• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halvie

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It's only scheduled to be in production through 2013 or 2014, but I think the Challenger is a halo effect car that Chrysler doesn't have the wherewithal to just cut from its lineup. Without the Challenger and the Charger in its lineup the company there's a huge identity crisis fleet wide. I think those two cars are literally the only things keeping the brand afloat now that the Ram brand got split off.

Should redesign it as a slightly smaller car. Really like the exterior (the 2011 r/t interior I was in was total crap...), but it is just too huge of a car.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
Wtf? First off, yes there is road noise. That's what happens with a car like this - the cabin and trunk are not separated. Secondly, the Bose stereo is fine for that type of car, especially one as small as the Z. The quarter window is only there to finish off the look of the profile - it wasn't functional in the 350Z and it isn't in the 370Z. The blind spot jargon is BS - have your mirrors properly adjusted and you'll see everything just fine, as long as you don't gangsta lean in your seat like a moron. I've never once had a problem with either of my Zs.

And too much body roll? You've clearly never even driven one. It's one of the tightest cars on the road, and far more composed than the 350Z.

This car isn't my God, I'll have no problem trading it up as soon as something better comes along. It has a bunch of drawbacks, but they don't hurt the overall experience much, if at all, especially considering the car's segment. It's a sports car, not a GT.
You're obviously biased. No biggie. For example, i'm openly biased about the PS Vita. :)

I was honestly fucking with you. I baited you, and you took it. I actually own a 370z, If you want pics for proof, I can take some tomorrow or any other day. I'm not jaded enough to see its flaws. The cabin and trunk are not separated is your excuse for road noise? lolz

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Bad_Boy said:
You're obviously biased. No biggie. For example, i'm openly biased about the PS Vita. :)

I was honestly fucking with you. I baited you, and you took it. I actually own a 370z, If you want pics for proof, I can take some tomorrow or any other day. I'm not jaded enough to see its flaws. The cabin and trunk are not separated is your excuse for road noise? lolz

I believe you have one. I really don't care. But it sounds to me you also don't know what you're talking about. The road noise comes from the rear because instead of a regular trunk, our Zs have a hatch. The hatch is part of the cabin, so the road noise has nowhere to go but into that cabin. If the Z was more like the G35 and G37 and had a proper trunk, that same road noise would get trapped in there. But it doesn't. This is simply an inherent quality of hatchbacks - the Corvette suffers from this, as well.

The flaws you described are nitpicky, and borderline wrong. Body roll? Really? Unless you're comparing this to a Lotus, there isn't much body roll to speak of - especially if you have the sports package like I do. Likewise, same goes for the stereo...I assume you have the base stereo, which would be shitty in practically any car - including almost any BMW, south of the 7-series. If you have the Bose and you think it's shitty, then I don't know what to tell you - this isn't a car to have a pimpin' gangsta sound system. What it has as optional is more than adequate, but far from shitty.

h1nch

For some ungodly reason I've never had the opportunity to drive a 350z or 370z. I really want to though...

In other news, I got my baby back. The techs had to remove the headliner and the entire front dash and drive the car around to determine the source of my creaking, which turned out to be a clip that had come lose behind the dash.

Car is back and rattle free, though the tech believes my rear doors will eventually develop the same rattle. Not a problem though since they know what the fix is. I just couldn't bare to be without the car anymore time so I'll wait until my next scheduled interview to have them replace the seals on the rear door.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
I believe you have one. I really don't care. But it sounds to me you also don't know what you're talking about. The road noise comes from the rear because instead of a regular trunk, our Zs have a hatch. The hatch is part of the cabin, so the road noise has nowhere to go but into that cabin. If the Z was more like the G35 and G37 and had a proper trunk, that same road noise would get trapped in there. But it doesn't. This is simply an inherent quality of hatchbacks - the Corvette suffers from this, as well.

The flaws you described are nitpicky, and borderline wrong. Body roll? Really? Unless you're comparing this to a Lotus, there isn't much body roll to speak of - especially if you have the sports package like I do. Likewise, same goes for the stereo...I assume you have the base stereo, which would be shitty in practically any car - including almost any BMW, south of the 7-series. If you have the Bose and you think it's shitty, then I don't know what to tell you - this isn't a car to have a pimpin' gangsta sound system. What it has as optional is more than adequate, but far from shitty.
I'm honestly not even going to get into it with you. Bottom line, 370z is a great car. But for 40k+ I have every right to "nitpick". No base model either lol.

I see the flaws in my FJ too. A car I love so much I would never get rid of.

h1nch said:
For some ungodly reason I've never had the opportunity to drive a 350z or 370z. I really want to though...

In other news, I got my baby back. The techs had to remove the headliner and the entire front dash and drive the car around to determine the source of my creaking, which turned out to be a clip that had come lose behind the dash.

Car is back and rattle free, though the tech believes my rear doors will eventually develop the same rattle. Not a problem though since they know what the fix is. I just couldn't bare to be without the car anymore time so I'll wait until my next scheduled interview to have them replace the seals on the rear door.
I take it your car is still under warranty? Also, What kind of car? I missed it.

h1nch

Bad_Boy said:
I'm honestly not even going to get into it with you. Bottom line, 370z is a great car. But for 40k+ I have every right to "nitpick". No base model either lol.

I see the flaws in my FJ too. A car I love so much I would never get rid of.

I take it your car is still under warranty? Also, What kind of car? I missed it.

2011 335i sedan. Still under warranty, under 1500 miles in fact :lol

Not off to the best start reliability-wise, but I knew she was high maintenance when I got her.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
h1nch said:
2011 335i sedan. Still under warranty, under 1500 miles in fact :lol

Not off to the best start reliability-wise, but I knew she was high maintenance when I got her.
Gotcha, that makes sense now. Seemed like an easy fix for a day project. But being under warranty there is no point to mess with it.

I lost my warranty at around 10k miles. I didnt feel like waiting another 20k to mod it. Thankfully nothing gone wrong just yet. Knock on wood.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You don't lose your warranty by modding. Although I suppose that depends on the mod.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
reilo said:
You don't lose your warranty by modding. Although I suppose that depends on the mod.
Yeah, definitely depends on the mod. For me, it was upgrading the entire suspension that killed it. If i had it done by a certified tech (i.e. the dealership), I actually would have kept it. But no way was I paying 80 bucks an hour them to do it, on top of paying $1500 for the parts. So.. Me and a friend did it in the garage.

After the suspension, I just went mod crazy. Audio upgrades, dynamat, drilling holes, engine performance, etc.

AlphaSnake

Yeah, you don't void a warranty for modding a car. That's not how it works. You forfeit warranty on the component you replaced or on the component that requires the function of the OEM part. So if you replaced your intake manifold, let's say, and you blew...ohh...a head gasket. They can blame it on you touching the motor. But if you installed an exhaust, high-flow cats or straight pipes, and a set of headers...and you have a misfire from an ignition coil, you're covered - the mods aren't correlated.

Likewise, if you're touching the OEM cats, that means you've touched the O2 Sensors...you've forfeited warranty on that. But mechanically, cars these days have engines and transmissions that last forever. It's all the other stuff that tends to go wrong. I for one have no OEM cats, a full exhaust, intake, drop, and an ECU tune. :)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, definitely depends on the mod. For me, it was upgrading the entire suspension that killed it. If i had it done by a certified tech (i.e. the dealership), I actually would have kept it. But no way was I paying 80 bucks an hour them to do it, on top of paying $1500 for the parts. So.. Me and a friend did it in the garage.

After the suspension, I just went mod crazy. Audio upgrades, dynamat, drilling holes, engine performance, etc.
None of those void your warranty UNLESS they cause something to go wrong with your car and you try to have it fixed under warranty.

For example, there was a TSB for my VVT module, which ended up going out. I had it fixed under warranty despite the local Mazda rep giving the dealer shit for the mods on my car. They ended up taking care of it anyway because the mods were unrelated and IT WAS A FUCKING TSB.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
reilo said:
None of those void your warranty UNLESS they cause something to go wrong with your car and you try to have it fixed under warranty.

For example, there was a TSB for my VVT module, which ended up going out. I had it fixed under warranty despite the local Mazda rep giving the dealer shit for the mods on my car. They ended up taking care of it anyway because the mods were unrelated and IT WAS A FUCKING TSB.
I get you. I was just saying, that I've basically taken most of my car apart and back together. I would be surprised if something went wrong that I didnt touch. Even if it was a window motor failing, which I never touched. I took apart the door panels for dynamat & audio. Even my fuse box has been modded. The dealership would probably blame that on me somehow.

edit:
If I get a chance this weekend I'll record some video of my exhaust mod. One that I haven't seen on any other car in years. Probably my favorite mod.

TylerD

I loved driving my roommates 370z when he had it. I think it is pretty much the closest thing right now to a modern 944 and it kind of reminded me of my 944 Turbo. That VQ37 is an impressive power plant.

Stock stereo definitely sucks but I could live with the road noise. The blind spots were bad but I never readjusted his mirrors.

Might try to find a gently used 370 or G37 coupe in a couple of years but I am going to enjoy no car payments for a bit so I can pay off student loans, travel, and do some extra investing.

ascii42

Angry Grimace said:
I don't really agree with your assessment of the SRT8 either, at least on the performance metrics. The SRT8 isn't faster (and is significantly heavier by a large margin) than even the base GT, and the Boss 302 is significantly cheaper than the SRT8 and smokes it in every plausible way, particularly handling (although I'm totally expecting the live axle angle from somewhere). I wouldn't trust a transmission designed by Chrysler either, frankly.

I believe the manual transmission in the Challenger is the same Tremec transmission you get in the Camaro, Corvette, CTS-V, and Shelby GT-500.

It's only scheduled to be in production through 2013 or 2014, but I think the Challenger is a halo effect car that Chrysler doesn't have the wherewithal to just cut from its lineup. Without the Challenger and the Charger in its lineup the company there's a huge identity crisis fleet wide. I think those two cars are literally the only things keeping the brand afloat now that the Ram brand got split off.
I agree. They just refreshed the Charger, so that's not going anywhere. The Challenger is basically a two door Charger, so it's not that hard for them to keep making. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Charger goes to a new platform, though.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So Ameri-GAF... The new Lincoln MKS: Yay or nay?

0001-2013-lincoln-mks.jpg

0002-2013-lincoln-mks.jpg

That ugly thing is growing on me... (there is no remote hope for the MKT, though).

ascii42

Funky Papa said:

That ugly thing is growing on me... (there is no remote hope for the MKT, though).
The rear end looks better, and the interior is nice, but the grille looks like a crappy aftermarket insert. Wouldn't stop me buying one, but...
the problem the car has, is even among just American luxury, I can't see buying it over the Chrysler 300 or the Cadillac XTS when it comes out.

wheels-xtsla-blog480.jpg

16show-xts-slides-slide-YE8G-blog480.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Funky Papa said:

0001-2013-lincoln-mks.jpg

0002-2013-lincoln-mks.jpg

well it looks better... but look at it from the bottom up and it looks like the taurus with a diff grille. The 2013 redesign cant come quick enough this is basically more of the same ole Lincoln that Ford is phasing out so they can have unique vehicles.

cajunator

Banned
I definitely like it as a Ford fan. However, I saw pictures of this today and fucking creamed myself.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? ITS A FUCKING CORVETTE MID ENGINED DAYTONA PROTOTYPE IS WHAT THIS IS!!!!
2225308c.jpg

2225308a.jpg

2225308b.jpg

ascii42

I never would have thought the Corvette would work as a mid engine car, but that does look good. Though I do hope the real 'Vette stays front engine.

cajunator said:
I definitely like it as a Ford fan. However, I saw pictures of this today and fucking creamed myself.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS? ITS A FUCKING CORVETTE MID ENGINED DAYTONA PROTOTYPE IS WHAT THIS IS!!!!
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/188014/2225308c.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/188014/2225308a.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/188014/2225308b.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
isn't that car new from the ground up? they just slapped the corvette name on it and emulated the looks a little.

AlphaSnake

Bad_Boy said:
I get you. I was just saying, that I've basically taken most of my car apart and back together. I would be surprised if something went wrong that I didnt touch. Even if it was a window motor failing, which I never touched. I took apart the door panels for dynamat & audio. Even my fuse box has been modded. The dealership would probably blame that on me somehow.

edit:
If I get a chance this weekend I'll record some video of my exhaust mod. One that I haven't seen on any other car in years. Probably my favorite mod.

What do you have done? Are you The370Z.com?

TylerD

ascii42 said:
The look has grown on me a bit, but I don't think I could stomach that turbo 4.

I wasn't that thrilled with the redesign either when BMW released the press images. The nose doesn't seem as long in AB's shots though and I think it looks good. 6 speed manual with a 7,200 rpm redline would be lots of fun in someone else's 3. :)

AlphaSnake

ascii42 said:
The look has grown on me a bit, but I don't think I could stomach that turbo 4.

Why not? I've heard the 528i with that motor is really nice. Plus an ECU upgrade has popped up adding 50HP and 60lbs of TQ to this with some conservative adjustments. Almost defeats the purpose of the 535i.

ascii42

AlphaSnake said:
Why not? I've heard the 528i with that motor is really nice. Plus an ECU upgrade has popped up adding 50HP and 60lbs of TQ to this with some conservative adjustments. Almost defeats the purpose of the 535i.
I'm no BMW enthusiast, but their straight sixes are nice. Almost to the point of being the primary reason I'd buy a BMW. I'm sure it is a great engine, but it's just not for me. Not that it matters, I'm not really the target for this car. Shoot, two of my cars are front wheel drive, and all three have automatic transmissions and under 200 hp. Which brings me to another question: why can't I get a manual transmission in a 335d? BMW doesn't make a strong enough clutch or something? I would actually (want to) buy that.

kharma45

ascii42 said:
Which brings me to another question: why can't I get a manual transmission in a 335d? BMW doesn't make a strong enough clutch or something? I would actually (want to) buy that.

Yeah BMW don't have a manual clutch that'll cope with the torque from the 335d.

ascii42 said:
I'm no BMW enthusiast, but their straight sixes are nice. Almost to the point of being the primary reason I'd buy a BMW. I'm sure it is a great engine, but it's just not for me. Not that it matters, I'm not really the target for this car. Shoot, two of my cars are front wheel drive, and all three have automatic transmissions and under 200 hp. Which brings me to another question: why can't I get a manual transmission in a 335d? BMW doesn't make a strong enough clutch or something? I would actually (want to) buy that.

They don't have a strong enough clutch or 6MT transmission, supposedly.

I'm guessing the market for a 6MT 335d is very, very small. It's a total yuppie, 'feel-good' commuter car.

JackEtc

If you guys haven't heard of saabkyle04 on YouTube, he does very detailed, very high quality tours of cars. No matter if the car's a Bentley GT, a 1989 Eldorado Bus, or a plain Civic, he treats all the cars the same. I feel like I'm actually at the dealer considering a purchase.

You should really check him out. Also because he just uploaded a tour of the 458 Italia.

Oh my Goooodddddddddddd

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Funky Papa said:

I still contend Lincoln has no reason to exist.

Halvie said:
Should redesign it as a slightly smaller car. Really like the exterior (the 2011 r/t interior I was in was total crap...), but it is just too huge of a car.
The Challenger's hugeness is part of what the Challenger is. It's like saying they should add a backseat to the Corvette to me. It's not really designed to win drag races against the pony cars. It's a full on modern muscle car, really. There's no reason at all to make the car smaller because at that point you're changing the design philosophy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Halvie said:
Whoever designed the front has no business designing cars. Can't imagine it looking worse than that.

It looks like the eyebrows of a fifty five year old Armenian cab driver.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
What do you have done? Are you The370Z.com?
It's an FJ mod, a mod I've only seen on the internet, and never in person. But I'll take video tomorrow for sure. Gotta run to work right now.

I honestly haven't really done anything to the 370z. Just tinted windows, dynamat and a new audio config. It's a fun car no doubt. I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AlphaSnake said:
That engine sounds good on paper, but damn... the thing sounds like a pneumatic hammer. Just watch the video.

ascii42

Angry Grimace said:
The Challenger's hugeness is part of what the Challenger is. It's like saying they should add a backseat to the Corvette to me. It's not really designed to win drag races against the pony cars. It's a full on modern muscle car, really. There's no reason at all to make the car smaller because at that point you're changing the design philosophy.
I agree, among the things I like about the Challenger are the usable rear seat and large trunk. Shrinking the Challenger removes that. Dodge sort of has an advantage right now in that the Challenger is in a class of its own. If they built it to compete with the Camaro and Mustang it would actually have to be competitive in that class.

AlphaSnake

That engine sounds good on paper, but damn... the thing sounds like a pneumatic hammer. Just watch the video.

Yeah, it is very loud. Reminds me of my girlfriend's Audi A4 2.0T - it sounded just as bad. Sounds like the injectors on the motor are too loud and aggressive - common on a lot of forced induction 4-cylinder vehicles. Though, her current 335i Coupe sounds pretty quiet at idle, and Audi has made great improvements to the sound of their current 2.0T. Regardless, this is BMW's early foray into unknown territory, unfortunately.

That engine sounds like complete garbage. Sounds like a Honda that needs a valve adjustment badly.

My question is, if it sounds that horrible when it's NEW and running good, A. how are you going to tell if something is going wrong and/or B. how awful must it sound when something does go wrong?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Honestly, I do hope that Chrysler gives a major restyling for the Challenger once production of the current model ends. Imagine a Challenger that keeps the '70s styling, but loses 500 or so pounds and gets some engineering help from the Alfa Romeo and Ferrari camps...

Halvie

Banned

I mean I get that they are supposed to be "bigger" cars, but they seem to be following the same trend as everyone else, growing bigger every year/model.

A b5 a4/s4 if a lot smaller than the b8. E30 is a lot smaller than E90. I just like the smaller size of older cars I guess. I don't see the appeal of constantly making cars bigger.

First 4 cylinder DI engine you have heard? They tend to sound like shit.

diddles

Banned
any of you guys 'do it yourself'ers or better? i love working on cars but i'm certainly not a trained professional. i'm home on my vacation for a couple weeks, and i offered to do the timing belt and water pump in my mom's 2002 Nissan Quest with 110,000 miles on it... quality time with my old man, save em some money, right?

but MOTHERFUCK if these cars aren't a bitch to work on. every single step is hell, especially taking the thing apart. bolts in insane places, hoses baked on with no access to get them off, parts crammed into the smallest spaces that end up being some ancient chinese puzzle trying to get them out... my hands look like i've been in a knife fight.

got the new water pump on, tomorrow we'll get the belts on and put it back together. hope it goes smooth. i've done this type of stuff before so i know what to do to get it right, but the Quest is an especially frustrating engine to work on.

ascii42

I just like the smaller size of older cars I guess. I don't see the appeal of constantly making cars bigger.

Understandable, the increasing size certainly has its negative effects. However, there are those of us who like the bigger size of older cars (insert avatar quote). It all depends on the type of car. The size of the Challenger fits its role as a cruiser.

One idea I wouldn't be opposed to is redoing the Challenger as a Charger coupe, since it's practically the same thing and the Charger has the better interior. That would free the Challenger name to be used on a true Mustang/Camaro competitor.

J-Rzez

Gotta love the Pony wars are back and in full effect.

Chevy - Let's get that mustang
Ford - Lol no
Chevy - Yep, sales are our way first time ever bitches
Ford - 5.0
Chevy - Nice try. Now let's get their main pony, the snake. ZL-1 baby, more HP than yours.
Ford - New cobra, 650hp lol. And the Boss is better than ever.
Chevy - Well how about... (we got nothing? damn)... Well you Mustang guys should thank us for pushing Ford.

Which they did, I'll give Chevy credit there. Getting them to pick up the pace and put a real motor back into the GT was nice. The Boss is incredible. And now the 650hp beast (though I doubt they'll get that power to be usable considering the past few wouldn't hook up).

Gotta love the Pony wars are back and in full effect.

Chevy - Let's get that mustang
Ford - Lol no
Chevy - Yep, sales are our way first time ever bitches
Ford - 5.0
Chevy - Nice try. Now let's get their main pony, the snake. ZL-1 baby, more HP than yours.
Ford - New cobra, 650hp lol. And the Boss is better than ever.
Chevy - Well how about... (we got nothing? damn)... Well you Mustang guys should thank us for pushing Ford.

Which they did, I'll give Chevy credit there. Getting them to pick up the pace and put a real motor back into the GT was nice. The Boss is incredible. And now the 650hp beast (though I doubt they'll get that power to be usable considering the past few wouldn't hook up).

ZR1 to have 800hp next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom