• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
I love everything about it except the way it looks.
If you haven't do so already, give the E350 Coupe a look. aside from the slightly uninspired nav screen and UI, and fake plastic chrome pieces, I thought it was damn good looking inside and out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ascii42 said:
I forgot about the C4, though they were still more of a rounded square.
0404vette_08_z+1994_chevrolet_brickyard_corvette+taillights.jpg

Yep, though it was a massive departure from the perfectly round tails of the C3 back then.

AcridMeat said:
Shame about the color. Can't you just find a shop to do another one for you? Or is that typically not a good idea?

And I know what you mean, one day we can join the discussion of luxury! This is (pretty much) what my car is. I have different wheels and a tan leather interior. Love the 5-speed in it at least. :)
83415425.jpg

I don't know about prices from where you are, but here, it'd probably cost a 1/3rd of what I'm about to pay! I'd hunt a bit more, but the one I'm set on has only had one owner and has a senior position at work and so I'm pretty comfortable with the sale.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dreams-Visions said:
If you haven't do so already, give the E350 Coupe a look. aside from the slightly uninspired nav screen and UI, and fake plastic chrome pieces, I thought it was damn good looking inside and out.
Automatic. And it's slightly larger than what I'd want.

I've driven by a couple of them on the highway and they do look good.

EDIT: I should say I will give plenty of cars their due diligence and at least test-drive them. A couple of Mercs for sure.

reilo said:

Understood. Yea, they're a bit bigger than the 3 series. Might be worth a test-drive just to rule it out. I was really impressed by it.

Maybe a used Jaguar XK? (I suddenly feel like I'm offering all the cars I recently looked at. lol)

AlphaSnake

Might be a bit premature to bring this up, but I may be signing a lease on a new car for my mom on Saturday. Getting her a Volvo S60. Trading in her Rabbit. She really loves it.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:

EDIT: I should say I will give plenty of cars their due diligence and at least test-drive them. A couple of Mercs for sure.

Maybe just buy a E39 M5? Seems what you want does not really exist anymore in today's car world at your price range.

Or heck just buy a good condition NSX with that kind of money.

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
Understood. Yea, they're a bit bigger than the 3 series. Might be worth a test-drive just to rule it out. I was really impressed by it.

Maybe a used Jaguar XK? (I suddenly feel like I'm offering all the cars I recently looked at. lol)
Great minds blah blah
Zyzyxxz said:
Maybe just buy a E39 M5? Seems what you want does not really exist anymore in today's car world at your price range.

Or heck just buy a good condition NSX with that kind of money.
I want something new or close to new. I also am not ready for a project car.

I love the M5 but 4,000 curb weight is pushing it, and it's larger than what I want.

I've never been a big fan of the NSX, and they are expensive as fuck. $45k for a '98 with 50k miles? Yikes.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
Great minds blah blah

I want something new or close to new. I also am not ready for a project car.

I love the M5 but 4,000 curb weight is pushing it, and it's larger than what I want.

I've never been a big fan of the NSX, and they are expensive as fuck. $45k for a '98 with 50k miles? Yikes.

What were your targets again for a car? What're you looking for?

AlphaSnake

reilo said:

V8, RWD, Coupe, Manual, European, Great looking, LSD, ~$50k

Sorta-European (Aussie, really...), though I'm not sure if it's open-diff or LSD. Looks are subjective, but I've always loved its timeless simplicity, especially modded:

pontiac-gto-wallpapers-4.jpg

*FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP*

LS2. 6MT. RWD. Tons of motor mods. Tons of handling mods. Tons of body mods. Inexpensive aftermarket. Stupidly fast when you're done. Tastefully modded can be gorgeous.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
Sorta-European (Aussie, really...), though I'm not sure if it's open-diff or LSD. Looks are subjective, but I've always loved its timeless simplicity, especially modded:

http://www.skinz.org/cars/pontiac-gto/pontiac-gto-wallpapers-4.jpg[/IMG

*FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP*

LS2. 6MT. RWD. Tons of motor mods. Tons of handling mods. Tons of body mods. Inexpensive aftermarket. Stupidly fast when you're done. Tastefully modded can be gorgeous.[/QUOTE]
I forgot about that car. It's damn cheap, too.

The styling of it though... There's an '06 for sale near me for $23k and 10k miles. I'll keep it in mind, for sure.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Fallout-NL]
Weird that you wouldn't like the NSX, fucking beautiful car. Though I agree with the prices. That's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
It's not an ugly car, no way, it just doesn't fit my style. And the prices are just too much.
[QUOTE=Chuck]Have you considered a Porsche 911 Carrera? They're incredibly reliable.[/QUOTE]
Yes of course. One of my top choices, but price is an issue (especially in my area).

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I forgot about that car. It's damn cheap, too.

The styling of it though... There's an '06 for sale near me for $23k and 10k miles. I'll keep it in mind, for sure.

Thanks!

The styling is not to everyone's tastes, it's very subdued. But man, those things are holding their value like crazy. I had a deposit on one before I bought a 350Z in 2007, and it was $25K for 23K miles. Red on red. 6MT.

4 years later, you're showing me a car that's worth nearly the same. That's just insane. G8 GTs and G8 GXPs are still near and above the $30K mark, especially the GXP - they're appreciating in value. Nuts.

reilo

AlphaSnake said:
The styling is not to everyone's tastes, it's very subdued. But man, those things are holding their value like crazy. I had a deposit on one before I bought a 350Z in 2007, and it was $25K for 23K miles. Red on red. 6MT.

4 years later, you're showing me a car that's worth nearly the same. That's just insane. G8 GTs and G8 GXPs are still near and above the $30K mark, especially the GXP - they're appreciating in value. Nuts.
I've seen plenty of them for less than $20k but the mileage is a bit high. I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a low-mileage car because the chances of it being driven hard diminish exponentially.

ascii42 said:
According to Jalopnik this is what the next Corvette is going to look like. I'm not sure about the taillights. They've been round for what, 50 years now?

xlarge_d2daf6e012dd8fce517f25acb330303b.jpg

xlarge_c52a837b981bde3536270f164ca05252.jpg

Not a fan. It has too many hard lines, just like the new Camaro and Cadillac cars. It's trying to hard to look futuristic, the designers should more at Ferrari and less at Lamborghini for design cues. I do like the new window behind the door, but everything else looks trashy. The hood scoop and side grills/vents don't look big enough to be aerodynamically or mechanically important and so come off as looking tacked on for aesthetics. And the Camaro tail-lights, ugh, a Corvette needs big strong tail-lights, bring back the C4 era square ones if needed, but these ones look awful.

amrihua

The new Corvette looks promising. About time GM put some flare back in it. There hasn't been a looker since the 3rd gen. Corvette.

Pterion

GAF also complains about the ft86, but hardcore enthusiasts are pretty excited about it. M cars always looked good by the way.

reilo

Pterion said:
GAF also complains about the ft86, but hardcore enthusiasts are pretty excited about it. M cars always looked good by the way.
E60 M5 wasn't so pretty. F10 is straight fire though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
weekend_warrior said:
Not a fan. It has too many hard lines, just like the new Camaro and Cadillac cars. It's trying to hard to look futuristic, the designers should more at Ferrari and less at Lamborghini for design cues. I do like the new window behind the door, but everything else looks trashy. The hood scoop and side grills/vents don't look big enough to be aerodynamically or mechanically important and so come off as looking tacked on for aesthetics. And the Camaro tail-lights, ugh, a Corvette needs big strong tail-lights, bring back the C4 era square ones if needed, but these ones look awful.
It's just a concept render. They never end up with that many aggressive lines off the production line.

I'd like to see smaller tail lights, in fact, something more C2 like. The C2 was such a classic car, why can't we get something that's evocative of that rather than just looking like a aggro version of the C6? In all fairness, I still like the C6, so I would like the C7, I just don't think it's best look ever. They really need to up the interior quality to match comparable cars. I don't buy the argument that because you can get one under 55K it needs to have a fucking terrible looking cabin.

However, there also isn't anything the Vette can do to convince either Europeans or European Car Guy that it's a good car. It's like American beer - it doesn't matter how good it is, there's always going to a contingent of people that that say "American beer sucks."

Angry Grimace said:
It's just a concept render. They never end up with that many aggressive lines off the production line.

I'd like to see smaller tail lights, in fact, something more C2 like. The C2 was such a classic car, why can't we get something that's evocative of that rather than just looking like a aggro version of the C6? In all fairness, I still like the C6, so I would like the C7, I just don't think it's best look ever. They really need to up the interior quality to match comparable cars. I don't buy the argument that because you can get one under 55K it needs to have a fucking terrible looking cabin.

However, there also isn't anything the Vette can do to convince either Europeans or European Car Guy that it's a good car. It's like American beer - it doesn't matter how good it is, there's always going to a contingent of people that that say "American beer sucks."

Like this?

0xqtD.jpg

NzMmi.jpg

AlphaSnake

Angry Grimace said:

You should actually read the entire article. It's not a concept render. The press was recently shown the C7 Corvette in all of its glory. A lot of the pubs were smart enough to bring artists with them to memorize the car and recreate it in Photoshop.

Halvie

Banned
sca2511 said:
ugh, just went over Halvie's GTI build and I'm so damn jealous.

tt aluminum lower control arms and knuckles. whiteline bushings, and about a 75whp bump coming on friday ;)

thanks btw!!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AlphaSnake said:
You should actually read the entire article. It's not a concept render. The press was recently shown the C7 Corvette in all of its glory. A lot of the pubs were smart enough to bring artists with them to memorize the car and recreate it in Photoshop.
It isn't that I just didn't read the entire article, it's that I didn't even know there was an article since the only thing I saw derived from it was the picture :V

Even so, my guess is that the base model won't be quite as aggressive looking either. I can only assume it's going to stick with the same engine options as it always has. It seems like I've heard rumors of twin turbos and V6s every other year, but then we just stick with big V8, supercharged big V8 and huge V8.

Also, that C2-->C6 thing is just a bit...heavy-handed.

h1nch said:
I really like that new Corvette. And I usually hate American cars (Sorry, but the Camaro is an abomination)
Does anyone like the Camaro? Whether that kind of car is what you like or not, it just doesn't seem like a particularly good car. It's uglier than its competitors and you can't see anything out of it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I hate Honda's trolling.

New Integra! Whaaa?

0 - 60 in under 5 secs! WHAAA?

65 mpg! OMGWTFPONIES!!

6546ea33993e642d000dfb754a766b04.jpg

Oh, a scooter.

Angry Grimace

bah321 said:
Haha that is awesome. 650 Hp....

Going to be interesting to see if they can actually put that to the ground. All of the previous GT500s have failed miserably with this.
My problem is that if the GT500s price point is already too high for a Mustang regardless of power output. I mean, the power output is nice and all, but it's still a Mustang and putting down $60,000 for a Mustang doesn't seem right.

Angry Grimace

twinturbo2 said:
They might as well go insane before the new fuel economy regulations neuter everything fun-to-drive.
The new fuel economy regulations are fleet wide, so probably won't make a crazy big deal on these niche cars. It's emissions standards that neuter cars.

The vast majority of buyers consider higher fuel economy a plus and just buy Ford Focuses.

ascii42 said:
According to Jalopnik this is what the next Corvette is going to look like. I'm not sure about the taillights. They've been round for what, 50 years now?

xlarge_d2daf6e012dd8fce517f25acb330303b.jpg

xlarge_c52a837b981bde3536270f164ca05252.jpg

WTF is this shit, they finally got it right with the current C6's and they are going to fuck it up. the back lights make it look a bit like the Camaro, side profile looks like the GTR too. A bit of mess, but at least they redesign their car's unlike a certain company.

Angry Grimace

GTP_Daverytimes said:
WTF is this shit, they finally got it right with the current C6's and they are going to fuck it up. the back lights make it look a bit like the Camaro, seems like they are trying to copy the Nissan GTR a bit.
I'm not sure what's so wrong with it. The shape is generally the same and the lines don't really 'ruin' the car. To me it still looks like a Corvette through and through. Certainly more of an evolution than C5 to C6, which barely looked like a new car if you weren't a car guy.

ascii42

Angry Grimace said:
Does anyone like the Camaro? Whether that kind of car is what you like or not, it just doesn't seem like a particularly good car. It's uglier than its competitors and you can't see anything out of it.
Its sales suggest people like it. I personally like the way it looks, and it seems to perform about as well as the Mustang, despite weighing a couple hundred pounds more, though I agree about the visibility issue.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm not sure what's so wrong with it. The shape is generally the same and the lines don't really 'ruin' the car. To me it still looks like a Corvette through and through. Certainly more of an evolution than C5 to C6, which barely looked like a new car if you weren't a car guy.

I think it's trying too hard to look agressive, a lot of lines doesn't make a car look aggressive. The Nissan GTR is a perfect example of how to make a car look aggressive without all the lines which disproportionates the car.
10-2012-nissan-gt-r-fd-opt2.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Angry Grimace said:
The new fuel economy regulations are fleet wide, so probably won't make a crazy big deal on these niche cars. It's emissions standards that neuter cars.

The vast majority of buyers consider higher fuel economy a plus and just buy Ford Focuses.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm convinced that in 2025, we'll all be driving automated shitboxes, and any old cars will be crushed to force people into those shitboxes or in public transportation.

Angry Grimace

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I'm convinced that in 2025, we'll all be driving automated shitboxes, and any old cars will be crushed to force people into those shitboxes or in public transportation.
I'm planning to flout these laws and outrun the enforcer's air-cars by keeping my old sports cars hidden under debris at a white-haired uncle's old farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom