• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

hgplayer1

will Rodriguez come out of the comfy confines of RTCW to play our league game? will he stop inviting me to a game I havent played in months? does he even KNOW that he has a league game with me? the story unfolds!

hgplayer1

ack! another injured offensive player. Drew Henson is out with "Illness - Head" lol

it says questionable so I wonder if Ill be able to play him?

andy you quit because you lost? lol, come on dude. take a look at the play by play! all you had to do was kick that FG on your first drive to guarantee overtime at the end, but you gambled and it didn't work so you lost. i'll give the team to ramirez, but quitting is weak dude. i understand people want to vent and talk about how fucked up the AI is, but dont quit the league just cause you're pissed over a loss. i didn't quit after i lost to you and i guarantee there was more bullshit in that game against me than in the game you just had. man up and take your loss, don't quit the league!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
andy you quit because you lost? lol, come on dude. take a look at the play by play! all you had to do was kick that FG on your first drive to guarantee overtime at the end, but you gambled and it didn't work so you lost. i'll give the team to ramirez, but quitting is weak dude. i understand people want to vent and talk about how fucked up the AI is, but dont quit the league just cause you're pissed over a loss. i didn't quit after i lost to you and i guarantee there was more bullshit in that game against me than in the game you just had. man up and take your loss, don't quit the league!

Yea, look at me, I'm 0-5 and I'm still playing. *sobs* :(

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Cmdr. Solrak said:
wow....just....WOW!!!!!!!!!

Bad ass game gunstar!

That game was a mess. I haven't played ESPN in good while and total forgot everything but what killed me were the Stunts you ran all game, I didn't even have time to throw a quick slant but that may have been because of the lag too. At least the game finally updated.

hgplayer1

some examples of things I think may have pushed him over the edge....

on that goal line play I think it was third down and he felt like his RB got in the end zone and challenged it but it wasnt overturned. I never saw the full replay so I dunno if it was a good call or not. on the 4th down play he threw a pass and his guy for the most part was wide open but the ball was thrown behind him. on the very next play from the 1 inch line I threw a quick pass to a streaking Keyshawn for 42 yards.

I saw a couple easy passes dropped by his recievers and on one of his catches deep in my territory his WR coughed up the ball. I think he challenged another play somewhere in the game that he lost.

on his last drive after he picked up some scary yards and was threatening to break into FG range I went to Dime cover 12 (think thats what its called) and spread my D line before the snap and my D linemen got 4 straight sacks to end his drive.

I would have been pissed too but I didnt see anything that prevented this from being a competitive game.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm not going to say I enjoy the game as much as Madden, but to me it's the same shit after a loss. If I don't feel it was my fault for losing the game I will get mad regardless of the game. Any given Sunday though, no sense in quitting because of it. I'll readily admit that the game I beat FMT in was bullshit. There's no way that Tiki Barber could have done the shit he did in real life that he did in that game, but you don't see him quitting. Well, at least through this we'll know who we can count on when the Madden league starts.

I can play tomorrow after 9 PM EDT or Tuesday, Fifty. Winner is poised to grab first place, may the best man win.

I'm figuring out how to play this game more and more, and I've caught a lot of lucky breaks. I basically need them to stay afloat with a team like the G-Men.

couldn't have put it better than CK did

there are a shit load of problems in this game, but why keep harping on it? we all know there is a lot of misfortune in any given game for whatever team, but lets just have fun, bitch when we lose (who doesn't? i bitch when i lose in madden), enjoy when we win, and not quit the league because you lose a game you thought you should have won

TheDuce22

Banned
Speaking of problems is my game showing as complete? It looked like it was going to time out at reporting results then it went through.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I havent quit the league,I was just pissed and vented last night.Also it wasnt cause I lost,its that damn zoom shit that will be the death of me.

Cloudy

Banned
Regardless of your opinion on how many "problems" the game has, the reason for anyone quitting is a loss or losses. Or do you think we'll see anyone in playoff contention quit? lol

You shouldn't give up so quickly, Andy :)

PS: Holy crap, the Cards blew out the Steelers. Good shit, Duce! I have a chance to move up in the standings next week :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cloudy said:
Regardless of your opinion on how many "problems" the game has, the reason for anyone quitting is a loss or losses. Or do you think we'll see anyone in playoff contention quit? lol

You shouldn't give up so quickly, Andy :)

PS: Holy crap, the Cards blew out the Steelers. Good shit, Duce! I have a chance to move up in the standings next week :D

Well yeah, if the problems cause bullshit losses, it's expected they wouldn't want to lose anymore.

If I'm in playogg contention, and I lost a game because my DB literally just stood and watch a WR torch him, I'd fucking light the game on fire. My record indicates that I am playing well enough to win, and then I would get fucked because of something I had no control over. It's natural to want to quit after a loss. I'm just rollin with the punches here.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Cloudy said:
Yeah, nice job with that too but I don't really think I can pass Gunstar in the standings lol

You never know because the only time I play ESPN is for my league games. So while you are playing more then that, I only play once a week.

konex there is a difference between losing because you had a stupid turnover or got burned cause you called a blitz (i'd be pissed as hell anyways)...

... and losing when you call the correct game, but the loss is out of your hands and your team does some retarded "no defense" shit that costs you the game. again, i would be pissed as hell, but a different kind of pissed. do you see what i'm saying? this is not JUST about wins and losses. it's the types of losses and the reason for them

Cloudy

Banned
... and losing when you call the correct game, but the loss is out of your hands and your team does some retarded "no defense" shit that costs you the game

this is not JUST about wins and losses. it's the types of losses and the reason for them

Give me one example where the 2 folks who quit (Palsy and Andy) or Matrix (who was on the verge of quitting) lost games not because the other player was better that day but because of "some retarded no defense shit"....

Again, I'm not trying get into whether the game sucks or not. All I pointed out was that the folks who will quit, will do so because they don't like losing. I'm still waiting to see someone quit/threaten to quit after a win....

this is in regards to people complaining about losses or whatever. if people lose legit, they're going to be pissed, but not bitching at the AI. when people lose because of joke AI, they complain about joke AI

Cloudy

Banned
I'm talking about folks who end up quitting. Show me where any of them lost cos of "joke AI". My point still stands, dude. Anyone who will quit in the middle of a season just doesn't like losing and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

You can tell me I'm wrong when someone who is winning quits the league because of the AI. Or shouldn't "bad AI" piss folks off, win or lose?

Mrbob

I'm talking about folks who end up quitting. Show me where any of them lost cos of "joke AI"

Ahhh, it's all so clear to me now.

The AI is so busy laughing that's why they run around in circles.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Well I'd love to show you my own losses due to the stupid AI, but 1) Can't save the replays 2) Can't upload them to you.

You know exactly what we mean and you're just playing semantics on us. The people who are winning have to have caught some lucky breaks along the way. As I said, those runs against FMT in week 3 when Barber ran for like 243 yards were by and large bullshit. Last week against MalleyMal, his guys dropped some wide open passes that would have easily been touch downs and kept the game close. Against Duce, his LBs were just retarded against Shockey and they allowed me to get the come back win.

While I sit there and play I tell the other player to actively challenge play calls if it's a first and their guy was called down before the line even though he crossed it, or if the guy was ruled out of bounds when he really wasn't. It sucks that I have to help out my opponent, but that's what it comes down to.

Cloudy

Banned
Wellington said:
You know exactly what we mean and you're just playing semantics on us. The people who are winning have to have caught some lucky breaks along the way.

No, I don't know what you mean and I'm not playing semantics. If the AI was so bad and all it takes to win is lucky breaks, I don't see why anyone would keep playing. The fact is, NO ONE is quitting over the "bad AI" when they are winning. So either it's all about losing or....

IT'S ALL ABOUT LOSING!!! :D

Ramirez

You obviously don't think much of it when your winning...but even in our game yesterday there were times where I was cussing my TV because of my dumbass DBs even though I was up big.

Cloudy

Banned
Ramirez said:
You obviously don't think much of it when your winning

And that only helps to show that it's all about losing. If the AI is soooo bad, it should bother folks enough to quit whether they are winning or losing. There is no way around this, guys :D

Cloudy

Banned
Disconnect Patch is up :)

This feature was just released on the web site. League admins should see a pair of options under the box scores for games that ended in a disconnect. One option will allow the admin to simply swap the winners in case the winner was clear but misreported. The other option will undo the game allowing it to be replayed.

The options are only available within the active week so be sure to resolve any disconnects before advancing. As one user pointed out, the schedule never auto-advances so admins don't need to worry about games not getting replayed before the deadline.

Another reminder: this is only available in regular season schedules. Support for replaying tournament games (including season playoffs since they use the tournament logic) is in the works.

Cloudy

Banned
So there won't be any argument when the admin gives forfeits?

PS: The disconnected games have a red star next to them in the schedule page now...

DMczaf

Sorry cant, im at the computer lab in between classes lol. I had 15 mins open and decided to waste my time on GAF instead of lunch... :(

Cloudy

Banned
Just saw this about injuries that happen in dropped games. It kinda sucks but I think their current solution is for the best :\

Q: Shouldn't injuries that occur in disconnected games be wiped out when the game is reset? That seems logical.

A: Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect solution (yet). Due to how injuries are being tracked they cannot be rolled back at this time. So, our two choices were to leave them alone or reset them completely (ie, rolling back a game makes everyone on each team healthy again). We chose the former. However, we are working on changing injury handling so they can also be rolled back when a game is reset. I don't have a timeframe for that yet.

One other thing some of you astute stat trackers will notice is that the "Longest" stat (punt, reception, etc) will not be reverted if it was set during the disconnected game. This only affects the display of the stats in the game; web stats should reflect the rollback perfectly. Addressing this is currently a low priority since it is an in-game cosmetic issue and does not affect gameplay or the web league presentation.

Q: Injuries should not be reset. Look.... people will just start pullin plugs to save their stars if they go out.

A: Hmmm, that is a good point, but I also agree that a good admin will catch on to this kind of behavior and deal with it.

Rolling back injuries cannot be retroactive since they have not been tracking on a per game basis. Per game injury tracking is being worked on now, but any disconnects that happen before that change is made to the servers will not be able to have the injuries rolled back.

Trades are probably worth mentioning too though this shouldn't be a problem if the admin is on top of things. If you have a trade approved after a disconnected game and then replay that game you will use the post-trade players not the pre-trade players. Keep that in mind, admins.

As I'm sure some of you are beginning to see, there's more to replaying a league game than simply undoing the win / loss columns which is one reason replays are restricted to the current week.

Top Bottom