• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
CUV, drop-top roadster, minivan. Yes.

I'm digging the new design style a little better, but the CX-5 is not what I am interested seeing it on!

I'm interested in seeing a CX-7 with the new design language - I've tried to get on board with the current CX-7 but I really don't like the look. That larger size + the new swoops would be killer.

spats

a176 said:
is that the actual car you bought or something you googled because that looks unbelievably untouched for an-almost-200000km car

That's the actual car. 2 previous owners as far as I know.

Here's the interior.

082.JPG

Stock CD player works like new too. I'm going easy on it though. Aftermarket cd playes usually look like hell.

Yeah. I still listen to CD's in the car. Anyone else?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dreams-Visions said:
http://i.imgur.com/BaHxK.jpg[/IMG

What does CarGAF have to say about them?

Also, the search continues for my 911. The one I was looking at got sold before I could decide if I wanted it or not, so I'm back on the hunt. I'd like a white one (maybe '08 or '09), but they seem hard to find indeed.

Also, have you guys seen the new body redesign? I wonder if I should wait until a date is announced for them so that I can save some $ on a used one.[/QUOTE]
I'd go for the '09s with the direct-injection engines -- more power and better fuel economy ftw.

And yeah, the moment the new model comes out, the older models will drop in value.

The battery change costs 400 dollars because the ecu has to be reset when the battery is taken out.
You have to manually reprogram it.
Coilpacks cost about 100 bucks each and there are 8 of them.

Also if you are getting your work done at a dealer you are getting fucked over, hard.

So does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of the JBD performance tuner for the BMW 335d?:

JBD_Diesel_BMW_Performance_Chip.jpg

It's supposed to give you an additional 60+ horse and 100+ lbs of torque.

Not too shabby.

Link

Smokey

I've been seeing more and more new 5 series around here.

God damn it looks amazing to me. Dem lines. Also am I the only one or does it look like a 7 series? I always look twice as the car looks long from the side. Really liking the redesign.

Enron

Banned
Smokey said:
I've been seeing more and more new 5 series around here.

God damn it looks amazing to me. Dem lines. Also am I the only one or does it look like a 7 series? I always look twice as the car looks long from the side. Really liking the redesign.

Its..........too long.

Pein

Banned
spats said:

Here's the interior.

082.JPG

Stock CD player works like new too. I'm going easy on it though. Aftermarket cd playes usually look like hell.

my G35 doesn't have an aux jack or ipod connection so yeah CDs for the foreseeable future for me.

Enron

Banned
Pein said:
my G35 doesn't have an aux jack or ipod connection so yeah CDs for the foreseeable future for me.

There's a way you can use the Sat radio input for your ipod if you don't actually use Sat radio.

Or you can do a DD swap, but that will probably run like 600-800 bucks.

Pein said:
Are you looking to sell the car in the near future? If not, I'd get it done. Way more convenient and no clutter of CDs and their cases.

nitewulf

how reliable are 328i hard top convertibles? i am talking about certified pre-owned 2008+ models.

on the same note, i got a good deal on a Benz CLK 350, beautiful car. are there any issues with this model?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Benzes in general are not reliable cars. I'd definitely go for the 328i...but the added weight of the convertible car really hurts the experience and enjoyment. Plus, don't you live in NYC? Convertibles are rather pointless here, imo. Get the coupe.

AlphaSnake

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Get a Benz E320 CDI Bluetec and that thing is bullet proof.

No it isn't. Benzes suffer all sorts of issues with transmissions, sensors, and pumps. Just avoid them - they are awful cars.

nitewulf

hmm, yeah i may have to settle for a 328xi coupe, found one at a really low mileage. cant seem to find a convertible which ISN'T white. who the fuck drives a white car...

the 328xi is in nice shape, black on black...and its all wheel drive, so i guess i'll make do with the sun roof.

cajunator

Banned
spats said:

Here's the interior.

082.JPG

I have like 7 different ways to listen to music in my car (SYNC) and I still listen to CDs the majority of the time.

h1nch

Went and test drove a 2011 Audi S4 yesterday. Great ride but there were a lot of little things that put me off, mostly nit-picky things

- Interior design is fantastic but there is a lot more hard plastic that I would have liked and the buttons felt cheap compared to a BMW. Also, the gauges are a bit to race-y, they remind me of a corvette instrument cluster which is tacky

- Seats are comfortable but have that recaro look that I hate.

- Car has bluetooth phone integration but no ability to stream audio over bluetooth. WTF? Also, ipod/iphone hookups are in the glove box. Why do automakers do this? Put it in the center console where I can reach it.

I could easily forgive all of those things if the car wasn't so goddamn expensive. I'll keep working with the dealership but I doubt I'll be able to get a price anywhere near what I could get a fully loaded 335i

AlphaSnake

h1nch said:
Went and test drove a 2011 Audi S4 yesterday. Great ride but there were a lot of little things that put me off, mostly nit-picky things

- Interior design is fantastic but there is a lot more hard plastic that I would have liked and the buttons felt cheap compared to a BMW. Also, the gauges are a bit to race-y, they remind me of a corvette instrument cluster which is tacky

- Seats are comfortable but have that recaro look that I hate.

- Car has bluetooth phone integration but no ability to stream audio over bluetooth. WTF? Also, ipod/iphone hookups are in the glove box. Why do automakers do this? Put it in the center console where I can reach it.

I could easily forgive all of those things if the car wasn't so goddamn expensive. I'll keep working with the dealership but I doubt I'll be able to get a price anywhere near what I could get a fully loaded 335i

1) Agreed on some of the plastics. Disagree on the gauge.

2) Those seats are optional. I believe the S4 has either 2 or 3 different seat types.

3) I'm pretty sure you can. But you don't want to, trust me. Bluetooth audio stream quality is fuck awful. I have it on my 370Z, and I used it once and laughed at how absurdly low-fi it is. Likewise, tried it on my cousin's fully loaded 2012 Q5...same deal, awful. The reason why the iPod cable is in the glove box is very simple: once it's connected the Audi MMI takes over. The iPod gets locked and your entire collection will be displayed via the MMI screen - it's much, much better than having a cord run down the center of your console, with your iPod taking up a cup holder. Since the iPod becomes functionless, why have it add clutter?

Lagspike_exe said:
Which year? Current gen launch year MB E-Class models had terrible reliability problems along the GLKs from the same year.
I know countless people with diesel Benzs, mainly E320 Diesels ranging from 2000-2009 and the engines are bullet proof.

AlphaSnake

I know countless people with diesel Benzs, mainly E320 Diesels ranging from 2000-2009 and the engines are bullet proof.

A car is more than just an engine. Most cars these days have reliable motors. The problem is everything else.

AlphaSnake said:
A car is more than just an engine. Most cars these days have reliable motors. The problem is everything else.
They honestly haven't experienced whatever you're getting at in these diesel models.

Are you maybe talking about 2010-2011 diesel models?

Ripclawe

Banned
Got an Avic Z1 system in my new used car and Its just the unit, no mp3 adapter, maps haven't been updated since 2007. is it worth paying for the updates or just junk it? I have better looking maps on my EVO 4 G and easier to run internet and mp3 tunes thru a plug in radio unit.

AlphaSnake

They honestly haven't experienced whatever you're getting at in these diesel models.

Are you maybe talking about 2010-2011 diesel models?

I'm talking about all Benzes in general. Reliability is not something associated with a Benz.

I'm going to start high and ask $12K.
That's roughly the market price in my area the past year. I've been eyeing local classifieds on the E34's and seen them go for up to $15K for a mint one. Other E34 M5's I've seen in other parts of the country go lower.

h1nch said:
Audi always seems a bit over-priced when compared directly to a 335. BUT...it does come with some things standard that the BMW doesn't. I think the wheels are bigger and the leather is of marginally higher grade. whether those things are worth the extra thousands is something only you can decide.

Giant Robot said:
I'm going to start high and ask $12K.
That's roughly the market price in my area the past year. I've been eyeing local classifieds on the E34's and seen them go for up to $15K for a mint one. Other E34 M5's I've seen in other parts of the country go lower.
Good luck dude. Always good to aim high. I'm doing the same with my 2006 Jetta TDI.

Good luck dude. Always good to aim high. I'm doing the same with my 2006 Jetta TDI.

yea, i always aim high full knowing that I am going to get lower offers. I'm in no hurry to sell it either since I have another car. But i'm not going to take $5k or whatever for it.

Giant Robot said:
yea, i always aim high full knowing that I am going to get lower offers. I'm in no hurry to sell it either since I have another car. But i'm not going to take $5k or whatever for it.
I agree. You always have to deal with idiots. One guy came out to see my car and said he didn't buy it because it lacks the original factory deck in it. Quite funny considering I mentioned in my ad that I've added a new media deck to my car and there's a pic of it.

He also claimed he brought a certified cheque too. :lol

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Massive BMW fan checking in. My dad and I have had 7 of them between the two of us. My first car was an '89 325i with 200k+ miles, second was a '93 325is, third (and currently) is a 2004 330i ZHP. I've had it for 4+ years and I'm still in love with it. In fact, on my 23rd birthday, I traded it in for an FJ Cruiser, went back the next day and traded back in the FJ and bought back my car. Lost money, but such is life.

Hoping to take Euro delivery of a 335is next July for my 24th. Props to the other BMW guys in this thread! I'm on bimmerforums.com too but haven't logged on in 6mo or so. Community sucks now. Pic of my 330 before I lowered it:

4294379360_22c6e5acc8.jpg

4294381144_ba13ac2b8d.jpg

nitewulf

Nice looking car dude. I'm going to be a first time Bimmer owner in a couple of weeks. :)
i am joining the club as well, i just got a 328i Red on Red, hardtop convertible.

h1nch

AlphaSnake said:
1) Agreed on some of the plastics. Disagree on the gauge.

2) Those seats are optional. I believe the S4 has either 2 or 3 different seat types.

3) I'm pretty sure you can. But you don't want to, trust me. Bluetooth audio stream quality is fuck awful. I have it on my 370Z, and I used it once and laughed at how absurdly low-fi it is. Likewise, tried it on my cousin's fully loaded 2012 Q5...same deal, awful. The reason why the iPod cable is in the glove box is very simple: once it's connected the Audi MMI takes over. The iPod gets locked and your entire collection will be displayed via the MMI screen - it's much, much better than having a cord run down the center of your console, with your iPod taking up a cup holder. Since the iPod becomes functionless, why have it add clutter?

Good point on #3. I can just drop a nano in there and not think about it anymore. I was just thinking it would be convenient to stream music from my iphone as I keep most of my music on there already, plus i have spotify

I want to test drive a 335i but the lame ass BMW dealerships here have yet to contact me back. So far the Audi dealership has been really good as far as customer service goes, though I doubt I'll be able to get a very good deal on an S4

Smokey

nitewulf said:
how reliable are 328i hard top convertibles? i am talking about certified pre-owned 2008+ models.

on the same note, i got a good deal on a Benz CLK 350, beautiful car. are there any issues with this model?

I bought a CPO 2008 335i convert 3 months ago. Had 24k miles on it. I've had zero problems and right now I have 29.6k miles on it. Took it in for the 30k since I had to get my oil changed anyway and no issues there either.

Love mine to death. Dat roof back feels good man. Gonna throw some mods on it in a couple of months, and get it chipped.

qn8wac.jpg

Although I realize I'll probably run into issues down the road, I'm covered until 100k/2014 so I'll worry about that when it comes lol.

AlphaSnake said:
Benzes in general are not reliable cars. I'd definitely go for the 328i...but the added weight of the convertible car really hurts the experience and enjoyment. Plus, don't you live in NYC? Convertibles are rather pointless here, imo. Get the coupe.

With the top up feels pretty damn quick to me. With it down the weight is more noticeable. When it's down though it's less about speed and more about chillin :). Although there's been less of that lately thanks to hot as fuck Texans 110 weather my god.

When the payments of this are over I'm hoping to upgrade to a M3 or M5. Much as I wanted to get one this time I around I ran into a good deal on the 335i and had to jump on it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dreams-Visions said:
BaHxK.jpg

What does CarGAF have to say about them?

Also, the search continues for my 911. The one I was looking at got sold before I could decide if I wanted it or not, so I'm back on the hunt. I'd like a white one (maybe '08 or '09), but they seem hard to find indeed.

Also, have you guys seen the new body redesign? I wonder if I should wait until a date is announced for them so that I can save some $ on a used one.

I want a 911 too but probably an 99-01 Carrera non turbo lol...

I wonder how stupid the maintenance costs are.

I wish I had the money for a 997 ughzor.. I'll have to get a bodykit and see how it turns out lol...

AlphaSnake

Smokey said:
I bought a CPO 2008 335i convert 3 months ago. Had 24k miles on it. I've had zero problems and right now I have 29.6k miles on it. Took it in for the 30k since I had to get my oil changed anyway and no issues there either.

Love mine to death. Dat roof back feels good man. Gonna throw some mods on it in a couple of months, and get it chipped.

qn8wac.jpg

Although I realize I'll probably run into issues down the road, I'm covered until 100k/2014 so I'll worry about that when it comes lol.

With the top up feels pretty damn quick to me. With it down the weight is more noticeable. When it's down though it's less about speed and more about chillin :). Although there's been less of that lately thanks to hot as fuck Texans 110 weather my god.

When the payments of this are over I'm hoping to upgrade to a M3 or M5. Much as I wanted to get one this time I around I ran into a good deal on the 335i and had to jump on it.

You have a 335i, though. I test drove one last month with three people (salesman, girlfriend, and me) and it hauled great for being a convertible. Girlfriend's aching for a CPO 335i xDrive Coupe. Just can't seem to find any decent ones with iDrive and less than 30K miles.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Man, trying to sell a car privately can really start to grate on you with all these tire kickers and tools in general.

Just a matter of time before I snap on someone.

Literal tire kickers? LOL..

magicstop

Here's a question for ya, autoGAF... What is a reasonable amount of money I can expect to talk a dealer down on a new vehicle that is being sold at MSRP (of around 20k - 23k)? I know you can usually do better than MSRP, but by how much? Sorry if this has been asked... Mega threads scare me.

Noshino

I'm thinking of getting a new car, but I wanted some advice, so I come to you AutoGAF for help.

This is my criteria:

- No more than 20k USD
- No trucks
- Something that at least looks decent
- Fun to drive
- Drives well in Chicago (shittiest weather I have seen: Hot, Rain, Snow, Storms, Hail, Windy)

Im pretty bad at coming up with choices, so if you guys can come up with some it would make things a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom