• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting size comparison of the MX-5, 86, Genesis and Mustang.

original.png

Oh wow, didn't realize the FT-86 was almost the same size as a Miata. Really not very practical at that size imo.

ascii42

Didn't know 15 year old cars had Push To Start buttons, navigation systems, heated seats, and digital climate controls.
My '86 Cadillac had digital climate control. I was looking at buying a '66 Cadillac that had heated seats. Instead, I bought an '89 Buick Riviera that has a touchscreen. The '89 Oldsmobile Toronado was supposed to have a nav system, but unfortunately it wasn't ready in time, so it just has a compass.

I'll give you Push To Start though, that came around much more recently.

My '86 Cadillac had digital climate control. I was looking at buying a '66 Cadillac that had heated seats. Instead, I bought an '89 Riviera that has a touchscreen. The '89 Toronado was supposed to have a nav system, but unfortunately it wasn't ready in time.

I'll give you Push To Start though, that came around much more recently.

Yeah but you can't compare interiors from a LUXURY manufacturer like Cadillac to Toyota whose cars don't even come standard with leather seats; it's not fair lol.

Viperbah

It's an entry level sports car from Toyota, and I am ok with that. More of a resurrection of the MR2 than Supra.

I don't really like the styling from the pictures, but like most cars, I will make my judgement when seeing one in person.

Even though it will be slow, still should be a decently fun car to drive for a novice.

ascii42

Yeah but you can't compare interiors from a LUXURY manufacturer like Cadillac to Toyota whose cars don't even come standard with leather seats; it's not fair lol.
Certainly not. Though I'm pretty sure they meant that the design seemed like a 15 year old car, not the equipment. The equipment is fine for the price point.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The accusation began when the Audi A8 took on rather similar detailing as the smaller A4, and it was all but confirmed with the arrival of the latest A6: Audi was making the same car in different lengths. BMW, in fact, has been accused of the same thing with its sedans. Unlike BMW, though, Audi is apparently working to change that. It has begun a design overhaul called AQR that is claimed will "a set of individual themes for each of the three major model families."
Err? Who the fuck are these idiots that are complaining about Audi's designs? Wtf anuses. Stay away.

Oh wow, didn't realize the FT-86 was almost the same size as a Miata. Really not very practical at that size imo.

At this point I'm getting the feeling that people saw all the hype about the 86 and started applying their own personal wish-lists to the car without ever considering what the car was actually going to be.

Lightweight? Oh shit, I bet it'll be lighter than a Miata!

Sportscar? Nice! 350hp turbo straight 6!

2+2? Awesome! Plenty of space for the whole family!

I like the front end of the BRZ but those tail-lights need to be all red-out, desperately. The 'Altezza' look is just so BAD on this car.

Oh, and turbo. This car needs turbo badly.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
At this point I'm getting the feeling that people saw all the hype about the 86 and started applying their own personal wish-lists to the car without ever considering what the car was actually going to be.

Lightweight? Oh shit, I bet it'll be lighter than a Miata!

Sportscar? Nice! 350hp turbo straight 6!

2+2? Awesome! Plenty of space for the whole family!
Except that Toyota originally targeted this car to be 2400lbs and a $20k MSRP. They've reneged on both. Not to mention that we saw a BRZ concept a couple of months back with a STi badge and it still had the same weak engine. We didn't apply any wish-lists on this car that Toyota wasn't throwing out there.

Why they didn't drop a small turbo on this and gone with 220/220 power rating, I do not know.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Can photoshoppers tint out those nasty taillights and drop the car (like the other shops)? Curious to see what they'd look like darkened out.

AlphaSnake

That 2679lb weight may be dry weight too...meaning after all fluids are topped off (including gasoline) we may be looking at a car that'll weigh 2850lbs total.

Halvie

Banned
Guys, let's stop talking about shitty cars...and let's talk about what I just drove. A 2012 A6 3.0 Supercharged.

You are way too big a fan of the 3.0tfsi. Better than the 4.2 obviously but come on... :)

Can photoshoppers tint out those nasty taillights and drop the car (like the other shops)? Curious to see what they'd look like darkened out.

They need to just be color matched to the car. Dumbest / ugliest spot to put those.

J-Rzez

That 2679lb weight may be dry weight too...meaning after all fluids are topped off (including gasoline) we may be looking at a car that'll weigh 2850lbs total.

Yeah, this car will be a dog. Didn't a Toyota rep say this car went way over budget? I'm starting to think this thing will have a $28k price tag with options, maybe even $30k loaded. What a mess this turned out to be.

But you just said it'd sell well. So what does it matter? Unfortunately the enthusiast market is small fry.

It's supposed to be a "limited production car" according to them, so yes, it will sell out. Like I said though, this car was designed for "enthusiasts". And I can't recall this Toyota guys name but he seemed passionate about cars, and how he personally was making sure every detail would be for enthusiasts in mind, and to give life into the bland Toyota nameplate. If he is really passionate like he's acting, then him and his teams will be upset. But hey, they screwed this up themselves, so too bad. Unfortunately Toyota will remain an irrelevant brand to enthusiasts. And I don't care if we're a small market, these companies partially rely on us to make hype for their brand, and they're not getting it from me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I really think some of you forget the AE86 was aimed at the S12/200SX. Not the 300ZX.

Honestly, the AE86 holds a special spot for me because it's the car that got me into cars. It was the first car I drove stickshift on, and it was the first car I went drifting in.

My high school friend owned one when I was 16 and he was my ride to school for a year.
Heres a picture of it actually...
IMG_1911.jpg

and this is how i first remember it
DSC_0092.jpg

Last I heard, he had a s14 but sold it to restore another corolla.

Not a fan of the BRZ or 86, but one thing i look forward too is seeing if the germans have an answer for this.

Interesting to see, but fuck buying German right now. Poor resale, overpriced, reliability is at some of the lowest points it's ever been for Audi/BMW/Merc... bleh. I've lost my luster for German cars, they just aren't bang for the buck.

Give me small, lightweight RWD cars that have aftermarket support and reliability and are fun to drive. I remember when everyone thought the 135i/1M would be 3000 lbs or under... What a shame.

<--- and yes, I'm bitter. The only RWD, somewhat 'light' sports coupe that is pushing my buttons lately is the 370z. Hyundai really needs to revamp the Genesis coupe with a better 2.0T variant and a V8 Genesis coupe AND revised suspension. That would be closer to what the FT86 should've been.

J-Rzez

I really think some of you forget the AE86 was aimed at the S12/200SX. Not the 300ZX.

That was a great car for it's time, and I got to drive one when I was 16 and loved it. Thus my dismay for the new 86, as I have a feeling it's going to be flubbed, and worse, not have the magic the original had.

robox

goddamn dudes, the new 86 is a successor to the old 86, an entry level fun car.
it was never the intent to build a world beating sports car. not sure how people were expecting supra levels from this thing. i understand that we
rich gaf
are all grown up and can afford stuff now. but this seriously a case of port begging. they built the lfa for you.

i, for one, really can't believe they kept the 86 in the finalized name. when has the model code made into production name anyway? sure the 86 has a cult following, but it's kinda ballsy to apply.
along with the reverence held for the original, for how long this car has been brewing, it has all sorts of chances to disappoint, even for its niche.

JackEtc

So the Jetta went in for service yesterday, just an oil change, and a look at where the source of a small oil leak is.

When my Dad brought it in, he also asked to get all of the car inspected (point by point or whatever it's called), because for God knows why we didn't have that done closer to when we bought it.

It was a fucking blood bath. Two pages full of shit wrong with the car. I couldn't believe it, I'm really not happy about it either.

The biggest issue that I saw was that the previous owner who did all the mods to the car installed some piece of shit coilovers that aren't holding anything up, not supporting or softening the ride AT ALL. So now I'm looking at good Coilovers which are gonna cost like 1000 bucks.

And then there's everything else which is just going to add on to the costs. Fuck....

So the Jetta went in for service yesterday, just an oil change, and a look at where the source of a small oil leak is.

When my Dad brought it in, he also asked to get all of the car inspected (point by point or whatever it's called), because for God knows why we didn't have that done closer to when we bought it.

It was a fucking blood bath. Two pages full of shit wrong with the car. I couldn't believe it, I'm really not happy about it either.

The biggest issue that I saw was that the previous owner who did all the mods to the car installed some piece of shit coilovers that aren't holding anything up, not supporting or softening the ride AT ALL. So now I'm looking at good Coilovers which are gonna cost like 1000 bucks.

And then there's everything else which is just going to add on to the costs. Fuck....

1. It's a VW.
2. Get a second opinion. it's a stealership.
3. what do you expect when you buy cars from idiots? They do stupid stuff to them.
4. Dont blow $1k on coilovers for an econobox like that. Just buy Koni Yellows and use stock springs. Koni Yellows are some of the best aftermarket shocks around.

Give it different wheels and drop it and I think I'd prefer the 86 to the BRZ. It has a more aggressive front and less tacky rear side panels. They do look extremely similar though.

would you buy a 3-series coupe now, or hold off for either the 2012 saloon (sedan) or 2013 coupe?

depends on your priorities.

1.) In a hurry? Want to save several thousand dollars? Get a 2011 or 2012.

2.) Have a perfectly fine car? Can wait 12 more months? Get a 2013.

Of course, if neither option appeals to you, you might want to look elsewhere entirely.

AlphaSnake

You are way too big a fan of the 3.0tfsi. Better than the 4.2 obviously but come on... :)

They need to just be color matched to the car. Dumbest / ugliest spot to put those.

Actually, I wasn't a big fan of the 3.0 when it first debuted. I test drove the 2009 A6 a while back and wasn't terribly impressed - the power fell flat past 5500RPM or so. The revised one in the 2012 A6 is definitely improved, stronger, and holds power longer. It's a great motor, plus it's a beast with a tune. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Guys, let's stop talking about shitty cars...and let's talk about what I just drove. A 2012 A6 3.0 Supercharged.

If anyone has the means to, please go out and drive this car. The ride is heavenly, absolutely heavenly. And yet it handles better than a lot of sports cars, I've driven. I have no idea who the hell developed this car or how they did it...but the ride quality is simply sublime for being such a great handling giant sedan.

Then there's dat torques! 325lbs of it below 3K RPM, most of it comes in at 2.5K RPM...put the car into sport mode or flex those gears manually and the rush of power pushes you into the seat at a mere 3000RPM all the way to around the redline mark (power will drop off as you approach redline, just like most other forced induction cars).

The interior was absolutely beautiful, the real wood accents are gorgeous and much better than the clearcoated faux wood in other cars that tends to get scratched and swirl marks. The pop up navi screen was huge and gorgeous to look at, and next gen MMI is vastly improved over the older cars. I absolutely loved everything about the car - no wonder Audi has been shitting on every other car make and their competition. I've driven the new 5-series, and not only did it handle quite a bit worse, the steering feel was borderline terrible and numb, and the power delivery lacked refinement. Plus the interior, while nice, can't even compare to Audi.

The E-Class...well, the E-Class is really just about the biggest mistake you can make in the midsize luxury segment. Pretty awful in virtually every respect.

The only reason you are wrong about how awesome the A6 is, is because the A7 exists. I want that car so bad. Plan is to buiy the "stock" A7, get it painted matte black, on anthracite black rims, appropriately sized. I never understood why people would buy a luxury car and then trash the ride by putting mental shoes on it. 20-30% tint. Black lace doilies on the back seat headrests.*

My plan is almost complete. Actually the only thing I am waiting on is for my lottery numbers to come up.

*VIP style.

AlphaSnake

The only reason you are wrong about how awesome the A6 is, is because the A7 exists. I want that car so bad. Plan is to buiy the "stock" A7, get it painted matte black, on anthracite black rims, appropriately sized. I never understood why people would buy a luxury car and then trash the ride by putting mental shoes on it. 20-30% tint. Black lace doilies on the back seat headrests.*

My plan is almost complete. Actually the only thing I am waiting on is for my lottery numbers to come up.

*VIP style.

The A7 is absolutely gorgeous. But it's a 4-seater...with the same interior as the A6. Yet it costs $15K more. :\

SonnyBoy

I think they waited and teased people way too long with this car. That is at least partially where the unreasonable hype came from.

AlphaSnake

Aw man...the coupe is nice. :-(

I'll give it a look, but damn...I was really hoping to avoid a sedan this time around.

QQ

The Benz has neither the interior quality, nor the aesthetics of the Audi. Its steering wheel is an atrocity of ugly bug-like buttons. Tons of cheap plastics. Rear legroom that is barely passable for a midsize. Ride quality that is total shit compared to the Audi and Bimmer; bordering the firmness of the Infiniti, and in some cases exceeding it. There's a motor that feels like its gasping for air, despite its 306HP rating (don't even get me started on last year's 265HP motor).

Honestly, the only reason people even get E-Class Benz's is because they lease cheaper than the comparable BMW and Audi.

Zyzyxxz

The A7 is absolutely gorgeous. But it's a 4-seater...with the same interior as the A6. Yet it costs $15K more. :\

Also much less headroom. I am a short Asian guy about 5'3"-4" and I only have 2-3 inches of headroom in that.

Despite how sexy it looks I prefer to look at it from outside and I would stick with an A6 which I find awesome looking enough. Also the $15K I would have spent on an upgrade to the S6 anyway.

Tarazet

I'm at least glad to see the FT86 is a small car. The tendency has been to Super Size every new model, in part due to safety regs, and it's good that Toyota is making something on the proper side of 3000 lbs. again. In 1995 my Celica hatchback was 2415 lbs. and got 34 mpg on the highway. I hope next they make a proper Camry like the late '80s indestructible models.

SonnyBoy

Also much less headroom. I am a short Asian guy about 5'3"-4" and I only have 2-3 inches of headroom in that.

Despite how sexy it looks I prefer to look at it from outside and I would stick with an A6 which I find awesome looking enough. Also the $15K I would have spent on an upgrade to the S6 anyway.

I was looking at used S8's for a garage queen the other day. #drool

The Benz has neither the interior quality, nor the aesthetics of the Audi. Its steering wheel is an atrocity of ugly bug-like buttons. Tons of cheap plastics. Rear legroom that is barely passable for a midsize. Ride quality that is total shit compared to the Audi and Bimmer; bordering the firmness of the Infiniti, and in some cases exceeding it. There's a motor that feels like its gasping for air, despite its 306HP rating (don't even get me started on last year's 265HP motor).

Honestly, the only reason people even get E-Class Benz's is because they lease cheaper than the comparable BMW and Audi.

alright alright. I'll go check out the A6. :)

AlphaSnake

I was looking at used S8's for a garage queen the other day. #drool

A garage queen for sure, you'll never drive it...the maintenance on those old V10s could fund a civil war. They were fun motors, but not reliable at all.

AcridMeat

Banned
What do you guys think of the Volvo C30? I know it's front wheel drive, but I like the look of it and it seems to have a decent amount of grunt, though looking at the prices they aren't cheap.

Gor@n

Neo Member
Interesting to see, but fuck buying German right now. Poor resale, overpriced, reliability is at some of the lowest points it's ever been for Audi/BMW/Merc... bleh. I've lost my luster for German cars, they just aren't bang for the buck.

Don't know where your from but here in Aus European cars have some of the best resale vale, as for reliability it depends on the car i suppose, becuase we have 3 VWs in the family (GTI, Jetta TDI and Transporter Ute) all have been rock solid for 4+ years. Then again we don't service our cars at dealerships, which have the tendency to wait for a problem to occur then fix it before anything happens. I will agree about being overpriced, but imo thats down the whole 'european' cliché.

JackEtc

1. It's a VW.
2. Get a second opinion. it's a stealership.
3. what do you expect when you buy cars from idiots? They do stupid stuff to them.
4. Dont blow $1k on coilovers for an econobox like that. Just buy Koni Yellows and use stock springs. Koni Yellows are some of the best aftermarket shocks around.

1. Yeah, I knew it was inevitable, owning a European car and all.

2. The second we got the car back we began looking for a speed shop to take it to, so we're way ahead of you. No way I'd take a dealerships word for it. Although, generally these guys are really good. The mechanic explaining it wasn't much older than me (20-something) and seemed to know his stuff, and had some aftermarket parts on his GTI he was comparing them to.

3. Actually, from what I can tell, the guy wasn't really an idiot. We bought it from a small used car dealer who got it from an auction (I'm guessing it was a repo), and it looks like it was taken care of really well. He did do a pretty good amount of stuff to it (headlights, taillights, blacked out rear logos, new front grill, coilovers, exhaust), but he kept it tasteful. Being told that he cheaped out on the coilovers really surprised me, the rest of what he did was high quality. Instead of slapping a fart can on, for instance, he went out and bought an entire AWE catback system, which is pretty pricey.

4. I was hoping to get some advice like this. It appears these are the Koni VW MKV Coilovers, but I couldn't actually find them on the Koni site. The Koni Yellows look like a totally different thing (no spring?), so how does one replace the other? I really barely know anything about this kind of thing, so I could use some help. Bear with me if you can:

So basically, coilovers are essentially an entire new suspension, correct? They replace the...shocks(?) of the car? I don't understand how they differ from stock shock absorbers, from what I've seen, they look the same as a normal suspension. I'm so confused...

I just bought a 2012 A4 couple of weeks ago (fantastic car, btw) and the new A7s and A8s that were at the dealership were absolutely beautiful. Would love to own one of those in the future.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
goddamn dudes, the new 86 is a successor to the old 86, an entry level fun car.
it was never the intent to build a world beating sports car. not sure how people were expecting supra levels from this thing. i understand that we
rich gaf
are all grown up and can afford stuff now. but this seriously a case of port begging. they built the lfa for you.

i, for one, really can't believe they kept the 86 in the finalized name. when has the model code made into production name anyway? sure the 86 has a cult following, but it's kinda ballsy to apply.
along with the reverence held for the original, for how long this car has been brewing, it has all sorts of chances to disappoint, even for its niche.

DING DING DING
This man gets it.

Its funny seeing people compare this to the 370z when the 370z itself was overpriced.

1. Yeah, I knew it was inevitable, owning a European car and all.

2. The second we got the car back we began looking for a speed shop to take it to, so we're way ahead of you. No way I'd take a dealerships word for it. Although, generally these guys are really good. The mechanic explaining it wasn't much older than me (20-something) and seemed to know his stuff, and had some aftermarket parts on his GTI he was comparing them to.

3. Actually, from what I can tell, the guy wasn't really an idiot. We bought it from a small used car dealer who got it from an auction (I'm guessing it was a repo), and it looks like it was taken care of really well. He did do a pretty good amount of stuff to it (headlights, taillights, blacked out rear logos, new front grill, coilovers, exhaust), but he kept it tasteful. Being told that he cheaped out on the coilovers really surprised me, the rest of what he did was high quality. Instead of slapping a fart can on, for instance, he went out and bought an entire AWE catback system, which is pretty pricey.

4. I was hoping to get some advice like this. It appears these are the Koni VW MKV Coilovers, but I couldn't actually find them on the Koni site. The Koni Yellows look like a totally different thing (no spring?), so how does one replace the other? I really barely know anything about this kind of thing, so I could use some help. Bear with me if you can:

So basically, coilovers are essentially an entire new suspension, correct? They replace the...shocks(?) of the car? I don't understand how they differ from stock shock absorbers, from what I've seen, they look the same as a normal suspension. I'm so confused...

Coilovers are basically a whole new spring-on-shock system, they replace both your stock springs and shocks. Koni Yellows are just the shocks and you put your stock springs on them, essentially making them coilovers but with stock springs/spring rates.

It's like a computer: just because the case outside looks similar does not tell you the quality of what's inside. All shocks are NOT made equally. IMO the best made shocks are European in terms of performance/quality/comfort: Koni, Bilstein, and KW make some of the best suspension you can buy while also being incredibly comfortable and reliable. I am not a fan of cheap 'JDM' suspension or over the counter junk usually sold at autoparts stores (Monroe, et al.)

Don't know where your from but here in Aus European cars have some of the best resale vale, as for reliability it depends on the car i suppose, becuase we have 3 VWs in the family (GTI, Jetta TDI and Transporter Ute) all have been rock solid for 4+ years. Then again we don't service our cars at dealerships, which have the tendency to wait for a problem to occur then fix it before anything happens. I will agree about being overpriced, but imo thats down the whole 'european' cliché.

It's different here in America.

Zyzyxxz

That 20K mark was a pipe dream. There is no way such a car is going to be less than $23K.

especially in this day and age, we will never get another AE86 because of the safety standards today required by the government.

I think you will definitely but much safer in a GT86 over an AE86 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom