• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperbah

balddemon said:
My friend mentioned to me that he's looking at a GTO, and while telling me about it, he mentioned stainless steel headers like they actually increase performance? Do they?

Yes, assuming they are long tube headers and not shorties.

GTO's (ls1 or 2) stock headers are very restrictive. Probably the best bolt on you can do to those cars.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
LS2 all the way. Leave the 2004 GTOs alone. The 05-06 cars have a much better motor, revised front bumper, hood scoops, dual exhaust, and different rear bumper. One of my all time faves the LS2 GTO, I have a very soft spot for it.

My sister just got her Volt today and sent me pictures.

r3VXk.jpg

sa6Ho.jpg

WFCGK.jpg

ZWEMO.jpg

Kinda ugly, imo.

Giant Robot said:
DOOOO IT.

color? 6 Speed? Price? Tell us!
I'm looking at the black on black, 6 speed and it's going for 42,998. Most they'd drop it is $42,000...maybe $41,500 and then there's 13% tax on it so you're looking at $47,000 total.

The car has only 4,000 kms as it's been a demo and warranty until July 2012.

ascii42

weekend_warrior said:

Kinda ugly, imo.
I actually quite like the look of the Volt. Especially in black, although I wouldn't get it in that color. A/C is quite draining on electric cars.

h1nch

Scheduled to test drive a 335i tomorrow morning. I'm leaning towards a 335 over the S4 simply due to the higher amount of incentives available. The S4 may be a slightly better car, but the deals are much sweeter on the outgoing E90 335i sedans (really don't like what I've seen of the new 3 series look)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ascii42 said:
I actually quite like the look of the Volt. Especially in black, although I wouldn't get it in that color. A/C is quite draining on electric cars.
I've seen two of those cars so far here in Florida. One was owned by FPL, I think.

I know FPL owns a Leaf, I've seen that running around, too.

h1nch said:
Scheduled to test drive a 335i tomorrow morning. I'm leaning towards a 335 over the S4 simply due to the higher amount of incentives available. The S4 may be a slightly better car, but the deals are much sweeter on the outgoing E90 335i sedans (really don't like what I've seen of the new 3 series look)
What year and clicks on the 335i? How much money?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
weekend_warrior said:

Kinda ugly, imo.
The ugliness is literally on purpose.

It's just like Prius's. If it wasn't intentionally ugly enough to be seen from hundreds of feet away, other hipsters wouldn't be able to tell from that distance that you care enough about the environment to pay $35,000. It's a huge selling point. (No, really it is.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Saw a new M5 yesterday, white gloss body, matt black hood, roof and trunk. Like Pepe Le Pew. Was sort of badass.

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
Saw a new M5 yesterday, white gloss body, matt black hood, roof and trunk. Like Pepe Le Pew. Was sort of badass.

New M5 doesn't come out for quite some time.

h1nch

Epic Tales of Penis said:
What year and clicks on the 335i? How much money?

2011 335i. Incentives are a $1305 credit, $750 dealer holdback, and an owner loyalty discount for anyone who's owned a BMW after 2005 (either $1000, or an extra point off the finance rate). BMWFS is also doing 2.9% over 60 months.

After driving the 335i, I definitely agree that the S4 is the faster car, but overall I think I'm going to probably go with the 335i. I like the exterior looks better, and while the interior design is cooler in the S4, the 335 has less cheap plastic, and I prefer the seats and leather feel of the 335. Not to mention, I was actually impressed with the iDrive's repsonsiveness and 8.8 inch display.

BMW is offering a limited edition 'performance package' as a port installed option which includes some trim options and ups the horsepower to 320hp with what I'm guessing is a chip tune.

Its looking like I'll be pursuing a 335i.

Side note: My friend tagged along and test drove a 335d. I was really impressed with it. Were I in the market for a diesel car, I'd probably end up grabbing one of these.

Good to hear man and yes, I'm the guy looking for a diesel. :) Might have a deal in place for a 2009 335d with 5000 kms on it. It will be black on black.

They had a "safari green" on tan but I just don't like that colour combo. Sales guy was REALLY trying to push it on me with a super deal but I wouldn't budge.

h1nch

Good to hear man and yes, I'm the guy looking for a diesel. :) Might have a deal in place for a 2009 335d with 5000 kms on it. It will be black on black.

They had a "safari green" on tan but I just don't like that colour combo. Sales guy was REALLY trying to push it on me with a super deal but I wouldn't budge.

The last diesel I rode in was an A3 TDI which wasn't bad, but you definitely knew you were driving a diesel. The 335d was shockingly quick, and the engine growl was fantastic.

I would agree that the black interior is the best color. I really dislike their tan trim. The oyster/black combo is pretty stunning with the right exterior color, but you can't go wrong with black.

Anyway, good luck in your search!

h1nch said:
The last diesel I rode in was an A3 TDI which wasn't bad, but you definitely knew you were driving a diesel. The 335d was shockingly quick, and the engine growl was fantastic.

I would agree that the black interior is the best color. I really dislike their tan trim. The oyster/black combo is pretty stunning with the right exterior color, but you can't go wrong with black.

Anyway, good luck in your search!
The 335d does have 425 lbs/torque which can be tuned to 525-550. :lol What colour is "oyster" exactly?

How's your search going?

h1nch

The 335d does have 425 lbs/torque which can be tuned to 525-550. :lol What colour is "oyster" exactly?

How's your search going?

Oyster is the very light colored leather (whiter than tan, but not fully white) contrasted with black door and dash accents. Undoubtedly more difficult to clean, but stunning nonetheless.

attachment.php

I've already been told by several dealers in the state that there's nothing out there matching my specs, so I'd have to order one from the factory.

So regardless of whether I go S4 or 335i, I'm going to be waiting up to 90 days :-/

h1nch said:
Oyster is the very light colored leather (whiter than tan, but not fully white) contrasted with black door and dash accents. Undoubtedly more difficult to clean, but stunning nonetheless.

attachment.php

I've already been told by several dealers in the state that there's nothing out there matching my specs, so I'd have to order one from the factory.

So regardless of whether I go S4 or 335i, I'm going to be waiting up to 90 days :-/
Welcome to my life.

I won't get my MINI Coupe until late October/Early November :(

Slotted for Week 38 production.

soundahfekz said:
Drop that bitch on coilovers and get it some proper wheels, it'll clean up.

lol, the only modifying that car will see is a baby seat and cell phone charger.

Angry Grimace said:
The ugliness is literally on purpose.

It's just like Prius's. If it wasn't intentionally ugly enough to be seen from hundreds of feet away, other hipsters wouldn't be able to tell from that distance that you care enough about the environment to pay $35,000. It's a huge selling point. (No, really it is.)

My sisters not a hipster, she's just kinda rich now.

h1nch said:

attachment.php

Wow that oyster colour does look pretty sick but I can also see how you're saying it would be hard to maintain.

Sucks about your dilemma. What's your next move/plan?

JackEtc

nitewulf said:
got her, red on red, brushed aluminum dash:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/nitewulf/IMAG0042.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/nitewulf/IMAG0044.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Damn sexy good sir.

AlphaSnake

nitewulf said:
got her, red on red, brushed aluminum dash:

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

LOL! I know that very same car you just bought. They got it, literally, a week ago in their inventory. I stopped by yesterday and saw it sitting there. Who sold it to you? Conrad or Danny?

How much did they budge on the price from the original 35K they wanted? What I like about them is that the guys at Bayside are a pretty good bunch, no pushy assholes.

h1nch

Wow that oyster colour does look pretty sick but I can also see how you're saying it would be hard to maintain.

Sucks about your dilemma. What's your next move/plan?

I'm probably gonna order. The wait will be agonizing, but hopefully it just makes the day I take delivery that much sweeter.

Also, nice car nitewulf! I <3 hard top convertibles.

nitewulf

AlphaSnake said:
LOL! I know that very same car you just bought. They got it, literally, a week ago in their inventory. I stopped by yesterday and saw it sitting there. Who sold it to you? Conrad or Danny?

How much did they budge on the price from the original 35K they wanted? What I like about them is that the guys at Bayside are a pretty good bunch, no pushy assholes.
Danny sold it to us. It was prepped for me yesterday actually, as we have been negotiating since last week. Final price was around 31000.

h1nch

:lol Which one are you ordering though?

The 335i...probably. I told the Audi dealership to send me a quote, but based on all the data I've seen from Edmunds to Zag, the price will likely be close to MSRP.

Plus I think the 335i looks better. The Audi had more punch, but I'm hoping the Performance package helps to mitigate that.

AlphaSnake

nitewulf said:
Danny sold it to us. It was prepped for me yesterday actually, as we have been negotiating since last week. Final price was around 31000.

Awesome. Yeah, he's a super nice guy. I've been dealing with him for over a month now trying to find a car for my girlfriend.

Sold my 95 M3 to a fellow BMW-insaneofile, and went and test drove that e46 m3.

DAT S54.

E46 is a more refined e36 but with a proper M motor. That car fucking moves, and none of those little turbos either.

The only thing I didn't like was the reduced road feel compared to the e36 m3.

Waiting on bank to call me back about the loan.

AlphaSnake

YuriLowell said:

DAT S54.

E46 is a more refined e36 but with a proper M motor. That car fucking moves, and none of those little turbos either.

Good man! Post pictures if you get it.

YuriLowell said:

DAT S54.

sweet.

I drove a European E36 M3 3.2 once. Holy shit it made the US version insignificant. One of the best BMW's I've ever driven. I agree that there is some disconnect on the E46 M3's. Just feels like a bloated pig to me. It screams though.

AlphaSnake

Giant Robot said:
sweet.

I drove a European E36 M3 3.2 once. Holy shit it made the US version insignificant. One of the best BMW's I've ever driven. I agree that there is some disconnect on the E46 M3's. Just feels like a bloated pig to me. It screams though.

What made the changes between the European and American E36 M3? The motor is the same in displacement, but how is there a 90HP discrepancy? Is the car intentionally limited through hardware (restrictive exhaust, intake manifold) or is it software based (throttle openings, ECU mapping, AFR, timing, etc.)?

I'm probably going to research this right now, but in case someone knows the answer before me...sound off. Always hated how shitted on the US E36 M3 was, BMW really did a disservice to us.

AlphaSnake

Unlike the RoW S50, this engine used a regular M50 intake in lieu of the individual throttle body set up and hydraulic valve lifters in lieu of solid ones. The cylinder head and the VANOS system are also different on the US S50 versus the RoW model; again having more in common with the regular M50 than the Euro S50.

Wow...that is so fucking dumb. They neutered the car for the American market by removing ITBs, using an ancient VANOS design, and using an outdated cylinder head design. That's ridiculous.

AlphaSnake said:
Wow...that is so fucking dumb. They neutered the car for the American market by removing ITBs, using an ancient VANOS design, and using an outdated cylinder head design. That's ridiculous.

Even with all that I still love my E36 M3. It is not the fastest, but the actual feel of driving it is incredible. It is just amazing to fling around a twisty road.

AlphaSnake

They have an offer for $43,000 on the table for this car. Only 3,864 kms on it:

Link

What do you guys think?!

Canadian dollars....hmm, I guess that's not so bad. What did it cost new in Canada?

AlphaSnake

Hard to say Alpha. Not really sure.

P.S. How would this value look in US dollars to you?

A little expensive in US dollars. I suggest going to AutoTrader.com and comparing American results - they'll probably be in the low/mid-30s for this car, which would imply its Canadian worth is correct at low 40s.

Take a look at BMW's Canadian site to see what the car's MSRP is new today then factor in depreciation and age.

AlphaSnake said:
A little expensive in US dollars. I suggest going to AutoTrader.com and comparing American results - they'll probably be in the low/mid-30s for this car, which would imply its Canadian worth is correct at low 40s.

Take a look at BMW's Canadian site to see what the car's MSRP is new today then factor in depreciation and age.
Ya. I remember seeing a 2011 335d at a BMW dealership two weeks going for $49,999 with 12,000 kms on it.

Same packages as this one.

Warranty is up in July 2012 on this one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom