• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

Cloudy

Banned
Alright here's what went wrong offensively:

Too much passing - Unlike rushing , 30+ passing attempts is usually not a good sign. Don't give up on the run. Keep him honest or he'll drop back into pass defense all game and keep picking you off. Even if you go down by a few points, keep trying to establish the run...

Too much Moss - In addition to passing too much, this makes you even more predictable. He got 4 catches but I bet you threw to him a lot more than that...

Try to mix it up more and when you get comfortable with that, you can focus on defense :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ughhh I lost Jamie Sharper for 3 weeks :(

Andy douche beating me in Hockey shouldnt make you feel good,since I dont follow the sport or really know all of the rules.Imagine losing to someone like me in Hockey...

Will you cry? Cause I think you will EffyRodTenkuandydouche.

Cloudy

Banned
Oh and DJ, try concentrating on short passes. Don't even bother with bombs for now (Looking at your stats, you're going for 10+ yds every pass).

This way, you'll get less incompletes and INTs and you'll get your confidence up. Rinky-dink passes with running can be pretty effective :)

Cloudy said:
Alright here's what went wrong offensively:

Too much passing - Unlike rushing , 30+ passing attempts is usually not a good sign. Don't give up on the run. Keep him honest or he'll drop back into pass defense all game and keep picking you off. Even if you go down by a few points, keep trying to establish the run...

Too much Moss - In addition to passing too much, this makes you even more predictable. He got 4 catches but I bet you threw to him a lot more than that...

Try to mix it up more and when you get comfortable with that, you can focus on defense :)

Well, first off, I don't know that I'm passing to Moss. All I know is I'm passing to a guy that looks open. I pick plays based upon what I think will get someone open for a pass completion and good yardage.

I gave up on the run cause Matrix simply waited for me to call an offense, made the necessary changes to D, and had a guy literally two steps from the RB as soon as he got the ball. When I noticed these D changes, I tried audible-ing into a pass play, but that leads me back into the passing game difficulties.

And the very reason I don't do short passes is because I fear INTs.

Cloudy

Banned
Well, first off, I don't know that I'm passing to Moss. All I know is I'm passing to a guy that looks open. I pick plays based upon what I think will get someone open for a pass completion and good yardage.

You can see the WR names at the line of scrimmage by pressing L. Anyone playing the Vikes would be dumb not to have their best DB on Moss or even a double team. Try to spread it around...

I gave up on the run cause Matrix simply waited for me to call an offense, made the necessary changes to D, and had a guy literally two steps from the RB as soon as he got the ball. When I noticed these D changes, I tried audible-ing into a pass play, but that leads me back into the passing game difficulties.

That's good defense on his part. You know you can change the direction of the run play by pressing Y and clicking in the right stick before you snap, right? Also, you can flip the play by pressing Y and the white button before you make the play. What I like to do sometimes is just fake like I'm switching and see what the other guy does...

And the very reason I don't do short passes is because I fear INTs.

You can throw short passes harder and they don't hang in the air for INTs like long passes. If you're not throwing right at a DB, you should be ok. Try that out....

just saw andys "recap" of his game with the bills

andy, you do know that Action Replay is not like gameshark right? the only thing you can do with action replay is download stuff from other people. you can "cheat" in games like PGR 2 or other games that require unlockables to be the best, but you can't cheat at football games. even if you COULD upload an unstoppable fred taylor, the league official roster is loaded onto your xbox everytime you play a league game so that wouldn't fly

Fifty

I'm not sure where Gunstar went...He's not in the recent Madden tourny, so I'm assuming he went somewhere. He plays Maverick, and CP plays HavocJ17.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Fifty said:
I'm not sure where Gunstar went...He's not in the recent Madden tourny, so I'm assuming he went somewhere. He plays Maverick, and CP plays HavocJ17.

I started a new job this week and my hours SUCK. Well Maverick, I can play between the hours of 2 AM and 12 Noon. I can play anytime on the weekend.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
we should just give cerebral the loss at the beginning of the week instead of waiting for the last minute for him to get it :lol

Cloudy

Banned
Is it really so hard to find an hour for a game within a few days of the week starting? o_O

Yes, everyone has stuff to do but it's still weird to be waiting around for the next week to start in an league made up of (alleged) gaming enthusiasts. Oh well, maybe I will feel different when I start working 40 hours again next week :p

ShadowRed

Banned
StoOgE said:
we should just give cerebral the loss at the beginning of the week instead of waiting for the last minute for him to get it :lol

Agreed. Consistantly he has played his games on the last day or two. Most of us get our games in withing the first 3 days then wait around for CP and who ever finally catch up. I think it's BS personally. The play week should be no more than 3 maybe 4 days. Shit it talkes real NFL teams a week to prepare for their next game. I know that it doesn't take a week to get a chair and a hour of free time to pretend you are playing a real NFL game.

CP i know you are busy dude, i myself am in school full time and working 20-30 hours a week as well, so i'm busy too. but the bottom line is i think it would be in everybodys best interest if you resigned as chiefs owner and let guileless or one of the other GA'ers in on it. not because i have a vendetta or whatever, but there are about 18 people per week on average who get their games done in the first 3 days, and then we all have to wait. that's not so bad itself, but then it causes other delays. maybe someone who is delayed this week COULD have played sooner, but since last week was delayed it stretched week 3 out to a friday, so week 4 started on saturday when he can't play. you get what i'm saying.

anyways, if you want to make a 100% commitment to getting the games done in a timely manner i'm cool with giving you another chance, but if you have doubts just resign. it's no big deal, no ones going to hold any grudges. let me know

FrenchMovieTheme said:
CP i know you are busy dude, i myself am in school full time and working 20-30 hours a week as well, so i'm busy too. but the bottom line is i think it would be in everybodys best interest if you resigned as chiefs owner and let guileless or one of the other GA'ers in on it. not because i have a vendetta or whatever, but there are about 18 people per week on average who get their games done in the first 3 days, and then we all have to wait. that's not so bad itself, but then it causes other delays. maybe someone who is delayed this week COULD have played sooner, but since last week was delayed it stretched week 3 out to a friday, so week 4 started on saturday when he can't play. you get what i'm saying.

anyways, if you want to make a 100% commitment to getting the games done in a timely manner i'm cool with giving you another chance, but if you have doubts just resign. it's no big deal, no ones going to hold any grudges. let me know

If that's what you want to do. My sleep schedule has been really messed up, ontop of being busy as hell. Anyway, I'll still try and get the game with Duce done tomorrow regardless.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I say that whoever has to play CP , plays him right after his previous weeks game, so that he doesnt have to worry about fitting a game in his busy schedule... Go CHiefs...

I just read over the league rules and I must say I'm shocked and appalled at the lameness shown. Some examples:

Onsides kicks in unrealistic situations

RISK VS. REWARD. If I go for it on every kickoff I'm risking giving the opposing team a midfield start. Shouldn't be an issue.

- Going for it on 4th down in unrealistic situations

Again, RISK VS. REWARD. It's not illegal in real football to go for it on 4th and 25 on your own 17. Incredibly risky and most likely dumb if the defense has been shutting you down, yes. But illegal, NO.

- Manually moving (not with a line shift) defensive linemen OR moving them off the line of scrimmage prior to the snap to try to sack folks or block FGs/punts

If this is illegal in the NFL then I can see abiding by this rule. Otherwise, STFU and play. Manually moving someone off the line or out of the backfield to pass rush/blitz may give the defense some help, but it also leaves holes in the defense for the offense to take advantage of.....again, RISK VS. REWARD.

You are only allowed 3 "non-pressure" (i.e no pass rush which would end in a sack) scrambles per game. (ProTip: If you find yourself constantly getting pressured, try hot blocking with some WRs and TEs in addition to your RB and FB)

RISK VS.....you get the drill. If you wanna risk your QBs neck, by all means, run with him. I'm sure the very high possibility of losing your star QB for the season is enough to keep most players from doing this too often (besides, as with any offensive play that a player tries to abuse, a competent defense should see it and make them pay for that abuse).

Fifty

You admit you don't know much about football, or the game, but you're saying the rules are shit?

They're all there for a reason.

As Bog said, it's a "sim" league, meaning we want people doing what would actually happen in an NFL game most of the time.

Scrambling is far too easy in this game, with any QB...and they don't get injured or fumble as often as they should...That rule we created was after much deliberation.

I was never involved with the D line stunts issue, so I won't comment on that, but going for it on fourth down, or kicking onside shouldn't be done unless you have to do it, for time reasons or perhaps catching the D off guard during a no huddle drive.

the D-line stunt issues, while i dont like them, i can live with. whatever

but going for it on 4th and whatever in your own territory in the first quarter is a no-no. it's a sim league for a reason, we want it to be as realistic as possible. it will never be 100% realistic. if you make 3 consecutive stops in a series early in the game, you should get the ball bottom line

Cloudy

Banned
The thing with the d-line is pretty realistic, I think. You can't just take one d-lineman and give him a clear path to the QB. You shift them as a unit. If you want blitz, manually move a DB to the LOS....

Cloudy said:
The thing with the d-line is pretty realistic, I think.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fifty

Uh, he meant our rule relating to it. Weren't you the one who disliked the stunts in the first place? Konex was just saying that if you follow our rule, it'll be pretty realistic.

Cloudy

Banned
Fifty gets what I'm saying. The number of sacks by the d-line is pretty high and I think the d-line shift rule helps with that...

I can respect the desire to have a game as close to the real game of football as possible, but there's a point where you have to realize that it's a video game. I mean, if you're trying to sim, why even bother controlling any individual players? Just playcall like a coach would and watch the action unfold based on real NFL statistics. The game gives you the tools to evade sacks, use hot blocks and so on....I just don't see the problem with manual lineman movement...I did it against FMT in a game and he had no trouble trouncing me (and I didn't run up a billion sacks against him).

Cloudy

Banned
The thing is, if it was the other way round and he did it, he'd demolish you just cos he's a better player right now. Yeah it's a game but trust me, if we all played using all the exploits we know, it would be no fun for anyone...

Cloudy said:
The thing is, if it was the other way round and he did it, he'd demolish you just cos he's a better player right now. Yeah it's a game but trust me, if we all played using all the exploits we know, it would be no fun for anyone...

He'd demolish me due to his overall skills in the game, not because of an "exploit" like repositioning players (heaven forbid I control my team of players individually in any sports game). "Exploits" are SWG credit-duping, damage glitches in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. They work every time. Me moving a lineman off the line doesn't work everytime.

Cloudy

Banned
Me moving a lineman off the line doesn't work everytime.

I understand this but if we allow manual movement of individual d-linemen, how can we NOT allow other stuff which isn't technically against the rules IRL like scrambling with the QB all game, ridiculous onsides kicking and other stuff which also don't work everytime but can be deadly when utilized by an experieced cheeser. Is moving individual d-linemen manually really that much of a detriment to your defense? You know you can use the right stick to spread 2 of them to either side if you choose to, right?

Top Bottom