• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterion

I must be the only car enthusiast who just doesn't care about old cars. Some of those old ferraris, worth 2-3 millions, wouldn't even get $5000 from me. Tell me I'm not alone, car lovers.

Pterion said:
I must be the only car enthusiast who just doesn't care about old cars. Some of those old ferraris, worth 2-3 millions, wouldn't even get $5000 from me. Tell me I'm not alone, car lovers.

you are alone.

bionic77

Pterion said:
If I had unlimited money I would probably like to have those old cars and I would see them more as art then anything else.

But as for everyday driving I am 100% with you. I need modern amenities when driving a a car. Even something from the 80s feels like a steaming pile of shit compared to an average car from today.

Pterion

bionic77 said:
If I had unlimited money I would probably like to have those old cars and I would see them more as art then anything else.

But as for everyday driving I am 100% with you. I need modern amenities when driving a a car. Even something from the 80s feels like a steaming pile of shit compared to an average car from today.
Exactly.

NoRéN

bionic77 said:

Yeah. It's all good until you have no AC, have to roll down the windows, have no ABS, and no power steering.

bionic77 said:

Classic cars are not meant to be daily drivers. There is a world of difference. No way I could Daily Drive a car from the 70s. It would beat you to hell.

Classic cars are about appreciating the car for what it is, and the art that it is, and the history that goes with it.

Power Steering is also overrated. Its fo' sisses.

ascii42

YuriLowell said:
Classic cars are not meant to be daily drivers. There is a world of difference. No way I could Daily Drive a car from the 70s. It would beat you to hell.

Classic cars are about appreciating the car for what it is, and the art that it is, and the history that goes with it.

Power Steering is also overrated. Its fo' sisses.
I'm still in college, so I don't quite drive every day, but my car is this 1976 Oldsmobile 98.
n2036832_52139070_2468.jpg

Old luxury cars are a bit different, since they are still comfortable, and more likely to have modern amenities. Mine doesn't have it, but airbags were available, for example.

Well yeah not driving it everyday it can be understood, but if I tried to drive my 74 TR6 everyday, yeah id probably be beat to death in a month from driving 150 miles roundtrip everyday.

The old land-yachts are easy to ride and drive but you will be getting 15mpg average.

ascii42

YuriLowell said:
Well yeah not driving it everyday it can be understood, but if I tried to drive my 74 TR6 everyday, yeah id probably be beat to death in a month from driving 150 miles roundtrip everyday.

The old land-yachts are easy to ride and drive but you will be getting 15mpg average.
Oh yeah, I get around 11-12MPG, but I'm only driving it a couple miles per day when I do drive it. When I get a job, if I have to commute a lot more, I'll definitely buy a new car so I can preserve the Olds.

My first car was a 1986 Cadillac, which at that time was 16 years old. I drove it 60 miles per day to school and back. I can definitely understand not wanting to put 150 miles on a car every day.

Zyzyxxz

NoRéN said:
Hello. New to this thread and I'm looking for some help. L.A. Car-GAF: anyone know a good place they would recommend for paint jobs and upholstery. Preferrably a place that specializes in classics(pre 1975), however, any good place will do. Not looking to spend alot but also not expenting a Maaco " $299 " paint job.

I know L.A. is a big city so to narrow down, I live in the east side(San Gabriel Valley).

Thanks in advance!

http://candccollision.com/index.htm

They do alot of exotics but they aren't gonna charge you the exotic prices.

They do very reasonable quotes and very excellent jobs!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Pterion said:
I agree with you.

With cars from the 1980s. Fucking hideous, like all industrial design from that decade.

Zyzyxxz

Runus said:
I can't wait for them to bring that over to the US. It should come over just about the time I am looking for a new car again too. :D

Maybe they will feel like fucking with us again and decide not to to bring the cool models or trims to the USA.

*sniff*

Poor Scirocco, never had a chance...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Got a rental new Focus while my car is at the dealer getting serviced, and *sigh*, Ford still doesn't quite get it.

The car feels so cheap and uninspired, and the interior is just hideous to look at. I have no idea what they were thinking with some of the design choices. It was just cheap, scratch-happy plastic.

It's a far cry and difference even in the fit and finish of one its direct competitors like the Mazda3 or Honda Civic. And I don't particular find the Civic interior appealing but it's much nicer than what the Focus has.

Runus

YuriLowell said:
Almost all American cars have terrible interiors.

And one of the big reasons I don't buy American. They are improving on the exteriors lately, but interiors still just suck ass.

gaf i want a new car but i dont have the monies :(

I really want either a 750 or an MB cls500. idk about CLS anymore because it seems somewhat effeminate to me. Hopefully in 2-3 years I'll be able to get one
right now I drive a saturn T____T

reilo

bdizzle said:

I really want either a 750 or an MB cls500. idk about CLS anymore because it seems somewhat effeminate to me. Hopefully in 2-3 years I'll be able to get one
It's nice to want things.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zyzyxxz said:
Maybe they will feel like fucking with us again and decide not to to bring the cool models or trims to the USA.

*sniff*

Poor Scirocco, never had a chance...

Yeah we never get any of the cool models. I hope they bring the Focus over soon.

reilo

Turns out my variable valve timing gear was malfunctioning and it is being replaced under warranty.

alterno69

Banned
Fuck i love Audi cars. I've been falling in love with them more and more each day. The thing is right now they so out of my price range it makes me wanna cry.

Zyzyxxz

bdizzle said:

If you have tall friends then the CLS will not be comfortable for them in the backseat... of course you could not give a shit since the car looks like sex and money.

Personally I'd either go for the last generation 7 series or the new one.

The Bangle designed 7-series looks like shit IMO. You can always try to find the last year they produced which was 2001, what a awesome and pimp-ass car.

jossakin.jpg

YuriLowell said:
Almost all American cars have terrible interiors.

The upcoming Fiesta has a nice interior for a 13K car. The Cruze's interior is also nice but it's soooooo ugly. Why does Chevy still insist on making all their sedans look like cheap rental cars?

000_11chevycruze_450op.jpg

Ashhong

anybody with an E46 and a double din aftermarket setup? im going to be installing mine soon and wouldnt mind getting some pointers

Zeke

ok so I know fuck all about imports so help me out here. Talking to a guy selling a 95 civic he's supposed to send me pics of the car this week I hope! He told me it has 2000 SI engine in it 5 speed manual. I don't know how to drive stick so I'm going to be learning on the fly. Really I would just like info on the engine. What am I looking at in terms of performance? No I don't plan on tuning it or doing any of that mess, money is too tight and its fuckin civic. Are these engines pretty reliable are there any known issues I should know of? I'm not really worried about getting ripped off since the guy is a friend of the family.

Zyzyxxz

Zeke said:
ok so I know fuck all about imports so help me out here. Talking to a guy selling a 95 civic he's supposed to send me pics of the car this week I hope! He told me it has 2000 SI engine in it 5 speed manual. I don't know how to drive stick so I'm going to be learning on the fly. Really I would just like info on the engine. What am I looking at in terms of performance? No I don't plan on tuning it or doing any of that mess, money is too tight and its fuckin civic. Are these engines pretty reliable are there any known issues I should know of? I'm not really worried about getting ripped off since the guy is a friend of the family.

It's a very common engine swap for civics. It should be a B16 swap. As with all Honda motors it should be reliable as hell and the motor swaps are considered easy so as long as a competent mechanic did it I wouldn't worry about it.

Pein

Banned
my friend just got a 2ss camaro and its pretty sick. Its pretty damn fast and the V8 sounds great. interior isn't that great but its ok. He bought a yellow one and damn if it doesn't bring attention.

Cheeto

Zyzyxxz said:
It's a very common engine swap for civics. It should be a B16 swap. As with all Honda motors it should be reliable as hell and the motor swaps are considered easy so as long as a competent mechanic did it I wouldn't worry about it.
Or the swap was done for perfomance...in which case he might want to worry about the condition of the car as a daily driver. If he wants a civic for it's reliability, he may be better off finding an old lady selling one.

Zyzyxxz

Cheeto said:
Or the swap was done for perfomance...in which case he might want to worry about the condition of the car as a daily driver. If he wants a civic for it's reliability, he may be better off finding an old lady selling one.

Very true, the owner might have been another one of those Honda-tards who redlined it or possibly even over-revved it while showing off.

Bad_Boy said:
is scion ever going to change the tc? It's been years, time for an upgrade don't you think?

yes very soon I believe but the recession may be having its effects but there have been rumors. If we don't see anything at the next LA Auto Show then who knows.

How would 18" rims with tire size 235/40R18 look on a '99 Marquis? A friend of mine has a set he's willing to let go. I measured the tire height at 26"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I guess nobody likes Buick over here (lol old people etc.), because GM just confirmed the NA launch of the Opel Insignia under the tri-shield guise and nobody made a peep about it.

buick-regal-spy.jpg

Who knows, maybe you'll get the OPC Sports Tourer, too

02-opel-insignia-opc-live.jpg

06-opel-insignia-opc-live.jpg

Hottest. Middle class wagon. Ever.

Funky Papa said:
I guess nobody likes Buick over here (lol old people etc.), because GM just confirmed the NA launch of the Opel Insignia under the tri-shield guise and nobody made a peep about it.

Hottest. Middle class wagon. Ever.

It looks nice but it has to be really heavy. I'd rather have 6 wagon with the V6.
At least I'd know it would be fun to drive too.

2008-mazda6-wagon-rear-profile.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom