• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm convinced that in 2025, we'll all be driving automated shitboxes, and any old cars will be crushed to force people into those shitboxes or in public transportation.
At that point I'm buying black leather gloves and a jacket with a golden scorpion on the back. Try catching me, bitches!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got upgraded to a Cadillac CTS sedan on this trip. I am a long term American car criticizer. There were some weird design quirks with this thing. And it's not as quiet as older Cadillacs I have driven.

But holy shot. Color me surprised. It's niiiiiiiice. Fast, handled like a slightly chubbier 3 Series and was wonderfully equipped. Even the interior was pleasant, although I imagine it would give old people hives.

I would seriously consider buying one of these things. Drove around LA for three days and the gas needle hasn't budged.

Viperbah

Angry Grimace said:
My problem is that if the GT500s price point is already too high for a Mustang regardless of power output. I mean, the power output is nice and all, but it's still a Mustang and putting down $60,000 for a Mustang doesn't seem right.

I know what your saying, but hell if it runs 10s stock (with a tire) ill pay 60k all day for it

But, I would be really surprised if the 2013 Gt500 was only 60k, I am thinking more like 70-75.

ascii42

bah321 said:
I know what your saying, but hell if it runs 10s stock (with a tire) ill pay 60k all day for it

But, I would be really surprised if the 2013 Gt500 was only 60k, I am thinking more like 70-75.
The 580hp Camaro ZL1 is going to be $55k, so the GT500 shouldn't cost too much more that that.

ascii42

OuterWorldVoice said:
Got upgraded to a Cadillac CTS sedan on this trip. I am a long term American car criticizer. There were some weird design quirks with this thing. And it's not as quiet as older Cadillacs I have driven.

But holy shot. Color me surprised. It's niiiiiiiice. Fast, handled like a slightly chubbier 3 Series and was wonderfully equipped. Even the interior was pleasant, although I imagine it would give old people hives.

I would seriously consider buying one of these things. Drove around LA for three days and the gas needle hasn't budged.
I don't know about that, my grandmother has a CTS and loves it. The only real complaint I have for the car in my limited time spent with it is the seats aren't very comfortable. It doesn't ride like a proper Cadillac, but that's a given, considering how much better it handles.

Stinkles

ascii42 said:
I don't know about that, my grandmother has a CTS and loves it. The only real complaint I have for the car in my limited time spent with it is the seats aren't very comfortable. It doesn't ride like a proper Cadillac, but that's a given, considering how much better it handles.

Yeah definitely rough over bumps, but like you said, it's built for handling. Amazingly competitive with A4 and BMW 3, but I wish it was a bit prettier on the outside.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Got 29.9 mpg on regular gas, same as premium. Car felt the same, premium gas over rated. That said, my gf still refilled the tank with premium...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OuterWorldVoice said:
Yeah definitely rough over bumps, but like you said, it's built for handling. Amazingly competitive with A4 and BMW 3, but I wish it was a bit prettier on the outside.
Cadillacs can't look like non-old people cars no matter what because it's in their heritage to be ugly. Really.

ascii42

Angry Grimace said:
Cadillacs can't look like non-old people cars no matter what because it's in their heritage to be ugly. Really.
A large part of American style is making the car so big and imposing you don't notice what the car actually looks like. Take the Hummer for example. You look at a picture of it, and can say it's ugly. In person, you just stare, and say "Damn." Old Fleetwoods are the same way. And of course, being big and imposing is pretty much the main appeal of the Escalade. I get a lot of compliments in my Olds, despite it pretty much being a giant rectangle.

So, when they make a normal sized car, like the CTS, the results are mixed. You get a love-it or hate-it reaction. Especially with the coupe.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
reilo said:
I think AlphaSnake mentioned not too long ago that the V8s in those have carbon build-up issues, too :(

The word "Carrera" is on the back of nearly every modern 911...

porsche-911-targa.bmp
That's a targa :p

Lots of great cars here, hopefully when I'm done with school I'll get something nice.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
reilo said:
At that point I'm buying black leather gloves and a jacket with a golden scorpion on the back. Try catching me, bitches!
If the jacket has a golden scorpion on the back, make sure to be driving an Abarth, since, you know, the logo has a scorpion.

reilo

Keen said:
That's a targa :p
Hah it is. The image is blurry enough that I skimmed over it and thought it said Carrera.
twinturbo2 said:
If the jacket has a golden scorpion on the back, make sure to be driving an Abarth, since, you know, the logo has a scorpion.
Someone hasn't seen Drive...

I think I'm going to do a J35 (TL Type S V6 engine) swap into an AP1 S2000.

Why?

1. Cheap - will cost maybe the same/bit more than a supercharger setup
2. Awesome NA power - revving out to 7500 RPM, should make 300+ whp and 260+ wtq with 230~ wtq @ 2.5k RPM all motor
3. Unique - only a couple of these exist
4. Did I mention torque? With a supercharger on 4-5 psi, should make around 350 whp/300 wtq
5. The sound. My TL 6-speed (J32) sounds like heaven with an exhaust, so in an S2000 it'd be like heaven x10
6. 2600 lb RWD with 300+ whp and 260+ wtq? Track monster and drag monster confirmed once a Ford 8.8 IRS is swapped in. Should destroy F20/F22c stock engined S2000's on a track since it'd only rev a bit lower but have a much crazier powerband and almost exactly the same weight distribution.
7. I like going fast. At 300~ whp it'd easily be a low 12 second car, with 350+ whp it'd be running high 11's.
8. I already know how to tune and work on an S2000, so doing the suspension and everything related to that will be a cinch. My first AP1 paved the way for a glorious V6 monster.

I should be able to easily have all the mounts etc fabbed. In fact, a guy in Anaheim is working on his own J35 S2000 and I'm in contact with him. Could be absolutely glorious.

Zyzyxxz

Sounds crazy, the engine weights between it and the F20 are much different so weight distribution throughout the car shouldn't be changed too drastically.

What about transmission? Is the J35 tranny gonna fit without modification to the underbody?

Zyzyxxz said:
Sounds crazy, the engine weights between it and the F20 are much different so weight distribution throughout the car shouldn't be changed too drastically.

What about transmission? Is the J35 tranny gonna fit without modification to the underbody?

Should only be 40-50 lbs heavier. If I mount a 16 lb battery in the trunk, it'll offset things nicely.

That's the beauty of it: modify the casing a bit and use an adapter plate and an AP1/2 tranny mounts right up. ;) And I'll need a custom clutch, but apparently if I call up Clutchmasters I just gotta ask for a 1" larger clutch.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
my goal in life? fit my FJ with as much 4x4 accessories as i can afford and drive the great continental divide trail. From mexico to canada

Condivm.gif

and hopefully continue into alaska.

I think If I sell my motorcycle i can afford it.

if anyone is curious... skim through the pictures in this thread

ascii42

Bad_Boy said:
my goal in life? fit my FJ with as much 4x4 accessories as i can afford and drive the great continental divide trail. From mexico to canada

Condivm.gif

and hopefully continue into alaska.

I think If I sell my motorcycle i can afford it.

if anyone is curious... skim through the pictures in this thread
That's an awesome idea. You should definitely try it.

Viperbah

twinturbo2 said:
New goal in life: get a 2013 GT500 Mustang, install a roll cage, and take some laps around Talladega.

lol...I am getting on the hype train for the new GT500

Will most likely be replacing the Z06 with it a or 2008 + viper next year.

Zyzyxxz

ALL AMERICAN GAFFERS I URGE YOU TO SIGN THIS PETITION!

If you have any love for cars please help get this petition attention!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

I have no idea if this will work but its better to try than do nothing.

More info:

http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/11/petition-for-25-year-old-to-15-year-old.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/...arket-exemption-from-25-to-15-y/#aol-comments

TL;DR - Change US import rules on cars from 25 years old to 15 years, meaning we can finally import that R34 skyline legally to the USA! It was originally 15 years but Mercedes Benz lobbied it for change due to self interest. Spread it around and lets get to 25,000!

Halvie

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
ALL AMERICAN GAFFERS I URGE YOU TO SIGN THIS PETITION!

If you have any love for cars please help get this petition attention!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

I have no idea if this will work but its better to try than do nothing.

More info:

http://www.2009gtr.com/2011/11/petition-for-25-year-old-to-15-year-old.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/...arket-exemption-from-25-to-15-y/#aol-comments

TL;DR - Change US import rules on cars from 25 years old to 15 years, meaning we can finally import that R34 skyline legally to the USA! It was originally 15 years but Mercedes Benz lobbied it for change due to self interest. Spread it around and lets get to 25,000!

I can't believe this didn't hit 25k in one day.

Zyzyxxz

Halvie said:
I can't believe this didn't hit 25k in one day.

Seriously its bullshit that Mercedes Benz did this shit to keep selling an inferior car back in the day.

Unfortunately we only have 3 weeks left to reach 19K signatures.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nobody will want to create a WhiteHouse.gov login account to sign this unfortunately.

Zyzyxxz

AlphaSnake said:
Nobody will want to create a WhiteHouse.gov login account to sign this unfortunately.

I know but I can't be lazy and want change too.

If it doesn't work now I am sure the enthusiasts community will keep trying.

If it passes we can finally have our Celica GT-Four

12celica-ishiduka.jpg

ascii42

AlphaSnake said:
It takes like one minute. Hell, I just did, and I doubt I'll ever bother with importing cars. Most old cars that interest me are of the American land yacht variety.

Number45

ameratsu said:
This is insanely expensive over here for what you get. I love it, but I just can't see me spending £18k on it when you can get an RS Clio for the same price near enough - so much more car for your money it's unbelievable.

I do love the 500 though, I have to say. Keep trying to convince my wife to start driving so that I have an excuse to get one as a second car.

AlphaSnake

Subaru trolling Toyota...

high011.jpg

high001.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous. The Toyota version is so ugly and bland. This is aggressive and beautiful. Lighter too. I pray it makes more power, though. 250HP at the least!

reilo

The front-end is better but I don't like the headlights nor the rearlights. Especially the bulge on the rearlights. My Speed6 has the bulge and I hate it.

AlphaSnake

the_log_ride said:
was gonna post that, alpha. what does the toyota version look like again? I need to compare side by side

From a parts catalog, so this has aftermarket body pieces on it:

toyota-ft-86-leaked-ahead-of-tokyo-reveal-medium_5.jpg

Both the Subaru and Toyota/Scion look great...it all comes down to if you want to commit the $$$$ for a slightly more 'upscale' Suby and the additional power. If not, the Toyota looks to be a very fun capable ride too. Definitely good times on the road/track either way you go. Nice to see something car fans can enjoy in various power/trim/price ranges...something for everyone, I guess. =)

reilo

Takashi Yamanouchi said:
"So long as I remain involved with this company... there will be a rotary engine offering or multiple offerings in the lineup."
Cool, as long as you fix the oil consumption, bad gas mileage, reliability, and lack of torque.

Just slap a twin-scroll turbo on it already and call it a day. It would fix half of those issues.

EDIT:

07-jaguar-c-x16-concept-la-2011.jpg

12-jaguar-c-x16-concept-la-2011.jpg

:eek:

AlphaSnake

I know. Sweet Jesus, man...I KNOW!

This is 100% going to be my next car. I don't care if it's auto. I don't care that it won't have that electric motor (I prefer it that way). This will slot below the XK, so it should retail around the $65K mark and boast around 400HP with it's supercharged V6. In concept form it has 333HP. Regardless, even if it's 333HP, a tune on this thing will make it monstrous. Plus, Jaguar is aiming at a 3100lb curb weight (their new weight saving architecture is amazing, the gargantuan XJ Sedan weighs 4050lbs!!), so it'll be quick regardless.

Stinkles

AlphaSnake said:
Subaru trolling Toyota...

high011.jpg

high001.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous. The Toyota version is so ugly and bland. This is aggressive and beautiful. Lighter too. I pray it makes more power, though. 250HP at the least!

pwned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom