• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Battle of the OST's (FFXV vs ARR:XIV vs FFXIII vs FFXII)

Renesis

Hell, XIV wins in my view even if you limit it to situational moments. Boss themes? XIV (not even close). City/Town themes? XIV. Overworld? XIV. Dungeons? Yep, XIV.

It's really not even fair to include XIV as far as I'm concerned. I mean, we can go forward and back and then forward and back and forward and back but XIV will always be one foot forward.

159.gif

Boss Mog

Out of those four, FFXII by a mile. But i'm kind of disappointed that OP left out FFXI which was mostly composed Naoshi Mizuta and is by far the best FF soundtrack even though it's kind of unfair because of the sheer number of tracks and so many being good.

I really wish Mizuta could be the main FF composer going forward, he's so good. Zi'tah is god-tier.

Fraxin

Hell, XIV wins in my view even if you limit it to situational moments. Boss themes? XIV (not even close). City/Town themes? XIV. Overworld? XIV. Dungeons? Yep, XIV.

It's really not even fair to include XIV as far as I'm concerned. I mean, we can go forward and back and then forward and back and forward and back but XIV will always be one foot forward.

Totally agree. FFXIV is so much better than the other OSTs. Soken should be given a chance to compose an offline FF one day.

https://youtu.be/h4OQDvRBKcE

https://youtu.be/DJqcwGwU8a8

https://youtu.be/znTI2qEc1QA

Kenai

XIV. It isn't really fair though. It keeps getting more and more amazing music added to it as time goes on.

I've been playing FFXV for forty hours and the only tracks I notice are the annoying Spanish guitar themes they play at outposts. Most of the time when you're out in the field no music plays.

FF12 has the best soundtrack for me, I've always been a massive fan of Sakimoto - I think he's the best VG composer out there since the (creative) death of Uematsu.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes, in FFXIV, I queue up for random Trials (usually primal battles) just because the music is so good. Shiva in particular with the way the music matches the battle perfectly. No other game has anything like it

Ecit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=noJiH8HLZw4
Watching it can't really communicate how effective the transition is while playing though

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
XII I think is great and sakimoto's challenge (which I think he conquered deftly) was to create a theme for each area which could capture every potential mood. There is no quiet in ffxii like there is in FFXV. You have pieces that need to play for hours and hours and feel fresh and blend well with the game. Tracks like Giza plains, ozmone, phon coast, and many others DO that better than you'd think possible.

I don't know why people think their own memories are a worthy barometer of whether or not the composition is good in a game. Not to be dismissive but maybe you have a shit memory. I can remember every track in just a few notes all the way back to ff6.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
When the theme for doing a simple repeatable XP quest (Guildeve's) is pretty rocking, you know it's good

But all these games have solid to great music. XII and XIII suffer to me, because it's been ages since I've played them. As such, the songs that pop out to me, at least in my head, are the battle themes for both of them. I remember them having a catchy "hook" to the themes

FFXII
FFXIII

But man, there's so much variety to XIV, which is helped out by the fact they continually add new songs on patches and expansions.

Cmagus

XIV. It isn't really fair though. It keeps getting more and more amazing music added to it as time goes on.
Yeah but that also means Soken needs to be consistent because the more you add the easier it can turn into a bland soundtrack. It really helps that the soundtrack is so diverse but still stays within the world. It's fun when you get big epic themes and then they throw something like Brute Justice at you.I mean you go from nice orchestral landscapes, to huge boss fights to old 80's robot cartoon themes it literally has everything lol.

FFXIV - Brute Justice Theme

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
People hate the Gridania theme??! It's the best one of the three towns!

Uldah is the worst!

tookhster

XV>XII>>>>>XIII

XV has some amazing standouts and battle themes. The town themes are okay. XII was very epic and fitting, and also unique sounding from other FF games. I think the music from the opening CG cutscene is a top 10 FF song.

XIII's music was trash, I could not stand it at all and I don't even hate the game. The same themes over and over again (Sunleth Waterscape) and music that seemed out of place throughout.

DJChuy

XIV > XIII > XV >>> XII

Aside from the boss battle, I didn't find anything from XII's soundtrack memorable. I'll even put XIII-2 and Lightning Returns above it which I greatly enjoyed. XV has a pretty good soundtrack, but the game doesn't utilize them well.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played XIV yet due to the MMO-nature of it, so can't comment on that.

For me it's either XIII or XII. Hard to say, I love them both very much. I think there is more variety in XIII though, and it just feels so much like Final Fantasy. Like it couldn't be anything else, and it's glorious.

XII is incredible, but most of all feels like Sakimoto. Could be a different game.

So XIII wins, I suppose.

XV... Not so much. I very rarely got any strong Final Fantasy vibes from it. Didn't feel like it had an identity. It's just... Quality orchestral stuff. But I struggle to remember any of it.

And the lack of any real overworld music in that game is a shame. I put on some XIII music at one point while exploring the world, and everything changed so much. Took it to a higher level for me.

Such a missed opportunity.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
People hate the Gridania theme??! It's the best one of the three towns!

Uldah is the worst!

I always forget that the towns all have a day and night theme.

Gridania's day theme just reminds me of Hobbiton from LOTR.

jb1234

I always forget that the towns all have a day and night theme.

Gridania's day theme just reminds me of Hobbiton from LOTR.

I just made it to Limsa Lominsa and am extremely distracted by the field theme being note-by-note a rip of a theme from Edward Scissorhands.

ScrapBrain

XIV hands down.

XIII has an alright soundtrack, if some of it isn't repetitive and/or dull at times. XII has a few good songs but every time I hear it, I'm immediately thinking of how I'd rather be listening to Hitoshi Sakimoto's other masterpiece, the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance OST. XV has a lot to offer and shimomura has a real talent for making amazing, catchy tunes and makes me want Kingdom Hearts 3 more than anything. But XIV...oh man XIV. so good

Top Bottom