• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Deus Ex Machina said:
How would 18" rims with tire size 235/40R18 look on a '99 Marquis? A friend of mine has a set he's willing to let go. I measured the tire height at 26"
for 235/40/18 it depends on how wide your tire is.

For me I have 17x8 in wheels and I use 225 width tires and its pretty perfect. So iit depends on the wheel width

Zeke

Got a pic of the car from the guy that is selling it, I was pretty happy to see they hadn't put any body kit, neon, spoilers or any other stupid shit on it. Its a bit on the low side but I can live with that. I'm going to try and make a trip out to see it in person and go from there.
34r63nk.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Zeke said:
Got a pic of the car from the guy that is selling it, I was pretty happy to see they hadn't put any body kit, neon, spoilers or any other stupid shit on it. Its a bit on the low side but I can live with that. I'm going to try and make a trip out to see it in person and go from there.
34r63nk.jpg

first of all it looks lowered so ask him what brand springs did he put in there: if he seems shady about it hopefully he didn't cut his springs (a big NO-NO that some retards do).

Make sure to get a carfax also if you are serious about the car.

Zyzyxxz said:
are those the stock wheels?

They look like mini-brabus wheels, in other words they look nice!

Thanks! They aren't the stock wheels, but a stock option upgrade for the 'S' model. I think they look pretty damn sexy!

Salazar

Pterion said:
I must be the only car enthusiast who just doesn't care about old cars. Some of those old ferraris, worth 2-3 millions, wouldn't even get $5000 from me. Tell me I'm not alone, car lovers.

Hmmmm. I prescribe cure by Bugatti.

2cco10y.jpg

Tarazet

Zyzyxxz said:
what a bunch of fucking retards Ford was bringing work back to the USA and they can just go back to Mexico or Canada.

Mexico yes.. the Hermosillo plant is excellent. But the article linked says that costs are higher in Canada than they are in the USA, so that's not a likely candidate for expansion. Also, the chicken tax means that trucks have to be made here in the US of A. But here's the central issue: they don't have the specter of bankruptcy inspiring fear in their union members, and contrary to the competition, their sales are holding up. So, one might ask, why do their union members need to take a cut at all?

Zyzyxxz

Tarazet said:
Mexico yes.. the Hermosillo plant is excellent. But the article linked says that costs are higher in Canada than they are in the USA, so that's not a likely candidate for expansion. Also, the chicken tax means that trucks have to be made here in the US of A. But here's the central issue: they don't have the specter of bankruptcy inspiring fear in their union members, and contrary to the competition, their sales are holding up. So, one might ask, why do their union members need to take a cut at all?

hmm maybe a deadline for a revolving credit line is coming up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fallout-NL said:
:lol

It was already hard to tell an A4 from an A5, now it's impossible.

Maybe for you, Mr. Magoo.

Zyzyxxz said:
what a bunch of fucking retards Ford was bringing work back to the USA and they can just go back to Mexico or Canada.

Apparently they don't have TVs and missed that whole Boeing thing.

Tarazet

Fallout-NL said:
:lol

It was already hard to tell an A4 from an A5, now it's impossible.

Audi and M-B both have way too many models now. It's like they're trying to be GM, only more expensive. Q5? GLK? Mb3VarwR 2.0 KOMPRESSOR?

J-Rzez

Captain Jebus said:
Just to throw it in here, I <3 the new Speed3 :D

3872101081_edfd413917.jpg

Whoever OK'd that grin on the new 3 should be beat with a sack of Florida oranges, and the person the designed it should be beat with a rubber hose. They just took that stereotype of "Japanese cars look like smiling fish" and ran with it. All other angles it has a nice profile, but man, that front end is horrible on the 3. My gf's last gen model is so much nicer looking.

Zyzyxxz

Tarazet said:
Audi and M-B both have way too many models now. It's like they're trying to be GM, only more expensive. Q5? GLK? Mb3VarwR 2.0 KOMPRESSOR?

So does BMW, they are all expanding their lineup so much.

I suppose they'd think diversifying their lineup and segmenting their customers works better than only selling a few models.

After all many of the cars share the same engines and platforms.

Zyzyxxz

It's definitely an improvement over the last one but for me still doesn't beat the looks of the older E39.

The front is great but as you get near the rear things start getting all crunched up and too much is going on.

The front looks really simple yet the rear is so complicated.

Personally I like it but I'd take an Audi A6 over it any day since I prefer simple designs.

twinturbo2 said:
Anybody see the new Ford Focus?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/01/nextgenfordfocus003.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/01/nextgenfordfocus005.jpg[IMG]

:bow Ford :bow2[/QUOTE]

yeah, it had its own thread the other day. it was pretty well-received.

olore

funkmasterb said:
IMG_33871.JPG

Just bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S with only 15k miles on it.
I'm really happy with it so far, been an amazing week!

Nice rims. Looks vaguely like E46 M3 CSL rims

OuterWorldVoice said:
I shoulda bought Ford stock at $2.

They were already doing all the right things.

They are making all the right moves in terms of their cars but time will tell if the cars will actually sell well. I'm willing to bet the corolla and camry continue to outsell the focus even though they are boring pieces of crap.

Zyzyxxz

akachan ningen said:
They are making all the right moves in terms of their cars but time will tell if the cars will actually sell well. I'm willing to bet the corolla and camry continue to outsell the focus even though they are boring pieces of crap.

correction: Boring, reliable, piece of crap!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
akachan ningen said:

But I would still be rich.

Zyzyxxz

Cheeto said:
for serious?

despite what the whole recall thing with the gas pedal and the recalls on their trucks and SUVs their sedans are still the most reliable vehciles on the market.

Zyzyxxz said:
despite what the whole recall thing with the gas pedal and the recalls on their trucks and SUVs their sedans are still the most reliable vehciles on the market.

Look at the newer consumer reports. A lot of companies have better reliability now, with Buick being #1.

Zyzyxxz

akachan ningen said:
Look at the newer consumer reports. A lot of companies have better reliability now, with Buick being #1.

Well either way its not like they are near the bottom like Volkswagen or Landrover

Zabojnik

Well, fuck me, but I finally did it! It took me a year to decide and another year for Alfa to come up with a petrol engine I could get behind, the 1750 TBi @ 200hp. Now it's mine. A 159 sedan in rosso alfa - I was going for nero carbonio (metallic black) at first, but once I saw the red beast the contest was over - complete with the Turismo Internazionale sport pack (lowered suspension, amazing looking 19" wheels, sexy black leather interior). My dream car. Zyzyxxz would also approve, I think. :)

159izbrane01.jpg

159izbrane11.jpg

159ostale19.jpg

159izbrane31.jpg

159izbrane13.jpg

159izbrane18.jpg

The pictures came out ok I think, but they simply can't express the immense road presence this thing has. Sure, the ride is a little on the stiff side, but that was to be expected and you quickly forget about it anyway, once the next curve approaches. You smile, you speed up, you turn, it turns like it's on rails. The Brembo brakes are outstanding. The turbo petrol engine with 320Nm @ 1400rpm, while not brutal, it's everything I expected it to be. Incredibly linear, elastic, powerful and yet affordable.

If I'm not driving it, I'm thinking about driving it. Yeah, I'm in love. Cuore sportivo ftw.

akachan ningen said:
Honda CR-Z

crz-1-1280-01_opt.jpg

Looks like a winner as long as the price is low enough. I mean, if they're trying to channel the old CRX, it better be cheap.

here's the thing. It's a very Attractive car, seems sporty enough. What does Honda stick as a drive train? A mear 105 hp engine with a small electric motor.

What a freakin joke. This car's a failure until they up the HP on that engine.

Zyzyxxz

Zabojnik said:
Well, fuck me, but I finally did it! It took me a year to decide and another year for Alfa to come up with a petrol engine I could get behind, the 1750 TBi @ 200hp. Now it's mine. A 159 sedan in rosso alfa - I was going for nero carbonio (metallic black) at first, but once I saw the red beast the contest was over - complete with the Turismo Internazionale sport pack (lowered suspension, amazing looking 19" wheels, sexy black leather interior). My dream car. Zyzyxxz would also approve, I think. :)

[lots of pics]

If I'm not driving it, I'm thinking about driving it. Yeah, I'm in love. Cuore sportivo ftw.

FUUUUUUUUUUk!

So jealous that you even have the choice of buying one! The 159 is something I would definitely consider if I had the choice! The color is great too, it really brings out the body lines of the car without and matches well. Hopefully Afla will bring it over even if they make its Chrysler (I'll just rebadge it)

The Bookerman said:
here's the thing. It's a very Attractive car, seems sporty enough. What does Honda stick as a drive train? A mear 105 hp engine with a small electric motor.

What a freakin joke. This car's a failure until they up the HP on that engine.

Agreed. Sad state of affairs when Honda don't have a sports car in the lineup.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I'm glad to know this thread exists! I though we were without a general automotive discussion thread.

As an EVO X owner, this made my pants tight

2i7319v.jpg

(JR Motorsport/Sumo Power Garage)

Anyone else heavy into wheel fitment? I loooooooove flush fitment (and demon camber too), nothing completes a car like a good stance.

Some examples;

29ngubl.jpg

wswlco.jpg

t5jdpw.jpg

21nnlm0.jpg

rkx7b4.jpg

2vkjhpc.jpg

ose3ia.jpg

rm1i5t.jpg

209kpeh.jpg

2je8ryt.jpg

wv5q2d.gif

fcuomf.jpg

15h06kk.jpg

2cihhjp.jpg

sbkobk.jpg

1sinwh.jpg

24cwm5j.jpg

24cgmlk.jpg

2s7c9ja.jpg

9gwv13.jpg

jud940.jpg

My EVO X:

316xcw8.jpg

262sltl.jpg

My R32 Skyline (summer project, don't have any good exterior pictures, stupid Canadian winter):

5ufu6q.jpg

Doesn't really belong anywhere, but one of my favorites (Wangan Midnight Live action photoshoot):

2hhf98n.jpg

Couple of buddies;

s3gcv4.jpg

My new favorite thread. :p

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
AlteredBeast said:
I am sorry, but I just don't get the whole wheel-leaning thing. Looks pretty ridiculous to me.

Yeah a lot of people hate tons of negative camber because they think it looks weird or they don't find it functional, but if you're just street driving your car and you like the way it looks I don't see anything wrong with it.

Zabojnik said:
Oh my gawd. You awesome bastard. I can only dream that Marchionne will bring Alfa back to the states (and not rebadge them as Chryslers).

Lovely car. A hearty congrats!

Zabojnik

Zyzyxxz said:
FUUUUUUUUUUk!

So jealous that you even have the choice of buying one! The 159 is something I would definitely consider if I had the choice! The color is great too, it really brings out the body lines of the car without and matches well. Hopefully Afla will bring it over even if they make its Chrysler (I'll just rebadge it)

wonderkins said:
Oh my gawd. You awesome bastard. I can only dream that Marchionne will bring Alfa back to the states (and not rebadge them as Chryslers).

Lovely car. A hearty congrats!

Thanks, you guys. The amazing thing is that the 159 design is almost 5 years old and I still find it to be one of the best looking sedans ever. With the TI specs it's a real head turner. I don't consider myself a particulary vain (or, alternatively, short dicked) person, but man, it's really nice to see people admiring it. :)

To be honest, I'm not optimistic about Marchionne's plans with Alfa. He's been flip-floping a lot lately, around what exactly to do with Alfa Romeo and what its place within the Fiat group should be. And none of it sounds very promising for the aficionados who want Alfa to be the italian equivalent of BMW and Audi. They are calling for Fiat to sell Alfa to Volkswagen (they do in fact seem quite interessted), Honda ... Technology aside, I'm also not digging the new 8C Competizone derived style. It worked GREAT on the 8C, which will probably go down as one of the best looking cars ever made, but on smaller cars ... those front round headlights ... I don't know. The MiTo looks ok I guess, if you're 20 years old and possibly a woman. And I do still have some hope for the incoming Giulietta, which must be getting a GTA version, otherwise a lot of people will be pissed to death. Let's pray that they won't butcher the design for Giulia, the true successor to the 159, and the ever so illusive 169, if they ever decide to actually produce them.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta (the new 147)

large-2010-alfa-romeo-giulietta-02.jpg

alfa-romeo-nuova-giulietta-2010_1.jpg

alfa-giulietta-017.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom