• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Although I'm not gonna be in the market for a car for at least 3 years, I'm starting to just do some window shopping to see what kind of car would suit my needs and desires. I'm looking for something that's an AWD turbocharged 4-cyl so I've been looking at the Impreza 2.5GT and the spec sheet says it requires 91 octane. Now is premium really necessary? I know it'll prevent knocking and if anything, it won't hurt, but is really four points in octane really gonna do shit?

jdccb

For the guy asking about accord sedan vs. coupe I have a polished metal 08 accord coupe.

The car moves very well for a more family-oriented car. I thought the sedan felt cavernous and gigantic, which is why I started to look into the coupe. I like the look and driving feel of the coupe far more. I've read that the auto's are a good bit lazier than the manual's when it comes to the 4 cylinder. So if you're looking for some reasonable perforamnce from a 4, go for the stick, or get a 6 (much more zoom than you'd think). But the car's been very reliable so far (35,000 miles, yea, seriously, I drive too much).

Also, for those hating on the Porsche Sedan's design. I actually drove by a fleet of them wondering through the Arizona dessert on the way from Yuma to San Diego. They looked MUCH better in person than they have in any picture I've seen.

Zyzyxxz

Phobophile said:
Although I'm not gonna be in the market for a car for at least 3 years, I'm starting to just do some window shopping to see what kind of car would suit my needs and desires. I'm looking for something that's an AWD turbocharged 4-cyl so I've been looking at the Impreza 2.5GT and the spec sheet says it requires 91 octane. Now is premium really necessary? I know it'll prevent knocking and if anything, it won't hurt, but is really four points in octane really gonna do shit?

turbo cars - require 91 AT LEAST!

Truth be told most enthusiasts would recommend you to run 93 or higher.

Here is the thing, maybe once a while if you use 87 it wont do shit but particulate buildup or damage over time can really add up.

The premium you spend on premium will more than likely prevent any damages that would cancel out all savings on using a lower octane rating.

Zyzyxxz

a rendering by CAR magazine of what the Ferrari F142 (F430 replacement) may look like.

Looks interesting, but I don't think Ferrari would do this.

1Ferrari-Modena-III-F430-NF-.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
a rendering by CAR magazine of what the Ferrari F142 (F430 replacement) may look like.

Looks interesting, but I don't think Ferrari would do this.

1Ferrari-Modena-III-F430-NF-.jpg

It's actually been spotted without camo:

308fvxj.jpg

A photo-illustration of the final car, which will probably debut in the fall:

2mepzfa.jpg

I'd say it definitely has potential. Most of their current model range looks too fussy to me, and the California is just plain lame. A goddamn Lexus badge wouldn't look out of place on its nose.

The 355 is still the best-looking fairly contemporary Ferrari to me. They could put that design back into production, call it a day, and it'd be all right with me.

Zyzyxxz

Spaceman Spiff said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2mepzfa.jpg

I'd say it definitely has potential. Most of their current model range looks too fussy to me, and the California is just plain lame. A goddamn Lexus badge wouldn't look out of place on its nose.

The 355 is still the best-looking fairly contemporary Ferrari to me. They could put that design back into production, call it a day, and it'd be all right with me.

yeah that render looks much better.

Now that you mention it the California does look like an ugly POS Lexus. I remember being at the LA Auto Show and the Ferrari California was there, it looked just as bad in person as it did in online pictures. Everybody around me was going, OMG IT LOOKS SO KEWL!

Sure it's their opinion but they probably were too stunned seeing a Ferrari too.

Zyzyxxz

Got the chance to drive one of these today:

porschecayenne.jpg

Not as cool as I thought it'd be, it was so tame. Probably because it was the base model w/ only a 290hp, V6.

M.Bluth

Who's the idiot that designed the new E-class?

Look at this, you've got an awesome looking car on the front:

e550coupe1.jpg

than you got fucking Hyundai Sonata on the back:

e550coupe2.jpg

jey_16

Banned
the back of that E-Class looks like something a Chinese car company would come up with when trying to copy Mercedes :lol

Limedust

sonarrat said:
So maintenance. What are your preferences? Dealer, garage, DIY? My dad swears by the cost savings of doing it himself, but I like having some kind of service records for the sake of resale value. Plus I don't like blowing an entire day every 6 months to go get the oil and filter, drive the car up on your ramps, and drain the oil yourself. I go to a well-regarded small local garage because the Ford dealers in the Bay Area are ass.

sonarrat said:
I was unfortunate enough to be at my parents' house when dad was trying to change the oil in his RX-8. He spent half an hour scraping his knuckles trying to get the filter cap off, then went to get a cap wrench. Got back and it didn't fit, so he had to go back and get a different size one.. and he still scraped his knuckles to hell. I have a Ford Fusion and it also has that annoying cap, so same issue. These are the tools you need to change the oil in my car:

Oil Filter "F" type cap wrench

Ratchet

12" extension

3/8" flex joint

19mm socket (oil pan)

Jack

Oil pan

I'll just take it to a garage and have it full of Mobil 1 $60 later, thanks (mostly the oil, that stuff's expensive)

Doing the initial DIY oil change is a pain in the butt. You have to buy the necessary tools, you will spend way too much time actually getting the oil and filter changed, and you will probably make a mess in the process.

But after that, it becomes far cheaper and quicker than paying somebody else to do it because you get good at it, and I certainly trust myself to do a good job more than most lube station garage flunkies. Stores like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts always have a DIY oil change special where you can get 5 quarts of conventional oil and a filter for about $15. Right now, Advance Auto is running a special of 5 quarts of Penzoil Platinum (one of the best synthetics and a favorite at the BITOG forums) and a Mobile One oil filter for $25 through May 27th.

It goes beyond that, though. You won't find a garage that charges less than $80 an hour for labor, and there are a lot of maintenance and minor repairs that you can do yourself for far less.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my car ('04 Corolla) got totaled a little while back, so I'm in the market for something new. I've been trying all sorts of stuff around town, though I'm having a bit of trouble deciding.

Anybody have ideas on what the best used car for under about $15,000 would be? I started off just looking at more Corollas and Civics, though something in hatchback would be ideal. There's a pretty nice '07 Civic (certified used) for about $15,600 that I like, and I know Civics are good, but I also ran across an '06 Subaru Impreza Hatch that was only about $12,800 or so. Unfortunately, I don't know as much about Subaru as I do about Honda; how are they used? This one is in good condition, only about 30k miles on it. Also going to try out a Fusion in the next couple of days, hopefully.

I'm also thinking about kicking up into the low 20s and getting something nicer, maybe an Audi or Infiniti; I can definitely afford it, but I've never really been a car person so I only really looked at commuter vehicles before.

Monroeski said:
Well, my car ('04 Corolla) got totaled a little while back, so I'm in the market for something new. I've been trying all sorts of stuff around town, though I'm having a bit of trouble deciding.

Anybody have ideas on what the best used car for under about $15,000 would be? I started off just looking at more Corollas and Civics, though something in hatchback would be ideal. There's a pretty nice '07 Civic (certified used) for about $15,600 that I like, and I know Civics are good, but I also ran across an '06 Subaru Impreza Hatch that was only about $12,800 or so. Unfortunately, I don't know as much about Subaru as I do about Honda; how are they used? This one is in good condition, only about 30k miles on it. Also going to try out a Fusion in the next couple of days, hopefully.

I'm also thinking about kicking up into the low 20s and getting something nicer, maybe an Audi or Infiniti; I can definitely afford it, but I've never really been a car person so I only really looked at commuter vehicles before.

Mazda3 hatchback. End of search. Actually, the VW rabbit is nice too if you want a little german luxury and refinement(also, very safe). The mazda3 is a little more fun to drive though.

Zyzyxxz

Monroeski said:

As suggested I'd go with the Mazda 3 wagon, really great car overall!

Used subarus may cost a bit to maintain as the years go on since All-wheel drive cars tend to be less reliable, get worser mileage, and transmission problems are more costly.

If you want to look at Audi's look at the A3 model, its about the same size of a Golf, uses the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine from the A4 I believe and the 06 models can be had for under $15, but you can get an 08 model for just under $20K.

audi-a3-final-01.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the Mazda3 Hatchbacks, but I have a bit of trouble getting into/out of them. I'm looking for another one to test drive near here, but it's not easy, most of the ones around have some glaring flaw (tons of miles, overall kind of grimy, etc.).

I would definitely go for one if it wasn't such a hassle getting into and out of the driver's seat, though. I'm definitely on the lookout for another one to test to see if it's really as bad as I remember.

mike23

My current car's inspection is up and I'm pretty sure that it won't pass without a significant amount of work, so I figure I'll just get a new one. I'm looking for some tips on what kind of car to buy. The max that I can afford is probably 16k, although spending less is definitely attractive. I'm torn between getting a brand new car or buying a used car off the lot.

Here's a list of cars that I've taken a look at so far. I'll probably start test driving some time this week.

- '10 Mazda3 sedan - I can get a reasonable build for around 16k, but the silly grin turns me off of it a little. Probably less noticeable with black paint.

- '09 Accent hatchback - The main attraction here is that I can get a brand new car with plenty of features for ~12.2 and have minimal car payments.

- '09 Elantra - around 15k for a reasonable build

- '05 Tiburon - I can probably get one of these for ~12 but it'll have 50k miles on it.

A new Lancer might also be in play.

Any thoughts?

Aske

Does anyone know if the weak air conditioner in early Mazda 3 models was ever fixed? I know it was an issue for early to mid 200X cars, but I can't find anything that confirms or denies the problem on 2007+ models. I'm probably going to buy a 2009 hatchback, but weak A/C would be a deal breaker.

iidesuyo

Has anyone of you ever been to Autostadt in Wolfsburg? It's like car theme park next to the VW factories, with some of the Volkswagen brands (VW, Audi, Lamborghini, Skoda, Bentley, Seat) having their own pavillons, offroad parcour etc. It's free for those who fetch a new car.

I was there in 2004, very impressive. And they have a shitton of historical and concept cars around (not only VW brands).

Autostadt600_600.jpg

Germany__Bild__Autostadt__in__Wolfsburg,property=BildDaten.jpg

Autostadt%20Displays-15.jpg

zeith_l_4.jpg

autostadt_2.jpg

0,1020,1355721,00.jpg

MVWFS_1.jpg

autostadt2.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_Audi%20%20in%20der%20Autostadt%20Wolfsburg%206.jpg

59344607_1f577016db.jpg

Auto-Automobile-Autostadt-Kuriositaeten-Museum-Touarek-Ketten-510x510.jpg

Zyzyxxz

mike23 said:
My current car's inspection is up and I'm pretty sure that it won't pass without a significant amount of work, so I figure I'll just get a new one. I'm looking for some tips on what kind of car to buy. The max that I can afford is probably 16k, although spending less is definitely attractive. I'm torn between getting a brand new car or buying a used car off the lot.

Here's a list of cars that I've taken a look at so far. I'll probably start test driving some time this week.

- '10 Mazda3 sedan - I can get a reasonable build for around 16k, but the silly grin turns me off of it a little. Probably less noticeable with black paint.

- '09 Accent hatchback - The main attraction here is that I can get a brand new car with plenty of features for ~12.2 and have minimal car payments.

- '09 Elantra - around 15k for a reasonable build

- '05 Tiburon - I can probably get one of these for ~12 but it'll have 50k miles on it.

A new Lancer might also be in play.

Any thoughts?

Mazda 3 sells like gangbusters for a reason and I really dig it,

Accent isn't bad, I think any Kia is great but resale value really sucks on them so if you plan to drive them to the ground go for it.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Mini Coupe Concept
73orkm.jpg

I'm lovin this car.

it's an interesting look that doesn't deviate too much from Mini's styling. So it's basically gonna be a roadster right?

In other news I just found out the S2000 had already stopped production in August...

So sad R.I.P. one of the last true affordable sports cars.

Mobius 1

Phobophile said:

Yes, it does make a difference. If you feed it lower octane rating fuel, you might end up with detonation, which will lower the lifespan of the engine. Honestly, is the price difference that much in your area that it would influence you against buying the car? That's something you can easily offset by just not spending /spending less on something small like Starbucks / random shit from eBay, etc.

The STI drinks 93 octane petrol, and now I vowed not to drink Starbucks anymore. I rather feed the beast.

comrade

Juice said:
What are GAF's thoughts on the new Taurus? It looks pretty damn awesome in the marketing collateral.
I drove the Taurus SHO at work. Things a beast. Pricey though. I'd rather get a Roush Mustang.

Zyzyxxz

Juice said:
What are GAF's thoughts on the new Taurus? It looks pretty damn awesome in the marketing collateral.

if you want a fast 4-door salon that is reasonably reliable and low-cost to maintain not bad but why not just get a Ford Fusion V6?

sk3

Banned
Why does the mini coupe exist? Mini doesn't usually put out concepts unless they are 95% sure they are going to build it so this thing is probably ready to go. But why?

Are there really people out there that like the Mini performance, interior (blargh), but wish it had less room inside and no backseat? Doesn't make much sense to me. It's not better looking.

Zyzyxxz

sk3 said:
Why does the mini coupe exist? Mini doesn't usually put out concepts unless they are 95% sure they are going to build it so this thing is probably ready to go. But why?

Are there really people out there that like the Mini performance, interior (blargh), but wish it had less room inside and no backseat? Doesn't make much sense to me. It's not better looking.

Sloping roofline is suppose to = sexy?

Who knows people will buy anything small and "cute" if packaged right.

Juice

Zyzyxxz said:
if you want a fast 4-door salon that is reasonably reliable and low-cost to maintain not bad but why not just get a Ford Fusion V6?

Yeah, I think the 10 is great looking, but for the price I'd rather have a Fusion hybrid.

Zyzyxxz

Juice said:
Yeah, I think the 10 is great looking, but for the price I'd rather have a Fusion hybrid.

If I upgrade my car here my target list:

Ford Fusion Hybrid
Hyundai Genesis
2011 Hyundai Sonata fully loaded

I guess it's weird to put a V6 luxury car there but if you've ever sat in one you know its way better than buying a G37, which competes in its price class, but actually competes with the M37.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
tarius1210 said:
Mini Coupe Concept
73orkm.jpg

I'm lovin this car.
From what I hear, the Mini Coupe was given the greenlight for production, along with the long-rumored Speedster model. The Speedster will debut at Frankfurt alongside the Coupe, I'm told.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I've been looking hard at an M3 for a while...but the new Camaro has been calling to me recently. I don't know how this happened, but man, it looks fantastic to me.

2010_chevy_camaro_ss_official.jpg

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:

man that is so sweet!

In other news McLaren has a reason to become known again:

web630-mclarenp112.jpg

All carbon fiber construction and some new tech that certainly gets my attention like the Pre-Cog transmission. If what I understand is correct you can rev up the next gear before you shift so that you end up launching straight out of the next gear!

Sounds pretty exciting and is priced close to a Ferrari 458, I will be interested to see how they compete!

Also the Mercedes SLS gullwing looks hot! Perfect balance of modern and classic car look. Plus it has gullwing doors!

04-2010-sls-amg-leakage.jpg

Gavarms

Posted by SubZero in the Motorsport Thread but it definitely qualifies for posting here:

subzero9285 said:
This isn't really motorsport related but I thought I'd share it with the readers of this thread.

Most beautiful Ferraris of all time, by Marcel Massini, to coincide with the Enzo Ferrari documentary on the Biography channel.

Source

Ferrari_Slide01_Intro_Slide.jpg

Ferrari_Slide02.jpg

15. 375 Plus Cabriolet (1954)

According to Marcel Massini this car ranks #15 because it is “One-off for King Leopold of Belgium and has a huge motor.”

Estimated Value: $10,000,000
Units Built: 1

Ferrari_Slide03.jpg

14. 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta (1967)

Marcel Massini considers the 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta “the poor man's 250 GTO but a 1960s classic.”

Estimated Value: $900,000
Units Built: 330

Ferrari_Slide04.jpg

13. 250 Testa Rossa Spider (1959)

Massini says it has “fantastic looks and (is) a very successful racer.”

Estimated Value: $15,000,000
Units Built: 4

Ferrari_Slide05.jpg

12. 250 GT Cabriolet Series 1 (1957)

The 1957 250 GT Cabriolet Series 1 ranks #12 because it is “scarce (36 units), very elegant, clean and simple lines.”

Estimated Value: $3,000,000
Units Built: 36

Ferrari_Slide06.jpg

11. 330 P4 Berlinetta (1967)

Massini considers this Berlinetta #11 in ranking: “sensuous lines, highly successful racer, and very rare.”

Estimated Value: $30,000,000
Units Built: 3

Ferrari_Slide07.jpg

10. 250 GT Lusso Berlinetta (1963)

The 1963 250 GT Lusso Berlinetta is “extremely elegant and the women love it.” Massini’s personal preference is blue or gunmetal in this car.

Estimated Value: $500,000
Units Built: 350

Ferrari_Slide08.jpg

9. 365 GTB/4 “Daytona” Berlinetta (1968)

“Iconic design, brutal and heavy but superfast” are the characters that make The 1968 365 GTB/4 “Daytona” Berlinetta rank #9. “The 365 GTB/4 was nicknamed by journalists as the Daytona, in honor of Ferraris win at the February 1967 win of the 24 hour race of Daytona Beach, FL” This car must be yellow, according to Marcel Massini.

Estimated Value: $350,000
Units Built: 1,383

Ferrari_Slide09.jpg

8. Enzo (2003)

The 2003 Enzo is “super exotic and truly extreme, it is named after the company founder. The best color for the Enzo is gunmetal grey.”

Estimated Value: $1,300,000
Units Built: 400

Ferrari_Slide10.jpg

7. 250 GT SWB Berlinetta (1961)

“Perfect and harmonious styling, a design icon, must be dark blue or silver grey.”

Estimated Value: $3-$6 Million
Units Built: 165

Ferrari_Slide11.jpg

6. 206 Dino GT (1968)

In Massini’s opinion “the Dino 206 GT has sensuous lines and curves, it must be dark green or silver grey.”

Estimated Value: $300,000
Units Built: 150

Ferrari_Slide12.jpg

5. 166 MM Barchetta (1949)

This 1949 Barchetta has “landmark design, it’s the classic early Ferrari, and must be red.”

Estimated Value: $5,000,000
Units Built: 25

Ferrari_Slide13.jpg

4. 250 Mille Miglia Berlinetta (1953)

Massini believes the 250 Mille Miglia Berlinetta is “the classic 3 liter race car of the early 50s, must be blue metallic.”

Estimated Value: $3,000,000
Units Built: 18

Ferrari_Slide14.jpg

3. 250 LM Berlinetta (1964)

The LM Berlinetta 250 ranks #3 because it is the “the last Ferrari winning grueling Le Mans 24 hour race in 1965.”

Estimated Value: $8,000,000
Units Built: 32

Ferrari_Slide15.jpg

2. 250 GTO Series Two (1964)

This GTO’s “aggressive look, long front, short rear, extreme success” is what makes this car rank #2 as Ferraris most beautiful cars in Massini’s eyes.

Estimated Value: $30,000,000
Units Built: 7

Ferrari_Slide16.jpg

1. 375 Mille Miglia Spider - Chassis #0286 AM only (1953)

This Spider is considered Massini’s most beautiful Ferrari because of it’s “super brutal and aggressive design, one-off and sensational detail.”

Estimated Value: $12,000,000
Units Built: 1

For US viewers:
Biography on CNBC
Enzo Ferrari
Thursday, October 1st 10p ET

I have checked and there is no listing yet of when it will be shown in the UK. It is coming though:
http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/332:262/1/Enzo_Ferrari.htm

Zyzyxxz

Damn so is anybody considering buying a Mercedes SLS?

I think I will after I win the lottery next week.

Forget vertical doors its all about gullwings!

Mercedes_SLS_AMG_Gullwing_01.jpg

eurp_0909_07_z+mercedes_sls_amg_gullwing+red_side_view.jpg

eurp_0909_08_z+mercedes_sls_amg_gullwing+red_front_open_doors.jpg

It's so stunning and the old school look has been brought into the 21st century very well.

Pein

Banned
just spotted a black Ferrari 599 as I was walking home, drop dead sexy car. first time I've seen one around my neighborhood.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zyzyxxz said:
Damn so is anybody considering buying a Mercedes SLS?
The gullwings are badass but the fucking front end is too goddamn long by about two feet.

NoRéN

Hello. New to this thread and I'm looking for some help. L.A. Car-GAF: anyone know a good place they would recommend for paint jobs and upholstery. Preferrably a place that specializes in classics(pre 1975), however, any good place will do. Not looking to spend alot but also not expenting a Maaco " $299 " paint job.

I know L.A. is a big city so to narrow down, I live in the east side(San Gabriel Valley).

Thanks in advance!

Zabojnik

Pein said:
just spotted a black Ferrari 599 as I was walking home, drop dead sexy car. first time I've seen one around my neighborhood.

I had a close encounter with a Ferrari 430 yesterday. I work at a casino and the guys in charge of parking left me alone with it for 10 minutes or so, free to check it out in detail. No driving, obviously, but still. It's ... amazing. There's nothing more you can say, really. Looking at it closely, letting your hands slide over the curves ... car sex, period.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Saw a Buick Century (I think) try to race a late 90s Mercedes E-Class Brabus. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom