• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

ZR1 to have 800hp next year?

Well that's their Vette, the "Pony Wars" are the Stang and Camaro. Maybe they'll do a Yenko or "COPO" Camaro eventually, but first I think you'll see them resurrect the Z28. It's these people's own little world where there's no other cars besides those two though, and only Firebirds and an odd Mopar in the mix at times.

Well that's their Vette, the "Pony Wars" are the Stang and Camaro. Maybe they'll do a Yenko or "COPO" Camaro eventually, but first I think you'll see them resurrect the Z28. It's these people's own little world where there's no other cars besides those two though, and only Firebirds and an odd Mopar in the mix at times.

Uh, have you not seen the ZL1 Camaro? That thing is a straight punch to Ford's gut.

J-Rzez

I'd take a ZL1 or ZR1 over any of Ford's responses, even though I usually like Ford over Chevy. Chevy is doing everything right when it comes to performance cars.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I really like the Camaro despite it's glaring flaws, but I can't deny that Ford has the edge with the Mustang outside of the exterior looks department.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I really like the Camaro despite it's glaring flaws, but I can't deny that Ford has the edge with the Mustang outside of the exterior looks department.

Camaro is an ugly piece of shit, the Mustang looks better but is also undesirable.

However, the ZR1 stomps anything Ford has. Z06 and ZR1 are godly.

Uhh, have you not seen Ford's response to that before the ZL1 hit the showroom floors?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/17/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-looks-angry-wants-out/

that car is really nice looking to me. but I have no practical use for 650HP, so I can't imagine paying for it.

amazing car for Mustang enthusiasts, though. I wish I liked the look of them a bit more. Just never been a 'Stang fan.

Camaro is an ugly piece of shit, the Mustang looks better but is also undesirable.

I doubt the ZR1 is stomping this GT500. But we'll see soon enough.

FStop7

Banned
Cool, as long as you fix the oil consumption, bad gas mileage, reliability, and lack of torque.

Just slap a twin-scroll turbo on it already and call it a day. It would fix half of those issues.

EDIT:

07-jaguar-c-x16-concept-la-2011.jpg

12-jaguar-c-x16-concept-la-2011.jpg

:eek:

_Dear God_

Bring me this. Now.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
_Dear God_

Bring me this. Now.

My girlfriend and I literally had an argument about which one of us will own this once it comes out. I fucking called dibs and told her I'm trading in my 370Z for this. She gets pissy at me and says "how come you always have to have the cars I want!?" LOL

I'm like "bitch, so trade in your 335i Coupe for this, and we'll rock the same whip and get a hooptie on the side". Hahahaha

Jaguar's new slogan should be "So beautiful, you'll fight over who gets to own it first."

that car is really nice looking to me. but I have no practical use for 650HP, so I can't imagine paying for it.

amazing car for Mustang enthusiasts, though. I wish I liked the look of them a bit more. Just never been a 'Stang fan.

I doubt the ZR1 is stomping this GT500. But we'll see soon enough.

Drive a ZR1. It's... beautiful.

My girlfriend and I literally had an argument about which one of us will own this once it comes out. I fucking called dibs and told her I'm trading in my 370Z for this. She gets pissy at me and says "how come you always have to have the cars I want!?" LOL

I'm like "bitch, so trade in your 335i Coupe for this, and we'll rock the same whip and get a hooptie on the side". Hahahaha

Jaguar's new slogan should be "So beautiful, you'll fight over who gets to own it first."

Wait.

370Z...335i...those are all < $50k, right?

They expect this Jag to come out in that price range? I wasn't aware that any Jag started below $65k or so. Hell, the XK I was looking at was $90k on the sticker (new).

Drive a ZR1. It's... beautiful.

I would expect it to be, visibility notwithstanding.

My point was there's no reason to assume that it will be superior to this new GT500. Not until we see some reviews and comparisons. the ZR1 may indeed be the better car, but at this point there's no reason to automatically believe it true.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Bitch, I'm getting it first. Fuck you and your girlfriend.
Wait.

370Z...335i...those are all < $50k, right?

They expect this Jag to come out in that price range? I wasn't aware that any Jag started below $65k or so. Hell, the XK I was looking at was $90k on the sticker (new).
This one is reportedly their Cayman fighter. It should be in that $60-70k range.

Sort of. It's never as easy as that in real life, is it? But, yes, the C-X16 or XE or whatever we end up calling it will indeed prove an accessible, beautiful sports car, slotting beneath the XK in Jag's burgeioning range.
EDIT: OMG ALPHA:
Happily not much, we hear. Tone down those 21in rims for more manageable 19s (20s will be an option). The concept's eight-speed auto will happen, but you'll be able to order a six-speed stick shift too.
BOUGHT. MY MONEY, HAVE IT.

This one is reportedly their Cayman fighter. It should be in that $60-70k range.

I wonder how much after options...

So this car is just a 2-seater? I wasn't interested in a 2-seater...but goddamn. So much style. The Aston Martin influence is wonderfully apparent. But with actually good reliability.

reilo

I wonder how much after options...

So this car is just a 2-seater? I wasn't interested in a 2-seater...but goddamn. So much style. The Aston Martin influence is wonderfully apparent. But with actually good reliability.
No idea, wouldn't care. A two-seater would be just fine by me.

I think reports are that it won't come with that assisted electric motor (good) and now I am reading you can order a 6-speed stick, too?

Have it all. My monies. I have found my next car.

No idea, wouldn't care. A two-seater would be just fine by me.

I think reports are that it won't come with that assisted electric motor (good) and now I am reading you can order a 6-speed stick, too?

Have it all. My monies. I have found my next car.

WE have found OUR next car.

But you can get the first one. :)

reilo

WE have found OUR next car.

But you can get the first one. :)
I call dibs on blue.

Although white looks hot, too. Meh, who gives a shit? This car looks awesome no matter the color. I'd buy it in fucking pink.

Jaguar-C-X16-Concept-studio-shifter.jpg

Jaguar-C-X16-Concept-interior.jpg

datinterior unf

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So about my FJ Cruiser Exhaust...

High clearance exhaust in the rear. helps when off roading. no worrying about crushing your exhaust pipe on a rock.
ibix6mRT41acgp.JPG

pretty much invisible until you look under...
ip8KcovjC3RKi.JPG

comparison to stock exhaust
07_fj_cruiser61.jpg

or this image

Basically that is connected to an Electric Cutout. Old hot rods used to call them "dumpers" or "dump tubes". They were manual with some sort of metal rod, or always open. They make electric ones now. So to make my truck to sound more like a truck, I welded one on (before the cat) for the hell of it. Wired it to my center console. The benefits of this vs. a TRD exhaust setup is that you can turn it off whenever you like. No annoying road trips.

As promised just tried to capture some video of my exhaust, it got dark so I just went for the audio. Would of been better but it's kind of hard to drive and take video from outside the car. So I just sat the camera down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOYxGpdRIA
First rev is from the high clearance pipe. Second, from the EEC

Here is where I drilled the switch for it. Top switch is for my DRL.
iLy7nEAL0Eluq.JPG

ignore the spare wire on the passenger floor

J-Rzez

But now we're going Corvette vs. Mustang which is pretty unfair to the Mustang, unlike the Camaro which is a direct competitor. Now, if Ford brought back out the GT again, then there would maybe be a GT vs ZR1 battle.

I call dibs on blue.

Although white looks hot, too. Meh, who gives a shit? This car looks awesome no matter the color. I'd buy it in fucking pink.

Jaguar-C-X16-Concept-studio-shifter.jpg

Jaguar-C-X16-Concept-interior.jpg

datinterior unf

I'm trying to figure out what the fuck is up with that handle/grip thing going up the passenger side of the center console?

that's a travesty of usability. it looks like it's going to inhibit good access to buttons for passengers, and be useless in general.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm trying to figure out what the fuck is up with that handle/grip thing going up the passenger side of the center console?

that's a travesty of usability. it looks like it's going to inhibit good access to buttons for passengers, and be useless in general.
Its a luxury 'oh shiiiiit' handle.

Anyway your hands would be nowhere near there. You'd have. To lean forward for it to intrude rather than funnel.

But now we're going Corvette vs. Mustang which is pretty unfair to the Mustang, unlike the Camaro which is a direct competitor. Now, if Ford brought back out the GT again, then there would maybe be a GT vs ZR1 battle.

Tbh if I were in that price-range, I'd rather a used Z06 than a GT or a GT500. The depreciation on those is probably pretty killer.

J-Rzez

Tbh if I were in that price-range, I'd rather a used Z06 than a GT or a GT500. The depreciation on those is probably pretty killer.

Well if we're getting into the class of those cars, I'd buy a GT-R, no questions asked. Performance is comparative, and the interior in a GT-R feels like a Bentley compared to the Fisher Price swathed interiors featured in GM cars. :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I get that they are supposed to be "bigger" cars, but they seem to be following the same trend as everyone else, growing bigger every year/model.

It sounds like you want the Challenger to be the Mustang. The Mustang is already what you're asking the Challenger to do and I don't see the purpose in that at all, really.

Well if we're getting into the class of those cars, I'd buy a GT-R, no questions asked. Performance is comparative, and the interior in a GT-R feels like a Bentley compared to the Fisher Price swathed interiors featured in GM cars. :)
I'm not really sure those are really the same price range, but I don't really understand what Chevy's rationale is for making the interior of the Vette evocative of a regular old passenger car. It's a 60,000 dollar sports car in any case.

J-Rzez

I'm not really sure those are really the same price range, but I don't really understand what Chevy's rationale is for making the interior of the Vette evocative of a regular old passenger car. It's a 60,000 dollar sports car in any case.

A Z06 and certainly the ZR-1 are in GT-R pricing territory, they're in the same class as well in my book. My buddy unloaded his Vette (standard variety) due to the interior and build quality. I understand GM wants to cut corners, but to the extent they do is ridiculous. I just don't think they can make a quality interior feel and environment, as even Caddies are lacking.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
EDIT: OMG ALPHA:

BOUGHT. MY MONEY, HAVE IT.

SweetJesus.gif.

Hold me, Reilo. Hold me like you've never held me before! I'm...I'm teary eyed. Please make it happen, Jaguar. I WILL own this car once it arrives - mark my words.

A Z06 and certainly the ZR-1 are in GT-R pricing territory, they're in the same class as well in my book. My buddy unloaded his Vette (standard variety) due to the interior and build quality. I understand GM wants to cut corners, but to the extent they do is ridiculous. I just don't think they can make a quality interior feel and environment, as even Caddies are lacking.

Ok, from this comment I know you haven't sat in a recent C6 Vette, let alone a ZR1. Interior quality is much improved from years past and that line of arguing is tired and rehashed, and inaccurate at this point. You're buying a Vette, if you want ho-hum performance and a snazzy interior, go buy an Audi S5.

Uh, I'm talking about drivers' cars here, not cars that do all the driving for you. If you want to talk about Fisher Price and toys, the GTR is certainly a toy compared to a Vette or a 911: automated, dumbed down, and minimal skill pre-requisites to drive. Sounds like you'd have a blast.

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp I asked a (car) friend what he thought about the Genesis. Said he really liked it but when he test drove one it was terrible.

Time for a new feasible dream.

Welp I asked a (car) friend what he thought about the Genesis. Said he really liked it but when he test drove one it was terrible.

Time for a new feasible dream.

It's nice in theory, but the handling/suspension really isn't quit there yet. Hyundai has some work to do.

There's lots of other awesome cars though, what's your budget? And desires? RWD sports coupe?

AcridMeat

Banned
It's nice in theory, but the handling/suspension really isn't quit there yet. Hyundai has some work to do.

There's lots of other awesome cars though, what's your budget? And desires? RWD sports coupe?
It looks so nice on paper, hopefully they'll be able to fix the issues present. I've just been looking at possibilities for the near future, when
if
I find a job. So really it's not serious, I just like to fantasize. It would be second hand anyway. I had been looking at the Fiesta for a while as an actual feasible car now but I haven't had a chance to drive one yet.

I do quite like my RWD. I've been driving older cars (at least 13-15 years) all my life. I've got an affinity for them, so I'm also not opposed to finding something I like that's older. Maybe I'll try to find a nice original M5.

It looks so nice on paper, hopefully they'll be able to fix the issues present. I've just been looking at possibilities for the near future, when
if
I find a job. So really it's not serious, I just like to fantasize. It would be second hand anyway. I had been looking at the Fiesta for a while as an actual feasible car now but I haven't had a chance to drive one yet.

I do quite like my RWD. I've been driving older cars (at least 13-15 years) all my life. I've got an affinity for them, so I'm also not opposed to finding something I like that's older. Maybe I'll try to find a nice original M5.

You mean the classic E28 M5? They're rare, but very awesome, and cheap to work on if I remember correctly. I think they're even rarer than the E30 M3, not sure.

I've only ever seen one, and that was in a nice section of houses near Hollywood. Was mint too. Across the street was a guy who had a Ford GT sitting outside, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ok, from this comment I know you haven't sat in a recent C6 Vette, let alone a ZR1. Interior quality is much improved from years past and that line of arguing is tired and rehashed, and inaccurate at this point. You're buying a Vette, if you want ho-hum performance and a snazzy interior, go buy an Audi S5.

Uh, I'm talking about drivers' cars here, not cars that do all the driving for you. If you want to talk about Fisher Price and toys, the GTR is certainly a toy compared to a Vette or a 911: automated, dumbed down, and minimal skill pre-requisites to drive. Sounds like you'd have a blast.
idk man, I've sat in a C6 and it's pretty utilitarian for its price range unless they really changed it in the last couple years.

I'm actually kind of surprised they let the C6 go for 7+ years without even getting more than just drawings of the C7 - Jalopnik is saying that render is the 2014 model too (unless they're pulling a Ford and putting their model years way ahead, that's still 2 years off) and Chevy is full on denying it's the real car.

AcridMeat

Banned
You mean the classic E28 M5? They're rare, but very awesome, and cheap to work on if I remember correctly. I think they're even rarer than the E30 M3, not sure.

I've only ever seen one, and that was in a nice section of houses near Hollywood. Was mint too. Across the street was a guy who had a Ford GT sitting outside, lol.
When I was looking for a car last year I found one around here that would have needed a lot of work, but damn do I wish I bought it. I love that every single one is black, at least in the US. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an E30 M3, but that M5 is something else.

TomServo

Cool, as long as you fix the oil consumption, bad gas mileage, reliability, and lack of torque.

Just slap a twin-scroll turbo on it already and call it a day. It would fix half of those issues.

Sorry, I just saw this in another quote...

Putting a turbo on a rotary isn't going to fix any of those "issues". Oil consumption is by design, forced induction on these engines can put them into the single digit mpg range, and torque is always going to be down compared to any car putting down similar RWHP numbers.

As for reliability:

rotoboost23.jpg

If Mazda is to be criticized for anything on the Renesis, it's the port design - a few years in the aftermarket and tuners already get significant power increases and better fuel consumption with mild porting. On yeah, and crappy underspecced stock ignition coils.

Viperbah

The corvette's interior is not that bad, but it's not that good either. Certainly a lot better than a C5. You should see the vipers, it's terrible.

Some GM cars have decent interiors thou, it just has to come from Australia, haha (GTO and G8)

GT-R's are nice, just not a drivers car IMO.

reilo

SweetJesus.gif.

Hold me, Reilo. Hold me like you've never held me before! I'm...I'm teary eyed. Please make it happen, Jaguar. I WILL own this car once it arrives - mark my words.
When is this supposed to go into production? 2013?

J-Rzez

Like I said, my best friend had a C6 standard affair vette with the Z51 (?) suspension package. It's interior is still sub-par for these times, is it the same feeling interior from a similar year Blazer, no, but it still feels like a fisher price item for these times.

As far as judging my tastes to drive and skills, please, don't get all butt-hurt. I still have my Evo 8 because it doesn't have the fully computerized wizardry that the current Evos have. The steering especially turned me off with them, thus I haven't bought one, and I'm waiting on a few other cars to see if I want to jump into them finally as I'm getting tired of my car. The latest cars I recently entertained buying were a used Exige and a new Boss. I loved the Exige, but wasn't thrilled by the lack of space for my frame after some more seat time. Now I'm waiting on the new Boss, as I liked the 1970 model it retros more, and I wouldn't mind the upgraded interior features.

And, one can slant the GT-R for it sorting out the work for you, but one can not deny it's an incredibly capable car. The interior is superior in it compared to the Vettes, and while subjective, I think it's a sexier looking car, that's all.

Angry Grimace

Like I said, my best friend had a C6 standard affair vette with the Z51 (?) suspension package. It's interior is still sub-par for these times, is it the same feeling interior from a similar year Blazer, no, but it still feels like a fisher price item for these times.

As far as judging my tastes to drive and skills, please, don't get all butt-hurt. I still have my Evo 8 because it doesn't have the fully computerized wizardry that the current Evos have. The steering especially turned me off with them, thus I haven't bought one, and I'm waiting on a few other cars to see if I want to jump into them finally as I'm getting tired of my car. The latest cars I recently entertained buying were a used Exige and a new Boss. I loved the Exige, but wasn't thrilled by the lack of space for my frame after some more seat time. Now I'm waiting on the new Boss, as I liked the 1970 model it retros more, and I wouldn't mind the upgraded interior features.

And, one can slant the GT-R for it sorting out the work for you, but one can not deny it's an incredibly capable car. The interior is superior in it compared to the Vettes, and while subjective, I think it's a sexier looking car, that's all.

Good luck finding a Boss for less than $50,000. If you live in any kind of major metropolis, basically every dealer has gone nuts with "market adjustments."

Good luck finding a Boss for less than $50,000. If you live in any kind of major metropolis, basically every dealer has gone nuts with "market adjustments."

Reminds me of the time a guy I worked with went to look at a Shelby GT500, I think it was in 2009, and the dealership had marked the price up to around $80,000 from the MSRP of $50,000 or so. He just laughed at them for thinking he'd buy a Mustang for the same price as a Z06.

Stinkles

Reminds me of the time a guy I worked with went to look at a Shelby GT500, I think it was in 2009, and the dealership had marked the price up to around $80,000 from the MSRP of $50,000 or so. He just laughed at them for thinking he'd buy a Mustang for the same price as a Z06.

Or an immaculate, lightly used Ferrari.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Wait wat? I feel like this may be for the "discuss American quirks" thread.

Is normal behaviour among dealers to hike prices by themselves just because a car is highly sought? Over here any difference over &#8364;3000 on a similarly priced vehicle would raise some serious eyebrows. Dealers basically compete with each other increasing the extras while keeping the MSRP. If they dare to go &#8364;1 above the suggested price without throwing at least some extra floormats, you can just walk into another dealer and get a better offer.

Stinkles

Wait wat? I feel like this may be for the "discuss American quirks" thread.

Is normal behaviour among dealers to hike prices by themselves just because a car is highly sought? Over here any difference over €3000 on a similarly priced vehicle would raise some serious eyebrows. Dealers basically compete with each other increasing the extras while keeping the MSRP. If they dare to go €1 above the suggested price without throwing at least some extra floormats, you can just walk into another dealer and get a better offer.

They also collude with each other to keep new and used prices high. They (dealers) are also among the most powerful lobbyists at State and local levels and for this reason, you CANNOT buy a new car easily in the US. You MUST go to a dealer and talk to a fucking idiot who will try to rip you off. It's one of our worst traditions. Several companies have tried to sell direct (imagine ordering a car online and having BMW deliver it to your door as specced?) but networks of dealers crush any such thinking at a Congressional level.

It is a massive, massive scam and another example of the American consumer being shafted in favor of the coproration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom