• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
webv12-zagato-green.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/25/aston-martin-to-present-roadgoing-production-v12-zagato-in-frank/

Hawt.
*low whistle*

ascii42

reilo said:
Ford Evos Concept. This is apparently the future design direction that Ford will go in -- and yes, this will be part of their global platform approach.
I could see that as the new Mustang. I had hear word that the next Fusion looked like an Aston Martin, so perhaps that is the new Ford family grille.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I never updated you guys, but my girlfriend got her 335xi Coupe last week. It's totally badass and she loves every bit of it. She's already forgotten about her Audi A4. LMAO. Anyways, the details are:

335xi Coupe
Alpine White
Saddle Brown Leather
iDrive
Paddle Shifters
iPod Dock
Logic 7 Audio

It's pretty much a fully loaded car. The only option it doesn't have is the full sport package that includes the wheels and front lip. But the front lip you can pick up separately, and wheels she would've gotten rid of anyway.

h1nch

AlphaSnake said:
I never updated you guys, but my girlfriend got her 335xi Coupe last week. It's totally badass and she loves every bit of it. She's already forgotten about her Audi A4. LMAO. Anyways, the details are:

335xi Coupe
Alpine White
Saddle Brown Leather
iDrive
Paddle Shifters
iPod Dock
Logic 7 Audio

It's pretty much a fully loaded car. The only option it doesn't have is the full sport package that includes the wheels and front lip. But the front lip you can pick up separately, and wheels she would've gotten rid of anyway.

Congrats! Glad to hear she's liking it. Also, how do you guys like the Logic7 sound system? I ordered it in my car but I've never actually heard it (been told by many folks that its worth it but they didn't have one on the lot that I could demo)

As of yesterday my car's status has been upgraded to 'Production started' and I have a VIN# now! A bimmerfest member posted this awesome guide for obsessive folks like me on how to track a newly ordered BMW from the plant to the dealer:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382239

At first I thought it was excessive but now that I'm stuck waiting for mine I'm totally onboard with tracking my car across the ocean

AlphaSnake

h1nch said:
Congrats! Glad to hear she's liking it. Also, how do you guys like the Logic7 sound system? I ordered it in my car but I've never actually heard it (been told by many folks that its worth it but they didn't have one on the lot that I could demo)

As of yesterday my car's status has been upgraded to 'Production started' and I have a VIN# now! A bimmerfest member posted this awesome guide for obsessive folks like me on how to track a newly ordered BMW from the plant to the dealer:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382239

At first I thought it was excessive but now that I'm stuck waiting for mine I'm totally onboard with tracking my car across the ocean

It's a fantastic audio system. iDrive will give you the option of playing with the treble, mid, and bass...or a 10-band equalizer for fine tuning. :)

TurtleSnatcher said:
Just ordered this little guy this past weekend. Slotted for Week 38 production so I should have it mid-late October/early November.

I'm excited.

It is a 2012 Mini Coupe S - These are the brand new roadster type models that are launching this October. I have the first one ordered at the dealership. I got to sit in one as they took multiple Coupes across dealerships this summer so people could see them.

I use to own a 2007 Mini Cooper S but traded it for my 2010 MazdaSpeed3. I've been wanting to get back into a Mini for quite some time. I really like it being a new model and it having a really unique look.

Got it in Spice Orange/Black Stripes and Black 17" Wheels. Also got black Xenon Headlamp casings to go with the color. Stoked to see that BMW is trying out the retractable spoiler on this Mini for the first time in BMW history so it will be a cool little feature.

I'm excited :)

Exterior

281907_10150326432040399_560865398_9762607_1901173_n.jpg

Interior

EHpxp.jpg

So got slotted for Week 38 production.. Which puts me at the mid to late September..

I find out today that it was delayed until Week 39 since BMW/MINI are having issues obtaining LCDs still due to the Japanese Tsunami (I have MINI Connected on my options). Apparently it is so restrictive that if you try to 'cancel' or 'change' an order that has MINI Connected in it.. then you will need to actually email MINIUSA to change it. My dealer had to do that this weekend to add some options (See below)

:(

The delay did give me the opportunity to add the Harmon Kardon sound system which got me a free rear backup assist warning system since it was included in the package. Hopefully it gets into to production here in the next 3 weeks!

These appear to be rare.. I'm still the only one ordered at my dealership.. which makes me happy as residuals/resale will stay high :)

So I've had my BMW 335d for about 2 weeks now and boy am I loving it. On a full tank (60 liters) I've averaged 8.0L/100 km with a mix of highway and city driving. I got 750 kms on that tank.

The car really shines on the highway where I averaged 5.6L/100 km which would get me 1000+ km highway mileage on a tank!

I noticed at 100 km/h that the car only revs at 1600 rpm and at 140 km/h it's at only 2100 rpm.

Pretty impressive mileage considering the car has 265 horses and 425 pounds of torque and weighs in at 3,800 pounds.

Even more impressive is that diesels start giving you the best mileage at 20,000 kms or so. I have less than 5,000 kms on this car.

<3 335d. :)

AlphaSnake

Epic Tales of Penis said:
So I've had my BMW 335d for about 2 weeks now and boy am I loving it. On a full tank (60 liters) I've averaged 8.0L/100 km with a mix of highway and city driving. I got 750 kms on that tank.

The car really shines on the highway where I averaged 5.6L/100 km which would get me 1000+ km highway mileage on a tank!

I noticed at 100 km/h that the car only revs at 1600 rpm and at 140 km/h it's at only 2100 rpm.

Pretty impressive mileage considering the car has 265 horses and 425 pounds of torque and weighs in at 3,800 pounds.

Even more impressive is that diesels start giving you the best mileage at 20,000 kms or so. I have less than 5,000 kms on this car.

<3 335d. :)

Here to share that Bimmer love with you, man. I've been driving the wifey's 335i every chance I get. I absolutely love the car. Went around some schmuck doing 15 in a 35 and my neck damn near broke from the lunge forward. Twin-turbo epicness.

AlphaSnake said:
Here to share that Bimmer love with you, man. I've been driving the wifey's 335i every chance I get. I absolutely love the car. Went around some schmuck doing 15 in a 35 and my neck damn near broke from the lunge forward. Twin-turbo epicness.
:lol So awesome man.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
Wifey? Two days ago she was a "girlfriend".

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Wifey? Two days ago she was a "girlfriend".

Hahaha, a lot of people use the word loosely. Though I have been with her for 5 1/2 years, she might as well be. :p

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Hahaha, a lot of people use the word loosely. Though I have been with her for 5 1/2 years, she might as well be. :p
That's why you need to use terms like:

"Future Wife"

and then...

"Future Ex-Wife"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a Z4 msport highline that I'm picking up on Saturday/sunday. First brand new BMW I've ever had (usually go approved used). But they had big savings on them as they are phasing out the 6-cylinder engines for 4-cyl turbos. Thats just wrong in a BMW, especially a roadster, so I jumped. Figure I'll just keep it a year or two then move into the new coupe

It came with professional nav as a free upgrade so i'm curious how they've moved on from the godawful E46 nav which in the UK didn't even take full postcodes (zip codes). Apparantly now you can email your car with a destination which sounds fun.

h1nch

mrklaw said:
I have a Z4 msport highline that I'm picking up on Saturday/sunday. First brand new BMW I've ever had (usually go approved used). But they had big savings on them as they are phasing out the 6-cylinder engines for 4-cyl turbos. Thats just wrong in a BMW, especially a roadster, so I jumped. Figure I'll just keep it a year or two then move into the new coupe

It came with professional nav as a free upgrade so i'm curious how they've moved on from the godawful E46 nav which in the UK didn't even take full postcodes (zip codes). Apparantly now you can email your car with a destination which sounds fun.

Not sure about the nav specifically but I know that the iDrive system overall is greatly improved from the previous iteration. My impression based on what others have said is that their software overhaul resulted in iDrive going from one of the worst systems to one of the best. I'm guessing nav falls under that group as well.

Waiting for my used '09 Carrera to finally find its way to the market is torture.

I jus don't know how long I'm going to wait, befor moving to a CTS-V coupe or S5. :-(

alright, my money is really burning my pocket. Do you guys really recommend me waiting on an '09 Carrera vs say...

an '08 Targa or '08 Carrera S for the same price (slightly more miles, but w/e)?

Some of these cars I'm seeing for sale right now are making me want to cry. Is the '09 engine update really worth holding out for?

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
alright, my money is really burning my pocket. Do you guys really recommend me waiting on an '09 Carrera vs say...

an '08 Targa or '08 Carrera S for the same price (slightly more miles, but w/e)?

Some of these cars I'm seeing for sale right now are making me want to cry. Is the '09 engine update really worth holding out for?

Direct-Fuel Injection for better fuel economy and power (+30HP for the S)? Yeah, I think it's worth it. You might have to wait for the 2012s to start shipping to buyers/dealers. That's my guess when you'll see '09s show up on the market.

My goal is certainly to target an '09 911S when I have the money.

reilo said:
Direct-Fuel Injection for better fuel economy and power (+30HP for the S)? Yeah, I think it's worth it. You might have to wait for the 2012s to start shipping to buyers/dealers. That's my guess when you'll see '09s show up on the market.

My goal is certainly to target an '09 911S when I have the money.
understood.

do we know when the 12's are going to ship?

I'm dying a slow death looking at these cars. I mean look at this sommbitch

screenshot20110906at123.png

I can't stop staring.

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
understood.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5632/screenshot20110906at123.png[/IMG

I can't stop staring.[/QUOTE]
They'll probably ship for Fall (November).

That's the color I want, too. But I could never get that ugly brown interior.

AlphaSnake

Dreams-Visions said:
understood.

I can't stop staring.

Man...there are so many other and better cars out there for the money than that Porsche.

Please don't buy a Porsche. :(

I really hate 996 and 997 Porsches, including Caymans/Boxsters. Though the all new 991 Carrera looks great.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dreams-Visions said:
understood.

I can't stop staring.

Not to Clarkson this dead horse, but it looks like any other Porsche. Actually looks a bit like a concept they showed in the 90s. It's nice, but I CAN stop staring.

AlphaSnake

OuterWorldVoice said:
Not to Clarkson this dead horse, but it looks like any other Porsche. Actually looks a bit like a concept they showed in the 90s. It's nice, but I CAN stop staring.

I like you.

We're gonna' be friends.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Man...there are so many other and better cars out there for the money than that Porsche.

Please don't buy a Porsche. :(

I really hate 996 and 997 Porsches, including Caymans/Boxsters. Though the all new 991 Carrera looks great.
List some RWD/AWD rear-engine cars for under $100k with the bullet-proof reliability and similar performance that Porsches have.

Or just list cars you think are better for the money.

Stinkles

reilo said:
List some RWD/AWD rear-engine cars for under $100k with the bullet-proof reliability and similar performance that Porsches have.

There is no doubt, a Porsche is an amazing car. But I see like, 30 every day, perhaps as a testament to how good they are. But at that price logic can and sometimes should take a backseat to individuality. At that price you can pick up some CRAZY shit. S series cars, AMG series cars, M series cars. And if you step outside of the box, you can buy a MINT used Ferrari, Lambo, De Thomaso, etc, etc etc.

At 100k for a sports car, soul and charisma should be a part of the decision, IMO. Otherwise the correct answer is Skyline.

reilo

OuterWorldVoice said:
There is no doubt, a Porsche is an amazing car. But I see like, 30 every day, perhaps as a testament to how good they are. But at that price logic can and sometimes should take a backseat to individuality. At that price you can pick up some CRAZY shit.
I guess the "30 a day" depends on the area you live in. I don't see that many around Portland.
S series cars, AMG series cars, M series cars.
Normal production cars tuned for performance. I have nothing against those -- hell, I drive a "regular" car that was converted into a "sports" car -- but those aren't the same as a car dedicated for performance. They all compromise something in the way of luxury.

All of those offer great cars, no doubt, but would you gamble your hard earned money on those brands' reliability? On another note, can you find any of those that weigh less than 3600lbs today?
And if you step outside of the box, you can buy a MINT used Ferrari, Lambo, De Thomaso, etc, etc etc.
And a MINT used Porsche will cost you $50-60k. That's why I like to compare MSRP for MSRP.
At 100k for a sports car, soul and charisma should be a part of the decision, IMO.
You honestly think that a Porsche lacks soul and charisma? It's about as pure-bread as they come.
Otherwise the correct answer is Skyline.
I guess.

Miroku

Dreams-Visions said:

I was waiting around for an '09 but I ended up getting an '08 S w/10k miles. The only thing it's really missing from the factory is an ipod interface but I put in a Dension Gateway 500 and use a USB stick. Now it's flawless. Amazing, amazing car.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:

Porsches are decently reliable, but hardly bulletproof. And come on, dude...rear-engined? I doubt that's a major criteria for anyone looking for a sports car.

I'd rather get either a new or used:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
BMW M3
Nissan GT-R
Benz SL AMG
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

There's probably plenty of others, I just can't think of them.

Stinkles

reilo said:
You honestly think that a Porsche lacks soul and charisma? It's about as pure-bread as they come.

It's totally subjective, beyond actual numbers sold, but yes. I think they look bland. They drive great, and feel great, but they are unarguably and deliberately homogenous looking. If a 911 passes me on the street, I don't even look. If an Aston or a Ferrari does, I STARE. So does everyone around me.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Porsches are decently reliable, but hardly bulletproof.
In comparison to other cars in its class it is. Hell, even compared to regular people carriers its reliability is damn good.
And come on, dude...rear-engined? I doubt that's a major criteria for anyone looking for a sports car.
Really? A rear-engined sports car is a very exclusive club. That kind of thing certainly matters to people.
I'd rather get either a new or used:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Beautiful car, but it's slower and $30k more.
Great, cheaper, but unreliable.
Nissan GT-R
Great, but ugly as sin.
Benz SL AMG
Almost a whopping $50k more and weighs a whopping 1000lbs more. It's also ugly. C'mon.
Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
Great, but extremely ugly and weighs a whopping 1000lbs more.
There's probably plenty of others, I just can't think of them.
To each their own.

ascii42

Zyzyxxz said:
Woot I got a test drive for a Cadillac CTS-V at Fontana Speedway in CA in December!

This should be sweet!
Awesome. It's a sweet car. I got to test drive one earlier this year. Unfortunately, it was around the streets of Atlanta, so I didn't really get to push it at all.

FStop7

Banned
reilo said:
Really? A rear-engined sports car is a very exclusive club. That kind of thing certainly matters to people.

The 911 is the only rear engine car I can think of that's still in production, so yeah... exclusive club.

Pterion

A GTR is not ugly as sin. Have you actually seen up close? I was under that impression too, but it looked way sexier in person imo. A bit like the panamera.

Oh, and if that GAFer is getting a porsche, please get one with some aero package. That plain jane carrera is pretty vanilla.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
In comparison to other cars in its class it is. Hell, even compared to regular people carriers its reliability is damn good.

Beautiful car, but it's slower and $30k more.

Great, cheaper, but unreliable.

Great, but ugly as sin.

Almost a whopping $50k more and weighs a whopping 1000lbs more. It's also ugly. C'mon.

Great, but extremely ugly and weighs a whopping 1000lbs more.

To each their own.

Come on, man. Let's read what I wrote: "either a new or used".

All of those cars are extremely easy to find under $100K with very low miles and late model years. Also, any M3 past 2009.5 are pretty solid and have practically all of the issues cleared up.

But whatever, if you somehow think almost all of the cars I listed are ugly...you're out of your mind if you think the Porsche looks any better. Not to mention that a V8 Vantage is faster than a Carrera, Carrera 4S, and a hair quicker than the Carrera S. Plus the Aston has a proper V8 that sounds like Thor trying to break free out of the engine. The Porsche's flat-6 sounds like absolute dog shit is churning inside. The V8 also feels leagues better to drive, and has 50HP more, which does favor power to weight, even if the Aston weighs 350lbs more.

reilo

FStop7 said:
The 911 is the only rear engine car I can think of that's still in production, so yeah... exclusive club.
Are you making a distinction between rear-mid-engine and rear-engine?

AlphaSnake said:
Come on, man. Let's read what I wrote: "either a new or used".

All of those cars are extremely easy to find under $100K with very low miles and late model years. Also, any M3 past 2009.5 are pretty solid and have practically all of the issues cleared up.

But whatever, if you somehow think almost all of the cars I listed are ugly...you're out of your mind if you think the Porsche looks any better. Not to mention that a V8 Vantage is faster than a Carrera, Carrera 4S, and a hair quicker than the Carrera S. Plus the Aston has a proper V8 that sounds like Thor trying to break free out of the engine. The Porsche's flat-6 sounds like absolute dog shit is churning inside. The V8 also feels leagues better to drive, and has 50HP more, which does favor power to weight, even if the Aston weighs 350lbs more.
Arguing used prices is a waste of time in my opinion, because you can get anything for "cheap" if you wait long enough... unless the car turns into a classic then you're shit out of lock.

Even then, if we are arguing used prices, the 911 still comes ahead $20k+.

And nowhere in hell did I say all of those cars are ugly or the Carrera was better looking than all of them. Maybe you should read what I wrote?

And since when is the Vantage quicker? It's never has been.

JackEtc

reilo said:
Are you making a distinction between rear-mid-engine and rear-engine?
Off-topic, but I've never known the different between read and mid engine. Can someone explain in Layman's terms for me?

JackEtc said:
Off-topic, but I've never known the different between read and mid engine. Can someone explain in Layman's terms for me?
Mid engine = between driver and rear axle. Rear engine = behind rear axle.

midvsrearengine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom