• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascii42

twinturbo2 said:
GM has two years to figure it out. You can get a diesel-powered Cruze in Australia, so most of the engineering work is done. It's just a matter of meeting emissions regulations and pricing it reasonably to compete with the Volkswagen TDI lineup.
Yeah, not sure why GM needs two years to figure it out. But that's GM for you.

J-Rzez

QualityPixel said:
I could really use some help here. The clear coat on my '02 Accord has really gone to hell the past couple years.

After sanding down the trouble areas, would I be able apply a new clear coat? Or should I sand off all the clear coat?

I would like to apply a clear coat that can take lots of heat because my black car sits in the sun all day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, like how many coats to apply, what sand paper grits to use, etc.

Thanks!

With that much damage to the clear I would sand down the entire roof to be honest. You should look up the DIY tutorials on the web for that then. But you'll probably end up using some medium grit sand paper and wet sanding it all off, then a fine grade, then clear it 2-3 coats (pending on product), then ultra-fine sanding with a block to make it even, then running a polisher over it a few times to bring out the shine.

Black is the worst color to maintain though, it requires the most attention. To avoid this from happening, especially if it's out in the sun a lot, you need to use a good quality wax/polish/sealant, meaning basically nothing you can buy at Walmart or Autozones. You'll want to go to somewhere like www.autogeek.net and browse their selections there. They have some great articles and videos there to make it easier for you to decide what you need, and how to use it the best.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
J-Rzez said:
With that much damage to the clear I would sand down the entire roof to be honest. You should look up the DIY tutorials on the web for that then. But you'll probably end up using some medium grit sand paper and wet sanding it all off, then a fine grade, then clear it 2-3 coats (pending on product), then ultra-fine sanding with a block to make it even, then running a polisher over it a few times to bring out the shine.

Black is the worst color to maintain though, it requires the most attention. To avoid this from happening, especially if it's out in the sun a lot, you need to use a good quality wax/polish/sealant, meaning basically nothing you can buy at Walmart or Autozones. You'll want to go to somewhere like www.autogeek.net and browse their selections there. They have some great articles and videos there to make it easier for you to decide what you need, and how to use it the best.

Yeah, that's some pretty awful oxidation going on there. If sanding, then polishing doesn't fix that, you'll have to repaint the roof. Luckily, the roof is a very tiny part of the car that's actually the easiest to paint. :)

MisterNoisy

QualityPixel said:
I could really use some help here. The clear coat on my '02 Accord has really gone to hell the past couple years.

http://i.imgur.com/5P9v8.jpg

After sanding down the trouble areas, would I be able apply a new clear coat? Or should I sand off all the clear coat?

I would like to apply a clear coat that can take lots of heat because my black car sits in the sun all day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, like how many coats to apply, what sand paper grits to use, etc.

Thanks!

Holy crap. You wouldn't happen to park somewhere on Mercury would you? You're looking at repainting the whole roof, though it shouldn't be horrifically expensive. I'd seriously look at picking up a car cover (as annoying as they are to put on and take off) after you do, too.

I am not sure of a good place to share them, but on Google Plus (http://gplus.to/ShorttSirket) I have two amazing Group B documentaries shared.

They are "Too Fast to Race" and "Still too Fast to Race." If you can find them somewhere else easier, then definitely do that. They are incredible and detail the rise and fall of Group B really well.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:
What does everyone think of Audi's new headlamp treatment? Here's some pics of it on the A5/S5...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/13/2012-audi-a5-s5-get-a-nip-tuck/

That's fucking sexy as hell! Now in retrospect the single LED strips look tacky compared to now.

MisterNoisy said:
I dig it - it looks super slick and technical - like they're taking cues from the TRON aesthetic. Now they just need to stop with the huge grilles.

What's wrong with the grill? It's signature Audi man, I'd rather not have it look so similar to the rest of the automakers like Toyota, Mercedes, and Honda as it differentiates them.

AlphaSnake

tarius1210 said:
I like it. The LED lighting will flow better.

I'm thinking it will look alot like the 2011 Ford Taurus LED strip (front corner). You don't see the individual LED's, it just looks frosted. Looks alot more classy.

I'm convinced Ford stole that idea from me when I did it to my 350Z a few years prior.

MisterNoisy

Zyzyxxz said:
What's wrong with the grill? It's signature Audi man, I'd rather not have it look so similar to the rest of the automakers like Toyota, Mercedes, and Honda as it differentiates them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. I really like most of what Audi is doing as far as styling goes, but that giant coarse grille they insist on using just looks garish to me on everything that also has that big, blunt nose (basically everything but the R8 and TT).

To be fair, it probably doesn't help that I'm in FL - when I see them, there's no front plate to break up that giant expanse of black plastic.

Couple things:

So my car got in a wreck and I needed a car fast. I wanted to get a TSX or RSX but I couldn't get exactly what I wanted so I gave up until I can pay for one in cash.

So I bought a 97 VW Golf out of need and desperation for 1.5k and like...I actually like the car, like really like it because the gas mileage is fucking amazing, it kinda blows my mind actually and makes me want a hybrid car. I honestly got it for the temporary but I might really keep it for a minute. The exterior is pretty bad but mechanically the car is great.

So I really want a Sunroof and it needs a paint job. What's it like putting a sunroof into a car that wasn't mean to have a sun roof cost wise? I don't need an automatic one as much as I just want one, I love sunroofs.

Also I hear that you can do a paint job yourself with spray paint and other things. Does anyone know about this?

ssolitare said:
Couple things:

So my car got in a wreck and I needed a car fast. I wanted to get a TSX or RSX but I couldn't get exactly what I wanted so I gave up until I can pay for one in cash.

So I bought a 97 VW Golf out of need and desperation for 1.5k and like...I actually like the car, like really like it because the gas mileage is fucking amazing, it kinda blows my mind actually and makes me want a hybrid car. I honestly got it for the temporary but I might really keep it for a minute. The exterior is pretty bad but mechanically the car is great.

So I really want a Sunroof and it needs a paint job. What's it like putting a sunroof into a car that wasn't mean to have a sun roof cost wise? I don't need an automatic one as much as I just want one, I love sunroofs.

Also I hear that you can do a paint job yourself with spray paint and other things. Does anyone know about this?

Adding a sunroof changes the rigidity of the entire car frame. I don't think its such an easy mod.

Also, you could paint your car with spray paint but it would look like shit.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Adding a sunroof changes the rigidity of the entire car frame. I don't think its such an easy mod.

Also, you could paint your car with spray paint but it would look like shit.

Well it would be an improvement because the paint already looks bad lol. There are just scratches and shit everywhere and I don't wanna spend 1200 on a paint job. I mean I could do $500 but it'll look like shit so I'd rather spend $200 and make it look like shit.

robox

ssolitare said:

there are aftermarket sunroof installations available. the cost is around 1400, from what i've seen. so basically, almost as much as what you got your car for.

J-Rzez

new-subaru-WRX-illustration.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1107_subaru_wrx_to_go_its_own_way/index.html

If this is true, I'll be there day one. I almost expected this, as Subaru was looking to get back into competitive rallying, and this fits the bill going against all of those other tasty hot-hatches.

Vormund

ssolitare said:
Well it would be an improvement because the paint already looks bad lol. There are just scratches and shit everywhere and I don't wanna spend 1200 on a paint job. I mean I could do $500 but it'll look like shit so I'd rather spend $200 and make it look like shit.

Forget about the sunroof on a car like that. Also, you might be able to clean up the paint a bit. Try Meguiars ColorX as a starting point. Pics would be handy.

J-Rzez

akachan ningen said:
gross! it looks like an Eclipse with more vents and the ugliest spoiler in the world.

The spoiler wouldn't make it, but I believe the rest of it looks good (well minus those off-placed vents on/behind the doors). The article is interesting though. They're planning on moving the WRX/STI to it's own platform, totally separating it from the Impret-za (Top Gear reference). Sensible move, and it sounds good on all accounts. They need this to be more competitive in motorsports, especially how those fiestas are tearing up rally events.

MisterNoisy

J-Rzez said:
new-subaru-WRX-illustration.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1107_subaru_wrx_to_go_its_own_way/index.html

If this is true, I'll be there day one. I almost expected this, as Subaru was looking to get back into competitive rallying, and this fits the bill going against all of those other tasty hot-hatches.

I'm going to guess that's a MT-made concept render - it looks pretty awful, with a 6-7' wheelbase and what seems to be a 26" wheel/tire package.

I have a feeling that if they separate the WRX and the Impreza, the WRX will be based on the joint Toyota/Subaru RWD/AWD platform that's being used for the FR-S

J-Rzez

MisterNoisy said:
I'm going to guess that's a MT-made concept render - it looks pretty awful, with a 6-7' wheelbase and what seems to be a 26" wheel/tire package.

I have a feeling that if they separate the WRX and the Impreza, the WRX will be based on the joint Toyota/Subaru RWD/AWD platform that's being used for the FR-S

It'd be modified a bit due to the front axle-point line of the chassis in order to get their awd in there to work.

Some interesting info was taken from a "secret meeting" on the Toyota FT-86/FR-S and relayed to people:

It's two years on from the unveiling of the FT-86 concept and still five months until the production version makes its debut in Tokyo, but new details of Toyota's new rear-wheel-drive coupe appear to have come to light.

Information passing around Toyota enthusiast forums this week, if accurate, reveals what many have hoped: the FT-86 may just be the car to herald Toyota's 'second renaissance'.

According to Club4AG.com founder Motohide Miwa, a recent invite-only event, reportedly with Toyota Sports vehicle boss Tetsuya Tada, revealed a number of new details of the new hero car, along with an on-screen unveiling of the production model.

Mechanically, Miwa says that while the engine is the Subaru-derived boxer engine already confirmed, it has been completely worked over at Toyota.

From a revised and re-cast engine block through to Yamaha tuning and Toyota's D-4S direct injection technology, it seems this is absolutely not your Impreza's engine.

Miwa describes a development program focused as much on the enthusiast as the casual buyer.

"The front dash has a beautiful sweeping line, and yet the front corners are recessed into the front window base," Miwa reported to the Club4AG online community.

"I asked why, and Tada-san replied 'It's so you can install a roll cage to regulations for many venues, without cutting up this dash'."

Miwa adds that Tada's team is so focused on weight and handling that buyers should even expect to do without a CD player and navigation. Whether those modern conveniences will appear in the options list, however, is unclear.

On the styling front, Toyota has already confirmed that the recent FT-86 II concept offers the best hint at the production model's look.

According to Miwa, we can expect the concept's 2000GT-inspired C-pillar to carry over, along with "a little more flavour" from the Scion FR-S concept and a sharper rear-end design.

"That's all I can tell you at this point," Miwa adds.

Time will tell as to the accuracy of the report. However when Akio Toyoda was made president of the 74 year-old Toyota Motor Company, the grandson of founder Kiichiro Toyoda, he promised to revitalise the company's entire line-up.

Most importantly, Toyoda also committed his company to developing a new entry-level rear-wheel-drive coupe. With each new report, the FT-86 is looking more tantalising.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52128/toyota-fr-s-detailed-further

Toyota seems to be taking this car very seriously. They need it with the japanese-buick image they have going on over there.

Pretty hefty commitment to make it so you purposely design the interior to fit a roll-cage into it easily. The seats are being designed from the best "racing seat" designs out there. No nav, no CD player, just probable MP3/USB input.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so I'm seriously upgrading from my 09 TSX to a 2011 BMW 535i w/ 6spd manual. The conditions are right and the monthly payments would be quite doable (I just got a raise myself).

Does this seem like a good idea, though? What's the current statistics on the 2011 5 series? I took one out for a drive and loved it, but I've always been concerned with owning one based on stories of difficult maintenance. How reliable are they these days? I suppose I've been spoiled by the Acura, which has been an absolute dream when it comes to maintenance.

I wasn't able to get a manual in my TSX, unfortunately, and I've found myself pining to get one. They've become increasingly difficult to find, but I ran across a perfect model for myself. All of the features I want (believe it or not, it was difficult to find a BMW that matches all of the features on my TSX - none of the 3 series quite match it in that area).

I have the wife's approval as well (she'll only go for it if I get a manual as well).

So is it worth doing? The TSX has held its value amazingly well and I have a buyer willing to pay just $2500 under what I originally paid (I got a great deal in the first place). I'm very split on the matter as I love the TSX, but at the same time, I want more power and a manual gearbox while keeping or exceeding the feature set of the current car. Oh, and it has to be a 4 door.

Enron

Banned
dark10x said:
OK, so I'm seriously upgrading from my 09 TSX to a 2011 BMW 535i w/ 6spd manual. The conditions are right and the monthly payments would be quite doable (I just got a raise myself).

Does this seem like a good idea, though? What's the current statistics on the 2011 5 series? I took one out for a drive and loved it, but I've always been concerned with owning one based on stories of difficult maintenance. How reliable are they these days? I suppose I've been spoiled by the Acura, which has been an absolute dream when it comes to maintenance.

I wasn't able to get a manual in my TSX, unfortunately, and I've found myself pining to get one. They've become increasingly difficult to find, but I ran across a perfect model for myself. All of the features I want (believe it or not, it was difficult to find a BMW that matches all of the features on my TSX - none of the 3 series quite match it in that area).

I have the wife's approval as well (she'll only go for it if I get a manual as well).

So is it worth doing? The TSX has held its value amazingly well and I have a buyer willing to pay just $2500 under what I originally paid (I got a great deal in the first place). I'm very split on the matter as I love the TSX, but at the same time, I want more power and a manual gearbox while keeping or exceeding the feature set of the current car. Oh, and it has to be a 4 door.

A friend of mine just got a 550i with the sport package and nearly every other option on it, and I hated driving it. It's too smooth, when you are going fast you don't actually feel like you are going fast.

Edit: oh, you already drove it and liked it. Nevermind. In that case, go for it.

dark10x

AlphaSnake said:
Get the 535i. No brainer to me.
Would it perhaps be better to look for a low mileage previous gen 5 series? I'm kind of split as I drove both and they both have a very different feel. The previous gen feels a bit sportier to me while the new 5 feels like a 7 series. Both of those can be positives depending on my mood. :p

I know a lot of folks aren't a huge fan of the Bangle look present in the previous 5, but I've always thought it was pretty aggressive looking. The new 5 looks great, but is definitely softer around the edges.

AlphaSnake

dark10x said:
Would it perhaps be better to look for a low mileage previous gen 5 series? I'm kind of split as I drove both and they both have a very different feel. The previous gen feels a bit sportier to me while the new 5 feels like a 7 series. Both of those can be positives depending on my mood. :p

I know a lot of folks aren't a huge fan of the Bangle look present in the previous 5, but I've always thought it was pretty aggressive looking. The new 5 looks great, but is definitely softer around the edges.

I had a 535i loaner last week (I dropped off brother's M6 for service) and was beating the piss out of it. Quite frankly, I loved it. Mine was RWD, without sports package. I can't imagine how much better the car is with the sports package, especially the M-package. It's a terrific car, and it certainly looks worlds better than the E60 5-series. The F10 has gorgeous, classy, and timeless lines - the car will simply age as gracefully as the E39 5-series, if not better.

A few things I did not like about the 5-series is the lack of storage space in the center console, the glovebox, and the trunk narrows considerably due componentry stored on the sides behind the trunk lining. Pop the trunk and you'll see what I mean. The electronic steering is pretty lame, and definitely degrades road feel and feedback, but it's tolerable and I've certainly driven worse with conventional pumps - it's just this isn't BMW caliber. Lastly, I don't like the open-diff (one wheel peel is no cool in a car this powerful and nice). And even though this may sound stupid...the keyfob was bulky, cheap, light, and was just a piece of hollow plastic. Not sure how they made the keyfob worse...

Still, it's a tremendous machine. The 8-speed gearbox is sensational for a conventional transmission, it shifts quick and smooth. And overall driving this car was simply a pleasure. The seats are comfortable. The road manners are good. The power is great.

If perhaps you are open to alternatives, take a look at the new Audi A6. It is an absolutely tremendous car. Got a chance to drive one 3 days ago...it's brilliant.

J-Rzez

dark10x said:

If you're thinking "sporty", is the M3 a viable option for you? Even a used 4-door?

J-Rzez said:
If you're thinking "sporty", is the M3 a viable option for you? Even a used 4-door?
I will agree with a used four door M3. I just love my E36 and I doubt I will ever sell it. Gets shockingly good gas mileage and puts a smile on my face every day I drive it.

J-Rzez said:
Pretty hefty commitment to make it so you purposely design the interior to fit a roll-cage into it easily. The seats are being designed from the best "racing seat" designs out there. No nav, no CD player, just probable MP3/USB input.
Engine tuned by Yamaha. Sweet.
I would still replace the Scion badges with Toyota, as it should be.

dark10x

J-Rzez said:
I just missed out on a fantastic looking M3 4-door. Was purchased in Germany by someone stationed abroad and brought back. It only had 13k miles on it and was going for 50k. Seemed like a hell of a deal to me, but someone already had dibs on it. :\

J-Rzez

dark10x said:
I just missed out on a fantastic looking M3 4-door. Was purchased in Germany by someone stationed abroad and brought back. It only had 13k miles on it and was going for 50k. Seemed like a hell of a deal to me, but someone already had dibs on it. :\

That's a shame. To be honest though, I'd keep searching around for the M3. I did have the pleasure of experiencing M3's and M5's, and I have to say I'd prefer the M3 myself. It just "felt" to be the better car all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom