• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Gaffers. What are your thoughts on the 2007 matrix xr? I am the dealer now and they want to sell it to me for $11000 plus tax tag and dealer fee. It has 69000. They replaced the drive belt both set of brakes, trans fluid.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Through YuriLowell's generosity, I was able to see the CarFax for my old 350Z. I traded it in back in November 2010, but the car didn't sell after the winter storm in February 2011. Since February 16th to June 6th, the car has been driven a grand total of...300 miles in Bethel, CT.

Wtf?

According to my buddies at the Nissan dealer, a gorgeous girl bought it. Not sure if her dad bought the car, or she bought it alone. But none the less, I know that a beautiful chick from CT owns my old car. I'm just curious as to why it's never driven...it's basically sitting and rotting away. Perhaps it's a weekend only toy for the owner. :\

Any diesel fans in here? Looking to get rid of my 2006 Jetta TDI for either a 2008 Mercedes E320 Bluetec or a 2009 BMW 335d.

I know the diesel Benzs well as I've owned a couple but I'm not too familiar with the Beamer diesel although I love the sportier ride and higher HP and torque. (265/425)

Any thoughts?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still car shopping.

OK, so the aforementioned M3 might actually still be available after all.

$50k for a 2009 M3 with 13k miles seems like a decent deal. As noted, it was purchased originally in Germany and shipped to the US.

It's a very tempting car, of course, but what kind of maintenance costs will I be faced with? As it is more of a sports car than the 535 and uses a lot of specialized parts, how much trouble would it be? With the 535 being new, I'd have the 4 years/50,000 miles free maintenance deal. The 535 is also much more common and seems like it would be easier to keep running.

Any estimates on the cost of M3 ownership and does its origin in Germany bring any problems to the table?

AlphaSnake

dark10x said:
Still car shopping.

OK, so the aforementioned M3 might actually still be available after all.

$50k for a 2009 M3 with 13k miles seems like a decent deal. As noted, it was purchased originally in Germany and shipped to the US.

It's a very tempting car, of course, but what kind of maintenance costs will I be faced with? As it is more of a sports car than the 535 and uses a lot of specialized parts, how much trouble would it be? With the 535 being new, I'd have the 4 years/50,000 miles free maintenance deal. The 535 is also much more common and seems like it would be easier to keep running.

Any estimates on the cost of M3 ownership and does its origin in Germany bring any problems to the table?

The E90/E92 M3s are notoriously unreliable. Tons of pretty serious issues with the motor, too many unusual electric glitches. This is not a car I'd call reliable at all. Every one that I know, every one that I know who has friends with this car, and many people on the M3 forums have expressed how often the car is in service. And just to give you a general idea of what maintenance costs on an M-car, my brother just serviced his M6 last week. A set of spark plugs cost $1100 with parts and labor. Oil change, $250. Differential fluid, $200. Battery, $400. Yes, a fucking battery.

And the clincher everyone fails to realize: clutch change, $2500! No matter the M3 transmission you choose, you'll end up replacing either 1 or 2 clutches at some point. It'll run you $2500 for a 6MT. Or $3400 if you have dual clutch.

Viperbah

AlphaSnake said:
A set of spark plugs cost $1100 with parts and labor. Oil change, $250. Differential fluid, $200. Battery, $400. Yes, a fucking battery.

WTF !

It cost's $1100 to change the spark plugs??? Do you have to remove the engine from the car? lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
A set of spark plugs cost $1100 with parts and labor. Oil change, $250. Differential fluid, $200. Battery, $400. Yes, a fucking battery.

And the clincher everyone fails to realize: clutch change, $2500! No matter the M3 transmission you choose, you'll end up replacing either 1 or 2 clutches at some point. It'll run you $2500 for a 6MT. Or $3400 if you have dual clutch.
wtttttf

What is the rationale for this? The battery has to be universal, right? Why not just buy one off the shelf and do it yourself? Ditto for everything else besides the clutch. I don't understand.

ascii42

reilo said:
wtttttf

What is the rationale for this? The battery has to be universal, right? Why not just buy one off the shelf and do it yourself? Ditto for everything else besides the clutch. I don't understand.
Only thing I can think of is if the battery is in a hard to reach place, then the labor cost to replace could be high.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AlphaSnake said:
The E90/E92 M3s are notoriously unreliable. Tons of pretty serious issues with the motor, too many unusual electric glitches. This is not a car I'd call reliable at all. Every one that I know, every one that I know who has friends with this car, and many people on the M3 forums have expressed how often the car is in service. And just to give you a general idea of what maintenance costs on an M-car, my brother just serviced his M6 last week. A set of spark plugs cost $1100 with parts and labor. Oil change, $250. Differential fluid, $200. Battery, $400. Yes, a fucking battery.

Yikes, that confirms what my gear head brother-in-law has said. Yeah, I think I'll stay clear of it then. The 535i definitely seems like the better bet. Aside from maintenance, the 535i has a lower quoted insurance rate for me. The insurance costs for the M3 seem rather high in comparison.

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:
WTF !

It cost's $1100 to change the spark plugs??? Do you have to remove the engine from the car? lol

A pack of spark plugs for the V10 motor itself cost $789.

By comparison, a pack for a 335i cost $250.

wtttttf

It's in the trunk, and it seems to be specific for the M5 and M6. The battery itself is pretty expensive, and then of course BMW charges you $120 for the labor.

That is the price you pay for owning a 500HP supercar.

AlphaSnake said:

That is fucking ridiculous.

I just paid $1200 for an Inspection II service on my old E34 M5 that included: all fluids drained (motor, tranny, diff), full vehicle inspection, and the big one: valve adjustments. Also included a brand new starter, spark plugs, cap & rotor + installation.

J-Rzez

AlphaSnake said:

Typical BMW gouging. Actually, it's pretty typical "one-off-car" gouging, but BMW really loves to do this. This is why people I know with these cars go aftermarket, and most do the work themselves. Especially when it comes to the gouging for the fluid changes, where they make a tidy profit from while using some inferior fluids at the same time. I never checked the battery in those cars, I'll have to see what form of "special M-battery" they use. lol.

Like I said, that's why people do it themselves. Hell, it's why I work on my own cars myself. Dealerships are terrible. The one my gf bought her new RDX from tries to charge $140 for an oil change and tire rotation. That's with using run-of-the-mill oil, rotating the tires while it's draining on the lift with air tools, and the ever secret "resetting the oil light" aka what it tells you to do in the manual which is just a few button presses on the steering wheel lol.

Dark, if I were you and you're worried about price gouging, I'd just steer clear from BMW's in general then. Eventually they'll try to get you somewhere, and even with the vanilla BMW's aka non-M. Or learn to do basic work on the car yourself, while shopping and obtaining often better parts for less online. Especially fluid changes. $200 for a rear-diff change is ridiculous.

reilo

J-Rzez said:
Like I said, that's why people do it themselves. Hell, it's why I work on my own cars myself. Dealerships are terrible. The one my gf bought her new RDX from tries to charge $140 for an oil change and tire rotation. That's with using run-of-the-mill oil, rotating the tires while it's draining on the lift with air tools, and the ever secret "resetting the oil light" aka what it tells you to do in the manual which is just a few button presses on the steering wheel lol.
It's why I get my tires from America's Tire and then have a lifetime free tire rotation. Ditto on getting my oil from Wal-Mart and then having the dealer do the oil change (don't have the place to do it) and then I pay $20 for service and they have it in the record that they did the oil change, so if anything fucks up, it's on them.

iidesuyo

ssolitare said:
So I really want a Sunroof and it needs a paint job. What's it like putting a sunroof into a car that wasn't mean to have a sun roof cost wise? I don't need an automatic one as much as I just want one, I love sunroofs.

Golf III, right? My had parents bought a used '92 Golf III in the 90s, and it had a manual aftermarket sunroof. So it's definitely possible, but I remember that it had some issues with water coming in. Was not worth it.

Regarding the paint, post a pic!

reilo

On the subject of supercar maintenance...

There's no question that buying a Ferrari is an expensive proposition. But so is owning one. The cost of insurance, fuel, tires and maintenance can be crushing, but it now becomes much easier, as Ferrari announces a free seven-year maintenance program for newly purchased vehicles.

The program is being launched in markets around the world, and has just been announced for North America. It covers regularly scheduled annual maintenance at the dealership, including labor, replacement parts and lubricants.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/27/ferrari-na-launches-free-seven-year-maintenance-on-back-of-recor/

JackEtc

So guys, I had a pleasant surprise today that I'd thought you'd like to hear.

Since I started driving, my family bought a third car (I'm 17, by the way). It's a black 2007 Jetta 2.5 Love the thing. It was a repo with all sorts of cool stuff, tuned suspension, exhaust system, aftermarket headlights and taillights, all sorts of sweet stuff. We bought it with 54k miles on it.

So a few weeks ago, I'm about to leave for a week long Boy Scout camp. I check the car the day before leaving, and notice it's approaching 57,000 miles. I tell my Mom before I leave "The car's oil NEEDS to be changed, because I know you'll be using it". She says okay, and that she will get it changed.

I come home from camp, and everything seems fine.

The car now has just over 60,000 miles on it. Tomorrow, my Mom and I are leaving for New York (I live in Maryland) for a few college tours, and then driving to Bethany Beach after that to meet with the rest of our family. We are taking the Jetta. I go outside to wash my car, and decide to check the oil. I HAVE BARELY ANY OIL. I have no idea why at first, but then I run inside and ask my Mom if she had the oil changed. She thought about it, and said she didn't, and must have forgotten..

So, my car has driven six thousand miles without having an oil change. I'm bringing it in tomorrow to have it changed.

I'm not very happy, GAF. Not happy at all.

kehs

Banned
6K?

Pfft. Assuming your last oil change was synthetic it's not a big deal.

I ran an explorer for something like 12-14K miles(the odometer didn't work but it was over a year) between two oil changes.

btw, the dipstick usually shows the level of the last quart. A low dipstick usually means your engine is 1 quart low, not nearly empty.

JackEtc

Copernicus said:
6K?

Pfft. Assuming your last oil change was synthetic it's not a big deal.

I ran an explorer for something like 12-14K miles(the odometer didn't work but it was over a year) between two oil changes.

btw, the dipstick usually shows the level of the last quart. A low dipstick usually means your engine is 1 quart low, not nearly empty.
Oh thank God, you made me a lot less worried. Yeah, VW's are synthetic.

iidesuyo

JackEtc said:
So, my car has driven six thousand miles without having an oil change. I'm bringing it in tomorrow to have it changed.

Despite the usual hate on US Forums, VW engines are lasting and very well built.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
JackEtc said:
So guys, I had a pleasant surprise today that I'd thought you'd like to hear.

Since I started driving, my family bought a third car (I'm 17, by the way). It's a black 2007 Jetta 2.5 Love the thing. It was a repo with all sorts of cool stuff, tuned suspension, exhaust system, aftermarket headlights and taillights, all sorts of sweet stuff. We bought it with 54k miles on it.

So a few weeks ago, I'm about to leave for a week long Boy Scout camp. I check the car the day before leaving, and notice it's approaching 57,000 miles. I tell my Mom before I leave "The car's oil NEEDS to be changed, because I know you'll be using it". She says okay, and that she will get it changed.

I come home from camp, and everything seems fine.

The car now has just over 60,000 miles on it. Tomorrow, my Mom and I are leaving for New York (I live in Maryland) for a few college tours, and then driving to Bethany Beach after that to meet with the rest of our family. We are taking the Jetta. I go outside to wash my car, and decide to check the oil. I HAVE BARELY ANY OIL. I have no idea why at first, but then I run inside and ask my Mom if she had the oil changed. She thought about it, and said she didn't, and must have forgotten..

The 3,000 mile thing is a myth regardless of what kind of oil you use. Jiffy Lube tells you that to sell you more oil changes.

I'm not saying you should be pushing 10K or anything, but 6,000 miles without a change is a non-issue unless you've got a 1974 Dodge Dart running 10W-40 or something.

JackEtc

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep it in mind. I went and got the oil changed anyway, might as well. But nice to know I don't need to get it changed every 3k.

^^^ it also really depends on the car. Some car manual will say every 3k miles, some will say 5k, etc. Some modern car these days are more efficient at eating oil, so 5k is around the norm now.

On the other hand a rotary motor likes to eat oil. So FD RX-7's and even the RX8's eat oil like crazy. It's pretty normal to top off oil at every gas fill up for those cars.

So I went in today to buy a 2009 BMW 335d that has only 2,900 kms and was listed at $42,995. I told him I'd do straight up cash at $38,000. The manager said he could only take off $500 because he'd only be making $1000-1500 after that.

These guys are so full of shit.

Epic Tales of Penis said:
So I went in today to buy a 2009 BMW 335d that has only 2,900 kms and was listed at $42,995. I told him I'd do straight up cash at $38,000. The manager said he could only take off $500 because he'd only be making $1000-1500 after that.

Yea that is bullshit. Dealerships make the most profit off of used cars. Jealous that you're even able to find a 335D.

AlphaSnake

What does the CarFax say about past ownership? Was it like a 2 year lease that the dealer bought from BMW financial once the lease ended? Was it a private trade in? It's entirely possible this was a 2 year lease that BMW bought from the bank once the lease was over - assuming a $600 monthly payment, that's a buyout of roughly $34K for them + $4K for certified warranty + reconditioning costs (brakes, tires, oil change). That's over $38K.

It's entirely possible they weren't BSing you.

It was a demo car and like I said has 2,900 kms. I didn't go to a BMW dealership. The car was at a Jeep/Chrysler dealership but they also carry other used vehicles as well.

P.S. Giant Robot. They are hard to find. They have another one with 3,500 kms that's a demo as well. It has the navi and is priced at $44,995.

Just around the corner is BMW Autohaus and they have a 2011 with just over 12,000 kms that's listed at $49,995.

All of these three are fully loaded, minus the sports package.

spats

Bought a 2001 Avensis last week. I was scared shitless for spending so much money on something but I was in a position where I practically needed a car. About 192,000km driven, kept really well, runs well and I'm feeling great about it, despite not really having any money after paying for tax and insurance.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys would have any general basic maintenance tips. Any good way to avoid corrosion? Do you paint over the dent if a rock chips off some of the paint or apply something else? I'm not that worried about the cosmetics, I bought the car to be a workhorse and I don't want it rusting on me.

021.JPG

Smokey

Enron said:
A friend of mine just got a 550i with the sport package and nearly every other option on it, and I hated driving it. It's too smooth, when you are going fast you don't actually feel like you are going fast.

Edit: oh, you already drove it and liked it. Nevermind. In that case, go for it.

Haha

I notice this in my 335i as well. I don't know if that's a bad thing? Can definitely get you in trouble though.

h1nch

So I've gotten the itch again. I currently own a 2009 BMW 328i which I love, but I'm looking for something with a bit more power so I'm trying to decide whether to go after a 2011 (current gen) 335i or wait for the next gen 335i to come out. I'm conflicted for the following reasons:

1. The next gen 3 series is coming out in Spring of 2012. It will undoubtedly have more bells and whistles for the money, but from looking at spy shots I'm not sold on the exterior design.

2. The one thing I don't love about the E90 is the interior. High quality materials but the overall look is a bit outdated, especially with the goofy looking nav screen. From the few spy shots I've seen it looks like the new 3 series has stepped it up a bit in the interior dept, but it remains to be seen.

3. I'm in love with the current 3 series (E90/E92) in just about every other way but since production is about to end, stock is going to dwindle meaning the longer I wait the harder it will be to find a car that has the packages I want. If I wait until the F30 is officially unveiled (to determine if I like it or not) then it may be too late. I compromised when I bought my 328i but this next vehicle will need to be exactly what I want.

4. BMW has had its share of reliability issues and while I think the current gen is in fairly good shape now, who knows what types of problems will arise in the next gen 3 series.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? And is the 335i a huge difference in feel/performance over the 328i? I've driven one once before and was absolutely floored, but its been several years since (obviously I'll test drive one and other models before I buy)

My one buddy called and asked about the 2009 BMW 335d that has 2,900 kms. He offered them $40,000 cash on Saturday and through back and forth phone calls all Saturday, the dealer would only go to $42,000 and the sticker price is $42,995.

:lol

My one buddy called and asked about the 2009 BMW 335d that has 2,900 kms. He offered them $40,000 cash on Saturday and through back and forth phone calls all Saturday, the dealer would only go to $42,000 and the sticker price is $42,995.

:lol

walk in there with a bank check. Flash it in their face and then walk out. See if they'll call back :D

I really liked the ad but I dislike that little car. I don't know too much about it performance or quality wise but it seems overpriced. The convertible one is kinda cool though.

So I recently received my parent's 2006 Honda CRV. They bought it basically new and it's currently at 91k miles. I somehow doubt my parents really maintain their car regularly so I was wondering what I should be switching out, cleaning, etc. I'm pretty much a auto-noob, but I really want to take care of this vehicle, unlike the Honda Civic that I drove like a sportscar/SUV hybrid.

killertofu said:
So I recently received my parent's 2006 Honda CRV. They bought it basically new and it's currently at 91k miles. I somehow doubt my parents really maintain their car regularly so I was wondering what I should be switching out, cleaning, etc. I'm pretty much a auto-noob, but I really want to take care of this vehicle, unlike the Honda Civic that I drove like a sportscar/SUV hybrid.
Any idea what warranty they had? Ie. 4yrs/80,000kms, etc?

If so, did they maintain it and get oil changes done at the dealership?

Any idea what warranty they had? Ie. 4yrs/80,000kms, etc?

If so, did they maintain it and get oil changes done at the dealership?

I'm not sure but I know they got regular oil changes with their mechanic. After that, no idea.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
jonnybryce said:
I really liked the ad but I dislike that little car. I don't know too much about it performance or quality wise but it seems overpriced. The convertible one is kinda cool though.
How could you hate something so adorable?

^ It's too tiny!

Hell yes. Mazda has officially revealed the 2012 CX-5 and I think I want this little bad boy.

uFQOI.jpg

I really dig their new design language; style reminds me more of things like "future" and "armor" rather than their previous "melting" and "joker" (grill).

ascii42

jonnybryce said:
^ It's too tiny!

Hell yes. Mazda has officially revealed the 2012 CX-5 and I think I want this little bad boy.

I really dig their new design language; style reminds me more of things like "future" and "armor" rather than their previous "melting" and "joker" (grill).
So Mazda has a CX-5, MX-5, and Mazda5?

reilo

ascii42 said:
So Mazda has a CX-5, MX-5, and Mazda5?
CUV, drop-top roadster, minivan. Yes.

I'm digging the new design style a little better, but the CX-5 is not what I am interested seeing it on!

BaHxK.jpg

What does CarGAF have to say about them?

Also, the search continues for my 911. The one I was looking at got sold before I could decide if I wanted it or not, so I'm back on the hunt. I'd like a white one (maybe '08 or '09), but they seem hard to find indeed.

Also, have you guys seen the new body redesign? I wonder if I should wait until a date is announced for them so that I can save some $ on a used one.

a176

Banned
spats said:
Bought a 2001 Avensis last week. I was scared shitless for spending so much money on something but I was in a position where I practically needed a car. About 192,000km driven, kept really well, runs well and I'm feeling great about it, despite not really having any money after paying for tax and insurance.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you guys would have any general basic maintenance tips. Any good way to avoid corrosion? Do you paint over the dent if a rock chips off some of the paint or apply something else? I'm not that worried about the cosmetics, I bought the car to be a workhorse and I don't want it rusting on me.

021.JPG

is that the actual car you bought or something you googled because that looks unbelievably untouched for an-almost-200000km car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom