• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
YuriLowell said:
so im considering selling off one of my e36 m3's and picking up an 03.5+ E46 M3.

Pics of Current M3.

Bonus Picture of my E30:

Both are hot. Is it going to be you DD? You clearly Auto X the e30, so it depends on what you want it for. I'll assume that your e36 is in good mechanical condition at YOUR expense over the last few years. The last thing I would want to worry about with an e46 M3 is having to take over a whole slew of things that are "soon to fail." If you can find one with a solid history of upkeep, I'd jump on it.

Also, you have TWO e36 M3s? Yeah. Sell one. I adore my e46.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Noshino said:
I'm thinking of getting a new car, but I wanted some advice, so I come to you AutoGAF for help.

This is my criteria:

- No more than 20k USD
- No trucks
- Something that at least looks decent
- Fun to drive
- Drives well in Chicago (shittiest weather I have seen: Hot, Rain, Snow, Storms, Hail, Windy)

Im pretty bad at coming up with choices, so if you guys can come up with some it would make things a lot easier.

Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo (2006+)
BMW 330xi (2006+)
Audi A4 Quattro (2007+)
Audi A3 Quattro (2007+)
Infiniti G35x (2007+)

Amagon

soujiro_seta said:
Dealer refuses to honor Nissan GT-R eBay auction

Original thread from My350Z

The lulz

2il0qar.png
This dude better get his GT-R for the price he won it for! :eek:

EDIT: The dealership is owning up now, about time!

UPDATE: Honda San Marcos owner Randall Ammons returned our request for a comment. Ammons told us that the dealership plans on honoring the agreed upon eBay auction price. Ammons said over the phone, “Bottom line, the person who listed it did so incorrectly; that’s our fault.” Ammons continued, “We spent years getting a great reputation, and a deal’s a deal, we’re going to honor it.” Ammons said they’ve contacted Vang and are currently waiting to hear back from him. While Honda San Marcos’ initial reaction might not have been the best, we applaud Ammons for making things right. Mr. Vang, if you’re reading this, get in contact with them – Godzilla’s waiting!

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/gt-r-for-5...#ixzz1UZqUA1bj

nitewulf

Smokey said:
I bought a CPO 2008 335i convert 3 months ago. Had 24k miles on it. I've had zero problems and right now I have 29.6k miles on it. Took it in for the 30k since I had to get my oil changed anyway and no issues there either.

Love mine to death. Dat roof back feels good man. Gonna throw some mods on it in a couple of months, and get it chipped.

qn8wac.jpg

Although I realize I'll probably run into issues down the road, I'm covered until 100k/2014 so I'll worry about that when it comes lol.

With the top up feels pretty damn quick to me. With it down the weight is more noticeable. When it's down though it's less about speed and more about chillin :). Although there's been less of that lately thanks to hot as fuck Texans 110 weather my god.

When the payments of this are over I'm hoping to upgrade to a M3 or M5. Much as I wanted to get one this time I around I ran into a good deal on the 335i and had to jump on it.
Awesome ride...did you get an extended warranty?

themadhatter444 said:
Both are hot. Is it going to be you DD? You clearly Auto X the e30, so it depends on what you want it for. I'll assume that your e36 is in good mechanical condition at YOUR expense over the last few years. The last thing I would want to worry about with an e46 M3 is having to take over a whole slew of things that are "soon to fail." If you can find one with a solid history of upkeep, I'd jump on it.

Also, you have TWO e36 M3s? Yeah. Sell one. I adore my e46.

Yes, I have done all the work to both myself which has help cutdown on most costly repairs. My friend wants to buy my other e36 m3.

E30 is for AutoX and general dicking around.

Now my BMW dealer has an Exiege S. Its about 10 grand more then a e46 m3, but god damn if its not one of the best looking cars ever.

JackEtc

Hey guys, another question.

These are the headlights on my 2007 Jetta:

Xfw4p.jpg

Currently, the Daytime Running Lights are the farthest out light, and the brights are the center light. The turn signals are the inner-most light.

7kitc.jpg

Whenever I turn on my headlights, the "halos" around the DRL and the brights turn on. Quite frankly, they barely make a difference. So I was wondering if it would be possible to rewire the headlights so that the halos were the DRLs, and they would be the only thing on during the daytime. I think it might look cooler, but is it possible and easy enough to do?

Thanks.

AlphaSnake

I think those eBay projector lights are supposed to have the halos as the DRL. But you're probably better off asking someone at VWVortex forums. I'm a little concerned about the install of these lights...your daytime running lights should not be coming through that projector. The projector is supposed to be the main source of lighting, the middle should be the highbeam, and the halos are supposed to be the the DRL by default.

Every car I've seen with those eBay housings is setup that way.

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
I think those eBay projector lights are supposed to have the halos as the DRL. But you're probably better off asking someone at VWVortex forums. I'm a little concerned about the install of these lights...your daytime running lights should not be coming through that projector. The projector is supposed to be the main source of lighting, the middle should be the highbeam, and the halos are supposed to be the the DRL by default.

Every car I've seen with those eBay housings is setup that way.
Yeah, I almost sort of felt like the halos were MEANT to be the DRLs, and they were installed incorrectly. Posted a thread on VWVortex.

You said you were "concerned"....are you just saying you think they might just be wrong, or are you saying they could somehow damage something?

AlphaSnake

JackEtc said:
Yeah, I almost sort of felt like the halos were MEANT to be the DRLs, and they were installed incorrectly. Posted a thread on VWVortex.

You said you were "concerned"....are you just saying you think they might just be wrong, or are you saying they could somehow damage something?

Just that they seem to be installed wrong.

JackEtc

AlphaSnake said:
Just that they seem to be installed wrong.
Alright.

I need to find a place that could do this kind of work on my car....I don't think the Volkswagen dealer does stuff like this, no clue who does. Or I need to find a service manual.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
YuriLowell said:
so im considering selling off one of my e36 m3's and picking up an 03.5+ E46 M3.

you mean after June 2003? So a facelift with the LED rear lights? Defintely go for it, E46 M3 is a fantastic car. Won't feel as immediate to you as you have a couple of light ones already - its a lot heavier than the E30! But I love that metallic raspy engine note.

AlphaSnake

mrklaw said:
you mean after June 2003? So a facelift with the LED rear lights? Defintely go for it, E46 M3 is a fantastic car. Won't feel as immediate to you as you have a couple of light ones already - its a lot heavier than the E30! But I love that metallic raspy engine note.

Wtf? You are forever alone on that one, dude. I've never heard anyone say that before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AlphaSnake said:
Wtf? You are forever alone on that one, dude. I've never heard anyone say that before.

better than the shitty whine on my Boxster. Apparantly its 'a feature'? Fuck that. Having to drive everywhere at 4k+ revs to drown it out.

Just ordered this little guy this past weekend. Slotted for Week 38 production so I should have it mid-late October/early November.

I'm excited.

It is a 2012 Mini Coupe S - These are the brand new roadster type models that are launching this October. I have the first one ordered at the dealership. I got to sit in one as they took multiple Coupes across dealerships this summer so people could see them.

I use to own a 2007 Mini Cooper S but traded it for my 2010 MazdaSpeed3. I've been wanting to get back into a Mini for quite some time. I really like it being a new model and it having a really unique look.

Got it in Spice Orange/Black Stripes and Black 17" Wheels. Also got black Xenon Headlamp casings to go with the color. Stoked to see that BMW is trying out the retractable spoiler on this Mini for the first time in BMW history so it will be a cool little feature.

I'm excited :)

Exterior

281907_10150326432040399_560865398_9762607_1901173_n.jpg

Interior

EHpxp.jpg

Sweet ride dude.

I love the look of the mini coupes.

Went to look at this 05 M3 yesterday and its really clean, but the women threw a shitfit at the thought of bringing another car home.

Looks like its time to go F/I with my e36.

Viperbah

That's the first I have seen of the new Minis, looks good....congrats!

YuriLowell said:
Went to look at this 05 M3 yesterday and its really clean, but the women threw a shitfit at the thought of bringing another car home.

lol, I go through this monthly. I recently sold a Trans Am , so all I have now is the vette.

I want to trade in my civic for another lsx car to daily or get a project. Every time I bring it up, she flips out.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:

Thank God my girlfriend loves cars. I couldn't imagine dealing with shit like that. No offense.

that Mini Cooper is ballin.

BMW has owned Mini for what? about a decade now? That car seems cooler in every way than any car in that class. Like a Beetle for men. I'd be happy to be seen in one of these. A beetle, not so much.

AlphaSnake said:
Thank God my girlfriend loves cars. I couldn't imagine dealing with shit like that. No offense.

She likes cars, but shes upset that she is still driving an '01 accord.

I really think shes just jelly.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:
She likes cars, but shes upset that she is still driving an '01 accord.

I really think shes just jelly.

o she mad? Hahaha.

Hook her up with something new, man. I love it when my girlfriend wants to buy a new car.

AlphaSnake said:
o she mad? Hahaha.

Hook her up with something new, man. I love it when my girlfriend wants to buy a new car.

I need to, but her current job just is not bringing in the dough she needs.

Thinking of getting her a new civic coupe. Shes tired of driving a "bigger" car.

Raistlin

Just ordered a fully loaded '12 Focus 5-door Titanium edition. Can't wait until it arrives.

Went with the sterling grey metallic paint, red Tuscany interior, and 17" painted rims. Basically it will look like this, but with a few more trim/accents and a moon roof.

photo2.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo7.jpg

2012_ford_focus_fint_ct_218111_717.jpg

I'll be making a few mods - mild window tinting, tinting the reverse lights, LED daytime running lights, and (colored maybe) LED interior floor lighting are the first items on my list.

asdad123

Picked up a 2011 Kia Optima EX for $20,150 last week. Sticker price was 24,350. I think i did pretty good :D

2dtt2iv.jpg

30mspxj.jpg

15nm2vb.jpg

I love the car, and I love the price for it even more. I put a down payment of 7000 plus my trade in got me another $3000 (2001 Ford Escape). My monthly payment is only $188.

Getting HIDs in the lights and fog lights put in next week by a friend who works in a mechanic shop. Cant wait.

YuriLowell said:
Sweet ride dude.

I love the look of the mini coupes.

Looks like its time to go F/I with my e36.

how about you add to your BMW stable and buy my E34 M5 ;)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
camry-pdfcap.jpg

At quick glance I thought it was a Kia.

On another subject...

Now CR is taking its criticism of Honda one step further, pointing out that several recent model updates have fallen short of CR's expectations. The Civic received an overall score of 78 back in 2006, but the new model scores only 61. The Pilot received a smaller drop from 2005 to 2009, going from a score of 79 to a 74. The Odyssey, too, took a hit, as the 2011 model scored an 83, down from the previous model's 91. Those models all show a clear decline in scores, but all-new models have fared even worse. The Insight managed to receive a 54, while the CR-Z could only muster a score of 57.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/10/consumer-reports-chronicles-decline-in-hondas-design-co/

MiniBossBattle said:
Any news on the Subaru's version of the FT 86? My wife and I are probably going to buy a new car next year and I hope the FT 86 is coming out soon.

The only news I have seen is reports about the scion version.

Zyzyxxz

Drove a Buick Enclave as a rental car, I must say color me impressed!

For the price I'd take it over a German SUV anyway. Yes the interior and center console aren't what one would call sexy but with the money I save I'd have plenty to spend on making it look decent.

Smokey

Saw a white SLS today on the road while heading out to lunch..nice in person but I still think it looks weird if that makes sense. Maybe it was the color. White didn't seem to "fit" the car to me. Dat exhaust though. Sounds so good.

ascii42

Zyzyxxz said:
Drove a Buick Enclave as a rental car, I must say color me impressed!

For the price I'd take it over a German SUV anyway. Yes the interior and center console aren't what one would call sexy but with the money I save I'd have plenty to spend on making it look decent.
Yeah, I like the Enclave. I don't think they differentiated it enough from the Chevy Traverse on the outside (they did a lot better with the GMC Acadia in that regard), but the interior is nice and comfortable for the money.

Smokey said:
Saw a white SLS today on the road while heading out to lunch..nice in person but I still think it looks weird if that makes sense. Maybe it was the color. White didn't seem to "fit" the car to me. Dat exhaust though. Sounds so good.

yea, its super long, low, and sleek. When i first saw it in press photos and such I HATED it. In person it really is something else. That exhaust note is fucking burly too. Usually I dislike most Mercedes design, but the SLS is just insane and appreciative to look at.

balddemon

Banned
My friend mentioned to me that he's looking at a GTO, and while telling me about it, he mentioned stainless steel headers like they actually increase performance? Do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom