• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm guessing the seats were only there since this particular car was driven around the track at that event. Doubt they will come in an actual production-spec version.

The spoiler when viewed from the back actually makes the rear less ugly. I think it's made so high so that it doesn't block the rear-view mirror. I personally prefer the duck lip spoiler that was previously shown in a leak.

Edit:

VdMWG.jpg

Wheels make a massive difference.

h1nch

What's so bad about it?
dunno.gif

059_o.jpg

053_o.jpg

057_o.jpg

054_o.jpg

048_o.jpg

049_o.jpg

067_o.jpg

068_o.jpg

070_o.jpg

The 3 TRD gauges in the middle are only an option by the way:

toyota-gt-86-11_460x0w.jpg

21f4a_2013-Toyota-GT-86-9-450x299.jpg

Its the overall look and shape(s) of the dashboard pieces that ruin it for me. It looks extremely messy to me. I'll admit that in the past few years I've grown to dislike Japanese interior designs (which I consider to be too spaceship-like) so I'm definitely biased there. Also, am I missing something or is there no elbow rest? Its kinda hard to see but it looks like its missing. I'm not a fan of the steering wheel either.

I actually get a bit of a MINI cooper vibe from the passenger side, but it seems less cool to me for some reason.

I do like the gauges though. The shape and orientation remind me a lot of my old 2003 Celica which had an awesome interior.

amrihua

The other day in Tsuchiura, I saw the most uncommon sight in Japan. A yellow Pontiac Solstice. It is like my dream car keeps chasing me. Couldn't get my phone out in time to take a picture, but here is a yellow Pontiac Solstice.

800px-Pontiac-Solstice-GXP-DC.jpg

TylerD

Interior looks very functional and suitably tailored around the driver. I like the gauges and HVAC controls and the toggle switches. Push button start is in a weird position. I am definitely bummed about the extreme sameness of the BRZ. Ass on the BRZ looks better with the more red dominated lights but still no where close to the sexy concepts.

Surely it will look better in person.

J-Rzez

I don't think for a moment that this car won't sell out it's volume (maybe not in the snowy regions), but this car is not going to sell totally to the type of person Toyota/Subaru is aiming for. It's going to sell a bit to enthusiasts, but like it or not, the engine is a massive disappointment and is going to be the root of the problem why this car will not sell entirely to the crowd it's intended for. This is coming from someone who had a 2000 Celica GT-S which had similar ratings. It's going to lack power to pull you out of the turns, and I'm going to suspect that the suspension isn't going to be hero-car like at all. Was my GT-S a fun to drive car? Sure, at times. If it were RWD it would have been a bit more fun to mention. But it was my first new car, and that clouded my views, even despite owning and driving faster cars prior to it.

Everyone seems to think that this thing is going to handle on rails, and it won't. Not without a real suspension on it, at least. "You don't need the power to enjoy the handling", that was the way I thought when I bought it. Then 4 years later I test drove, and immediately bought a new Evo, which has more power but it's "heavy" as some would say back then. I knew it would be faster, and it would handle better, but I was blown away how that heavier car shit on my modded out Celica in every regard.

So this brings me to my next scatter-brained rambling. Toyota/Subaru fucked up royally. This car had the potential to bring by "fun" to the Toyota name, and bring them back to the glory of their golden 90's years. This car should have at least been turbocharged and put out 260+hp. It would have been more enticing to "modder enthusiasts" for sure. And why couldn't they have done both a real performance car, and this wet noodle that's going to sell to window shoppers.

Yes, that's who's going buy up the vast majority of these cars, the uneducated window shoppers who buy a car entirely on looks and price. Now there's more rumblings than ever Toyota is going to bring back the Supra, and I believe they are, but I'm scared as hell to how they're going to shit on that name. Hell, some people still don't even know that Scion is actually a Toyota brand to this day believe it or not.

Subaru on the other hand is sitting pretty. They have a 2-door cool looking affordable car now, but they at least have the WRX and STI to fall back on for enthusiasts. And the new WRX sounds delicious if rumors are true.

The 86 will probably be around 25-26k optioned well enough in the end when it hits dealer lots. That puts it dangerously close to other cars that will match, and exceed it's performance. I would maybe consider one as a daily commuter, but that's about it. I had higher hopes for this, and once I saw the writing on the wall I started looking at alternatives.

any interior that is tailored toward the driver gets a plus from me.

i miss the curve of the supra interior.

That car was a work of art, a real drivers car on every level for it's day. Hell, even today it's respected and regarded well, and it holds up well compared to today's cars. And yes, the interior was spectacular. How Toyota went from that car to the 86 is shocking, and I have zero faith in them bringing back the Supra magic when they inevitably bring that car back.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This car should have at least been turbocharged and put out 260+hp.

Gez dude. I don't think you get that this car is going after the spirit of the AE86. A fucking corolla. Hence the name...GT86.

edit:
I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but it just gets to me that some of you guys think this car is aiming that high. I think TRD will make a supercharger (that probably won't add too much except price), but base model ..no way. this car seems to be aimed at people who loved the cult classic Trueno, and 20+ year olds that are moving on from their civics and scion tc's.

J-Rzez

Gez dude. I don't think you get that this car is going after the spirit of the AE86. A fucking corolla. Hence the name...GT86.

Hey, I own every Initial D dvd out there! Naw I know what this car is going for, but I think it's "off". It's going to cost too much for what it is, it's going to handle less than expected for it's hype and price, especially that it's going to end up weighing close to 2700lbs probably. Times have changed and Toyota is still basically in their "2000" mindset. This car will sell every unit on the lots, but it will be sold to window shoppers, or "casual car enthusiasts" (lol) at best, while enthusiasts will buy these in smaller number to tinker with. Most enthusiasts expect more these days.

And they could have at least put a more proper exhaust on the thing to let that beautiful boxer sound emanate from. :)

I'm sure there will be a tuner out there though who will make proper mods to get this thing to where it should have been from the dealer lot. I mean, look at what Hotchkis did to the 7th gen Celica. It'll add on some cost, and if you go for more power you have to be afraid of your warranty going to shit from an expensive turbo kit.

edit: And no, I didn't think you came off that way. I'm really disappointed with Toyota, and I have a bad feeling this thing is not going to have the true spirit of the old 86 that they're trying to push out there.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Hey, I own every Initial D dvd out there! Naw I know what this car is going for, but I think it's "off". It's going to cost too much for what it is, it's going to handle less than expected for it's hype and price, especially that it's going to end up weighing close to 2700lbs probably. Times have changed and Toyota is still basically in their "2000" mindset. This car will sell every unit on the lots, but it will be sold to window shoppers, or "casual car enthusiasts" (lol) at best, while enthusiasts will buy these in smaller number to tinker with. Most enthusiasts expect more these days.

And they could have at least put a more proper exhaust on the thing to let that beautiful boxer sound emanate from. :)

Gotcha. I think you should of paid homage in your post above. ;) I agree, I don't think enthusiast other than the drift circuit or cheap aftermarket lovers will care much about this car.

I think people are getting panties bunched up because this isnt a 25k 370z or the return of the supra.

As for the sound, I don't think it sounded that bad from the test drive videos. For what it's putting out..lol

I just hope the '86 and the burz doesn't catch the eyes of the fart can crowds.
Doucheist drivers ever, which is why the tC is one of the highest to insure cars and one of the most ticketed cars out there.

also, the interior reminds me of the RX8's. Very driver focused.

I just hope the '86 and the burz doesn't catch the eyes of the fart can crowds.
Doucheist drivers ever, which is why the tC is one of the highest to insure cars and one of the most ticketed cars out there.

also, the interior reminds me of the RX8's. Very driver focused.

No, the TC is one of the highest to insure cars because of all the 18-20 year old girls (and guys too) that crash them constantly. And it's ticketed so much because those same drivers are morons.

Uh, you are describing the same crowd I am. lol

Also, I don't get the low numbers hate. The Miata has almost the same and is one of the best cars I've ever driven.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
yeah, civic is still the fart can king. but i think its slowing down compared to how things were years ago. circa 2fast2furious

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yeah, civic is still the fart can king. but i think its slowing down compared to how things were years ago. circa 2fast2furious
That era peaked like 10 years ago, really. You still see a few mismatched body kits incorrectly attached to Civics, but it's a dying breed. I'm all for this car bringing back that whole scene. It was hilarious when people jacked up their cars with half-assed mods and made for at least good conversation if they did it right.

My first car was a '89 Mustang 5.0 (and a piece of shit btw) and I used to get into ridiculous debates about Asian v. Domestic cars and who would win in hypothetical racing scenarios. I've already seen like 7 posts by dudes claiming they're going to thumb their noses at V8 Mustangs and Camaros as they pass them in the turns with their superior handling. Awesome.

That era peaked like 10 years ago, really. You still see a few mismatched body kits incorrectly attached to Civics, but it's a dying breed. I'm all for this car bringing back that whole scene. It was hilarious when people jacked up their cars with half-assed mods and made for at least good conversation if they did it right.

My first car was a '89 Mustang 5.0 (and a piece of shit btw) and I used to get into ridiculous debates about Asian v. Domestic cars and who would win in hypothetical racing scenarios. I've already seen like 7 posts by dudes claiming they're going to thumb their noses at V8 Mustangs and Camaros as they pass them in the turns with their superior handling. Awesome.

There's actually a ton of shitty riced out, fartcan Civics around. You'd be very surprised.

Interesting size comparison of the MX-5, 86, Genesis and Mustang.

original.png

At least Genesis, the 86 and the miata don't look like ass. I hate the retro look.
Also, kinda confirms that the 86 is an mx5 +2 seats, which is awesome.

also, if Hyundai put a V8 in the coupe, holly hell would it be a true Mustang competitor.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'm guessing the seats were only there since this particular car was driven around the track at that event. Doubt they will come in an actual production-spec version.

The spoiler when viewed from the back actually makes the rear less ugly. I think it's made so high so that it doesn't block the rear-view mirror. I personally prefer the duck lip spoiler that was previously shown in a leak.

Edit:

VdMWG.jpg

That looks hot.

The interior however... Jesus..

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-conc_800x0w.jpg

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-conc-9_800x0w.jpg

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-conc-28_800x0w.jpg

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-conc-1_1600x0w.jpg

The hood of the car would look a million times better if they deleted those lines coming from the mid emblem..

Looks hot with those rims and black color.

The cars backside looks a bit too hatchbackish for my tastes. At least from certain angles..

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh god, the 2013 Shelby:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/17/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-looks-angry-wants-out/

I want to make sweet love to it!! Looks like end of 2012 release. Gotta let the wife know and start saving up my pennies now. I'll miss my current 2011 Mustang GT/CS, but sacrifices MUST BE MADE.

I, for one, cannot wait for the slew of "Shelby driver floors it coming out of parking lot and fishtails into oncoming traffic" videos that will come from this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
right. what? who needed a picture to tell them a miata is smaller than a mustang?
Someone who was trying to insinuate that these cars are competitors to each other, which really they aren't. I may not be a fancy New York Lawyer, but it doesn't seem like these cars are competing in the same markets at all.

They're competing in the sense that the people who buy them probably hate the other, i.e. "my car is better than yours becuase it's lighter" or its opposite "my car is better than yours because it has 125 more hp."

Someone who was trying to insinuate that these cars are competitors to each other, which really they aren't. I may not be a fancy New York Lawyer, but it doesn't seem like these cars are competing in the same markets at all.

They're competing in the sense that the people who buy them probably hate the other, i.e. "my car is better than yours becuase it's lighter" or its opposite "my car is better than yours because it has 125 more hp."

The whole point is to show the size comparison of the new 86. It is for people who can't grasp that it is fairly small. It has ZERO to do with "competitors." I just posted the picture because I thought that point was obvious. Apparently I was wrong.

I don't think for a moment that this car won't sell out it's volume (maybe not in the snowy regions), but this car is not going to sell totally to the type of person Toyota/Subaru is aiming for. It's going to sell a bit to enthusiasts, but like it or not, the engine is a massive disappointment and is going to be the root of the problem why this car will not sell entirely to the crowd it's intended for. This is coming from someone who had a 2000 Celica GT-S which had similar ratings. It's going to lack power to pull you out of the turns, and I'm going to suspect that the suspension isn't going to be hero-car like at all. Was my GT-S a fun to drive car? Sure, at times. If it were RWD it would have been a bit more fun to mention. But it was my first new car, and that clouded my views, even despite owning and driving faster cars prior to it.

Everyone seems to think that this thing is going to handle on rails, and it won't. Not without a real suspension on it, at least. "You don't need the power to enjoy the handling", that was the way I thought when I bought it. Then 4 years later I test drove, and immediately bought a new Evo, which has more power but it's "heavy" as some would say back then. I knew it would be faster, and it would handle better, but I was blown away how that heavier car shit on my modded out Celica in every regard.

So this brings me to my next scatter-brained rambling. Toyota/Subaru fucked up royally. This car had the potential to bring by "fun" to the Toyota name, and bring them back to the glory of their golden 90's years. This car should have at least been turbocharged and put out 260+hp. It would have been more enticing to "modder enthusiasts" for sure. And why couldn't they have done both a real performance car, and this wet noodle that's going to sell to window shoppers.

Yes, that's who's going buy up the vast majority of these cars, the uneducated window shoppers who buy a car entirely on looks and price. Now there's more rumblings than ever Toyota is going to bring back the Supra, and I believe they are, but I'm scared as hell to how they're going to shit on that name. Hell, some people still don't even know that Scion is actually a Toyota brand to this day believe it or not.

Subaru on the other hand is sitting pretty. They have a 2-door cool looking affordable car now, but they at least have the WRX and STI to fall back on for enthusiasts. And the new WRX sounds delicious if rumors are true.

The 86 will probably be around 25-26k optioned well enough in the end when it hits dealer lots. That puts it dangerously close to other cars that will match, and exceed it's performance. I would maybe consider one as a daily commuter, but that's about it. I had higher hopes for this, and once I saw the writing on the wall I started looking at alternatives.

That car was a work of art, a real drivers car on every level for it's day. Hell, even today it's respected and regarded well, and it holds up well compared to today's cars. And yes, the interior was spectacular. How Toyota went from that car to the 86 is shocking, and I have zero faith in them bringing back the Supra magic when they inevitably bring that car back.

To be honest, if they do go like hot cakes, I don't think they care about who is buying them, not until they want market research for a detailed study anyway. #1 goal of a company and all that.

Suspension? To begin with it does at least have proper independent suspension. Sure it might not be rock hard, but springing/damping is easy to do. They can't expect that all buyers will want the perfect track setup as it sacrifices too much for your commute. Pistonheads, a fairly reputable place for the UK enthusiasts reckon the handling is 'up there with a Cayman'. Course I'm not taking it without a pinch of salt, but even so we shouldn't be so dismissive of handling.

As for power, compared to the US market I agree it lacks. I have no argument for that, however if you look to Europe and Asia, the figures aren't as likely to be looked down upon. Bhp/price, it's higher than a fair amount on British roads... Again, I'm not disputing whether or not it is enough.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys, let's stop talking about shitty cars...and let's talk about what I just drove. A 2012 A6 3.0 Supercharged.

If anyone has the means to, please go out and drive this car. The ride is heavenly, absolutely heavenly. And yet it handles better than a lot of sports cars, I've driven. I have no idea who the hell developed this car or how they did it...but the ride quality is simply sublime for being such a great handling giant sedan.

Then there's dat torques! 325lbs of it below 3K RPM, most of it comes in at 2.5K RPM...put the car into sport mode or flex those gears manually and the rush of power pushes you into the seat at a mere 3000RPM all the way to around the redline mark (power will drop off as you approach redline, just like most other forced induction cars).

The interior was absolutely beautiful, the real wood accents are gorgeous and much better than the clearcoated faux wood in other cars that tends to get scratched and swirl marks. The pop up navi screen was huge and gorgeous to look at, and next gen MMI is vastly improved over the older cars. I absolutely loved everything about the car - no wonder Audi has been shitting on every other car make and their competition. I've driven the new 5-series, and not only did it handle quite a bit worse, the steering feel was borderline terrible and numb, and the power delivery lacked refinement. Plus the interior, while nice, can't even compare to Audi.

The E-Class...well, the E-Class is really just about the biggest mistake you can make in the midsize luxury segment. Pretty awful in virtually every respect.

J-Rzez

To be honest, if they do go like hot cakes, I don't think they care about who is buying them, not until they want market research for a detailed study anyway. #1 goal of a company and all that.

Suspension? To begin with it does at least have proper independent suspension. Sure it might not be rock hard, but springing/damping is easy to do. They can't expect that all buyers will want the perfect track setup as it sacrifices too much for your commute. Pistonheads, a fairly reputable place for the UK enthusiasts reckon the handling is 'up there with a Cayman'. Course I'm not taking it without a pinch of salt, but even so we shouldn't be so dismissive of handling.

Well this is supposed to be an image car of Toyota going back to their roots and bring affordable fun back to their name like they used to have as all they have now is the outrageously priced LFA which gets hammered by cars $200k+ cheaper, and the IS-F which is something that's not exactly, "exciting". So it bewilders me that they missed their goals with this car. It was supposed to be around 2400lbs, an uncompromising suspension, a spartan interior, and rolling on some wide tracking rubber. Instead, it's 300lbs heavier than targeted which in turn is going to put a strain on that motor whose output was tweaked and designed for a 2400lb car, it has rubber band tires on it, and it's suspension is going to be compromising. Worst of all, in the US, they're marketing it as a Scion. There's people out there that shockingly don't realize that Scion is a branch of Toyota, and it doesn't exactly fluff the "generic people mover plus great trucks/suvs and a hybrid" boring image that the Toyota emblem has been known for.

I'd imagine though that the aftermarket will make some great parts for this car, and turn it into the machine people more expected. A good set of wheels/tires, a full suspension, and a power boost will make this car fun, but the problem is that you're messing with your warranty, and you're paying $25-26k for the car and then dumping a couple grand more into that inflating the price to a range where you could have bought a better performing car in the first place out of the box.

Also, while the number crunchers who ruined this car won't care if it sells out to anyone, I know for a fact the teams that originally plotted this car out will be disappointed when they find that there's far more "Suzy I don't know fuck-all about cars but it looks cool and is orange" buy the car than the intended audience, as it's going to ruin what this car's goal was to be.

There is a lot of hate for these cars BRZ, FT 86, and the FR-S.

I am excited, and I can't wait to sit in one. The only tough decision will be which one to get, and in what color.

AlphaSnake

And I bet you these would be the same people bitching at Toyota for not coming back to the Sports car market. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Wtf? That makes no sense. We are the people who expected and wanted Toyota to bring out a sports car. No one, and I mean no one, wanted to see an underpowered, ugly, and cheap looking car that both brands have revealed.

Both cars desperately need a Supra and STi treatment.

Wtf? That makes no sense. We are the people who expected and wanted Toyota to bring out a sports car. No one, and I mean no one, wanted to see an underpowered, ugly, and cheap looking car that both brands have revealed.

After been out of the game for so long, you can't expect Toyota to bring back a Supra-level sports car on their first go. With the FT-86/FR-S they're testing the waters and hopefully if this car sells well, they'll consider bringing the Supra back.

We now have a high end exotic sports car which is the LFA and a low-end sports car which is the FT-86/FR-S. Perhaps their next car will be a middle-leveled car like the Supra.

At least I hope it is.

AlphaSnake

After been out of the game for so long, you can't expect Toyota to bring back a Supra-level sports car. With the FT-86/FR-S they're testing the waters and hopefully if this car sells well, they'll consider bringing the Supra back.

Don't forget, the "Supra" namesake didn't start out as a full fledged car model. It was a glorified trim package for the Celica at one point. So in this case, the Supra model of the car would be a more powerful version.

Either way, Toyota has such a loyal following that their sport offering would've been gobbled up immediately. Nissan took a big break between the 300ZX and the 350Z and the car sold like a motherfucker in its first 3 years, or so. That argument simply doesn't hold much water, imo.

Yeah, it sure would have sucked if they had put out an underpowered, ugly and cheap looking car. Good thing that isn't the case at all.

Seriously, so much unwarranted negativity.

J-Rzez

Exactly. 200hp, 151tq, rubberband tires all going on a 2700lb, $25-26k "sporty car", this is not what the majority of enthusiasts asked of Toyota to make to come back to their 90's golden era. Like I said, these will sell every car in the end, but not to who Toyota intended to sell these cars to.

Subaru is in a better position with this car because they have some more enthusiast level cars like the WRX/STI, and they can put this out as a good looking coupe (I think they look ok) that they don't have in their line up. Toyota on the other hand has nothing to fall back on outside of a $300-400k unobtainable "super car" and a boring 4-door luxo-sport.

They missed the mark. This should have been a $30k 300hp+ RWD/AWD car, basically a GT-Four/All-Trac or "Supra".

AlphaSnake

Yeah, it sure would have sucked if they had put out an underpowered, ugly and cheap looking car. Good thing that isn't the case at all.

Seriously, so much unwarranted negativity.

We'll just have to wait until tests come out.

Subaru is in a better position with this car because they have some more enthusiast level cars like the WRX/STI, and they can put this out as a good looking coupe (I think they look ok) that they don't have in their line up. Toyota on the other hand has nothing to fall back on outside of a $300-400k unobtainable "super car" and a boring 4-door luxo-sport.

But you just said it'd sell well. So what does it matter? Unfortunately the enthusiast market is small fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom