• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nissan's VVEL is awaiting it's own Hondata-esque crack so tuners can start messing with it. Can't wait until my 370Z experiences this.

Viperbah

Got the car (c6 z06) tuned a couple of weeks ago, thought I would post up the results.

It made 475/430 with an air intake and LT headers, 492/463 (SAE) with the tune

I am pretty happy with the gains from the minimal bolt ons and honestly probably done with the mods for this car.

tuneresults002.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I got access to Ford's employee pricing program through my current job, I'm switching my object of lust back to a Mustang.

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:
Got the car (c6 z06) tuned a couple of weeks ago, thought I would post up the results.

I am pretty happy with the gains from the minimal bolt ons and honestly probably done with the mods for this car.

tuneresults002.jpg

Sweetjesus.gif

That's nearly 600HP motor. You can shit on virtually every supercar under the sun, save for the new LP700-4, Koenigsegg, and Veyron.

LS V8s...how do they do it?

Viperbah

AlphaSnake said:
Sweetjesus.gif

That's nearly 600HP motor. You can shit on virtually every supercar under the sun, save for the new LP700-4, Koenigsegg, and Veyron.

Displacement. That's why they gain so much from just the bolt ons that improve air flow.

Add in the fact that GM's stock parts usually suck. (the stock exhaust is really not bad on C6Zs thou)

It's old technology but it still gets the job done.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
Sweetjesus.gif

It's a modern 427 cid...how do you think? Gigantic brute force engine in a body that weighs very little...it's going to fast as shit.

twinturbo2 said:
Chrysler created a separate SRT brand today. Ralph Gilles, the head of Dodge, was appointed to head the new division.

http://jalopnik.com/5809468/fiat-creates-chrysler-srt-brand-makes-ralph-gilles-new-chief
This is confusing...I don't understand why they need this.

bah321 said:

tuneresults002.jpg

Fuck yeah. That must be an absolute joy to drive. Congrats!

AlphaSnake said:
Nissan's VVEL is awaiting it's own Hondata-esque crack so tuners can start messing with it. Can't wait until my 370Z experiences this.

You'll be very pleased. Changing the cam profiles will make a huge difference on amy engine, and on something like the VQ37 it should make awesome gains if tuned correctly. Would be really interested in seeing a VQ37 with better fuel economy that revs to 8k.

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:
Displacement. That's why they gain so much from just the bolt ons that improve air flow.

Add in the fact that GM's stock parts usually suck. (the stock exhaust is really not bad on C6Zs thou)

It's old technology but it still gets the job done.

Ahaha, you guys mistook a rhetorical meme as a serious question. I'm well aware of the LS motors. :p

Viperbah

^ Ah, haha, my bad.

Thanks Boobs, after the tune it is so much nicer to drive. The tuner fixed an annoying surge issue I had with my intake as well.

Tires are next I think, my wallet is :(

On that note, where do you guys shop for tires? I have always used tirerack but not liking their selection lately.

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:
^ Ah, haha, my bad.

Thanks Boobs, after the tune it is so much nicer to drive. The tuner fixed an annoying surge issue I had with my intake as well.

On that note, where do you guys shop for tires? I have always used tirerack but not liking their selection lately.

Discount Tire.

But usually I just shop around 4-5 different places and find the best price...which often ends up being Discount Tire.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
Discount Tire.

But usually I just shop around 4-5 different places and find the best price...which often ends up being Discount Tire.
Discount Tire/America's Tire price matches, too.

AlphaSnake

I forgot to mention my 370Z has been treated to an exhaust. Invidia Gemini w/Titanium Tips. It sounds absolutely sensational. Some of the guys in my local 370Z group have canceled and/or ordered the exhaust for themselves after hearing mine. Others installed an aftermarket exhaust and regretted it after hearing mine.

LOL. I didn't think it would have that affect...especially when I told them what I paid for it (in some cases twice less than what others paid for theirs)

Auto-Gaf! I've been looking at Accord Coupes online and stumbled upon this one. For a car with miles that low, year that high, and a price that low...there's gotta be something wrng with it...right?

mr2xxx

Banned
killertofu said:
Auto-Gaf! I've been looking at Accord Coupes online and stumbled upon this one. For a car with miles that low, year that high, and a price that low...there's gotta be something wrng with it...right?

Probably salvage title, why else would a car with 14,000 miles need a new paint job and be priced that low.

AlphaSnake

Err....well for starters the ad says it is a rebuilt car with a rebuilt title.

mr2xxx

Banned
Basically the car was not worth the repair by the auto insurance company so it had extensive damage. It was then rebuilt. What damage who knows could of been a major crash, water damage or whatever but enough that the insurance company would not get it fixed. It's a risk because you never know what additional problems the car will have down the line as a result from whatever damage.

bah321 said:
^ Ah, haha, my bad.

Where do you live? If you're in SoCal, I have the hook-up on tires.

AlphaSnake said:
I forgot to mention my 370Z has been treated to an exhaust. Invidia Gemini w/Titanium Tips. It sounds absolutely sensational. Some of the guys in my local 370Z group have canceled and/or ordered the exhaust for themselves after hearing mine. Others installed an aftermarket exhaust and regretted it after hearing mine.

LOL. I didn't think it would have that affect...especially when I told them what I paid for it (in some cases twice less than what others paid for theirs)

Don't you love getting a phenomenal car mod for dirt cheap while others pay out the ass for it? Feels so good. Almost everything on my car was bought for far less than it's worth new.

AlphaSnake

BoobPhysics101 said:
Don't you love getting a phenomenal car mod for dirt cheap while others pay out the ass for it? Feels so good. Almost everything on my car was bought for far less than it's worth new.

Yep. Some the exhausts for our 370Zs (Berk and Fast Intentions) are too loud and have individual canisters per outlet, as opposed to a muffler. These canisters all hang so low and scrape, dent, ding everywhere. These exhausts also both cost $1200+. That much money for a headache? No thanks.

Mine cost $750 shipped, even though most vendors sell for over $900. Invidia Gemini.

Viperbah

OK, cool....I will check discount tire out.

Alpha, Notice any gains in hp? Anyway sounds like a good deal.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Where do you live? If you're in SoCal, I have the hook-up on tires.

I am in VA. I'm still on the stock run flats and I loath them. Looking to get the Nitto NT05's.

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:

I am in VA. I'm still on the stock run flats and I loath them. Looking to get the Nitto NT05's.

Haha, yep. Exhausts on 370Zs make big gains (10-15WHP), especially when you get rid of the OEM CATs (add another 10-15WHP). The OEM exhaust is so horrifically built, and restricted it's comical. Most of the restriction comes with the Y-pipe which has these puny and skinny elbows at the flex section...I mean just bad.

288524999_978870801_0.jpg

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Haha, yep. Exhausts on 370Zs make big gains (10-15WHP), especially when you get rid of the OEM CATs (add another 10-15WHP). The OEM exhaust is so horrifically built, and restricted it's comical. Most of the restriction comes with the Y-pipe which has these puny and skinny elbows at the flex section...I mean just bad.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/varand12/Z%20parts/288524999_978870801_0.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Looks like every manufacturer's exhaust system. They're usually built restricted in order to keep the HP figures down for insurance/MSRP purposes, and built for sound because 90% of their customers don't like a loud exhaust.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Looks like every manufacturer's exhaust system. They're usually built restricted in order to keep the HP figures down for insurance/MSRP purposes, and built for sound because 90% of their customers don't like a loud exhaust.

My 350Z y-pipe didn't look that nasty or have bottlenecks like that at the flex section.

JackEtc

Alright guys, I need some help. I got my car, a 2007 VW Jetta, a few months ago. It's great, and it's got a lot of aftermarket stuff, and I'm pretty sure one of those is some sort of body kit, it doesn't look the same as most Jettas. I've noticed 2 panels sticking out on the right side of the car, and I have no clue what I can do about it. They seem to have some sort of tab system or something on the inside of each panel. I'm not sure whether these are part of any body kit, or stock panels:

Back right, below taillights, wraps around to back:
(click each image for larger)

Front right side:

Anything I could do?

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
My 350Z y-pipe didn't look that nasty or have bottlenecks like that at the flex section.
Mine did. It was disgusting.

AlphaSnake

JackEtc said:
Alright guys, I need some help. I got my car, a 2007 VW Jetta, a few months ago. It's great, and it's got a lot of aftermarket stuff, and I'm pretty sure one of those is some sort of body kit, it doesn't look the same as most Jettas. I've noticed 2 panels sticking out on the right side of the car, and I have no clue what I can do about it. They seem to have some sort of tab system or something on the inside of each panel. I'm not sure whether these are part of any body kit, or stock panels:

Back right, below taillights, wraps around to back:
(click each image for larger)

Front right side:

Anything I could do?

You can try pushing them in, and they should snap back in place. But some of those panels look so aftermarket that they hardly flow with the lines of the car. Give it a shot, anyways.

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
You can try pushing them in, and they should snap back in place. But some of those panels look so aftermarket that they hardly flow with the lines of the car. Give it a shot, anyways.
You don't think it does? I thought they looked alright (then again, I didn't do any of this to the car, and aren't even sure if it's aftermarket):
fGxAGl.jpg

Looks like it flows to me *shrug*

But thanks for the tip, I felt like pushing them in, but I wanted a second opinion, I was scared I would crack something or hurt it somehow. I don't have any experience with this stuff =\

Viperbah

AlphaSnake said:

Yeah, it looks like they just snap on.

If it doesn't hold there is always duct tape.

JackEtc said:
But thanks for the tip, I felt like pushing them in, but I wanted a second opinion, I was scared I would crack something or hurt it somehow. I don't have any experience with this stuff =\

After market body kits flex pretty easily, don't be afraid to give it a decent amount of force.

JackEtc

Alright, back with results:

The back panel snapped right in. It's not completely flush like the other side, but it looks much better now. It was much more noticeable than the front panel.

The front panel seems to be in no-mans land. I try pushing in, and I feel nothing on the other side, nothing to snap into. The tabs almost appear snapped:

It seems like the entire panel, up until the headlight, shifts when I'm pushing on it. Here's a video of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aK762PX_40

What the fuck :(

reilo

JackEtc said:
fffffuuuuucccckkkk. Is there anything I can do?
Call a VW and ask if they have tabs that you can add. The bumper shouldn't be that difficult to take off. I'd also go onto one of the more popular VW forums and ask around there.

JackEtc

reilo said:
Call a VW and ask if they have tabs that you can add. The bumper shouldn't be that difficult to take off. I'd also go onto one of the more popular VW forums and ask around there.
Thanks for the advice. I won't need to take it to a body shop and pay out the ass or anything?

reilo

JackEtc said:
Thanks for the advice. I won't need to take it to a body shop and pay out the ass or anything?
For something as simple as that? I would hope not, but of course, I wouldn't be shocked if they quoted you something asinine, either. Ask around.

bah321 said:

Highly reconmend the Nitto NT05's. i'm running them in 255mm all the way around on my S and the grip is fucking phenomenal. I had Hankook Ventus V12's before and the difference is night and day. Going down a righthsnd sweeping freeway onramp at 70 mph feels like nothing.

Mobius 1

AlexMogil said:
Y'all asked if I would post some pics after I got my 2011, so here they are. Sorry they are a little late. I put a few more in the show off your car thread.

sti1.jpg

sti2.jpg

The car is so much fun.

Welcome to the fold, my brethren. IWSTI and NASIOC will be your best friends.

SePhoBroth

Neo Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Really? Before you fuck off, how about you read this:

http://www.hondata.com/tech_vtec_crossover.html

For modded cars, stock VTEC engagement point is NOT optimized without dyno tuning and setting a better crossover plus managing AFR to eliminate power dips and fluctations. If the transition isn't smooth and is abrupt (which stock VTEC crossover is), you're not making as much power as you could. Period.
I know you want to feel like you know something but please stop posting misinformation or information you don't understand.

SePhoBroth said:
I know you want to feel like you know something but please stop posting misinformation or information you don't understand.

Right, how many VTEC engines have you tuned? Anyone that knows how to set a VTEC crossover knows what I said is true. Put your money where your mouth is.

SePhoBroth

Neo Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Right, how many VTEC engines have you tuned? Anyone that knows how to set a VTEC crossover knows what I said is true. Put your money where your mouth is.
lol Do you even have a Honda or car?

SePhoBroth said:
lol Do you even have a Honda or car?

If you weren't a dumb-ass junior coming in here hurling completely ignorant, baseless insults, you'd have seen that I posted up my S2000 a couple of months ago in this very thread:

2011-04-08-16-26-03-192.jpg

BoobPhysics101 said:

If you're moving the cross over, you're effectively playing with the torque curve. You're simply shifting it left or right and to a small extent changing its peak, depending on engine efficiency (ram charging and pressure/reflective waves, residual exhaust mostly). If you consider want a smooth transition, more overlap right? But isn't that going to reduce the peak of the power curve (and area beneath) because it's now at lower RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom