• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
MetalFearSolid said:
I am considering getting either an Acura TL 2004-2006, 2004-2006 Mazda Rx-8, or Mitsubishi Lancer 2008-09..any facts and problems I need to be aware about...

Also recommend other cars that are good, have little problems and don't eat gas that much I know I said Mazda Rx-8 but that is one of the big concerns I have with it..

You're considering three vastly different cars. One that's a decent, quick, reliable luxury sedan. Another that's a poorly engineered, gas guzzling, unreliable hunk of junk. And the third that's a bland, slow and ugly econobox. Unless by Lancer you meant Evolution...but it doesn't seem like you did.

Get the TL.

AlphaSnake

MetalFearSolid said:
How is the gas consumption on the TL?

Very, very good for a 3.2L V6. Don't listen to the post above this one. The G35 at the years you're looking at is rough riding, with worse build quality, lower quality of interior, slightly worse reliability, and is a gas guzzler, as well.

The TL is a fine, fine choice, despite being front-wheel drive. What kind of climates do you have? Where do you live?

Ovid

MetalFearSolid said:
Gas mileage isn't that great if you do alot of city driving. I get about 18 MPG in the city. Highway MPG's are a totally different story though. I've seen folks get 35+ MPG on the highway. Typical average is around 25 MPG.

The TL is a great car. I think the 04-06 TL's had 3rd gear transmission issue though. Those issues were addressed in the '07-'08 versions. Shouldn't deter you from getting one though.

A manual gearbox was available for 04-06 TL's. It was later dropped ('07-'08) and made available only in the Type-S. Finding a Type-S in manual is very difficult but not impossible.

Get the TL. You get more bang for your buck over a G35. I'm glad I did ;-)

If you want to compare fuel economy, look at sites like fuelly. I think it gives a better representation of what kind of fuel economy you are going to get.

BTW, I'd get the RX8 only because I'm into self-abuse.

MetalFearSolid said:
the TL is a car for old farts. if you want an acura, get a TSX. they're amazing and get way better gas mileage.

Acura TL 2004-2006, 2004-2006 Mazda Rx-8, or Mitsubishi Lancer 2008-09

that's an odd lineup. why are you choosing between a grandpa car, a proper sports car, and an econo box?

If you want something that combines all three, get a used 3-series or RSX.

AlphaSnake

akachan ningen said:
the TL is a car for old farts. if you want an acura, get a TSX. they're amazing and get way better gas mileage.

that's an odd lineup. why are you choosing between a grandpa car, a proper sports car, and an econo box?

Wtf? Don't ever give out advice again.

How is a TL an old man's car? You're thinking of the RL. Please stop giving out crappy advice. The TSX is not only slower, but it comes with a boring 4-banger that doles out all of 200HP on a luxury sedan. If anything, the TSX is more of grandad's car, since torqueless 4-bangers is what old people like.

Okay, I have budget of around 17-20 thousand dollars in cash. Looking to buy a new/used car. What are some good options? I am considering getting a used Lexus IS 250, but it seems like the used market is really hot now and some prices seem way too much for a used car. I'd prefer a sportier car. Nothing that requires a lot of money to maintain.

Enron

Banned
minx88 said:
Infinity G35 would be a better option over a TL I think.

It certainly is a more FUN option. Can't really go wrong with either.

andreweezer said:
Okay, I have budget of around 17-20 thousand dollars in cash. Looking to buy a new/used car. What are some good options? I am considering getting a used Lexus IS 250, but it seems like the used market is really hot now and some prices seem way too much for a used car. I'd prefer a sportier car. Nothing that requires a lot of money to maintain.

If you've got 20 grand, and you are looking at IS250s, then you should also be looking at Acura TLs or TSX/Infiniti Gs as well. I crossed the lexus IS series off my list early on because of their cost. Especially the 250; seems like a lot of money for such an underpowered car. TL or the G would be much better value.

What year did they start putting the v6 in the TSX? If its just recently, then a 6cyl TSX might be out of your price range.

Ovid

Enron said:
It certainly is a more FUN option. Can't really go wrong with either.

If you've got 20 grand, and you are looking at IS250s, then you should also be looking at Acura TLs or TSX/Infiniti Gs as well. I crossed the lexus IS series off my list early on because of their cost. Especially the 250; seems like a lot of money for such an underpowered car. TL or the G would be much better value.

What year did they start putting the v6 in the TSX? If its just recently, then a 6cyl TSX might be out of your price range.
The V6 option was added to the 2nd generation TSX (2010+). It's cost would be out of his price range.

The IS is in the same class as the TL and G35/37. The TL or G would be your best bet. The IS is way underpowered (not counting the IS350 or F series) and the interior is cramped. You'll pay alot more for the IS and get alot less.

ptolemy

I was watching this video of an on board camera capturing a hit and run.

What's GAF's opinion on this dash cameras? Think they'll have become a factory option or even fitted as standard in the future?

Ovid

akachan ningen said:

How old are you?

J-Rzez

andreweezer said:

Save your money at this point. There are some interesting cars that should be hitting in 9 months or so. From the Toyota FT-86/Scion FR-S/Subie Coupe, to the new Imprezza WRX (which I think is going to be a quick-surprise unveil next year) along with other cars that are probably due for some refreshes and other new models. Keep saving that money up, the more you have the more options you naturally have to boot. Also, rule of thumb is that the best time to buy a "sporty car" is late-fall through mid-winter when it comes to used. Though it may sound you're more interested in sporty-luxury? If so, the Lexus is just sporty looking, their performance is meh. An Acura TL would be able to match their looks with a sporty-car feel at least I think.

Thanks for the facts guys.. and btw TL is not for old farts..that is just stupid

What are some good color preferences for the TL?
I have seen White, Black, Greenish color, and blue(I think or it might be black spray paint that sparkles blue)

Ovid

MetalFearSolid said:
Thanks for the facts guys.. and btw TL is not for old farts..that is just stupid

What are some good color preferences for the TL?
I have seen White, Black, Greenish color, and blue(I think or it might be black spray paint that sparkles blue)
I think WDP (White Diamond Pearl) is by far the best color. I wish I got that color.

RBP (Royal Blue Pearl) is the blue color that you're talking about. That color was made available in 2006.

DGP (Deep Green Pearl) and RRP (Redondo Red Pearl) are super rare.

CGP (Carbon Grey Pearl) looks sexy at night.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
Very, very good for a 3.2L V6. Don't listen to the post above this one. The G35 at the years you're looking at is rough riding, with worse build quality, lower quality of interior, slightly worse reliability, and is a gas guzzler, as well.

The TL is a fine, fine choice, despite being front-wheel drive. What kind of climates do you have? Where do you live?
It gets okay mileage and I wouldn't call it a particularly rough riding car. source: I own one. My wife's aunt has a TL and it seems nice enough too.

Enron

Banned
The 3G TL that I very nearly bought was DGP. That's an awesome color. Just look at this thing.

2449550878_de76fcc385_b.jpg

Angry Grimace said:
It gets okay mileage and I wouldn't call it a particularly rough riding car. source: I own one.

Same here. I have no idea what Alpha meant by rough idling. This car doesn't idle rough.
It does get shitty gas mileage if you live in-town, like I do. That much is true at least.

Enron said:
The 3G TL that I very nearly bought was DGP. That's an awesome color. Just look at this thing.

2449550878_de76fcc385_b.jpg

Same here. I have no idea what Alpha meant by rough idling. This car doesn't idle rough.
It does get shitty gas mileage if you live in-town, like I do. That much is true at least.

Sunroof? Yes or No..No matter, just curious..

AlphaSnake

Enron said:

That's because you don't know how to read? Heck, even the post you quoted doesn't say "idling".

And yes, a G35 is a rough car compared to every one of its competitors. It's not even a discussion. Hit a bump, and it'll shatter your teeth. The original FM platform was not meant for smoothness - it was simply too harsh for these luxury cars, it was chastised for this a lot back in the days.

Enron

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
That's because you don't know how to read? Heck, even the post you quoted doesn't say "idling".

And yes, a G35 is a rough car compared to every one of its competitors. It's not even a discussion. Hit a bump, and it'll shatter your teeth. The original FM platform was not meant for smoothness - it was simply too harsh for these luxury cars, it was chastised for this a lot back in the days.

Ok, my bad. Rough "riding". Still, its not a rough car at all. The TLs that I drove I felt more of the road than I did in the Gs. That's not to say the G is smoothest ride or anything, its just not "teeth" shattering. I think I'd know if my teeth were shattered. Two G owners here say the car isn't that rough, but you insist that it is? Ok.

Also - "you don't know how to read?" Dude, was that really worth jumping down someone's throat over? You've been equally as rude and dismissive to two other posters on this very page - what is your problem?

AlphaSnake

Enron said:
Ok, my bad. Rough "riding". Still, its not a rough car at all. The TLs that I drove I felt more of the road than I did in the Gs. That's not to say the G is smoothest ride or anything, its just not "teeth" shattering. I think I'd know if my teeth were shattered. Two G owners here say the car isn't that rough, but you insist that it is? Ok.

Also - "you don't know how to read?" Dude, was that really worth jumping down someone's throat over? You've been equally as rude and dismissive to two other posters on this very page - what is your problem?

I've had a G35, an FX35, a 350Z, and now a 370Z. I've driven more cars than you can imagine, and it irks me to hell when someone gets on the forum and starts writing random gibberish like the TL is an old-man's car. Or plainly ignores to read a post thoroughly and proceeds to be confused about something I didn't say. Or when they recommend a G35 over a TL, and completely ignoring what it is the poster is seeking for in a sedan.

I've recommended Gs plenty of times here before, but I know when not to. Simply put, it's rougher car and is much worse on gas than the TL. The TL gets 18 & 26, while the G35 gets 16 & 23 (15 & 21 if AWD). The difference is especially huge with longer distance highway rides, where the TL can easily crest over 30MPG at 70MPH, while the G35 struggles to achieve the same. Having owned, driven, borrowed, whatever these cars...I speak from long term and real world experience.

AlphaSnake

GuessWho said:
anybody have any info on mistubishi, looking at the 2011 lancer ralliart.

Compare against Subaru WRX. The Ralliart is unusually expensive, and unusually underpowered compared to the WRX. The standard WRX now comes with pretty much the exact look of the STi, but costs $2K less, has nearly 270HP, and weighs 250lbs less than the Mitsu. It's a considerably better car, for less money.

Unless of course...you don't know how to drive stick, because the WRX only comes with a 5-speed manual.

Enron

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
I've had a G35, an FX35, a 350Z, and now a 370Z. I've driven more cars than you can imagine, and it irks me to hell when someone gets on the forum and starts writing random gibberish like the TL is an old-man's car. Or plainly ignores to read a post thoroughly and proceeds to be confused about something I didn't say. Or when they recommend a G35 over a TL, and completely ignoring what it is the poster is seeking for in a sedan.

If those are the kinds of things that "irk you to hell" and drive you to lash out at folks, perhaps you need to take a deep breath. Yeeesh....

AlphaSnake

Enron said:
If those are the kinds of things that "irk you to hell" and drive you to lash out at folks, perhaps you need to take a deep breath. Yeeesh....

I don't lose sleep over it. An irk to hell isn't the same as someone peeing in my cereal, for example. Or a nail piercing my balls. An irk is a pet peeve.

SonnyBoy

AlphaSnake said:
I don't lose sleep over it. An irk to hell isn't the same as someone peeing in my cereal, for example. Or a nail piercing my balls. An irk is a pet peeve.

Alpha, Im interested in your opinion on the 370z. I'm considering the possibility of getting one, or a used 335i.

Figured now that I have an account I should post this gift that my Father-In-Law gave me for Xmas. It is an EJ25 Subaru Motor table with an acrylic top. But watch the video to see why this isn't your ordinary car engine table.

EJ25 Subaru Table

AlphaSnake

SonnyBoy said:
Alpha, Im interested in your opinion on the 370z. I'm considering the possibility of getting one, or a used 335i.

Ask away. What would you like to know? I love the 335i, but I went with the 370Z during my car shopping. Though, I have convinced my girlfriend to get herself a 335i Coupe - currently in the process of finding the right one.

But yeah, ask questions. I can help.

J-Rzez

Shortt Sirket said:
Figured now that I have an account I should post this gift that my Father-In-Law gave me for Xmas. It is an EJ25 Subaru Motor table with an acrylic top. But watch the video to see why this isn't your ordinary car engine table.

EJ25 Subaru Table

That's very cool. For my man cave I want to do an engine block table myself. Even without shaft and pistons, but with a light inside to glow out of, like the one on Top Gear would be cool.

GuessWho said:
anybody have any info on mistubishi, looking at the 2011 lancer ralliart.

The WRX is superior in nearly every shape and form. They now have the same body as a new STI, and are technically quicker 0-60 since they require two shifts vs three. There is a TON of aftermarket support for the WRX as well. Plus trust me, the boxer motor sounds way better with an exhaust on it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SonnyBoy said:
Open-Diff FTL.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Open-Diff FTL.

Yeah, definitely the dagger for me. Love the car, definitely must be had with iDrive (otherwise the interior looks ugly and bland), but that much power with one-wheel-peel potential? No thanks.

Fortunately, Quaiffe LSDs have gotten considerably cheaper for them - $850 for unit. ~$200 for install. Still, this should've been a factory option on the RWD car. The AWD car can do without it for obvious reasons.

Legato.Reborn- said:
I am currently working for Sherwin-Williams Automotive Division.

Does anyone need some good paint?

:)

I could really use some help here. The clear coat on my '02 Accord has really gone to hell the past couple years.

5P9v8.jpg

After sanding down the trouble areas, would I be able apply a new clear coat? Or should I sand off all the clear coat?

I would like to apply a clear coat that can take lots of heat because my black car sits in the sun all day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, like how many coats to apply, what sand paper grits to use, etc.

Thanks!

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, definitely the dagger for me. Love the car, definitely must be had with iDrive (otherwise the interior looks ugly and bland), but that much power with one-wheel-peel potential? No thanks.

Fortunately, Quaiffe LSDs have gotten considerably cheaper for them - $850 for unit. ~$200 for install. Still, this should've been a factory option on the RWD car. The AWD car can do without it for obvious reasons.
That's good that there's a solution for that. But then you still gotta think about the HPFP...

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
That's good that there's a solution for that. But then you still gotta think about the HPFP...

The fuel pump is covered under warranty for 10 years/120K miles now. That's pretty awesome. Most people won't own a 3-series for that long.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
The fuel pump is covered under warranty for 10 years/120K miles now. That's pretty awesome. Most people won't own a 3-series for that long.
Didn't know that. It still is an issue for the modders though. No way that fuel-pump withstands unlocking the potential of that engine setup.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Didn't know that. It still is an issue for the modders though. No way that fuel-pump withstands unlocking the potential of that engine setup.

The turbos will blow before the fuel pump will under many instances, anyway. If you want tons of power out of the 335, you run the risk of destroying one or the other component. Once my GF gets hers, she's just going to do a light tune (40WHP) + intake for performance (20WHP). Then some wheels. CSL trunk.

Call it a day. :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ascii42 said:
That could be quite interesting if true. That diesel engine is more powerful than the 1.4L Turbo currently in the Cruze. The main question is how much it will cost.
GM has two years to figure it out. You can get a diesel-powered Cruze in Australia, so most of the engineering work is done. It's just a matter of meeting emissions regulations and pricing it reasonably to compete with the Volkswagen TDI lineup.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh ran over something on my way home last night from my GFs. Didn't see it in the road, and I knew as soon as it happened my back right tire was fubar. Having to pay for new tires this morning. :(

Enron

Banned
Brettison said:
Ugh ran over something on my way home last night from my GFs. Didn't see it in the road, and I knew as soon as it happened my back right tire was fubar. Having to pay for new tires this morning. :(

If it was in and around Ga Tech, it was probably a giant pothole. FU city of Atlanta. Or maybe a homeless person.

AlphaSnake said:

It might be covered but getting a new HPFP every 5 months wont be fun.

Neither will be the awesome carbon buildup on the valves.

There are so many TSB's on the N54 that I would stay far far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom