• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:
I know. Sweet Jesus, man...I KNOW!

This is 100% going to be my next car. I don't care if it's auto. I don't care that it won't have that electric motor (I prefer it that way). This will slot below the XK, so it should retail around the $65K mark and boast around 400HP with it's supercharged V6. In concept form it has 333HP. Regardless, even if it's 333HP, a tune on this thing will make it monstrous. Plus, Jaguar is aiming at a 3100lb curb weight (their new weight saving architecture is amazing, the gargantuan XJ Sedan weighs 4050lbs!!), so it'll be quick regardless.
When is it supposed to go into production (USA of course)?

I would forfeit a manual to drive that thing, especially at that price. But the electric motor might turn me off. We'll see.

Hell, if I had the money I'd buy a C63 AMG Black Series, too, despite the fact that it's an automatic.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
reilo said:
When is it supposed to go into production (USA of course)?

I would forfeit a manual to drive that thing, especially at that price. But the electric motor might turn me off. We'll see.

Hell, if I had the money I'd buy a C63 AMG Black Series, too, despite the fact that it's an automatic.

They're saying it'll likely drop the electric motor. Production could be next year, hopefully. It was intended to be a 2013MY vehicle, I believe. And since it is billed as Cayman/Boxster fighter, that price point should definitely stick.

Zyzyxxz

The XJ isn't proposterously heavy its on par with the Audi A8, BMW 7, and Mercedes S-Class.

But yes the C-X16 is a thing of beauty and if I ever jump onto that income level its something I would consider.

a176

Banned
ascii42 said:
Perhaps those little black stalks have cameras.

unless they put on some kind of permanent rainx and antidust+grime+mud coating, no thx. i have cameras on my infiniti and they are fucking useless when it rains, and during winter when the road shits mud and dirt on your car

AlphaSnake

Zyzyxxz said:
The XJ isn't proposterously heavy its on par with the Audi A8, BMW 7, and Mercedes S-Class.

But yes the C-X16 is a thing of beauty and if I ever jump onto that income level its something I would consider.

The BMW 7-series weighs 4550lbs. The S-Class is 4450lbs. The Audi A8 is 4400lbs. The Lexus LS460 is 4500lbs. The Jaguar XJ is 4045lbs. All weights are non-long wheelbase models - add 100-150lbs for those.

It's 400-500lbs lighter than its competitors. The point I was making was that it's actually significantly light compared to its competition. Jaguar's chassis development is absolutely amazing and lightweight with extensive usage of aluminum over steel.

Zyzyxxz

AlphaSnake said:
The BMW 7-series weighs 4550lbs. The S-Class is 4450lbs. The Audi A8 is 4400lbs. The Lexus LS460 is 4500lbs. The Jaguar XJ is 4045lbs. All weights are non-long wheelbase models - add 100-150lbs for those.

It's 400-500lbs lighter than its competitors. The point I was making was that it's actually significantly light compared to its competition. Jaguar's chassis development is absolutely amazing and lightweight with extensive usage of aluminum over steel.

oh wait I read that connotation wrong, my quick reading thought that gargantuan adjective was being used in a negative way.

So yes I do agree Jaguars are on a roll.

Biff

I made a thread about this, but actually think it should belong in this thread.. Long story short, friend has recently moved to California and needs a used car quickly.

If anyone could make a rec, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's what he's looking for:

- Price range around $13K, if we could get to $10K that would be even better (but it seems like it's not going to be possible).
- Decent resale value: Only need the car for 2 years, will resell then.
- Something within the last 5 years, 100-130K kms (70-80K miles) or under.
- Low maintenance is a major concern.
- Everyday commuter to and from work. Not much else.
- Strongly prefer something sportier than an everyday commuter, though.
- 2-door is preferred, convertible is a plus.
- Will be buying it in California.
- Automatic transmission

Thanks all.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
They're saying it'll likely drop the electric motor. Production could be next year, hopefully. It was intended to be a 2013MY vehicle, I believe. And since it is billed as Cayman/Boxster fighter, that price point should definitely stick.
So, it'll be available around a time that I might be shopping for my weekend car?

:eek:

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
So, it'll be available around a time that I might be shopping for my weekend car?

:eek:

Indeed. I'll certainly consider trading in my 370Z for it, if my financial situation is still good. :)

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Indeed. I'll certainly consider trading in my 370Z for it, if my financial situation is still good. :)
Yeah definitely. I have a plan in place with all of my freelance work that should have me pay off every loan except one of my big student loans. Then I can start paying down that big loan a lot quicker with all of the extra disposable income I will have. I also don't envision me stopping freelance work any time soon, and a hopeful payraise next year should put me on good financial footing.

The tricky bit would be if I decide to start investing some of my extra income and try to make a big buck or two. That would certainly make things easier haha.

But yeah, by January my Speed6 will be paid off and I will have at least $14-15k of trade-in value for it.

I might just be smart and go a while being debt free and save up. I don't need a new car, I love my current one, too.

Pterion

reilo said:
12-jaguar-c-x16-concept-la-2011.jpg
Looks hotter than any Aston Martin out there.

Not feeling the subaru concept. The Toyota TRD version still looks better. I need money:(

No post about the new 650 hp Mustang Shelby?

AlphaSnake

Pterion said:
No post about the new 650 hp Mustang Shelby?

Honestly, who gives a shit? I know I don't. America can throw all of the horsepower it wants at me, but as long as they give me a car with a boring and ugly interior, unrefined mechanics, and an archaic suspension...I'll keep passing. I can spend $10K for a twin-turbo on my 370Z and destroy that Shelby every day, along with countless other legitimate exotics.

reilo

I'll just wait for 2013/14 models to come into production because then my options will be a lot wider it seems.

M3, S4/S5, CX-16, C63 AMG, 911, etc etc.

None of those (except the AMG) might boast a big V8, but at least half will be forced-induction, so getting more power out of it won't be an issue. I guess the only thing I would be missing is a classic Euro-V8 note.
AlphaSnake said:
Honestly, who gives a shit? I know I don't. America can throw all of the horsepower it wants at me, but as long as they give me a car with a boring and ugly interior, unrefined mechanics, and an archaic suspension...I'll keep passing. I can spend $10K for a twin-turbo on my 370Z and destroy that Shelby every day, along with countless other legitimate exotics.
That car is great if you want to strip it of its interior and race it around a track in competition. Anything more than a once-in-a-blue-moon driver? Pfft.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
That car is great if you want to strip it of its interior and race it around a track in competition. Anything more than a once-in-a-blue-moon driver? Pfft.

Which car? The Mustang or a TT 370Z? I assume you meant the Mustang.

Pterion

AlphaSnake said:
Doubt it. The new Shelby has more than just brute horsepower, and like camaro ZL1, the track times won't lie. Mechanically and aero-wise I suspect it's not even in the same league as a 370z.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Which car? The Mustang or a TT 370Z? I assume you meant the Mustang.
Mustang Shelby, yeah.
Pterion said:
Doubt it. The new Shelby has more than just brute horsepower, and like camaro ZL1, the track times won't lie.
Does it have an independent rear suspension?

AlphaSnake

Pterion said:
Doubt it. The new Shelby has more than just brute horsepower, and like camaro ZL1, the track times won't lie. Mechanically and aero-wise I suspect it's not even in the same league as a 370z.

If my buddy's 370Z utterly destroyed a Ferrari 458 Italia on low boost (5.5lbs) - 500WHP...it'll do the same to the significantly heavier Shelby, which is also no doubt geared worse. And aero-dynamically, excuse me for sounding like a dick...you have no idea what you're talking about. A 370Z has a CD of .29, a Shelby is .38 - that's leagues apart.

For comparison's sake, a Cayman S has a .29 CD, and a Ferrari 458 has a .33 CD. An Infiniti FX35 has a CD of .37 - so the Shelby has the aerodynamics of an SUV...but worse.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Does it have an independent rear suspension?

No. Not even the 2012 GT500 800HP car from Shelby has IRS. Yes, an 800HP car is rolling around with a live rear axle. Comical.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
No. Not even the 2012 GT500 800HP car from Shelby has IRS. Yes, an 800HP car is rolling around with a live rear axle. Comical.
Haha.

Can you imagine that car when its entering a corner at high speeds and the forces are pulling the car one direction and the outside wheel is having trouble keeping itself on the pavement because of imperfections in the road and massive body roll? Amazing.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
If my buddy's 370Z utterly destroyed a Ferrari 458 Italia on low boost (5.5lbs) - 500WHP...it'll do the same to the significantly heavier Shelby, which is also no doubt geared worse. And aero-dynamically, excuse me for sounding like a dick...you have no idea what you're talking about. A 370Z has a CD of .29, a Shelby is .38 - that's leagues apart.

For comparison's sake, a Cayman S has a .29 CD, and a Ferrari 458 has a .33 CD. An Infiniti FX35 has a CD of .37 - so the Shelby has the aerodynamics of an SUV...but worse.

What is the setup? Does he have a build thread. Videos of track runs?

Those cars can obviously be made into beats, but a 458 can trap 132 stock...that is a fuck of a lot of trap speed to pick up on such low boost.

I haven't spent a ton of time on 370z forums looking at stuff, and dragtimes doesn't help much. Fastest 370z they have listed is still in the 12's.

edit: we talking dig? Roll? Destroyed as in what... 4-5 car lengths? That has to be close to a 140 trap...on 5.5psi? If legit my car decision is even dumber than I previously thought.

Pterion

I'm no expert, and I don't mind being proven wrong, but there's got to be more to aerodynamics than a low CD. Ford clearly stated they've increased high speed downforce to reduce lift, and we're talking 140-200 mph here. Highly doubt the 370z will be more planted at those kind of speeds, but who knows. And again, I think the track times won't lie.

BTW, I've never read so much praise for the 370z outside of GAF, and I visit plenty of car forums... 458 killer, haha. Now that's comical (not saying it's not true).

reilo

I am no expert by any means either, and my two years of physics will probably prove insufficient, too, but just looking at that completely flat front-end of the Mustang compared to the smooth and downward facing front of the 370Z, it's easy to identify which car produces better downforce at high speeds.

By the way, very rarely will you find a track with enough wide open straights to hit 140-200MPH.

AlphaSnake said:

So true. It's amazing how many people don't understand the importantance of aero past 100 mph.

For example, AP1/AP2 S2000 has CD of 0.38~... you know, like a brick. Or a Subaru. LOL

My 3rd gen TL has a CD of 0.29. That's the same as a C5 Vette or a 370z. My TL when bone stock was pulling S2000's heavily modified with major weight reduction, bolt-ons, and gears HARD past 100 mph.

Aero is huge.

Pterion said:
I'm no expert, and I don't mind being proven wrong, but there's got to be more to aerodynamics than a low CD. Ford clearly stated they've increased high speed downforce to reduce lift, and we're talking 140-200 mph here. Highly doubt the 370z will be more planted at those kind of speeds, but who knows. And again, I think the track times won't lie.

BTW, I've never read so much praise for the 370z outside of GAF, and I visit plenty of car forums... 458 killer, haha. Now that's comical (not saying it's not true).

Do you not understand what a boosted car like a 370z will do with 500whp, even against a high end Ferrari? Come on now. A 500whp 370z is a fucking fast car. And he was talking in a straight line BTW.

The 370z is a great car, and it's ridiculous that it gets hated on when it's FAR superior to a 350z and a majority of other sports coupes. As an overall package, it's very slick and balanced. Except that fucking horrible clutch...

Pterion

reilo said:
I am no expert by any means either, and my two years of physics will probably prove insufficient, too, but just looking at that completely flat front-end of the Mustang compared to the smooth and downward facing front of the 370Z, it's easy to identify which car produces better downforce at high speeds.

By the way, very rarely will you find a track with enough wide open straights to hit 140-200MPH.
I'm well aware of that, but you're more likely to hit those speeds with monstruous torque and hp. And chances are that if your car is made to hit those speeds effortlessly, it will be designed to be planted at those speeds. I'd be shocked by a stock 370z is more track-ready/better handling than a new shelby/ZL1.

Pterion

BoobPhysics101 said:
Do you not understand what a boosted car like a 370z will do with 500whp, even against a high end Ferrari? Come on now. A 500whp 370z is a fucking fast car. And he was talking in a straight line BTW.
I guess I am missing the point... One second we're laughing at the shelby and calling it a one trick-pony with poor handling/aero, and the next second we're praising a heavily-modded 370z for a 458 kill on a straight?

I'm no mustang fan, and I may never own one, but I'm impressed by the new direction ford and other american manufacturers are taking. When the americans start adding awd, better suspensions and better interiors/ no retro look to their cars, I'll be a happy man with a sweet garage hopefully.

Pterion said:
I guess I am missing the point... One second we're laughing at the shelby and calling it a one trick-pony with poor handling/aero, and the next second we're praising a heavily-modded 370z for a 458 kill on a straight? Civics have been doing that too.

I'm no mustang fan, and I'll likely never own one, but I'm impressed by the new direction ford and other american manufacturers are taking. When the americans start adding awd, better suspensions and better interiors/ no retro look to their cars, I'll be a happy man.

Pterion said:
I guess I am missing the point... One second we're laughing at the shelby and calling it a one trick-pony with poor handling/aero, and the next second we're praising a 370z for a 458 kill on a straight?

2011 Ferrari 458 Italia
MSRP:$225,325

2011 Nissan 370z
MSRP: $31,450

Cost to do 500~ whp on a 370z is $8-10k.

I don't see why it's not admirable that a 'cheap' car like a 370z can kill something that costs so much more.

I guess my friend's 500+ whp S2000 that destroyed a Lambo LP-700 isn't worth talking about either I guess? I do think AlphaSnake is mistaken about the 5.5 psi that the 370z was running, it was running at least 10 psi on a turbo for 500 whp.

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Cost to do 500~ whp on a 370z is $8-10k.

I don't see why it's not admirable that a 'cheap' car like a 370z can kill something that costs so much more.

Performance is impressive for sure, but again...I'll need a vid or something proving it.

370z forum:

SharpByCoop --GTM TT S2-- 08 G37S coupe 5AT 11.728 @ 120.63 mph 1.870 60ft DR
2) *Billy02987 --GTM TT S2-- 09 Tour Sport 6MT 11.736 @ 122.59 mph 1.942 60ft street - driven by jnaut
3) Nismo370 -----GTM TT S1-- 09 Nismo ---- 6MT 11.759 @ 127.14 mph 2.157 60ft street
4) Brazilbro ----GTM TT S1-- 09 Base Sport 6MT 11.812 @ 126.51 mph 2.020 60ft street
5) 98intrigue ---custom ST-- 10 40th ----- 6MT 11.852 @ 119.61 mph 1.880 60ft DR
6) Seb@SZ -------GTM TT S2-- 10 Base Sport 6MT 11.961 @ 122.13 mph 1.843 60ft DR
7) *RCZ --------Stillen SC-- 09 Tour Sport 6MT 12.207 @ 116.34 mph 2.034 60ft street - driven by jnaut

zero of those cars are running away from a 458...none of them. None of the 60' times are that impressive, so maybe his buddy is a excellent driver, or the 458 driver sucks or whatever, but equal drivers in both cars it shouldn't "destroy" the 458 whatsoever.

and to make it clear 127mph trap is amazing, and I wish my car was that fast. I'll be happy with 120.

edit: as if I could edit this anymore...

think those drivers aren't the best. Couple guys in GTIs are right around 11.7, and they are below 400whp without stripped car. Are the kits listed below what your friend has...haven't wasted that much time looking yet. I'll get there :)

Halvie said:
Performance is impressive for sure, but again...I'll need a vid or something proving it.

370z forum:

SharpByCoop --GTM TT S2-- 08 G37S coupe 5AT 11.728 @ 120.63 mph 1.870 60ft DR
2) *Billy02987 --GTM TT S2-- 09 Tour Sport 6MT 11.736 @ 122.59 mph 1.942 60ft street - driven by jnaut
3) Nismo370 -----GTM TT S1-- 09 Nismo ---- 6MT 11.759 @ 127.14 mph 2.157 60ft street
4) Brazilbro ----GTM TT S1-- 09 Base Sport 6MT 11.812 @ 126.51 mph 2.020 60ft street
5) 98intrigue ---custom ST-- 10 40th ----- 6MT 11.852 @ 119.61 mph 1.880 60ft DR
6) Seb@SZ -------GTM TT S2-- 10 Base Sport 6MT 11.961 @ 122.13 mph 1.843 60ft DR
7) *RCZ --------Stillen SC-- 09 Tour Sport 6MT 12.207 @ 116.34 mph 2.034 60ft street - driven by jnaut

zero of those cars are running away from a 458...none of them. None of the 60' times are that impressive, so maybe his buddy is a excellent driver, or the 458 driver sucks or whatever, but equal drivers in both cars it shouldn't "destroy" the 458 whatsoever.

and to make it clear 127mph trap is amazing, and I wish my car was that fast. I'll be happy with 120.

edit: as if I could edit this anymore...

think those drivers aren't the best. Couple guys in GTIs are right around 11.7, and they are below 400whp without stripped car. Are the kits listed below what your friend has...haven't wasted that much time looking yet. I'll get there :)

458 traps what, 125~ mph? I see one of those cars being faster.

And apparently boosted 370z's are rare cause it's hard to find 1/4 mile times for them. :(

I call BS on the GTI guys being below 400 whp and running 11.7 on a normal track. Even with LSD and slicks I see that being a hard sell. :p A friend of mine has a fully done 2500~ lb 350 whp Del Sol on slicks and even he hasn't run 11's yet, and he'd absolutely murder any 400 whp GTI from a dig or a roll.

Another reason I call BS: even the best driven C5 Vette Z06 only runs 11.8's bone stock, and that's an almost 400 whp, 3200 lb RWD monster.

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
458 traps what, 125~ mph? I see one of those cars being faster.

And apparently boosted 370z's are rare cause it's hard to find 1/4 mile times for them. :(

Yeah the sixty foots suck, so I assume it is a ton of wheel spin like my car. I can't drive for shit anytime I have gone, so I have nothing to really talk about(13.x @ 117.2 :( ).

Have seen videos of 132mph for a stock 458. Assume some high some low. Just like you see a lot of 370z trap 105 stock, and a lot right about 110 or a tad higher.

Again, either way performance I would love to have. I just don't see it destroying a 458. Hanging with...sure.

Halvie said:
Yeah the sixty foots suck, so I assume it is a ton of wheel spin like my car. I can't drive for shit anytime I have gone, so I have nothing to really talk about(13.x @ 117.2 :( ).

Have seen videos of 132mph for a stock 458. Assume some high some low. Just like you see a lot of 370z trap 105 stock, and a lot right about 110 or a tad higher.

Again, either way performance I would love to have. I just don't see it destroying a 458. Hanging with...sure.

You need LSD badly if you don't have it already. GTI's are garbage without LSD and a shit-ton of power. :\

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
You need LSD badly if you don't have it already. GTI's are garbage without LSD and a shit-ton of power. :\

have an lsd. You wouldn't want to see the times without the lsd lol. Slower than some guys with just a tune :(

There are zero parts left to buy. I have been being told "a couple weeks out" for over a year last week on parts I am waiting on. Dude sends me a pixelated picture of the parts yesterday...trolling me hard.

has this been posted yet?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-11-000-rpm-60-120-4.59sec&highlight=titanium

Titanium crank/rods....so far beyond jealous.

Halvie said:
have an lsd. You wouldn't want to see the times without the lsd lol. Slower than some guys with just a tune :(

There are zero parts left to buy. I have been being told "a couple weeks out" for over a year last week on parts I am waiting on. Dude sends me a pixelated picture of the parts yesterday...trolling me hard.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-11-000-rpm-60-120-4.59sec&highlight=titanium

Good luck, I personally think the GTI is a horrible platform for straightline speed and I give my friends with GTI's shit for it all the time. :p ;)

And holy. fucking shit.

I cried and came at the same time. That Evo 9 is so god-damn glorious. 11k RPM and 870 hp...

God, is that you?

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Good luck, I personally think the GTI is a horrible platform for straightline speed and I give my friends with GTI's shit for it all the time. :p ;)

And holy. fucking shit.

I cried and came at the same time. That Evo 9 is so god-damn glorious. 11k RPM and 870 hp...

God, is that you?

Trust me I am well aware...where were you when I was buying this dumb ass car?

IDK...always wanted a "quick" hatchback. Guess I got what I wanted. Still really like the way the car looks, but that is about it. Never had worse paint on a car. Class action quality in my mind.

edit: WOW. Never noticed the 57psi. How is that even possible.

Halvie said:

IDK...always wanted a "quick" hatchback. Guess I got what I wanted. Still really like the way the car looks, but that is about it. Never had worse paint on a car. Class action quality in my mind.

@57 psi: extremely built/forged engine. Remember, every engine is not the same when it comes to psi and how much it can take... and how much power it generates.

FYI on stock S2000 F20c, 12 psi of boost = 400~ whp... on a supercharger. Just an example.

Hah, sorry man, I was probably trying kids on GolfMKV's 'Vs' section. Those guys are idiots. But I know some of you GTI owners out there are genuinely awesome dudes. I'm sure your build will turn out great despite the GTI factor working against you!!

If I were going to build a fast hatch, I'd pick up an EP3 Civic Si ('02-'05) for $4-6k, spend about $6k on it and have an LSD 6-speed equipped 350-400 whp monster weighing 2600-2700 lbs. Love those cars, so underrated.

ascii42

Halvie said:

And I thought 27 psi in this LS engine was nuts.

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
@57 psi: extremely built/forged engine. Remember, every engine is not the same when it comes to psi and how much it can take... and how much power it generates.

FYI on stock S2000 F20c, 12 psi of boost = 400~ whp... on a supercharger. Just an example.

Hah, sorry man, I was probably trying kids on GolfMKV's 'Vs' section. Those guys are idiots. But I know some of you GTI owners out there are genuinely awesome dudes. I'm sure your build will turn out great despite the GTI factor working against you!!

If I were going to build a fast hatch, I'd pick up an EP3 Civic Si ('02-'05) for $4-6k, spend about $6k on it and have an LSD 6-speed equipped 350-400 whp monster weighing 2600-2700 lbs. Love those cars, so underrated.

EP3 was the last good looking one they made imo. Always wanted to build up a eg/ek, but never had the funds when I owned one. Still sorta have the itch too, but I am too old to be driving my car let a lone a modded honda hatch :)

s2000 with a hardtop is really tempting me lately.

Anyone have any info on the 311RS?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5495920-Gates311-Behind-the-Scenes-of-the-311RS-Project

Was this offered through Mitsu? Says full warranty. Like the color scheme. ce28n wheels are also awesome.

AlphaSnake

Just spoke to my buddy, he was running 8lbs at 508WHP at the time (which is still low boost for the GTM). I was confusing him with another GTM TT370Z out there who was running 5.5-6lbs @ 455WHP, he drives this daily -- his car was also insanely fast.

Either way, those are at the wheel figures. My buddy was rolling on 305s in the rear, coilovers, camber kit, and with stiffer sway bars front and rear - the car gripped like an animal, no doubt that it could handle a track without issue. It was a truly visceral car - so much down low torque that it just broke traction in 3rd or 4th if you wanted it to. LOL. Shame it's for sale now, though.

You won't find too many people taking their TT370Zs to the tracks just yet. A lot of people just enjoy them - and I believe everybody in that list above is running all stock internals. The VQ37HR can handle 8-9lbs of boost on stock internals, including transmission, quite well. So if you go conservative and stick to the 6lb area, you'll have a fairly reliable setup for daily use, with a shit load of power. :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
bah321 said:
haha...sure

289892_10100416545211913_6218319_54223828_2232093_o-1.jpg

It's pretty quick with just bolt ons and a tune

I like it but have gripes...biggest one is the interior.
Nice, how's she running with your mods? Take it down the quarter-mile lately?

Halvie said:

NdNVF.jpg

Tl8gq.jpg

OMG. o.0

AlphaSnake

Narpas Sword0 said:
Anyone dissing the current mustang disagrees with just about every reviewer and performance test I've ever seen.

A lot of these guys grew up in the muscle car era and haven't been able to let the Mustang go. I've seen Mustangs praised in car mags from 1992 and up, and they were really terrible cars back then. They've come a long, looooong way since then - hell a long way since 2005 even - but they still lack a lot of refinement. My points are valid, and a lot of people simply choose to ignore them.

Overseas, a lot of critics have typically trashed Mustangs and Camaros. So it has a lot to do with biases and upbringings. Me, personally, I can look past a lot of that BS and just call it as I see it. Quite frankly, the way I see it is that the Challenger SRT8 392 is the best muscle car on the market - it's the most powerful in its class, has the best interior, has a great suspension, and IMO looks the best. It has the fewest compromises in the muscle car category. If you asked me last year, I'd have said Mustang 5.0 hands down. But since then Dodge has given us a new 6-speed transmission and an all new HEMI that belts out an additional 50HP. It is simply an awesome car.

So the way I see it is: my opinions change of these cars when one is genuinely better than the other. Is my opinion fact? No. But I also don't have biases towards any car, really. I was once an extreme Porsche hater - but I am smitten by the new 991 Carrera - it looks gorgeous inside and out (finally) and the Carrera S has the power to boot. I still dislike the Cayman and Boxster, but maybe my opinions of those will change in due time, as well.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
But I also don't have biases towards any car, really.
oh really?

370z has horrible road noise, stock cd player sucks, bad mpg, useless quarter window, annoying blind spot, and too much body roll.

where is your god now?

AlphaSnake said:
I know. Sweet Jesus, man...I KNOW!

This is 100% going to be my next car. I don't care if it's auto. I don't care that it won't have that electric motor (I prefer it that way). This will slot below the XK, so it should retail around the $65K mark and boast around 400HP with it's supercharged V6. In concept form it has 333HP. Regardless, even if it's 333HP, a tune on this thing will make it monstrous. Plus, Jaguar is aiming at a 3100lb curb weight (their new weight saving architecture is amazing, the gargantuan XJ Sedan weighs 4050lbs!!), so it'll be quick regardless.

Where did you get the idea this would slot below the XK? Reading the info at Jaguar's site this is looking like it's going to be in the 90k plus range. Not complaining, this is the first hybrid I've seen I'm excited about, but this car looks like it's going to be bespoke in every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom