• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznpxdd

I just bought a 2012 A4 couple of weeks ago (fantastic car, btw) and the new A7s and A8s that were at the dealership were absolutely beautiful. Would love to own one of those in the future.

Welcome to the club brotha! Here's my 09 A4 :)

DSC_9044.jpg

DSC_9040.jpg

Halvie

Banned
What do you guys think of the Volvo C30? I know it's front wheel drive, but I like the look of it and it seems to have a decent amount of grunt, though looking at the prices they aren't cheap.

Like the looks a lot ( windows need to be tinted to offset the odd hatch design imo). Just wish the c30 pcp would be put into production.

They aren't cheap, mid of the pack performance, but rarley seen around here which is nice.

Welcome to the club brotha! Here's my 09 A4 :)

DSC_9040.jpg

I know I have asked before...advans or vmr?

Take the tint off the tails. Too nice a car for that imo.

AcridMeat

Banned
especially in this day and age, we will never get another AE86 because of the safety standards today required by the government.

I think you will definitely but much safer in a GT86 over an AE86 at least.

WHO WANTS THAT?!

What's the ballpark on the price for it? 25k? Still somewhat interested to be honest, would like to see one in person.

aznpxdd

Thanks guys :) I've putted in a lot of work into it. Luckily I've got a lot of my parts through sponsorship, so I've only paid their cost.

Those are VMR v701's. I'm a friend of the owner, so I got them for $400/4 wheels!

Too many mods to list, but the big ones: AWE Quad-Tip Exhaust, VMR V701's, ST Coilovers, CF filler plate, OSIR trunk spoiler, OSIR CF rear diffuser, Black roof, K&N Intake.

More pics for your viewing pleasure, also includes its previous shoes.

DSC_9047.jpg

DSC_9037.jpg

DSC_9029.jpg

DSC_9061.jpg

With a friend's relatively stock M3.

dsc829223tonemapped-1.jpg
Old wheels. The lights are shopped.

dsc834032tonemapped.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
All that and no tune? Wtf, dude. Get an APR in that bish. That car needs some powah.

I have a 2010 MKV 2.5 Jetta, I had to get a new car when the previous car died. Once the warrenty runs out I want to trade it in on something else. I previously owned a 84 Mazda Rx-7 loved the hell out of it and so I am looking at the MX-5.

NeoGAF is critical as hell, lets hear the opinions on this car and suggestions for anything else that is around the 30k range.

Honestly as cheap as the interior is all that matters is how tweakable it is for the track. No I am not saying ricing it out. I am curious to how it would handle on the weekends. It sucks that the common belief here in America is that there is no replacement for displacement.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/resize/960x655/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/12/21-scion-fr-s-debut.jpg[/IM]

AlphaSnake's fingers are burning hot from the cheapness of that interior. It's like a demon touching holy water.[/QUOTE]

it looks so cheap, it's almost disrespectful. and people used to talk shit about Ford and GM? holy shit.

JackEtc

Coilovers are basically a whole new spring-on-shock system, they replace both your stock springs and shocks. Koni Yellows are just the shocks and you put your stock springs on them, essentially making them coilovers but with stock springs/spring rates.

It's like a computer: just because the case outside looks similar does not tell you the quality of what's inside. All shocks are NOT made equally. IMO the best made shocks are European in terms of performance/quality/comfort: Koni, Bilstein, and KW make some of the best suspension you can buy while also being incredibly comfortable and reliable. I am not a fan of cheap 'JDM' suspension or over the counter junk usually sold at autoparts stores (Monroe, et al.)
Amazing explanation, thank you for clearing that all up.

So, technically speaking, I could buy the Koni Yellows, and then take the springs off those Raceland coilovers I currently have and put them on the Yellows, and ride quality would improve and my problem would be solved?

Viperbah

I have a 2010 MKV 2.5 Jetta, I had to get a new car when the previous car died. Once the warrenty runs out I want to trade it in on something else. I previously owned a 84 Mazda Rx-7 loved the hell out of it and so I am looking at the MX-5.

NeoGAF is critical as hell, lets hear the opinions on this car and suggestions for anything else that is around the 30k range.

It would be hard to find a nice RX-7 that's not beat to death.

30K ? ...2011 370 Z or 2011 Mustang GT

Amazing explanation, thank you for clearing that all up.

So, technically speaking, I could buy the Koni Yellows, and then take the springs off those Raceland coilovers I currently have and put them on the Yellows, and ride quality would improve and my problem would be solved?

Yup. Those Raceland coilovers are DOGSHIT. They are apparently only good for lowering your car, and from what I read about them, you might as well cut your springs on stock suspension because you'll get the same lowering effect with the same shitty ride quality. They're total junk, sell them on a forum and be done with them.

All that and no tune? Wtf, dude. Get an APR in that bish. That car needs some powah.

I lol'd.

Don't buy an MX-5 new. You can get gently used ones with low miles for $15-20k if it's a newer year. They're AMAZING cars. The chassis, suspension, etc is heavenly. Incredible handling.

That being said (and I'm totally biased), look into 06-09 Honda S2000's instead. They have a similar rear suspension setup to old RX-7's and are more in line with the spirit of an RX-7. S2000 is wayyy more fun to drive than a Miata.

Totally agree with bah321, for $30k you could get a really nice 370z.

AlphaSnake

21-scion-fr-s-debut.jpg

AlphaSnake's fingers are burning hot from the cheapness of that interior. It's like a demon touching holy water.

I...I...

I want to punch someone in the face. My 2001 Maxima had an interior that looked loads better than that hunk of shit. And it's a 12 year old interior (car came out in 99).

2001_nissan_maxima_se_interior_100000988_m.jpg

AlphaSnake

That was my question, too!

I'm not shitting on the guy either...car looks gorgeous. It's just that they're so slow. I've had A4 loaners with the 8-speed AT (his has the 6AT) and it just feels like a dog.

And btw, I know why he tinted those tails, he got his car before they offered optional LED taillights, which made the standard ones look terrible by comparison.

J-Rzez

Honestly as cheap as the interior is all that matters is how tweakable it is for the track. No I am not saying ricing it out. I am curious to how it would handle on the weekends. It sucks that the common belief here in America is that there is no replacement for displacement.

Toyota is still hiding the weight of the car, that's not good, though Subie let their leak from 2700-2825lbs now. I can't imagine this thing having the power to pull itself out of the turns in which it can't carry enough speed into. It's a shame, so much potential for this chassis.

That interior is terrible. I know all about spartan interiors coming from an Evo driver, but that looks pathetic. If they wanted a true gutted track car, they should have had an A/C delete, Power Windows delete, and radio delete. Speaking off, that radio looks jacked right out of a 1990 silverado (despite having up to date features).

Toyota is still hiding the weight of the car, that's not good, though Subie let their leak from 2700-2825lbs now. I can't imagine this thing having the power to pull itself out of the turns in which it can't carry enough speed into. It's a shame, so much potential for this chassis.

That interior is terrible. I know all about spartan interiors coming from an Evo driver, but that looks pathetic. If they wanted a true gutted track car, they should have had an A/C delete, Power Windows delete, and radio delete. Speaking off, that radio looks jacked right out of a 1990 silverado (despite having up to date features).

If you read the article I posted, it does say 1180 kg (2600 lbs). Where they got that from, it's not specified.

Viperbah

Anyone have experiences going from lhd to rhd? Or driving a rhd car in a lhd country? Is it difficult?

My friend has an older rhd GTR...I am fairly sure it is illegal in the US.

It would be awkward at first, but I'm sure you could get used to it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
0-60 in ~7 seconds?

Damn.

slow
This car is in a full blown identity crisis.

40MPG and 0-60 in over 7 seconds puts it squarely in econobox category (ie Mazda3) and the RWD 2+2 setup puts it in the fun little track car category. Which is it?

This is Toyota at its worst: trying to please everyone at once and putting out a mediocre product.

BTW, ~2800lbs will make it as heavy as a Mazda3i -- except that car is considerably larger and has four doors. Erm.

That's not much slower than an S2000.

S2000 does 0-60 in 5.1-5.3s with a good launch and the quarter in 13.7-13.9 @ 100 MPH with a good launch as well, bone stock.

What?

A S2000 (stock) is easily a second quicker... that's huge.

Over 1.5s quicker... which is an enormous difference.

S2000 is easily trapping 7+ mph higher than the GT86, no doubt about it. Not even comparable.

GT86 needs turbo so badly. Take it from 160-170 whp to 250-300 whp and it'd be an absolute monster and MPG wouldn't even suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom