't enough for the NA market, even for a car as light as the 500. I've heard rumours that the NA version will have 170hp/tq, which seems about right. Who knows if it'll ever make it to Canada though.
Everybody who drove the Euro model loves it. I'm fairly certain that the Abarth will gain a cult following in the US.

So I picked out a 2010 Hyundai Sonata for my mom. She picked it up today. Only has 29k miles on it, etc. I really wanted the 2011 refresh for her but it was like 5-6k more just for an aesthetic upgrade (albeit a huge one). It came fully loaded with XM satellite radio, Bluetooth, etc. Awesome car. The price was amazing too.

Also, got two AEM Dryflow filters for $37 shipped. They usually go for $50 new for just ONE so I'm psyched. They arrived today and I installed one... quite a bit bigger than my original FIPK filter. Fuck K&N (yes, I know AEM is owned by them!) If anyone needs 9" by 4" (inlet) AEM Dryflow filters, hit me up. They're $17.50 each shipped.

1304549289617.jpg

It was hard to get that filter in there because it's so fucking big. It bumps up against the side of the engine bay.

Here's what the stock FIPK filter looks like:

DSC00205.JPG

Hopefully this results in more gains when I tune my car.

Smokey said:
This is true. I went to the BMW dealer after messing around with the M5 yesterday..had 2 CPO M3's for 47k. Both were manual.

I'd love to get a manual for a car like a M3...but I live in Houston. Traffic is horrible.

Get the M3. The E60 M5 looks like you just added some pep boys accents and called it an M Car. The E39 M5 is a much nicer looking car oh and the M3 will run circles around it.

It seems to be that the S65 is a very good engine. I have not seen to many go into the shop. Most of the time its stupid yuppies with obvious problems.

MisterNoisy

AlphaSnake said:
Inside of headlights painted matte black:

http://i.imgur.com/lrhvl.jpg

Nice! Anything done to take the chrome out of the light housings gets a thumbs-up from me. :)

I love the look of dark colors (particularly metallics) in the sun. Pollen dictates that I go with lighter colors here, though.

That front plate is a travesty, though - one of FL's high points is not requiring them. Does anyone offer a 'towplate' for the 370 so you can offset the plate to the side?

AlphaSnake

No, it'll look bad either way. I may end up getting the show-n-go plate bracket, which is motorized and totally awesome.

reilo

Ugh, the "seductive automobiles around the web" thread has been taken over by shitty "hellaflush" kiddies.

reilo said:
Ugh, the "seductive automobiles around the web" thread has been taken over by shitty "hellaflush" kiddies.

Hellafail losers are like that: stink up wherever they're at, turning it into a shithole.

The hellaflush craze has hit the S2K scene hard, so many hardparked/undrivable S2K's around with lame ass fucking drops on cheap suspension with big rims. Fail.

reilo

Yo man, check out my momz Volvo station wagon. I got some 50mm spacers for them, so tight bro.

Stinkles

AlphaSnake said:

Late apologia: I meant A5, but in real life driving, the S2000 is going to behave a lot like the S5 if you lop a second off the 0-60. Not saying AlphaSnake is wrong (he's right), just trying to explain a vague point.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Late apologia: I meant A5, but in real life driving, the S2000 is going to behave a lot like the S5 if you lop a second off the 0-60. Not saying AlphaSnake is wrong (he's right), just trying to explain a vague point.

This is true. The way my S2000 is set up right now, I'd spank a heavy ass S5 on the track. Power isn't everything.

I just went into the Seductive Automobiles thread and flamed the hell out of the big hellafail supporter there.

I expect hellafail kiddies to throw cut springs and 100mm spacers at me through the Internet in anger.

BoobPhysics101 said:
So I picked out a 2010 Hyundai Sonata for my mom. She picked it up today. Only has 29k miles on it, etc. I really wanted the 2011 refresh for her but it was like 5-6k more just for an aesthetic upgrade (albeit a huge one). It came fully loaded with XM satellite radio, Bluetooth, etc. Awesome car. The price was amazing too.

Also, got two AEM Dryflow filters for $37 shipped. They usually go for $50 new for just ONE so I'm psyched. They arrived today and I installed one... quite a bit bigger than my original FIPK filter. Fuck K&N (yes, I know AEM is owned by them!) If anyone needs 9" by 4" (inlet) AEM Dryflow filters, hit me up. They're $17.50 each shipped.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_...AAAAAAAAUU/VGjf8RMp0Ls/s800/1304549289617.jpg

I have never seen such ridiculous overkill for filter surface area vs. engine size. What's the point of having a filter that big relative to the intake tubing and, more importantly, manifold and ports?

Dave Inc. said:
I have never seen such ridiculous overkill for filter surface area vs. engine size. What's the point of having a filter that big relative to the intake tubing and, more importantly, manifold and ports?

I got it dirt cheap and I can tune for increased size. It isn't hurting performance at all so why not?

Also, my engine needs as much air flow as it can get especially considering the increased exhaust size...

Dave Inc. said:

It's not all about engine size though, it's about rate of availability of air when the throttle opens up. Who's to say a smaller filter has already reached maximum flow capacity under complex flow conditions where the intake may be somewhat more starved than usual?

33-Hit-Combo said:
It's not all about engine size though, it's about rate of availability of air when the throttle opens up. Who's to say a smaller filter has already reached maximum flow capacity under complex flow conditions where the intake may be somewhat more starved than usual?

Yeah good point. An especially good point when you consider that the F20 is the kind of engine that needs good flow to breathe properly. Judging by the size of the engine is silly.

reilo

BoobPhysics101 said:
Good god the new M5 is going to be such a beast. Twin turbo V8 and dat handling... and so subtle too.
Yeah, they state it's faster around the track than the outgoing V10 M5.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I'm going to get a Fiat 500 within the next few months. The Sport model is all I really need at the moment. I think I may get a 24 month lease and get the electric model when the lease is up. Of course, if I don't like the electric model, I'll just keep the gas version.

Stinkles

Whoompthereitis said:
Just finished a two month ban. Right before I got banned I got a 2010 Honda Fit. Just wanted to report that I fucking love it.

Hi five.

Sometimes when I blast that VTEC, I can feel spacetime warping around me. Many's the M3 I have embarrassed at a traffic light.

So an asshole friend of mine is buying a 2012 GTR, and being the poor man that i am, i am jealous. Whats more frustrating is that i suggested he buy one. (btw GTR ftw)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
GTP_Daverytimes said:
lol, i will be happy with a fucking Camry right now.

I can buy a 350/70 if I wanted but I'm saving for a house down payment 3 months of mortgage etc... God damn life lol..

I test drove the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it was a massive disappointment for me. It wasn't that fast and the interior is cheap as hell. I hated it point blank, but I didn't get to try the Evo.

The 2006 RSX was awesome to test drive but like the amazing Golf and GTI it was too small.

I was quite surprised by the 2010 Acura TSX though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom