• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

DMczaf said:
D. Culpepper 0/15 0 0.0 0 2

God damn Ramirez, at least let him complete 1 pass!

It wasn't him all the time, somehow a star like Randy Moss doesn't see a nice open lob coming at him and lets it bounce softly on his helmet. :(

Cloudy

Banned
Am I the only one tired of the TOTALLY unrealistic scores and stats we get when a good player plays a not-so-good player? -_-

I propose Perfromance EQ for season 2. If this bothers you, you're using a power team or you don't know how to play. It doesn't make the teams equal but it cuts out the utter ridiculousness when two players or teams are mismatched from the start. Try it for yourself. EQ with 5 or 6 minute quarters = REAL FOOTBALL.....

DMczaf

Next thing you know Konex will tell the Patriots to bench some of their starters when they play the Niners to not have such a mismatch :(

Keep it fair guys, keep it fair!

Fifty

edit:

Well it would be one thing if I won 65-0 because of my D alone..but that's impossible. Sure I shut him out, but I scored 65 points with my crappy offense. I had no Jamal Lewis and I scored 65 points. Kyle Boller. Devard Darling. Come on!

Cloudy

Banned
Next thing you know Konex will tell the Patriots to bench some of their starters when they play the Niners to not have such a mismatch

Don't get me wrong, I will make fun of the power team players who start losing but this is mainly about stats for me.

I don't care how much of a disparity there is between the teams and players, 60 point games are RIDICULOUS and EQ cuts that shit out along with 300 yd passing games and 200 yd rushing games. If you like realistic stats and scores, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with EQ. Again, it DOESN'T make the teams equal....

If you want "REAL FOOTBALL" stop playing this game and start with Madden.

I'm not getting into a Madden/ESPN pissing match but I'm not surprised a Ravens player might be against EQ :D

Ramirez

DJ man,you wouldn't be half bad if you wouldn't take control of your WRs...just let the cpu catch it for you,its way too hard to try and pass then catch,plus they do some extremely stupid animations when you do that :|

Cloudy

Banned
Well it would be one thing if I won 65-0 because of my D alone..but that's impossible. Sure I shut him out, but I scored 65 points with my crappy offense. I had no Jamal Lewis and I scored 65 points. Kyle Boller. Devard Darling. Come on!

Well, 60 point games wouldn't normally happen in the NFL no matter how bad one team is and they sure as hell won't happen in EQ so that is why I want it. Aren't stats the whole point of leagues?

DJ man,you wouldn't be half bad if you wouldn't take control of your WRs...just let the cpu catch it for you,its way too hard to try and pass then catch,plus they do some extremely stupid animations when you do that :|

I manually catch all my passes. It takes practice though...

Ramirez

I don't have a problem with the EQ thing personally...

I think Madden has an EQ on all the players,thats the only way I can see how Dexter Coakley can cover Randle El! :O :p

Fifty

Yeah, he did that against me too and it never worked. Despite what people say, it is easier to pass in this game than in Madden (unless I'm some kind of god with Kordell in this game) and it's hard to imagine going 0/15 with the Vikings, especially in this game.

Cloudy

Banned
Repost of EQ info for anyone who didn't see it the first time:

(NEW) 29. What does "Performance EQ" really do?

If you have performance EQ enabled, all player attributes get adjusted so there is less difference between a good value and a bad value. What this amounts to is poor players performing better and all stars performing worse. All stars will still perform better than poor players but not by as much as with EQ disabled. So the Patriots will still be a better team than the Browns, but with EQ enabled the Browns at least have a chance of winning.

If you believe that on any given Sunday anything can happen then playing with EQ on is more "sim" than with it off. Personally, I feel that video sports games generally make the good teams / players too good and the poor teams / players not good enough so to me EQ makes the game more realistic because it means there is hope for an upset. People have complained all over these boards that so-in-so is too fast, or this running back is too tough. Turning EQ brings the super heros back to earth and makes those guys who look like they could never land a real NFL job play a little more like a real NFL player.

Performance EQ certainly isn't cheese no matter how you slice it. I think you may have read too much in my words "at least have a chance of winning". You added words like "much better" and "more than just a fighting" when I didn't say that. If you simulated 100 games between the Patriots and the Cardinals with EQ off the odds are pretty good that the Patriots would win all 100. That is not realistic. With EQ on maybe the Cardinals win 10 of them. That is realistic...unless you're a Patriots fan and believe they never have a bad game

The impact to the player attributes has nothing to do with the opposing team. The Patriots with EQ on are the same team against the Eagles as they are against the Cardinals. EQ also does not change the display value of an attribute (ie, on the player card), only what it means in the context of the game.

TheDuce22

Banned

Just for the record, ravens have one of the best offensive and defensive playbooks in the game. Also Boller has insane arm strength. Its eaiser for me to score with the ravens than the eagles when I play online. I wish you could select different playbooks for different teams.

Cloudy

Banned
Make a post in the foum and have folks EXPLAIN why they are for or against EQ. Of course the power team players will vote to keep it off. I just want legit debate on this issue besides "OMG EQ suxxorz!!!!!"

And for anyone who has complained of bad DBs or ridiculous stats, EQ should be a no-brainer....

DMczaf

gays-1.JPG

"I love EQ, dont you?"

hgplayer1

Cmdr. Solrak said:
hg...anytime after 11PM CT is good for me dude.

Ill try to make it tonight but I didnt get much sleep last night so I might just crash early. if you log in and dont see me already online chances are Im sleeping.

TheDuce22

Banned
Make a post in the foum and have folks EXPLAIN why they are for or against EQ. Of course the power team players will vote to keep it off. I just want legit debate on this issue besides "OMG EQ suxxorz!!!!!"

I dont like it, it just doesnt feel right. The goal on offense is to take advantage of matchups. You wont know who to attack. If you see your reviever (one of the best in the leauge) in single coverage against some shitty db that should be a completion.

Cloudy

Banned
I dont like it, it just doesnt feel right

200 yds with a 99 WR every other game feels wrong to me :p

If you see your reviever (one of the best in the leauge) in single coverage against some shitty db that should be a completion.

And it usually is with EQ but not EVERY single time like it is normally. Or do you think TO doesn't get passes deflected from time to time....even if it's a shitty DB? In EQ, folks have to actually play and mix it up to get results. You can't just pass or run 40 times (all with/to the same players) in EQ cos YOU WILL LOSE (kinda like REAL football)

My main reason for suggesting this is stats and EQ eliminates ridiculous stats....

Mrbob

Don't listen to the Sega lies. Performance EQ doesn't help my wide open wide receiver drop situation. If you choose perfrmance EQ, not only are you dumb, but:

You don't know how to play the game of football on your own and you need the CPU to assist you in your on field performance.

Better yet, why don't we all take the Patriots in season 2. I agree with Duce, the point of the game is to exploit matchups. PEQ narrows the gaps in those matchups. I've seen moss get a pass deflected in one on one coverage before against a lower rated DB. In fact, I'd argue that with PEQ on, the best team doesn't necessarily win. The luckiest team does since the stats are so even. If you play smart, a lower rated team can beat a higher rated team.

Now lets rock it in season 2 WITH THOSE POWERHOUSE BEARS OH YEAHHHHHH. Oh wait that actually means we'll finish season one. :(

Mrbob

Your inability to play defense without PEQ on is what is exposed my friend. Because my 78 rated Gage is such a powerhouse. Hey if my precise passing game makes good players better so be it. I shouldn't be penalized because you don't know how to stop me without letting the cpu help you out.

BTW don't quote half of my statement and respond. :p

Cloudy

Banned
Umm, it's not like I lost to you in our league game, dude :lol

I just hate having to play the same defense all game cos the pass-happy or run-happy guys do the same thing over and over and over. That's not real football and EQ makes it so that people have to mix it up for success. I can see why you don't like that from the EQ game we played and I respect your opinion... :D

That's it, guys. Keep the comments coming :)

Mrbob

You beat me on a last second field goal during a time when I would play ESPN once a week for our league games with my precision passing was not totally back. Congrats. If (and this is a big if) you can make it to the playoffs perhaps we'll meet again and I guarantee the result will be different. Besides, you want to talk wins and losses lets not forget the fact that overall I'm 9-3 against you. I've put up 100+ yard rushing games against you multiple times so....?? Even your PEQ win was an abbiration. Saying I call the same play basically shows you really don't know what you are talking about. At most, I may call the same passing play twice in a game. I mix it up all the time. Now, I'll audiable on the fly if I see a potential matchup I can exploit. That's just good football.

Besides, it was one game. And it wasn't your dbs that were even doing the job. Your memory is horrible. Or very selctive. :p Reread this thread or remember the game, I had 11 wide open drops. I still had 280 yards passing. If the game is going to force realistc stats by making my receivers drop wide open passes then I'm not for it. Or the fact that your defensive lineman could blow through my line with PEQ when he can't with it off. Again, if you want the cpu to cheat for your wins choose PEQ.

Cloudy

Banned
- My #1 and #2 are rated higher than your #1 and #2. EQ would actually "hurt" my passing more but it didn't cos I didn't launch 46 attempts. I don't even remember a drop in that game....

- I'm not saying you literally run the same play all the time but your pass/run ratio is ridiculous and you can't get away with that with EQ on..

- My DEs got to you cos you dropback waaay too much sometimes.

- You say it's one game. I agree but you're not gonna beat many people on EQ throwing 46 times. That is the beauty of it IMO :)

I'm rather indifferent (though I did vote for PEQ cause it may give me wins! ;P ). I just have a problem with manual control of receivers, it needs to be fixed. I can understand rushed passes, but I haven't let myself throw until the QB is completely settled and ready to throw (even taking sacks if I have to to make sure I'm not throwing off-balance). The receivers under manual control can not do a simple thing like twisting their torso (or even fucking turning their heads!) to catch an incoming, well thrown, targeted pass to their chest. Instead, it bounces off their backs or helmets, and they often dive in a completely different direction than the pass. I just don't get it. And if let the CPU control the receiver, INT is almost bound to happen. I've managed to get a handle of the running game in ESPN, but passing is just impossible.

Cloudy

Banned
DJ, you know for manual catches you usually have to just time it and hit Y, right?. The only time you need B and then Y is if it's a lob and you have to run to it first. It seems like you are manually moving the WRs off their routes when you don't need too....

Cloudy said:
DJ, you know for manual catches you usually have to just time it and hit Y, right?. The only time you need B and then Y is if it's a lob and you have to run to it first. It seems like you are manually moving the WRs off their routes when you don't need too....

Yea, but when I throw (when I can judge to the best of my ability that a guy will be open and not double/triple covered--and let me tell you this is harder to tell for someone who's not intimately familiar with football than you think) it seems that if I don't take control of them (as I've tried not to several times) they don't even get close to the ball.

Also, as I said before Y ends up diving 9 out of 10 times, even if the ball is heading right to him in mid-stride.

Mrbob

I know you don't remember, because I threw 41 times. :p And I noticed your selective memory kicked in again. You replayed a pass yourself that game in which one of my receivers dropped an open pass and laughed. Fool.

As for dropping back. I have too to give my receivers more time when your DE was blowing through my OLine.

Fifty

DJ Demon J said:
completely different direction than the pass. I just don't get it. And if let the CPU control the receiver, INT is almost bound to happen. .

I really don't think that's the case. I know from playing you that you do far more harm than good by taking control of the recievers. Try not taking control of a reciever once next game and see how it goes. Unless you make bad throws you are bound to improve.

Mrbob

Yeah, I hardly ever take control of the receiver manually to make a catch. Usually have too many problems doing so.

Cloudy

Banned
Mrbob said:
I know you don't remember, because I threw 41 times. :p And I noticed your selective memory kicked in again. You replayed a pass yourself that game in which one of my receivers dropped an open pass and laughed. Fool.

As for dropping back. I have too to give my receivers more time when your DE was blowing through my OLine.

Look, fucker. I was completely civil to you so far so please do the same....

Anyways, dropped passes will happen but at what point do you blame your gameplay and not EQ. I wasn't dropping passes. YOU were and my DBs and WRs and rated higher than yours so I don't see how you can blame EQ. Mix it up and maybe you can have success in a real sim game....

Cloudy

Banned
Yea, but when I throw (when I can judge to the best of my ability that a guy will be open and not double/triple covered--and let me tell you this is harder to tell for someone who's not intimately familiar with football than you think) it seems that if I don't take control of them (as I've tried not to several times) they don't even get close to the ball.

Also, as I said before Y ends up diving 9 out of 10 times, even if the ball is heading right to him in mid-stride.

You have to get the timing right. And Y doesn't dive, X does. Don't press B to control the WR before the bal gets there unless it's clearly overthrown.

Only hit Y as the ball approaches to catch it (and that's not even necessary half the time). Go to the practice mode and practice the timing. I'm sure that'll help... :)

Mrbob

:lol

I called you a fool, oh nos, its go time now! Wait till I dish out the heavy stuff and see if you can handle that. :lol Btw can't you get banned for thorwing an expletive at me?? :p

snaraa2.jpg

Mix what up? A salad for lunch, a sensible steak for dinner? OJ for breakfast and milk in the evening?

Cloudy

Banned
I don't appreciate being called a fool. I will use expletives on anyone who does that and if I'm banned, so be it...

Cloudy said:
You have to get the timing right. And Y doesn't dive, X does. Don't press B to control the WR before the bal gets there unless it's clearly overthrown.

Only hit Y as the ball approaches to catch it (and that's not even necessary half the time). Go to the practice mode and practice the timing. I'm sure that'll help... :)

I'm telling you, Y will make the receiver dive a hell of a lot more than it should. I've made scant few good receptions (hands up for the catch, catches it in stride and continues running) with Y, but the majority end up as dives, for reasons that are beyond my understanding.

Ramirez

LMAO...so much drama...

The way I see it,the best PLAYER will win in an EQ match,not the best team.Which is better IMO,because half of you wouldn't be as good if you didn't have your 100 rated WR to hide behind :D BOOYA! :p

hgplayer1

DJ Demon J said:
I'm telling you, Y will make the receiver dive a hell of a lot more than it should. I've made scant few good receptions (hands up for the catch, catches it in stride and continues running) with Y, but the majority end up as dives, for reasons that are beyond my understanding.

I think what cloudy is gettin at is dont actually switch to the WR, but still press Y as the ball approaches him.

example. A to snap the ball, QB drops back, B button to throw to the B reciever, as the ball approaches the receiver press and/or hold Y.

I think thats what hes suggesting. I kinda do that on defense and I dont know if it works or not its more of a habit than anything but I still do it all the time. I dont think I really ever do it on offense. not puposely anyway.

ShadowRed

Banned
HELL FUCKING NO TO EQ!!!!! Like someone else said why don't we all play as New England. Part of the charm of having a somewhat realist game is that some teams are going to have better players than others and and the lesser team will have to acomidate for their weaknesses in order to win. EQ defeats the entire purpose of a sim league because now you don't have to account for your opponents faster WR. Makes no sense if you are trying to have a sim league. As for the 63-0 games, that has nothing to do with the game, no offese to anyone but the players suck. I mean look at the record of the guys getting blow out, they have losing records. I've never seen FMT, Kon or Gunstarr get beat like that. With Eq these guys will be gettiing blown out 24-0 versus 63-0. This entire debate is a rehash of last season should we not allow people to pick the power teams debate. With the same bad logic being used to justify why not allowing people to chose the dominate teams will lead to a more sim like league. As for the whole sim league concept, while I like it in theory it's not going to work in practice. One being none of us are the coaches of the teams we are playing so we don't think like they do. I have a totally different theory on play calling that the real Raiders coach. I run way more than the Raiders ever do. Second reason is that some people in this league has varing degrees of playing skill than in the NFL. The spread between the good players and the worest players is going to cause some games to come outlopsided. If this was the real NFL some of you guys wouldn't be allowed to coach pee wee let alone a multi million dollor football team. Personally I think this league is the best we can do. I have never played an entire league through in any other league I've joined. The rules are fine as they are and we don't need any no it alls *cough Kon cough* trying to fix a good thing.

Mrbob

Ramirez said:
LMAO...so much drama...

The way I see it,the best PLAYER will win in an EQ match,not the best team.Which is better IMO,because half of you wouldn't be as good if you didn't have your 100 rated WR to hide behind :D BOOYA! :p

The proper way to look at it is the best player will win in a non EQ matchup. You don't have the CPU making up for your deficiencies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I feel bad for you all :p

Ramirez

Eh,whatever...

I just know how most people play and if they have a top rated WR or RB they abuse it...a shitty team might be able to stop him here and there,but in the long haul the best guy will win out everytime in this game.

Mrbob

Matrix said:
I feel bad for you all :p

:lol

I have the freaking Bears of all teams and I have practically played all my league games tough. But then, I love the underdog role with having a weaker team and being able to win against a higher rated team. You gotta be smart against your matchups. Know your personal and their personal. And no, PEQ is not always going to yeild the best player winning. How exactly does having the CPU even out stats relegate in the best player winning? If you have a 93 receiver against a 69 DB one on one, and PEQ allows that pass to get batted down, how exactly is this benefitting the best player? You see the open man, throw it, oh I'm sorry that pass can't be complete because the DB has been supercharged thanks to PEQ.

hgplayer1

Ive always liked the idea of performance EQ but it seems like more people are against it than are for it. would it hurt to maybe run a smaller alternate league with Legend EQ? just to see how the games go? I think with EQ on or off the better player will always win but maybe the people who pick their favorite team even though they are rated in the 70s will have a more enjoyable experience. why bother playing if a higher rated WR is SUPPOSED to beat a low rated DB in one on one EVERY TIME. I cant say Ive played a game with EQ on yet but I think Im gonna try it out to see if it truly makes bad players good, and good players bad. I have my doubts that its anywhere near that extreme though.

Top Bottom