• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

Cloudy said:
other stuff which isn't technically against the rules IRL like scrambling with the QB all game, ridiculous onsides kicking and other stuff which also don't work everytime but can be deadly when utilized by an experieced cheeser. Is moving individual d-linemen manually really that much of a detriment to your defense? You know you can use the right stick to spread 2 of them to either side if you choose to, right?

Yes, I know about shifting in/out/left/right (thanks to you! :) ). But the game allows full freedom to move each individual player for a reason. Next you'll be telling me that in First Person Football mode if you desire to play as a lineman your entire game experience should revolve around waiting for the snap and holding forward on the d-pad/joystick until the play is over.

"Deadly when utilized by an experienced cheeser?" This is just ridiculous. These moves aren't guaranteed to work everytime, nor do they work often. If you practice at perfecting them and get them to happen with regularity, is that your fault for practicing a real-life football maneuver in a variety of situations? It's like telling an NFL coach, well, a flea-flicker would work great right now, it would probably really throw off the defense and give us major yardage, but since no one ever does this in our current situation in the NFL today, we can't do it.

In the end, the rules are the rules, and it's the commish's whim to change or not as he sees fit. I just find it odd to restrict the game in such a way.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Demon, those ARE exploits. In real life moving a D-lineman over would be murder.. running with a normal QB would end your season quickly, but that is not the case in this game..

the rules we have are to make up for the games shortcomings.

as far as going for it on fourth and long early? In the NFL 4th and 20+ yards has a 1% or less chance of happening. In this game? Closer to 20% or so. Also, in the NFL its VERY hard to get points on the board.. so giving up field position will cost you a game. Not so in ESPN.. so the rule.

StoOgE said:
Demon, those ARE exploits. In real life moving a D-lineman over would be murder.. running with a normal QB would end your season quickly, but that is not the case in this game..

I've seen QBs injured on plenty of occasions in this game after big hits when trying to scramble. I think the game accurately reflects the risk from what I've seen, then again, I've only played watched about 2 or 3 dozen games, you guys probably have played many more. Regardless, it seems very subjective.

StoOgE said:
as far as going for it on fourth and long early? In the NFL 4th and 20+ yards has a 1% or less chance of happening. In this game? Closer to 20% or so.
20% is subjective. I've had one 4th down conversion out of like 20+ attempts since I've started playing this game.

StoOgE said:
Also, in the NFL its VERY hard to get points on the board.. so giving up field position will cost you a game. Not so in ESPN.. so the rule.

I'd love to see a comparison how many real life NFL games have had 40+ (roughly 3 TDs each team or some combination thereof) points versus games with less than 20 (one or two TDs for each team). Looking at other games in our online league (aside from my opponents' blowouts), the scores have been pretty low, often being decided by a field goal. Doesn't sound like "Not so in ESPN" to me.

Ramirez

Im around right now,but won't be for much of the night,if Guileless wants it he can have it,but Im up for taking it,doesn't matter either way :p

Maverick

Just an update about my game against Gunstar.

We have been the slow ones this week because I have been having network problems here at school. But that should be taken care of by tonight and we'll get our game played.

Pretty big game too. I really should start practicing again.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Fine, here is the real reason for the following rules:

1) Dont individually move players way off the line because the offense cant. In the NFL if some yahoo decided to do this, the Olineman would adjust.. they dont in this game.. in fact the Olineman will just stand in his spot after you do this. The game does not account for people moving Linebackers to the outside. Thus its cheese.

2) Dont go for it on 4th and long deep in your own territory because its going to lead to blowouts.. playing for stats is half the fun.. boosting peoples stats is not cool.

3) Dont run with the QB because they are too fast. In real life if Payton Manning tucks and runs, he is going to get 3 yards and then his head will be knocked off. In this game, Payton Manning will outrun Ray Lewis and if he is caught, he will stiff arm him.

Fifty

I hear Maverick's network won't let him go on XBL at college. No one's talking about it, but if this means he can't play at all, then he has to go. We finished most of our games in 1 day, and this waiting has driven me crazy.

well, that is a problem we'll take care of if mav can't go.

but, sega is uploading a patch that will allow the current weeks games to be replayed if they suffered from a disconnect (DM vs. Fifty). you can't catch a break fifty!

Cloudy

Banned
Fifty, Sega is adding the ability to reset games on Monday so FMT is gonna delay advancing us till you and DM replay your game. Hopefully, Mav is up and running by then....

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
HAHA poor Fifty :(

Fifty

Oh god. I didn't think I could hate this game more, now it's robbing me of my good fortune. Not the disconnection, as much as the 4 turnovers.

Fifty

Yeah, like that's easy to do. Anyway, the deadline is tomorrow. If this game knows what a deadline is, then we'll (finally!) move on to the next week. He had a perfect record, and I finally got some good breaks against him, you think I want to replay this shit? Hell no, and I'll admit it. Just worry about your own games, and I'll settle it with DM myself.

DMczaf

Cloudy said:
DM is easy to beat. Just stop Alstott and his offense goes to shit :D

*yawn* Looking at your losses, I could say the same thing about you.

Stop Hearst and his offense goes to shit.

here is the decision i'm going with:

1. i'm giving gunstar the forefit win
2. i'm advancing the week forward. i know that on monday the "Update" will be uploaded (supposedly), but i think we should just finish this week out with the old rules and let things play out as they may. it's a lose-lose situation for fifty/dm because you never know WHAT could have happened. but then again we never know what could have happened in any game in ESPN since the CPU seems to decide when it wants your players to play and when it doesn't regardless of what you do
3. from this point on, the "replay disconnected games" option will be a rule. if the network or whatever disconnects you, i will reset the game so you can replay it so long as the game was early in the 3rd or earlier. if the game got disconnected in the 4th quarter, too bad thems the breaks ladies (unless both players want to replay, i dont care)

enjoy week 6 my friends!

DMczaf

I really dont like this, I dont get to play to keep my perfect record while Gunstar keeps his?! I see how it is!

Stop_the_Hate-edited.jpg

well in gunstars case it was a typical "can't connect so he gets a win". if sega could 100% guarantee that we could replay your game, without incident on monday, i would have no problem with it. somehow i doubt that will be the case, and i want season 1 done with as soon as possible so we can start season 2 w/ the new rosters.

p.s. i just played shadow and he lost his connection

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well in gunstars case it was a typical "can't connect so he gets a win". if sega could 100% guarantee that we could replay your game, without incident on monday, i would have no problem with it. somehow i doubt that will be the case, and i want season 1 done with as soon as possible so we can start season 2 w/ the new rosters.

p.s. i just played shadow and he lost his connection

I have no problem replaying my game, I like to earn my wins.

Bog

Junior Ace
DMczaf said:
I really dont like this, I dont get to play to keep my perfect record while Gunstar keeps his?! I see how it is!

At least you didn't have to forfeit yours.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Cloudy said:
Come n get it, Matrix!!!! :D

I'll play ya in 30 mins,11 pm.I need to soak up my madden Texans victory against the Ravens.

Matrix

Matrix

Would anyone like to take the place of the Texans in the league? I hate this game and dont want to play any longer....I'm dead serious,Im done with this game.

Matrix

It not just that,on your second td you pulled that hot route zoom shit on me again so I chose to fuck around after that and I was still able to catch 26 times with Andre over the middle and throw for over 500 yards...Im done with this unrealistic garbage of a game.You have 9 carries for 208 with your backup hb...okkkkkkk.

Does Ramirez have a team? anyone want the Texans,yes they suck,but please take them off my hands.

Matrix

ShadowRed said:
LOL!!!!!!

Why the LOL? I dont like this game,win or lose.

Cloudy

Banned
Well, Matrix didn't even try to play run D and I think he gave up after a while anyways. He only passes to one guy and that's fine with me cos I just didn't give up the big play and stopped him many times in the redzone.

I didn't run up the score or anything but my backup QB had 2 one-play tds and my backup RB had 9 rushes for 200 yds o_O

Fifty

WHAT THE FUCK.

Guys, look at this.

D. Kanell 3/5 169 33.8 3 0
J. Plummer 2/2 29 14.5 0 0
Team 5/7 198 28.3 3 0

PASSING
NAME CP/AT YDS AVG TD INT
D. Carr 34/73 532 7.3 2 3

Matrix throws for 532 yards, on 73 passes........Konex passes 7 times!!!! Whoa.

A. Johnson 26 (receptions) 383 14.7 23 2

None of Konex's top 2/3 WRs caught a pass.

Matrix

Cloudy said:
Well, Matrix didn't even try to play run D and I think he gave up after a while anyways. He only passes to one guy and that's fine with me cos I just didn't give up the big play and stopped him many times in the redzone.

I didn't run up the score or anything but my backup QB had 2 one-play tds and my backup RB had 9 rushes for 200 yds o_O

I only did that cause I was pissed and thats also why I no huddled the whole game.

Cloudy

Banned
I made a conscious effort to wait after a hot-route this game, dude. I dunno what I'm doing wrong >_<

I only did that cause I was pissed and thats also why I no huddled the whole game.

The thing is I just played safe D till you made a mistake (I love INTs :p) and actually did bump n run in the redzone. You won't beat anybody running 2 plays all game, dude...

None of Konex's top 2/3 WRs caught a pass.

The game was over in the 2nd so I pulled my starters cos I don't want injuries :p

Top Bottom