• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fiat's Abarth 500 racy TV ad

21lkj6s.jpg

It's juvenile, but I chuckled.

Edit: The model is actually Romanian (explains her shitty Italian) and her name is Catrinel Menghia. Hubba hubba.

fiat500abarth-30-copy.jpg

fiat500abarth-36-copy.jpg

Viperbah

twinturbo2 said:
Nice, how's she running with your mods? Take it down the quarter-mile lately?

Thanks, I have taken it twice to our local track once stock and once with the mods and tire swap (Nitto NT05 R)

I ran 11.5 @ 123 stock with the run flats, my best run with the mods and new tires was 10.9 @ 130, My best trap has been 132

Viperbah

AlphaSnake said:
Honestly, who gives a shit? I know I don't. America can throw all of the horsepower it wants at me, but as long as they give me a car with a boring and ugly interior, unrefined mechanics, and an archaic suspension...I'll keep passing. I can spend $10K for a twin-turbo on my 370Z and destroy that Shelby every day, along with countless other legitimate exotics.

Haha, I wouldn't be so sure...a TT 370 would have trouble with a stock 2012 GT500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhulxLTim8 -Someone who actually knows how to drive one...yes I know this is not typical of these cars, but gives you an idea of what they are capable of.

The new GT500 is addressing a lot of it's issues and looking pretty nasty.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-official-photos-and-info-news

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bad_Boy said:
oh really?

370z has horrible road noise, stock cd player sucks, bad mpg, useless quarter window, annoying blind spot, and too much body roll.

where is your god now?

Wtf? First off, yes there is road noise. That's what happens with a car like this - the cabin and trunk are not separated. Secondly, the Bose stereo is fine for that type of car, especially one as small as the Z. The quarter window is only there to finish off the look of the profile - it wasn't functional in the 350Z and it isn't in the 370Z. The blind spot jargon is BS - have your mirrors properly adjusted and you'll see everything just fine, as long as you don't gangsta lean in your seat like a moron. I've never once had a problem with either of my Zs.

And too much body roll? You've clearly never even driven one. It's one of the tightest cars on the road, and far more composed than the 350Z.

This car isn't my God, I'll have no problem trading it up as soon as something better comes along. It has a bunch of drawbacks, but they don't hurt the overall experience much, if at all, especially considering the car's segment. It's a sports car, not a GT.

Where did you get the idea this would slot below the XK? Reading the info at Jaguar's site this is looking like it's going to be in the 90k plus range. Not complaining, this is the first hybrid I've seen I'm excited about, but this car looks like it's going to be bespoke in every aspect.

The production model will likely not be electric. Before the car was ever announced, Jaguar has been saying they're developing a lightweight Cayman fighter. This is that car. It's significantly smaller than the XK - so it wouldn't even make any sense to price this at 90K, when the XK costs that much.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/12/jaguar-c-x16-concept-frankfurt-motor-show-reveal/

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels...how/Jags-Cayman-alternative-revealed-20110907

http://www.automotto.com/entry/jaguar-reveals-porsche-cayman-slayer-x16-coming-frankfurt/

Rengoku said:
Gotta say, the Subaru BRZ Concept looks way better than the FT-86 from Toyota.

01-subaru-brz-concept-sti-la.jpg

03-subaru-brz-concept-sti-la.jpg

Back panels above the rear wheels look weird. As if the designers just ran out of ideas.

Where's my GT5P version of that car? That thing looked much better than the the current Subaru and Toyota versions.

AlphaSnake said:
The production model will likely not be electric. Before the car was ever announced, Jaguar has been saying they're developing a lightweight Cayman fighter. This is that car. It's significantly smaller than the XK - so it wouldn't even make any sense to price this at 90K, when the XK costs that much.
I find the idea of a Cayman fighter from Jaguar laughable.

bah321 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhulxLTim8 -Someone who actually knows how to drive one...yes I know this is not typical of these cars, but gives you an idea of what they are capable of.
You do realize you posted a video of a guy using drag slicks to demonstrate how quick they are, right?

AlphaSnake

Halvie said:
wow...more like it. Never understood why the magazines always had such slow times/traps.

Because they use beaten up cars with worn down street tires (this guy is on frigin Hoosiers, man). Drivers who aren't professionals. They don't take the cars to legitimate prepped tracks. They also use GPS equipment instead of track monitoring. The cars aren't in their broken-in stages. Many journalists live in crappy and hot climates, thus the lower times.

There's just tons and tons of variables.

AlphaSnake

Dave Inc. said:
Hmm.. who would make a great car that's lively, communicative and has brilliant handling on par with a Cayman?

Oh, I know, Jaguar!

Jaguar has the two best driving sedans on the market right now. The XJ outhandles the new 7-series and A8 - some even calling it borderline sports-car in the corners. And the XF is even more composed and especially tighter than the once crowned king, the 5-series.

The XK-RS is extremely tight. And let's not forget the world underestimated Jaguar in the 90s, and they gave us the XJ220. Jaguar is more than capable of taking on Porsche. And in my opinion, besting a Porsche Cayman is not very hard to do. From personal experience, it handles like a go kart, but I never quite liked how it felt and sounded mechanically.

Viperbah

Dave Inc. said:
You do realize you posted a video of a guy using drag slicks to demonstrate how quick they are, right?

Damn...had no idea, what are drag slicks?

I know the track is prepped, the DA is probably negative 1 million and the guy probably rented it out for a day just for himself. It just shows what the car is potentially capable of.

LA: GAF in your opinion, would going to the LA auto show be better next Thursday or Friday?

Thank you. :)

I have not gone in 4 years, I don't want to go on a crazy crowded day.

Halvie

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Because they use beaten up cars with worn down street tires (this guy is on frigin Hoosiers, man). Drivers who aren't professionals. They don't take the cars to legitimate prepped tracks. They also use GPS equipment instead of track monitoring. The cars aren't in their broken-in stages. Many journalists live in crappy and hot climates, thus the lower times.

There's just tons and tons of variables.

More impressed with the trap than time. Guess times do vary track to track (cecil county anyone), but always wondered why they were barely faster than a regular gt.

Never knew about the gps thing. Take it they don't actually run the cars at a dedicated dragstrip then?

AlphaSnake said:
Jaguar has the two best driving sedans on the market right now. The XJ outhandles the new 7-series and A8 - some even calling it borderline sports-car in the corners. And the XF is even more composed and especially tighter than the once crowned king, the 5-series.

The XK-RS is extremely tight. And let's not forget the world underestimated Jaguar in the 90s, and they gave us the XJ220. Jaguar is more than capable of taking on Porsche. And in my opinion, besting a Porsche Cayman is not very hard to do. From personal experience, it handles like a go kart, but I never quite liked how it felt and sounded mechanically.

The new Jaguars are ridiculously good looking. Never really cared for the looks of many past models, but love the new ones. That blue they use is also outstanding++

ameratsu

I like the 500 abarth interior. Waiting to hear price, but I expect it to be expensive (as usual) in Canada. A base Mini Cooper S has an msrp of $28k, so I expect the 500 abarth to have an msrp of at least $26k. I will still take one for a test drive to see how it compares to the 500 sport.

AlphaSnake said:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/12/jaguar-c-x16-concept-frankfurt-motor-show-reveal/

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels...how/Jags-Cayman-alternative-revealed-20110907

http://www.automotto.com/entry/jaguar-reveals-porsche-cayman-slayer-x16-coming-frankfurt/

have you priced out a Cayman? It's pretty easy to hit a $90k sticker on a new Cayman R.

That last link you posted says 55,000 GBP, that almost 90K USD.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MikeOfTheLivingDead said:
have you priced out a Cayman? It's pretty easy to hit a $90k sticker on a new Cayman R.

Eh? Don't ever compare euro car prices to US prices. Silly. The VAT alone makes it so.

The Cayman R has a MSRP of $66k.

Zyzyxxz

Liquidsnake said:
LA: GAF in your opinion, would going to the LA auto show be better next Thursday or Friday?

If you go in the morning there will be less people, I've gone on a saturday at open and there was nobody there.

If you are planning to test drive cars, do that first!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bah321 said:

I know the track is prepped, the DA is probably negative 1 million and the guy probably rented it out for a day just for himself. It just shows what the car is potentially capable of.

"sticky" tacky tires. they eschew treads and use actual adherent friction for grip.

Zyzyxxz said:
If you go in the morning there will be less people, I've gone on a saturday at open and there was nobody there.

If you are planning to test drive cars, do that first!

Would this Sunday be a bad move? I was thinking Black Friday would be ok, since everyone is out shopping.

Zyzyxxz

Liquidsnake said:
Would this Sunday be a bad move? I was thinking Black Friday would be ok, since everyone is out shopping.

I'm pretty sure sunday will be dead, I've usually gone saturdays and it doesn't pick up until around noon to 1pm/

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:

Drag slicks are super stick compound tires. They have a very low temp resistance point, so they get very soft once warmed up and literally stick to the asphalt for maximum traction - try to find one of those 1000 framerate videos of a drag car in action with a shot of its slicks - you'll see its rubber peeling off the ground as the tire spins, it's awesome. They also work well because drag slicks and track asphalt are both made up of rubber, the sticking is extremely effective for straight line.

Never knew about the gps thing. Take it they don't actually run the cars at a dedicated dragstrip then?

Very few ever do, unless they're testing tons of cars for a comparo. They mostly rent/use a flat parking lot or rent a runway for an hour. If you look at videos from InsideLine/Edmunds and MotorTrend you'll see they aren't at a drag strip and both have published that they use GPS equipment to monitor their 1/4s. Plus, everyone has a different method of recording runs. At a drag strip, your time does not begin until your front wheels have crossed the line - at which point you can be going at around 5MPH (Inside Line uses this method and their GPS method as two separate figures).

AlphaSnake

MikeOfTheLivingDead said:

No one buys a Cayman for $90K. Just because you can option it that way, doesn't mean people actually do. The average selling price for a Cayman is in the 60K range.

Also, a PlayStation 3 is 250 Euros. And $250 dollars, despite the Euro being the stronger currency. You can't compare exchange rates like that on products like a car. Especially not the pound.

Viperbah

OuterWorldVoice said:
"sticky" tacky tires. they eschew treads and use actual adherent friction for grip.

AlphaSnake said:
Drag slicks are super stick compound tires. They have a very low temp resistance point, so they get very soft once warmed up and literally stick to the asphalt for maximum traction - try to find one of those 1000 framerate videos of a drag car in action with a shot of its slicks - you'll see its rubber peeling off the ground as the tire spins, it's awesome. They also work well because drag slicks and track asphalt are both made up of rubber, the sticking is extremely effective for straight line. .

Haha, I know what they are. I was just trying to be an ass...but that is a very good explanation...and yes those vids are awesome

AlphaSnake

bah321 said:
Haha, I know what they are. I was just trying to be an ass...but that is a very good explanation...and yes those vids are awesome

You dick. LOL

Lucky for you I never mind talking about cars and explaining shit in depth like this. I get a kick out of it, really.

JackEtc

Yeah, I think the Juke-R is a dumb idea as well.
Zyzyxxz said:
Considering the car weights 800 pounds less than a GT-R this must be a fun little hatch.
Wait, what? How heavy's a GT-R?

EDIT: 3829 lbs. Holy SHIT, that's really heavy. Never would of expected that.

Zyzyxxz

Also since its basically a all-out performance mod I'm sure the Juke will but gutted down to the carpeting but that will cancel out with the added weight of the VR38 twin turbo and AWD transmission.

Liquidsnake said:

I went the last day, last year and it was still crowded. Just go early morning.

JackEtc said:
Yeah, I think the Juke-R is a dumb idea as well.

Wait, what? How heavy's a GT-R?

EDIT: 3829 lbs. Holy SHIT, that's really heavy. Never would of expected that.
yes, it's a very big car.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
AlphaSnake said:
A lot of these guys grew up in the muscle car era and haven't been able to let the Mustang go. I've seen Mustangs praised in car mags from 1992 and up, and they were really terrible cars back then. They've come a long, looooong way since then - hell a long way since 2005 even - but they still lack a lot of refinement. My points are valid, and a lot of people simply choose to ignore them.

Overseas, a lot of critics have typically trashed Mustangs and Camaros. So it has a lot to do with biases and upbringings. Me, personally, I can look past a lot of that BS and just call it as I see it. Quite frankly, the way I see it is that the Challenger SRT8 392 is the best muscle car on the market - it's the most powerful in its class, has the best interior, has a great suspension, and IMO looks the best. It has the fewest compromises in the muscle car category. If you asked me last year, I'd have said Mustang 5.0 hands down. But since then Dodge has given us a new 6-speed transmission and an all new HEMI that belts out an additional 50HP. It is simply an awesome car.

So the way I see it is: my opinions change of these cars when one is genuinely better than the other. Is my opinion fact? No. But I also don't have biases towards any car, really. I was once an extreme Porsche hater - but I am smitten by the new 991 Carrera - it looks gorgeous inside and out (finally) and the Carrera S has the power to boot. I still dislike the Cayman and Boxster, but maybe my opinions of those will change in due time, as well.

...I wonder if the next challenger will have the supposed 8 speed ZF transmission. And lose a few lbs to below 4000lbs.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
DonasaurusRex said:
...I wonder if the next challenger will have the supposed 8 speed ZF transmission. And lose a few lbs to below 4000lbs.
I don't know if the Challenger is supposed to be around beyond the next couple of years, though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
JackEtc said:
At first I thought you just meant weight, but these pictures make it look huge.

I haven't got to seen one it real life before :( so I wouldn't really know. Apparently the dad of a girl in my high school drives one and picks her up every day in it. I'll have to stay after one day, I NEED TO SEE IT

i've seen one while on vacation in japan its not that big, maybe for a sports car it is but thats the last thing that will make an impression on you when you are next to that beauty.

Zyzyxxz said:
I have never liked the Juke based on an economical standpoint, who is the buyer? Why would they buy it? It's too damn small and crowded why not get a Ford Fieseta?!

But as a platform for a GT-R engine?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/nissan-juke-r-engine-noise-official-pics-2011-11-17

Considering the car weights 800 pounds less than a GT-R this must be a fun little hatch.

Am begging Nissan to build this car, they might kick start a revolution in SUV performance (Something AMG couldn't do).

AlphaSnake

I'm on pins and needles for every Juke-R video weekly. :)

I love this little fucking thing. I drove the one my shop had (they own a massive Nissan dealership across the street). It was a 6MT fully loaded car, and it was fucking awesome. Handled really well, and moved effortlessly. Buying this thing with a CVT would be a crime against humanity - it neuters the performance! The 6-speed manual just works for it and it was easy to drive.

Plus, they're underrated from the factory - my shop dynod theirs at 182WHP. :O

That's about 215HP at the crank. And dat torque curve.

AlphaSnake said:
I'm on pins and needles for every Juke-R video weekly. :)

I love this little fucking thing. I drove the one my shop had (they own a massive Nissan dealership across the street). It was a 6MT fully loaded car, and it was fucking awesome. Handled really well, and moved effortlessly. Buying this thing with a CVT would be a crime against humanity - it neuters the performance! The 6-speed manual just works for it and it was easy to drive.

Plus, they're underrated from the factory - my shop dynod theirs at 182WHP. :O

That's about 215HP at the crank. And dat torque curve.

Fuck the Juke R.

I want to buy one of these:

30788310049_large.jpg

30788310083_large.jpg

30788310092_large.jpg

GC Impreza coupe converted to RSTi with GD center diff, drivetrain, and engine. Under 2700 lbs, AWD, easy 400+ whp. There's some for sale for $15-20k near me.

Love those + Evo VI's so much. <3

JackEtc said:
I was all of a sudden in a car mood again, so I went to fawn over my dream car, the GT-R, some more.
I got to ride in one of these a few weeks back when I was in LA visiting a friend, who had traded up from his Audi RS4. Christ, the feeling in your gut when that thing let's go, it's just absurd. And so reasonably priced! With the AWD, I could even rationalize getting one for here in Maine...

AlphaSnake

Speaking of GTR, I love the fact that Nissan keeps upgrading the car every year. The 2013 models hitting dealers in 6 weeks (January '12) have more power. These constant revisions will ensure that price levels of the car will depreciate naturally as opposed to staying inflated just because not all GTRs will be the same.

Zyzyxxz

AlphaSnake said:
Speaking of GTR, I love the fact that Nissan keeps upgrading the car every year. The 2013 models hitting dealers in 6 weeks (January '12) have more power. These constant revisions will ensure that price levels of the car will depreciate naturally as opposed to staying inflated just because not all GTRs will be the same.

I don't think second hand market was what they had in mind unless they plan to lure back in last year's buyers to trade up so they can resell it.

Halvie

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Fuck the Juke R.

I want to buy one of these:

30788310049_large.jpg

Would be beastly.

They aren't thinking of actually making a production Juke R are they? Would be pretty nice :)

Guess guy wasn't trolling me. Parts overnighted. Goes in for install tomorrow. Should be a lot more fun. -500rpm spool / ~420whp

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
A lot of these guys grew up in the muscle car era and haven't been able to let the Mustang go. I've seen Mustangs praised in car mags from 1992 and up, and they were really terrible cars back then. They've come a long, looooong way since then - hell a long way since 2005 even - but they still lack a lot of refinement. My points are valid, and a lot of people simply choose to ignore them.

Overseas, a lot of critics have typically trashed Mustangs and Camaros. So it has a lot to do with biases and upbringings. Me, personally, I can look past a lot of that BS and just call it as I see it. Quite frankly, the way I see it is that the Challenger SRT8 392 is the best muscle car on the market - it's the most powerful in its class, has the best interior, has a great suspension, and IMO looks the best. It has the fewest compromises in the muscle car category. If you asked me last year, I'd have said Mustang 5.0 hands down. But since then Dodge has given us a new 6-speed transmission and an all new HEMI that belts out an additional 50HP. It is simply an awesome car.

So the way I see it is: my opinions change of these cars when one is genuinely better than the other. Is my opinion fact? No. But I also don't have biases towards any car, really. I was once an extreme Porsche hater - but I am smitten by the new 991 Carrera - it looks gorgeous inside and out (finally) and the Carrera S has the power to boot. I still dislike the Cayman and Boxster, but maybe my opinions of those will change in due time, as well.
I absolutely agree that Mustang bashing has a lot to do with not growing up with 40 years of Mustangs running our roads. It also has to do a lot with the opposite feeling in the US. As I said with the Corvette, I don't think American cars are ever going to get a fair shake in the global court of opinion - heck, I don't even think Japanese cars quite get a fair shake.

I don't really agree with your assessment of the SRT8 either, at least on the performance metrics. The SRT8 isn't faster (and is significantly heavier by a large margin) than even the base GT, and the Boss 302 is significantly cheaper than the SRT8 and smokes it in every plausible way, particularly handling (although I'm totally expecting the live axle angle from somewhere). I wouldn't trust a transmission designed by Chrysler either, frankly.

twinturbo2 said:
I don't know if the Challenger is supposed to be around beyond the next couple of years, though.
It's only scheduled to be in production through 2013 or 2014, but I think the Challenger is a halo effect car that Chrysler doesn't have the wherewithal to just cut from its lineup. Without the Challenger and the Charger in its lineup the company there's a huge identity crisis fleet wide. I think those two cars are literally the only things keeping the brand afloat now that the Ram brand got split off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom