• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ugly, it's going to be expensive, it has 150lb of torque at 6600RPM, and it doesn't do anything new or exciting. At the end of the day, it's also a Toyota. Why would anyone put this much faith in post-2000 Toyota making an exciting car?

Fine, let's get nitpicky.

It's ugly
I disagree, as do many others.
it's going to be expensive
This is an assumption, and you have an unrealistic expectation for its price.
it has 150lb of torque at 6600RPM
It's not outstanding but for the weight it's not inappropriate. No drivers have really complained about the power and from the few videos that have cropped up of it the engine note is surprisingly good. Personally, I like the idea of 200hp out of a high-strung engine for this car, it means I'll be able to really flog the thing and have fun without worrying about going way too fast.
and it doesn't do anything new or exciting
I know, right? There are just so many lightweight, handling-focused RWD coupes that I can't decide which one to pick!

And I'll put some measure of faith in Toyota doing right by this car because a) Toyota knows how to make a fantastic sports car, don't count them out just because they haven't in a while and b) They've spent a good amount of time getting this car right.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm 20 and I live in California so winters aren't a problem. I'm definitely not a mature driver. I had to walk to high school and now I take the bus in college. I do have experience driving but not much.

Yeaah...well, if you're not a mature driver you'll end up killing yourself in any car.

Every car has the ability to go fast, it just depends on how patient you are to get to the desired speed.

And I'll put some measure of faith in Toyota doing right by this car because a) Toyota knows how to make a fantastic sports car, don't count them out just because they haven't in a while and b) They've spent a good amount of time getting this car right.

Subaru engineered it. it is Subaru power, Subaru drivetrain, and Subaru suspension. Toyota is funding it and building it.

the BRZ will be the better looking one, which is almost never the case for Subaru.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Fine, let's get nitpicky.

I disagree, as do many others.
Really? On here it's been 90/10 hate-love.
This is an assumption, and you have an unrealistic expectation for its price.
No I don't. Not when looking at what other cars are available.
It's not outstanding but for the weight it's not inappropriate. No drivers have really complained about the power and from the few videos that have cropped up of it the engine note is surprisingly good. Personally, I like the idea of 200hp out of a high-strung engine for this car, it means I'll be able to really flog the thing and have fun without worrying about going way too fast.
We have plenty examples of cars that do the same thing (Civic Si, RX-8) that tried to get by with such a philosophy, and each and every time it's been proven that it's not enough power.
I know, right? There are just so many lightweight, handling-focused RWD coupes that I can't decide which one to pick!
There are plenty of RWD manual coupes that cost less than $25k. They might not weigh sub-2700 lbs, but they certainly make up for it with better and higher performing engines.
I don't.

Here is what Toyota mustered in the past decade trying to compete in Formula 1, despite one of the highest payrolls the sport has ever seen ($550mil/year):
Races competed 140
Constructors' Championships 0
Drivers' Championships 0
Race victories 0
Podiums 13
Pole positions 3
Fastest laps 3
The highest payroll in Formula 1 got them 0 wins in 140 races. If that's who you have faith in, then by all means...

Okay this is just getting obnoxious. Reilo, the 86, obviously, is not, never was, and never will be the car you're looking for. I understand you think it's pee-pee doo-doo but to many others it is seen as a possible return to a type of car that has not been properly done in about a decade. So I can await a RWD Integra Type-R, you can lust over the next hunk of steel with the fattest engine around.

I really do think this is funny. In this thread everyone is negative about this car, in the automotive sub-forum on something awful everyone is super excited. Here's a fun chart one of them put together:

nVdbc.png

Ash_69

I for one can't wait for the GT-86. There is a huge difference between calling it a great looking car and ugly. If you are calling it ugly, you are simply trolling or should of gone to spec savers. I reiterate, "dat profile".

On price, I don't think GBP20k would be unreasonable (we are talking high end focus money). Not sure what that would translate into in USD as Brits will no doubt get ripped off.

Any more and it's getting perilously close to more powerful/high desirability models.

What sort of 0-62 times should we be expecting?

Halvie

Banned
I for one can't wait for the GT-86. There is a huge difference between calling it a great looking car and ugly. If you are calling it ugly, you are simply trolling or should of gone to spec savers. I reiterate, "dat profile".

On price, I don't think GBP20k would be unreasonable (we are talking high end focus money). Not sure what that would translate into in USD as Brits will no doubt get ripped off.

Any more and it's getting perilously close to more powerful/high desirability models.

What sort of 0-62 times should we be expecting?

The rear shot I posted is horrible. Overall it is ok, but not as good looking as the prototype (how often are they...), or genesis / 370z.

Hoping Subaru has plans for a turbo down the line. Will be a lot more exciting to me if they do.

The rear shot I posted is horrible. Overall it is ok, but not as good looking as the prototype (how often are they...), or genesis / 370z.

Hoping Subaru has plans for a turbo down the line. Will be a lot more exciting to me if they do.

Not knowing Subaru's plans for the car is what's really holding me back from wanting to buy one. I'd hate to pick one up this summer then see a track version come out next year.

I won't have any concrete opinions until I test drive the damn thing.
RX8's have sub-200 WHP engines (and torque? what's that?) and are still damn entertaining.

chepu

People complaining about lack of Horsepower on the GT-86 Have no clue on whats this car purpose.

And about it being ugly? After seeing it in White the only thought in my mind is that red isnt its best colour.

I reaally like it and hope it sells a lot, so maybe we can see something like a new supra (350 HP, Turbo V6)

I won't have any concrete opinions until I test drive the damn thing.
RX8's have sub-200 WHP engines (and torque? what's that?) and are still damn entertaining.

RX-8 is junk, S2000 is better and way more fun to drive. Fuck rotaries.

Also, the GT86 IS ugly. The rear is fucking hideous... The front is a huge downgrade from the concept/BRZ.

Also, the car DOES need power. It really does. Lightweight cars are so much better with decent power.

Pterion

Saw a 911 GTS as I was heading to work today. White car, rear wing + front lip options, aston martin-like taillights. Best sounding car I have heard in person. Wow. Other 911s never sounded this awesome. Am I crazy?

God I need money.

RX-8 is junk, S2000 is better and way more fun to drive. Fuck rotaries.

Also, the GT86 IS ugly. The rear is fucking hideous... The front is a huge downgrade from the concept/BRZ.

Also, the car DOES need power. It really does. Lightweight cars are so much better with decent power.

Do yourself a favor and preface subjective statements with "I think." I think that the GT86 is ugly. I think the rear is fucking hideous... etc.

AlphaSnake

Do yourself a favor and preface subjective statements with "I think." I think that the GT86 is ugly. I think the rear is fucking hideous... etc.

It's implied that it's his opinion. It's him writing it, it's not the word of God.

And I agree with everything he has to say. This car has no purpose or identity.

RX8>S2000
every time

That's why the S2000 is faster on the track, more reliable, gets better mpg, and makes more power, right? Weighs 350 lbs less and makes 20-30 more whp. Oh, and the RX8 is hideous, has a horrific rear end just like the GT86.

The RX8 is better at carrying groceries, I'll give it that.

It's implied that it's his opinion. It's him writing it, it's not the word of God.

And I agree with everything he has to say. This car has no purpose or identity.

No man, when someone writes something on the Internet they truly believe it's the definitive word. lol :p

Yeah, the GT86 is... fuck. Such a mess right now. The concept had perfect styling/tail-lights, and the car needs a 'turbo' higher-end package ASAP.

Zyzyxxz

It sucks I just came back from LA auto show yesterday and thought the FT86 concept they had on display was gorgeous and then I come back home and saw that the official version looked like shit the same day.

How could Toyota deceive me like that!

At least the Subaru version looks nice but the lack of power for the potential price makes me wary.

MisterNoisy

Okay this is just getting obnoxious. Reilo, the 86, obviously, is not, never was, and never will be the car you're looking for. I understand you think it's pee-pee doo-doo but to many others it is seen as a possible return to a type of car that has not been properly done in about a decade. So I can await a RWD Integra Type-R, you can lust over the next hunk of steel with the fattest engine around.

I really do think this is funny. In this thread everyone is negative about this car, in the automotive sub-forum on something awful everyone is super excited. Here's a fun chart one of them put together:

nVdbc.png

Chart needs the Gen Coupe 3.8 in there: Columns would read 111; 306/312; 3389; $26,750 and 17/26

For the record, I like the new 86 and it's styling - nobody really expected the crazy boy-racer bullshit on the concepts to make it to production, did they? Looks like it splits the difference between the two Gen Coupe models nicely (faster than the current 2.0T GC, not as expensive as the 3.8).

MisterNoisy

Crazy boy racer? They ended up with Altezza taillights, man...

That's new boy-racer bullshit that can be made cheaply. ;) I'm referring to the road-scraping nose, odd lighting, big flares (especially on the second concept, which was a giant step back from the fairly tasteful original) and 20" wheels on the show cars. If you didn't expect it to be dialed back a bit for production (especially for a sub-$30K RWD sports car on a unique platform from the planet's most conservative car maker), you were huffing glue.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That's why the S2000 is faster on the track, more reliable, gets better mpg, and makes more power, right? Weighs 350 lbs less and makes 20-30 more whp. Oh, and the RX8 is hideous, has a horrific rear end just like the GT86.

The RX8 is better at carrying groceries, I'll give it that.

No man, when someone writes something on the Internet they truly believe it's the definitive word. lol :p

Yeah, the GT86 is... fuck. Such a mess right now. The concept had perfect styling/tail-lights, and the car needs a 'turbo' higher-end package ASAP.

RX8 is weird looking and deliberately so. I don't think it's fair to compare it to something as risk-averse as an S2000. They're just not for the same people.RX8 is for weirdoes who like that kind of thing. Like Saabs.

Again, if you picked a car based on some kind of feature/perf/cost matrix, everyone would be driving a WRX. Ultimately it's about how a car makes you feel. Unless it's a mustang or a Charger - those are objectively wrong.

RX8 is weird looking and deliberately so. I don't think it's fair to compare it to something as risk-averse as an S2000. They're just not for the same people.RX8 is for weirdoes who like that kind of thing. Like Saabs.
I take offense to that. I would never buy a Saab.
Also I'd take Fiat Barchetta before I would get an S2000.

aznpxdd

Well, the pictures of the production version of the BRZ has been released today. Doesn't look too different...

Can someone post a side by side comparison shot between the BRZ and FT86?

reilo

Well, the pictures of the production version of the BRZ has been released today. Doesn't look too different...

Can someone post a side by side comparison shot between the BRZ and FT86?

BRZ:

K6AKU.jpg

GT-86:

C3YMU.jpg

Car makers play it way too safe these days, I'm tired of Toyota's samey looking vehicles now. I mean, a van is way different from your camry, don't try to make the designs as similar as possible. Why?

Again, if you picked a car based on some kind of feature/perf/cost matrix, everyone would be driving a WRX. Ultimately it's about how a car makes you feel. Unless it's a mustang or a Charger - those are objectively wrong.

I gotta disagree about the WRX comment... their handling is just not up to snuff for my tastes. Takes a lot of work to get rid of that body roll + AWD understeer. Not ideal MPG either.

Agreed about the Charger... those things are garbare. HOWEVER, the new ones have a REALLY nice rear end.

I take offense to that. I would never buy a Saab.
Also I'd take Fiat Barchetta before I would get an S2000.

I find that many who doubt the S2000 have never driven one spiritedly.

I'd like to mention that if the RX8 had the Mazdaspeed 3 engine, it'd be one of my ideal cars. Seriously hate that rotary.

totally different cars, obv

2012-Subaru-BRZ-Tokyo-Motor-Show-Rear-Three-Quarter-1024x640.jpg

if you think these cars look different, you are definitely crazy

They changed the rear on the brz too? Wow, I honestly want to know if the designers think this rear looks better or if it's a money thing. Like the uglier it is the cheaper it is to produce.

AlphaSnake

What. The. Fuck!?

They're virtually identical. What in the fuck was the point of even showing us that STi concept 2 weeks ago if the car would be revealed 2 weeks later with a totally different rear end? I don't understand. Both companies are fucking stupid.

And the more I think about it, the more I think the Subaru version is a standard car, not the STi. And that the Toyota car will have the inevitable Supra or TRD designation.

What. The. Fuck!?

They're virtually identical. What in the fuck was the point of even showing us that STi concept 2 weeks ago if the car would be revealed 2 weeks later with a totally different rear end? I don't understand. Both companies are fucking stupid.

And the more I think about it, the more I think the Subaru version is a standard car, not the STi. And that the Toyota car will have the inevitable Supra or TRD designation.

WTF x2. Seriously, is this real life?

vanty

That BRZ STi concept thing looked really good except for the wing, the production car looks so bland in comparison. What the hell is that black thing at the top of the grille?

Different wheels, drop the ride height from crazy 4WD levels, and change the front grille area and it'd look good.

I think they really are relying too heavily on the aftermarket for these two cars, especially when they seem to be more expensive than anticipated.

AlphaSnake

WTF x2. Seriously, is this real life?

I've seriously stepped into some sort of timewarp where it's the shitty car era of the 1990s all over again, where the Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse were one ugly car. As was the Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT.

paskowitz

I think the main problem I have is the fact that the price has not been released. If it was like 20k they would say immediately, because that's a great selling point. Holding it back could mean its going to be not so great, like 25-30k. At which point you would have to be a complete fool not to look at a new Mustang GT, previous gen m3, used EVO/STi, genesis coupe, s2000+ aftermarket, etc, etc and realize they all offer more of just about everything.

Also in regards to the tail lights... focus groups, where awesome concept cars go to die.

I look forward to the actual TRD/STi versions of these cars.

if we are lucky, it will take notes from this
Toyota-FT-86-Coupe-G-Sports-0.jpg

AY0F2805.jpg

AY0F2811.jpg

AY0F2812.jpg

AY0F2807.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

AY0F2834.jpg

AY0F2835.jpg

AY0F2837.jpg

This seems to be the TRD production version, which stems from the FR-S Concept.

We've seen the BRZ STI Concept, but we've yet to see what the STI production version looks like...

reilo

I find that many who doubt the S2000 have never driven one spiritedly.

I'd like to mention that if the RX8 had the Mazdaspeed 3 engine, it'd be one of my ideal cars. Seriously hate that rotary.
Put a LS2 in it and call it a day.

And obviously I am just choosing to find things that I don't like about the Toyobaru. Obviously. None of the things I dislike it are fatal flaws of any sort.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AY0F2805.jpg

AY0F2811.jpg

This seems to be the TRD production version, which stems from the FR-S Concept.

We've seen the BRZ STI Concept, but we've yet to see what the STI production version looks like...
that spoiler is horrible.

Everything else is...ok. I highly doubt some of those mods will come with the american TRD version. Like the seats for one.

Its funny, the more I look at it. The interior feels AE86, the front feels celica, and the side profile looks like a supra. The rear still looks like shit though.

I highly doubt some of those mods will come with the american TRD version. Like the seats for one.

I'm guessing the seats were only there since this particular car was driven around the track at that event. Doubt they will come in an actual production-spec version.

The spoiler when viewed from the back actually makes the rear less ugly. I think it's made so high so that it doesn't block the rear-view mirror. I personally prefer the duck lip spoiler that was previously shown in a leak.

Edit:

VdMWG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom