• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

Jamesfrom818 said:
So the new Corvette could feature a turbocharged, small displacement V8 with a redline approaching 10,000 RPM. WANT

I saw this on autoblog today.

As a corvette owner, I only hope they offer bigger displacement V8 as well for the Z06 or ZR1 because I won't be buying a C7 for that.

EDIT: it says in the article they will offer big displacement, doh.

Zyzyxxz

bah321 said:

As a corvette owner, I only hope they offer bigger displacement V8 as well for the Z06 or ZR1 because I won't be buying a C7 for that.

very interested in seeing how this turns out!

Jamesfrom818 said:
So the new Corvette could feature a turbocharged, small displacement V8 with a redline approaching 10,000 RPM. WANT

I'll hold out hope for this, but I very much doubt that they'll actually do it.

Also, I'm used to people putting LS-series engines in little cars, wtf is Chevy doing putting a little engine in a Corvette? A high revving V8 is going to sound so completely out of place in a Corvette, so very confused.

ascii42

Dave Inc. said:
I'll hold out hope for this, but I very much doubt that they'll actually do it.

Also, I'm used to people putting LS-series engines in little cars, wtf is Chevy doing putting a little engine in a Corvette? A high revving V8 is going to sound so completely out of place in a Corvette, so very confused.
Yeah, large displacement torquey engines are more the American style, but the Corvette is a fairly light car, so it could work.

I approve of a 10,000RPM redline corvette.
Next step is improving the interior.

They are also going to make a ton of money if they sell that as a crate engine.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
NASCAR V8's can frequently go up to 9,000 RPMs, just throwing that out. I wonder what GM's going to do to get a 10K RPM redline without a shower of smoke coming out of the engine bay.

A small-displacement, high-revving turbo V8 would certainly be an interesting new direction, but regardless of the engine they put in it, the next Corvette is going to be epic.

The C5 got the ball rolling, but the C6 Z06 and ZR1 really took the fight to the best of the Europeans, on both the street and track. I admire the hell out of them, and expect great things from the C7.

doitlive said:

I'm sure GM has said that interior design and materials will be a priority with the C7. It's one of the few areas Corvettes have always been deficient relative to the competition.

AlexMogil

Y'all asked if I would post some pics after I got my 2011, so here they are. Sorry they are a little late. I put a few more in the show off your car thread.

sti1.jpg

sti2.jpg

The car is so much fun.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bah321 said:

Forced induction is the future. I can see that naturally aspirated cars are pretty much on the way out, particularly in performance cars.

It doesn't get any bigger than the 427 they'd got in the Z06 now. Just get it now, I suppose. I can't wait until the Z06 is cheap enough I can afford one. That's pretty much my dream car, even if I'm content knowing I'll never really afford it.

10,000 rpm

TheDetroitBureau.com has learned that GM has approved the use of a very European-style V8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement

sounds like wishful thinking to me. they're still in the planning stages, so this is all up in the air. I think that they'll end up using whatever engine is more cost-effective and a 10k rpm engine is not it.

doitlive said:

Interior should have been job #1. But I'm not mad at all. I wonder how long before the new engine get into the CTS-V's...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
akachan ningen said:
sounds like wishful thinking to me. they're still in the planning stages, so this is all up in the air. I think that they'll end up using whatever engine is more cost-effective and a 10k rpm engine is not it.
Sounds like bullshit to me.

The appeal of the Corvette is in its price tag. That kind of engine makes your car cost $70,000.00, which isn't why anyone buys Corvettes.

Spaceman Spiff said:
A small-displacement, high-revving turbo V8 would certainly be an interesting new direction, but regardless of the engine they put in it, the next Corvette is going to be epic.

The C5 got the ball rolling, but the C6 Z06 and ZR1 really took the fight to the best of the Europeans, on both the street and track. I admire the hell out of them, and expect great things from the C7.

I'm sure GM has said that interior design and materials will be a priority with the C7. It's one of the few areas Corvettes have always been deficient relative to the competition.

Would have been the perfect engine for the Pontiac Solstice.

AlexMogil said:
Y'all asked if I would post some pics after I got my 2011, so here they are. Sorry they are a little late. I put a few more in the show off your car thread.

sti1.jpg

sti2.jpg

The car is so much fun.

Wow, that looks great! Congrats.

Now get a tune so you can get rid of the weaksauce straightline performance. :D

bigboss370 said:
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/b/bugatti_veyron-5945.jpg[img]

man i wish there was a cheaper version with same looks :([/QUOTE]

really? every time I see that car I wish there was a version that is just as fast but with better looks.

akachan ningen said:
really? every time I see that car I wish there was a version that is just as fast but with better looks.

na there's no way i need/could go ~400 km/h lol, don't need that power, but i love how the car looks. the interior could use a little tweaking but other than that the thing is one sexy beast :D

AlexMogil said:
I've seen the graphs and I know that an ECU flash would be very healthy for this car, but I'm so paranoid about the warranty.

Don't even worry about it, Subie is really good about honoring their warranties and they know people that buy STi's are going to do modifications to them. It's not like BMW where you have to sneak a reflash before you (inevitably) take the car to the dealer for maintenance because the shitty fuel pump blew.

AlexMogil said:
I've seen the graphs and I know that an ECU flash would be very healthy for this car, but I'm so paranoid about the warranty.
don't bother modifying unless you're already pushing the car to the limit and you feel like it needs to be faster.

akachan ningen said:
don't bother modifying unless you're already pushing the car to the limit and you feel like it needs to be faster.

There's a difference between maxing it everywhere and then driving around comfortably with more power though. I do however think you should discuss the terms of the warranty first if customer service is anything like the UK.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlexMogil said:
Cobb knows their shit. Find out if you have a certified Cobb tuner in your area:

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=5100

And go to them. They're #1 as far as Subarus go.

Worst case, call up Cobb and they will recommend someone near you.

Fit-Age: I'll be taking delivery of a 2011 Sport tomorrow.

After the break-in period, it's going to be all VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!
Went with the Fit over a Malibu Hybrid just so I could say that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Spaceman Spiff said:

Grats. Love my Fit.

Angry Grimace said:
Sounds like bullshit to me.

The appeal of the Corvette is in its price tag. That kind of engine makes your car cost $70,000.00, which isn't why anyone buys Corvettes.

S2000 was a $40k sports car with a 9k RPM redline. Shitty RX-8 was like $30k with a horrible rotary engine, but it did 9k RPM too.

They said approaching 10k RPM: this likely means 8-9k RPM. It's not that hard to do with proper engine design, and turbocharging it isn't out of the question either; tons of turbo and supercharged S2000's running around with stock internals and no problems even though the engine wasn't designed with boost in mind.

Whatever Chevy does with the C7, it should be spectacular.

Spaceman Spiff said:

Fit doesn't have actual VTEC, it has a form of VTEC-E much like the R18 engines in the Civic or the half-VTEC in the K20A3. It doesn't have high lobe high RPM power like real VTEC.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't actually feel hardly anything with the kind of crossover the Fit's VTEC has.

P.S. Funny irony about VTEC 'kicking in': in the Honda tuning world, it's common knowledge among non-retards that the VTEC kick actually means that VTEC is set too high, and you're not making as much power as you could if it were set correctly. Honda was conservative with where they set the VTEC crossover, it could've been at least 1-2k lower on every engine with real VTEC.

Lowering VTEC can widen the powerband and pick up anywhere from 15-40 whp depending on mods/tune.

bigboss370 said:
na there's no way i need/could go ~400 km/h lol, don't need that power, but i love how the car looks. the interior could use a little tweaking but other than that the thing is one sexy beast :D

pfft you can never have too much power.

bodyboarder said:
pfft you can never have too much power.
There's definitely a point as you raise the horsepower where driving the car becomes more about reigning the power in and keeping it in check than it is about driving and enjoying the car.

Old saying but still true, better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

ascii42 said:
Wow, rims are something, alright.

Interior is interesting, conceptually. Looks like individual buttons for turn signals, as well as a button for high-beams. Doesn't appear to be a space for a radio though.
2mgrw5s.jpg

The mock up is using racing harnesses instead of regular seat belts. I doubt they designed this with everyday driving in mind. Looks like there are cup holders though...

dubc35

AlexMogil said:
Car looks great, congrats!

reilo said:
Cobb knows their shit. Find out if you have a certified Cobb tuner in your area:

http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=5100

And go to them. They're #1 as far as Subarus go.

Worst case, call up Cobb and they will recommend someone near you.
Yep, Cobb FTW! I have a ton of their parts on my car.

So I have the opportunity to get a 1998 Ford Contour Sedan for $1500.. it has 138k on it. Should I? I really need a car... and if not, any other recommendations for less than $4000?

Zyzyxxz

foodtaster said:
So I have the opportunity to get a 1998 Ford Contour Sedan for $1500.. it has 138k on it. Should I? I really need a car... and if not, any other recommendations for less than $4000?

whats the condition?

If its excellent $1500 sounds about right but a fair condition one can be as low as $800.

SePhoBroth

Neo Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
P.S. Funny irony about VTEC 'kicking in': in the Honda tuning world, it's common knowledge among non-retards that the VTEC kick actually means that VTEC is set too high, and you're not making as much power as you could if it were set correctly. Honda was conservative with where they set the VTEC crossover, it could've been at least 1-2k lower on every engine with real VTEC.

Lowering VTEC can widen the powerband and pick up anywhere from 15-40 whp depending on mods/tune.
You're clueless.

SePhoBroth said:
You're clueless.

Really? Before you fuck off, how about you read this:

The VTEC crossover point is determined by overlaying the low and high cam torque curves. The optimum cam angle for maximum power on the low cam at the VTEC point is often 20 to 35 degrees less than the cam angle for optimum power on the high cam.

In the example below the VTEC point is 4350 RPM. The optimum low cam angle is about 12 degrees. The optimum cam angle for high cam power is 37 degrees.

The problem is that the cam angle does not rotate instantly into the position at the VTEC point. The cam angle rotates at about 10 degrees every 10th of a second. Thus in this example the cam takes about 3/10ths of a second to rotate from 12 to 37 degrees. While the cam is rotating into position the engine is not making optimal power, often resulting in a power dip after VTEC.

The technique Hondata has developed is three-fold:

Advance the cam into to match the high cam VTC angle before the VTEC switch point.
Alter the RPM indices to make this happen as quickly as possible.
Keep the cam angle constant across the high cam RPM rows.

This results in a small power dip on the low cam as it is rotated into position but more power on the high cam after the VTEC point.

http://www.hondata.com/tech_vtec_crossover.html

For modded cars, stock VTEC engagement point is NOT optimized without dyno tuning and setting a better crossover plus managing AFR to eliminate power dips and fluctations. If the transition isn't smooth and is abrupt (which stock VTEC crossover is), you're not making as much power as you could. Period.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I love how apparently in the tuner world 'VTEC' is referred to that 'kick in' moment (lol, some kick that is...) and not for what the vtec as an abbreviation actually stands for, which is just Honda's flavor of valve timing system.

Lord Error said:
I love how apparently in the tuner world 'VTEC' is referred to that 'kick in' moment (lol, some kick that is...) and not for what the vtec as an abbreviation actually stands for, which is just Honda's flavor of valve timing system.

It's just a stupid Honda 'culture' thing. Some Honda guys would be really surprised if you were to tell them BMW's and Toyota's have 'VTEC' too in the form of VANOS and VVTI. It's a great concept, but way overhyped and is the butt of many jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom