• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halvie

Banned
rofl... forgot to comment on this... GOD AWFUL. For comparison: S2000 and 370z interior.

2008-Honda-S2000-Interior-1280x960.jpg

Wish they would have offered the s2000 as a hardtop (not counting putting a hardtop on one). Eh at convertibles.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
S2000 does 0-60 in 5.1-5.3s with a good launch and the quarter in 13.7-13.9 @ 100 MPH with a good launch as well, bone stock.

Over 1.5s quicker... which is an enormous difference.

S2000 is easily trapping 7+ mph higher than the GT86, no doubt about it. Not even comparable.

GT86 needs turbo so badly. Take it from 160-170 whp to 250-300 whp and it'd be an absolute monster and MPG wouldn't even suffer.
Not even. Slapping a turbo on this car and releasing it at 220bhp/220lbtq would've been sufficient.

Wish they would have offered the s2000 as a hardtop (not counting putting a hardtop on one). Eh at convertibles.

With a hardtop it feels just like a coupe. And the convertible aspect is definitely a plus: it offers a dual-nature to the car, just like the engine is dual-natured. It feels completely different with top up and top down.

Go drive one, it's an amazing experience with the top down OR up. No other convertible compares, except maybe a Z4M or a nice MX-5.

Not even. Slapping a turbo on this car and releasing it at 220bhp/220lbtq would've been sufficient.

Agreed x10

TylerD

21-scion-fr-s-debut.jpg

AlphaSnake's fingers are burning hot from the cheapness of that interior. It's like a demon touching holy water.

I didn't even notice the terrible fake carbon fiber dash insert at first. Subaru BRZ for me or bust if I was considering one. I will definitely go drive one when I get a chance.

I disagree, it's way better than the 350z. And 13812372371x better than that FR-S interior. Holy shit that thing looks BADDDDD.

You are right, but I came from a G35, and I miss the interior of Infiniti. I fell in love with the370Z on the outside, and it blinded me from seeing what was really there. Mind you I have a base model.

Until we see a production model of these cars, and all options; lets not jump the gun.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You are right, but I came from a G35, and I miss the interior of Infiniti. I fell in love with the370Z on the outside, and it blinded me from seeing what was really there. Mind you I have a base model.

Opinion negated. Of course you're going to miss the G35's interior. The base interior of the 370Z is ugly, perhaps even uglier and bulkier than the 350Z's. This is why I tell everyone not to cheap out and buy the damn car with the navi - it simply completes the entire look, and you get the center console that is very similar to the G37 Coupe and Sedan.

AlphaSnake

Just that torque would make this a great car to drive. The VW GTIs are heavier cars, but because they have that down low torque, they feel fast and very fun to drive. Where the hell am I going to drive this car revving it to 5K RPM for every shift? Come on. I honestly can't wait to see this car's full stats and then see its sales bomb.

I want to see a BOMBA happen. Successor to their past cars or not, this thing is still slow, ugly on the outside, hideous on the inside, and likely too expensive to warrant a purchase considering what the market offers now new and used.

Just that torque would make this a great car to drive. The VW GTIs are heavier cars, but because they have that down low torque, they feel fast and very fun to drive. Where the hell am I going to drive this car revving it to 5K RPM for every shift? Come on. I honestly can't wait to see this car's full stats and then see its sales bomb.

I want to see a BOMBA happen. Successor to their past cars or not, this thing is still slow, ugly on the outside, hideous on the inside, and likely too expensive to warrant a purchase considering what the market offers now new and used.

Yeah but the GTI has crappy handling, no LSD, and no top end. It's really only good for daily driving. It's an awesome DD but as a performance vehicle it leaves soooo much to be desired.

But I get what you're saying: GT86 with that kind of low-end torque would feel amazing. And also get even better MPG because you'd only need to rev to 2.5k RPM, lol. A GT86 with that kind of low end torque for daily driving but with nice mid-range and top-end thanks to a fast spooling turbo would be really, really nice.

Subaru, can you hear me? It needs a motherfucking turbo. Something like the K04 on the Mazdaspeed 3/6. And thankfully Toyota provided direct injection so the mpg would be amazing.

AlphaSnake

Yeah but the GTI has crappy handling, no LSD, and no top end. It's really only good for daily driving. It's an awesome DD but as a performance vehicle it leaves soooo much to be desired.

But I get what you're saying: GT86 with that kind of low-end torque would feel amazing. And also get even better MPG because you'd only need to rev to 2.5k RPM, lol. A GT86 with that kind of low end torque for daily driving but with nice mid-range and top-end thanks to a fast spooling turbo would be really, really nice.

Subaru, can you hear me? It needs a motherfucking turbo. Something like the K04 on the Mazdaspeed 3/6. And thankfully Toyota provided direct injection so the mpg would be amazing.

Exactly. That motor + turbo = dat torque curve

Exactly. That motor + turbo = dat torque curve

Dat direct injection. That's the one thing Subaru boxer motors lack: DI. Such a huge difference in MPG and power. Hopefully this motor tech makes its way to the new WRX/STI.

That being said, I can't think of any reason to buy the GT86 over the new 2013/2014 WRX that are going to supposedly be revamped, especially if the WRX is based on the GT86 chassis...

Halvie

Banned
With a hardtop it feels just like a coupe. And the convertible aspect is definitely a plus: it offers a dual-nature to the car, just like the engine is dual-natured. It feels completely different with top up and top down.

I'll give you it will give the car a different feel. I just meant aesthetically. I just don't find convertibles good looking.

Would still consider one because you can get the hardtop, but heard it doesn't help keep sound out much.

Raced against a bunch at the local drag strip. Fuckers can get pretty fast with a turbo :) Think one was trapping 136+ last time I was there.

OT, but wtf at the lambo trap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-Uye2peUc&feature=youtu.be

seems pretty slow for being tt

edit: you guys gotta stop with the gti digs. I hate trying to stick up for the car all the time :)

k03 is the reason the topend sucks. Take that off and it is fine spinning till however high your valvetrain can handle (or fueling I guess for the moment). Put an lsd in. Isn't that expensive, especially if you are mechanically inclined (wish I was...fuck you labor costs).

twin scroll k04 please++

toyta are the ones who spray in more than one location too, right? Will mean no shitty carbon buildup too!

aznpxdd

Yeah, I'm usually not a big fan of tinted tail lights, but hey, it fits the (black & white) theme and it doesn't look as dark in real life. As for the tune, I did try out APR's tune and liked it, but just never bought it since I'm a bit worried about the warranty issues.

Now onto the FR-S interior. So fucking ugly, it looks so bad compare to GT86's interior.

J-Rzez

If you read the article I posted, it does say 1180 kg (2600 lbs). Where they got that from, it's not specified.

I don't have the time to look but on autoblog in one of the BRZ articles recently posted on there a Subie rep or document showed 2700lbs for the "premium" model iirc. It's possible the FR-S maybe a little lighter due to downgraded interior bits.

I'll give you it will give the car a different feel. I just meant aesthetically. I just don't find convertibles good looking.

Would still consider one because you can get the hardtop, but heard it doesn't help keep sound out much.

Raced against a bunch at the local drag strip. Fuckers can get pretty fast with a turbo :) Think one was trapping 136+ last time I was there.

OT, but wtf at the lambo trap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-Uye2peUc&feature=youtu.be

seems pretty slow for being tt

edit: you guys gotta stop with the gti digs. I hate trying to stick up for the car all the time :)

k03 is the reason the topend sucks. Take that off and it is fine spinning till however high your valvetrain can handle (or fueling I guess for the moment). Put an lsd in. Isn't that expensive, especially if you are mechanically inclined (wish I was...fuck you labor costs).

twin scroll k04 please++

toyta are the ones who spray in more than one location too, right? Will mean no shitty carbon buildup too!

OEM hardtop and well-done aftermarket hardtops are very quiet. I know quite a bit about sound-proofing the hardtop and it makes a huge difference. Just need the right seals.

And convertible S2000's are sex, sorry to say. I've had both hardtop and convertible and hardtop isn't worth the money because it's almost purely aesthetics (although it does have some aerodynamic + weight reduction benefit.)

coldfoot

Banned
Needs a halo Lexus LF-B version with the body panels replaced by aluminum/CF, and a turbo engine + DSG. 300hp and 1000kg + LF-A inspired interior, $45K.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Needs a halo Lexus LF-B version with the body panels replaced by aluminum/CF, and a turbo engine + DSG. 300hp and 1000kg + LF-A inspired interior, $45K.

c'mon man. thats low balling it. 50k atleast.

lulz

in other news, my next mod... working on a custom laser cut tablet dock for my car. should be done before the end of january. anyone with an android device should check out torque. car application that works well with any bluetooth obdII sensor off ebay. no more ricer gauges.

dash2.jpg

What fantasy land do you live in that you think a 1000kg Lexus is a thing that could happen?

And I give up on you people regarding the FR-S and the BRZ. So much negativity for a car that none of you have driven that you all had grossly misplaced expectations for. Meanwhile, everyone who drives the thing goes on about just how much fun they had driving it. It's really obnoxious.

Here, have an FR-S lowered on 19" wheels. Not the best pictures and it's missing an overall shot but you can see how just that seriously changed the look of the car.

Halvie

Banned
50K is OK too, it would compete with the 1M and the TT-S while being significantly lighter than either one and would put Lexus on the map for people who're looking for a sporty experience.

no it wouldn't. it would destroy that car. Talk about underwhelming / overpriced...

Falch

So I'll be in Montreal mid february, and I saw that the 2012 Canadian International AutoShow is open to public when I'm in Canada. Is this worth the trip from Montreal to Toronto? I'd love to see an North American car show but I'm not sure how big the CIAS actually is.

Kabouter

http://jalopnik.com/5864209/for-6500-get-teddy-ruxpins-roadmaster
Heh, Top Gear USA's Rutledge Wood is selling his 1996 Buick Roadmaster on Craigslist. Supposedly his wife is making him get rid of it. If I didn't already have three cars, I might be interested. I've always liked these things. I think $6500 is a bit too much, despite the modifications.
5Q55X65R23kb3o83p1bbufe31c864a64f11da.jpg

5Y25P45X03kc3oc3p4bbucf1eed46f8cb16f8.jpg

Dat rear overhang...

Hahahah, he kept it after the show? :D
Edit: Oh, he bought a different one after, that's....even crazier really. Though I suppose the show's Roadmaster was in terrible condition by the end, given all the water stuff haha.

ascii42

Hahahah, he kept it after the show? :D
Edit: Oh, he bought a different one after, that's....even crazier really. Though I suppose the show's Roadmaster was in terrible condition by the end, given all the water stuff haha.
Yeah. I guess he liked the one he had in the show, and needed a family car.

I'd love to see the article if it was the one from the show:
"Some water damage"

BRZ starts at $24,000 for the Premium (navigation, 8 speaker stereo, leather-wrapped wheel/shifter, Limited Slip Diff standard) up to $27000 for the Limited (adds slotted vented brakes, 17 inch wheels, Alcantera leather, spoiler, fog lamps)

not a bad deal.

ascii42

BRZ starts at $24,000 for the Premium (navigation, 8 speaker stereo, leather-wrapped wheel/shifter, Limited Slip Diff standard) up to $27000 for the Limited (adds slotted vented brakes, 17 inch wheels, Alcantera leather, spoiler, fog lamps)

not a bad deal.
The base model is called "Premium"?

I guess the equipment is pretty good for standard, but you'd think Premium implies the availability of a more bare-bones version.

The base model is called "Premium"?

I guess the equipment is pretty good for standard, but you'd think Premium implies the availability of a more bare-bones version.

marketing. no one wants the "base" model....but if even the base model is "premium" it must be good, right?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly as cheap as the interior is all that matters is how tweakable it is for the track. No I am not saying ricing it out. I am curious to how it would handle on the weekends. It sucks that the common belief here in America is that there is no replacement for displacement.
Yeah, but the point is that regardless of it's nimbleness, it costs too much for what it is.

I don't even know what you mean by "the common belief here in America." Cars of all sizes are popular here, but it's rather obvious that you can't really just replace power with something else. That's not to say you need a huge engine or that anyone expected the GT-86 to be a Corvette; I think people just were hoping for something more performance oriented given what the car is supposed to be.

I remember reading this thread where some dude was going off about the GT-86 and how he can't wait to lose those "huge 5.0's" in the turns. I'm pretty sure you can't corner your way around a 225 HP gap unless the other car is some kind of full on barge.

There is a replacement for displacement: forced induction. Hence why so many automakers are replacing large displacement engines with smaller, more efficient forced induction engines.

not a bad deal.

I think the real "base" car is the FR-S, with its low spec interior, maybe it will go so $21-22K? That would be the steal of the century.

Mobius 1

Subaru might be planning a stripped down TR version in the future, but won't risk it right from launch.

Just waiting for the inevitable STI version and I might put the current STI for sale.

TylerD

I think the real "base" car is the FR-S, with its low spec interior, maybe it will go so $21-22K? That would be the steal of the century.

Yeah, it is encouraging that the BRZ starts at 24k because it certainly looks more "premium" than the FR-S. I would definitely consider a FR-S at 21-22k and remove all exterior badges other than the 86 one. FR-S may end up being a bit lighter as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is a replacement for displacement: forced induction. Hence why so many automakers are replacing large displacement engines with smaller, more efficient forced induction engines.

That was what I was getting at. You can still have a performance car at small engine/weight. Having a small displacement engine isn't a great excuse anymore.

ascii42

I remember reading this thread where some dude was going off about the GT-86 and how he can't wait to lose those "huge 5.0's" in the turns. I'm pretty sure you can't corner your way around a 225 HP gap unless the other car is some kind of full on barge.
Yeah, I remember that. Perhaps the Dodge Challenger is a more reasonable target than the Mustang.

TylerD

Automobile Mag 2013 BRZ first-drive

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1112_2013_subaru_brz/index.html

The BRZ is a delightfully fun car; a complete package that combines light weight and great handling with just enough power to have fun -- but not too much that you can only enjoy it for three seconds at a time.

For all the Internet armchair warriors complaining about the meager power output, let us be the first to say: the BRZ doesn’t need a turbo. It doesn’t WANT a turbo. And anyone who says the car should have a turbo is missing the point. Like the Mazda RX-8 and Miata, the Porsche 944 and original Boxster -- and all of those cars from decades ago -- the BRZ is fun because of handling, not because of a sledgehammer that hits when you mash the gas pedal.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I remember that. Perhaps the Dodge Challenger is a more reasonable target than the Mustang.

The Challenger isn't even really a performance car. It's a full-size with a huge engine to make it's affluent, middle aged owner who grew up in the 1960s feel nostalgic. You don't really buy a Challenger to light up chumps and smoke fools. You buy it because it looks cool and you like having a backseat where you have room to get a girl pregnant.

AlphaSnake

This car is still a joke. I don't care. The price point is simply ludicrous.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This car is still a joke. I don't care. The price point is simply ludicrous.

I don't think it's that bad. Look at the standard equipment again on the base model.

The Scion FR-S should be at least a few thousand dollars cheaper.

(I'd still get an Abarth, though.)

AlphaSnake

I don't think it's that bad. Look at the standard equipment again on the base model.

The Scion FR-S should be at least a few thousand dollars cheaper.

(I'd still get an Abarth, though.)

Navigation and 8-speaker stereo...big deal. You can have that with about $800 in total cost and probably have it sound and work better than OEM. And by the sounds of the car's top end...it has none.

kylej

Banned

You want to see the car fail? Why? A long life = more trims. There's already a supercharged (lol Toyota) version in development

Toyota is already hard at work evaluating a high performance version of the new Toyota GT 86 sporting coupe. Chief engineer Tetsuo Tada says that not only is a supercharged GT 86 envisaged, test cars have already been made and are being evaluated by Toyota Racing Developments, the Japanese giant’s in house tuning division.
Tada-san favours the supercharger approach because it is simpler to achieve than increasing engine size and doesn’t wreck throttle response as turbocharging might. Indeed Toyota says that turbocharging along with four-wheel drive and wide tyres are what make sports cars boring to drive.

ascii42

Toyota said:
turbocharging along with four-wheel drive and wide tyres are what make sports cars boring to drive.t
Insert obligatory: and Toyota know better than any other car company about what makes cars boring to drive.

I'm still withholding judgement until I'm able to evaluate the cars for myself. Judging by reviews, I'm optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom