• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the really formal way of saying your name? Like instead of 私はCornBurritoです, there seems to be a more formal version where the です is replaced with some longer word. To me it sounds like ともいます. But I believe that is just my untrained ear.

Mik2121

What is the really formal way of saying your name? Like instead of 私はCornBurritoです, there seems to be a more formal version where the です is replaced with some longer word. To me it sounds like ともいます. But I believe that is just my untrained ear.
Mik2121と申します (もうします)

Mik2121と申します (もうします)

Ah, thank you. So I was sort of kind of close. The と, is it functioning as a particular in that sentence? And if so, I guess I don't really understand と completely because I thought it was just for linking nouns together.

Mik2121

Ah, thank you. So I was sort of kind of close. The と, is it functioning as a particular in that sentence? And if so, I guess I don't really understand と completely because I thought it was just for linking nouns together.
Yep, the と is there as a connection between the name and the verb. It's not the same as AとB but rather 「これがペンと言います」 (Or more casually, ペンっていう). I can't explain it 100% because I kinda learnt it by talking, but this と is a different one from the one you've learnt.

Zoe

It might help you think of 'to moushimasu' as "I am called CornBurrito" rather than "My name is CornBurrito."

It might help you think of 'to moushimasu' as "I am called CornBurrito" rather than "My name is CornBurrito."

Makes sense.

Anyway new questions (I have too many):
うれしい
幸せな

Are there differences between those words in meaning? Is there any difference at all? Even a subtle one? Both translate to happy.

Also すごい. How does it conjugate for past tense positive, current tense negative, and past tense negative? Is it just the standard: すごかった, すごくありません (I don't know the informal conjugation for past negative) すごなかった?

Cranzor

Makes sense.

うれしい
幸せな

Are there differences between those words in meaning? Is there any difference at all? Even a subtle one? Both translate to happy.

I think ureshii is the more temporary kind of happiness, while shiawase is more permanent, as in "I am a happy person." Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think ureshii is the more temporary kind of happiness, while shiawase is more permanent, as in "I am a happy person." Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I think that connotation definitely exists.

幸せ is definitely stronger than うれしい and I wouldn't say they are 100% interchangeable.

According to dictionary definitions, 幸せ really means good fortune. I believe the English "Happiness" shares this aspect and originate from "happen." Of course, it's not used only in this way, and can also be used to express contentedness about a situation brought about not through chance, necessarily.

嬉しい, on the other hand, is the opposite of sadness or 悲しい. So it's the feeling of joy or something pleasant.

I'd say that 幸せ is commonly used to express a state of bliss. That feeling you have when everything at that moment is going well and you are perfectly content.

Makes sense.

うれしい
幸せな

Also すごい. How does it conjugate for past tense positive, current tense negative, and past tense negative? Is it just the standard: すごかった, すごくありません (I don't know the informal conjugation for past negative) すごなかった?

For that last one, just change the ありません to the informal ない and you have it right.

すごい
すごかった
すごくない (すごくありません)
すごくなかった (すごくありませんでした)

Neo C.

Anyone know a site with lots of famous haikus and senryus, written in hiragana (and/or kanji) with an English translation on the side? I thought it would be easily found in the world wide web, but it turns out that most webpages suck.

Thank you Zefah and Cranzor. So basically the difference in nuance is like the difference in nuance between the English words "happy"and "blissful" or "I am happy" vs "this is bliss/happiness."

Anyone know a site with lots of famous haikus and senryus, written in hiragana (and/or kanji) with an English translation on the side? I thought it would be easily found in the world wide web, but it turns out that most webpages suck.

Sadly no. I do know a site with 100 waka though. Written in hiragana + kanji/romaji and english. Does that work?

Kansoku

I'm going to take the chance and ask. I've seen a few verbs that have different "forms", but have the same meaning. Example: 揺れる, 揺らす and 揺る. And they all mean shake (that's what Tangorin tells me). I also find interesting that the first is an ichidan verb, the second a す godan and the third a る godan. So what's the difference between them?

I'm going to take the chance and ask. I've seen a few verbs that have different "forms", but have the same meaning. Example: 揺れる, 揺らす and 揺る. And they all mean shake (that's what Tangorin tells me). I also find interesting that the first is an ichidan verb, the second a す godan and the third a る godan. So what's the difference between them?

Not sure if you know enough Japanese to read this (I don't) but apparently native Japanese speakers have trouble knowing the difference.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1297622022

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Do you know the difference between intransitive verbs (自動詞) and transitive verbs (他動詞)?

揺らす is used when the something is shaking the object.
揺れる is used when the object is shaking.
揺らされる (passive voice here) is used when the object is being shaken by something.

Kansoku

Not sure if you know enough Japanese to read this (I don't) but apparently native Japanese speakers have trouble knowing the difference.

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1297622022

Do you know the difference between intransitive verbs (自動詞) and transitive verbs (他動詞)?

揺らす is used when the something is shaking the object.
揺れる is used when the object is shaking.
揺らされる (passive voice here) is used when the object is being shaken by something.

I see. Thanks.
So according to the link CornBurito posted, 揺る == 揺れる, so I can use them interchangeably?
Also for some stupid reason I tough that transitive/intransitive verbs always were from the same "type".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I see. Thanks.
So according to the link CornBurito posted, 揺る == 揺れる, so I can use them interchangeably?
Also for some stupid reason I tough that transitive/intransitive verbs always were from the same "type".

Seems right for the most part, but honestly I don't see "揺る" used much.

A quick Google search even shows 26,400,000 for 揺れる and just 304,000 for 揺る (many of which are probably partial hits for "揺るぐ."

Kansoku

Seems right for the most part, but honestly I don't see "揺る" used much.

A quick Google search even shows 26,400,000 for 揺れる and just 304,000 for 揺る (many of which are probably partial hits for "揺るぐ."

lol, first time seeing 揺るぐ. It's the same as 揺らす?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol, first time seeing 揺るぐ. It's the same as 揺らす?

揺るぐ (揺らぐ also exists) would be intransitive, like 揺れる/揺る.

揺るがす (no ゆらがす form for whatever reason) would be the transitive form.

No idea why there are so many variants on this word. Some do seem to be used more commonly than others in certain contexts, but I think you'd be safe primarily sticking to 揺れる and 揺らす when using it.

Kansoku

Thanks. This really bothers me for some reason. This and some words having different implications (Like happy up there) are my major struggles right now. I wish there was some sort of database that explained these stuff, because dictionaries (At least Tangorin and Denshi Jisho) aren't that clear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. This really bothers me for some reason. This and some words having different implications (Like happy up there) are my major struggles right now. I wish there was some sort of database that explained these stuff, because dictionaries (At least Tangorin and Denshi Jisho) aren't that clear.

I think you really just have to learn through exposure to really get it. Explanations and dictionary definitions can only take you so far. The best way is to read and hear lots of sentences in which the word is used. Google can help you with that you an extent!

Yeah that's why usually visiting a country where the language is spoken is often crucial after a certain point, or at least getting instruction from a native speaker. You can converse with people and then get feedback on the subtle nuances. Of course with the internet, that's probably less crucial. Now you can ask online for help.

edit: Another question. I suppose I still have trouble with "ga" vs "wa."

Anyway I am watching a J-drama and this sentence came up "いいえ私がいく." This isn't the first time I've heard that sentence before. Why is "ga" used as the particle in that sentence instead of "wa"? Emphasis? In both contexts the implication was that the other person being talked to was supposed to stay behind. So I'm guessing "wa" would mean like "I'll go (and if you want you can come)" whereas "ga" is "I'll go (and don't come with me)?"

Well, my university offers courses and degrees in translation and interpreting which often include NAATI accreditation. But even besides that, you do need a high level of language proficiency for translation and majoring in Japanese is a great way to improve proficiency, especially if you go on exchange. If you can do two majors, it might be worth expanding into a different field as a fall back option as a lot of translation work is freelance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for majors that compliment a major/minor in Japanese well? And, is there anyone here who studied Japanese at college that did not have the desire to ( or does not currently) work in the video game/anime industry or teach?

Right now, I'm considering a B.S in Sustainability, or a B.S. in Science Technology and Society. I am wondering if anyone has any input on the professional viability of those degrees when accompanied with a Japanese language proficiency...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Does anyone have any suggestions for majors that compliment a major/minor in Japanese well? And, is there anyone here who studied Japanese at college that did not have the desire to ( or does not currently) work in the video game/anime industry or teach?

Right now, I'm considering a B.S in Sustainability, or a B.S. in Science Technology and Society. I am wondering if anyone has any input on the professional viability of those degrees when accompanied with a Japanese language proficiency...

I did Business+J-go. Been nothing but a nice steady climb in my career for nearly a decade. Never did animu, vidya, or "teaching." The degrees you're looking at seem quite specialized, try not to corner yourself in.

I did Business+J-go. Been nothing but a nice steady climb in my career for nearly a decade. Never did animu, vidya, or "teaching." The degrees you're looking at seem quite specialized, try not to corner yourself in.

thanks. Could you elaborate on the business part? What is best? Econ, Acountancy, supply chain, does it really matter?Also , does B.A. vs B.S really matter; as it pertains to employability?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It matters because there's dumb concentrations like "international business" or "management" which amount to fuck all. With business, know what you want, aim your mind toward it, and shoot. Do you want to work in marketing? accounting? finance? Pick one and do it. Don't try to be some jack of all trades, which is essentially what a BA is. I'd say Economics is the only one where a BA is doable, but only if coupled with something else, mathematical finance for example. Build your resume of internships and experience early and never stop.

There is no "best" in that you should also make your choice based on the strength of your school's programs, the location, and your ability to network with opportunities in Japan (I'm assuming your goal is work in Japan, though there can be local opportunities depending on location). You should also thoroughly research that field in Japan and understand what sort of role a foreigner with a certain skillset would have, or if they're even in demand. Check out how local offices of companies handle people interested in working in international subsidiaries. Try to have a clear map of how your entry into the world is going to look like, otherwise you'll graduate and say "well, I guess now I have to do JET to get there." Make sure to take the language study seriously, and go beyond what the school's curriculum has. Of course, there are fields out there where J-proficiency is not as important, like IT, where I've had friends with next to no foreign language ability secure long-term positions.

Really it depends what you want to do. If your proficiency is high enough you can work in a range of areas in Japanese. Eg. My friend studied systems engineering and went on to work for a apps company in Tokyo. You should check out any Japan job fairs in your county to see what kind of jobs there are (that's how my friend found his position). You should also think about whether you want to live in Japan or not, because some positions may be difficult to find in Japan (or out of Japan).

I combined Japanese with Asian studies and Korean because I'm interested in working in foreign affairs, but to be honest looking at jobs and internships in Japan there's more available in business/science/technology fields.

Kansoku

edit: Another question. I suppose I still have trouble with "ga" vs "wa."

Anyway I am watching a J-drama and this sentence came up "いいえ私がいく." This isn't the first time I've heard that sentence before. Why is "ga" used as the particle in that sentence instead of "wa"? Emphasis? In both contexts the implication was that the other person being talked to was supposed to stay behind. So I'm guessing "wa" would mean like "I'll go (and if you want you can come)" whereas "ga" is "I'll go (and don't come with me)?"

I might be talking out of my ass here, but the way I see it it's like, "I need to go to the market, would you mind taking care of the children", "No I'll go to the market for you".
I think the topic hasn't changed, it is still about going to the market, but what's changing it's who will go. But then again, I'm just a beginner, I have no idea if I'm right.

Neo C.

Yep :)

http://etext.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/hyakua.html
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/hvj/hvj002.htm

Link 1 has: Kanji/hiragana + Romaji + English translation
Link 2 has: Romaji + English Translation

I happen to like the translations of Link 2 better.

Thanks. I've just bought a collection of 100 tanka (which seem to be waka) for cheap, but having them online is nice for reading them everywhere. :)

Gonna make some gifts including a written waka, without explanation for me being elitist. XD

Cranzor

Never did animu, vidya, or "teaching."

I think you just summarized your opinion on teaching English in Japan pretty well there. Any reason why you think that? I'd love to do a program like JET after college, but not if I wouldn't actually be making any difference.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think you just summarized your opinion on teaching English in Japan pretty well there. Any reason why you think that? I'd love to do a program like JET after college, but not if I wouldn't actually be making any difference.

It seems like, for the most part, you won't be making a difference. I've never done teaching, either, but everything I've heard from people who did JET was that they didn't really teach anything. They were just there as a pronunciation companion to the Japanese English teacher, who really wasn't any good at English, anyway.

I'm sure there are plenty of cases where the above is not true, but it does seem like, for the most part, you're going to help teach English with a teacher and a group of students who are simply not interested.

I'm an expert

Actually, sorry, my forum manners won't let me post such a giant post that's off topic. I'll pm you my answer lol.

Short version: Japan's English teaching system is in need of major reform and most English teachers are bums. Shazam!

Actually, sorry, my forum manners won't let me post such a giant post that's off topic. I'll pm you my answer lol.

Short version: Japan's English teaching system is in need of major reform and most English teachers are bums. Shazam!

Hmm, I'm actually really interested in this too. Mind sending me that PM as well?

I'm an expert

Sent. The reasons I edited it out are 1) it's fuckin long, and 2) it kind of calls out other posters on this forum and I'd rather not deal with that. There's a reason I avoid the teaching in Asia thread lol.

Edit: I'm actually getting some messages requesting what I wrote, so I figured I'd add a small section here summarizing my thoughts. I realize that the big message I wrote doesn't even properly address the topic of whether or not the "teaching" is teaching.

The truth is, the English teaching system in Japan is a mess. From the classes offered in public schools, to the private eikaiwas, to the international schools. There's no uniformity or set standards. The Monbushou has been making a ton of changes lately but they amount to little. The gist of English teaching in Japan is still this: hire native speaker with little or no teaching experience, plop them in random classroom to either assist a Japanese teacher or make "lessons" and sell books. Most people who do JET or an eikaiwa are 20 somethings that have little life experience, let alone the experience to properly function in a foreign country, and are simply using the teaching avenue as a way to - escape their current lives, make money, temporarily travel and party. There are people with genuine educational backgrounds that go there with honest intentions, but they are the minority. The issue is that the system allows for people to take advantage of it, and it's been hard for Japan to try to find a way to up its standards without scaring away foreigners. Japan does want foreigners to come to its country, and it does honestly believe that the foreigners it brings to the more rural parts of the country enlighten their citizens about the ways of the world. The problem is the poor students don't know if they're getting an adult as a new teacher or a college slob who can finally fulfill his dream of seeing a real anime movie in a Japanese theater! The women English teachers I met were far more interesting and diverse than their male counterparts, but were always subjected to so much harassment and inequality that they either left as soon as they could or simply stuck with the job because of the money.

I'm an expert

Haha, I'll just post the damn thing. Seriously, I'm not writing anything mindshatteringly amazing or provocative. I'd actually rewrite a lot of this, but whatever here it is unedited:

(Everything below is simply my personal opinion from personal experiences. I apologize for the length. Background: Lived in 6 different prefectures from 02-03, and 05-12, wife was a manager of GEOS when we met)

I've probably made a bunch of random posts on the topic over the years, but never really a single, concise post. Just to be clear, I didn't know much about the English teaching industry before I went to J-land to work. The head of my Asian studies department at school happened to be a member of the JET committee for the NYC consulate, and some of my classmates did end up doing it, but it was never really a thought for me.

After living there for so many years, I have had many experiences with the foreign teacher population. In general, my opinion is the majority of people who do English teaching take advantage of the entire situation for their own personal gain. They are usually not there to pursue knowledge or experience in the educational realm, nor there to promote their native culture and genuinely exchange information with the locals. They are usually there for an entirely different reason, which will be accomplished in a short amount of time, and then they leave. Those that do stay (whom we usually call lifers) simply realized that they had such a good situation that it was ridiculous to think of going back to their home country where they were almost surely going to be making less money while doing more work. Some also really get used to the "rock star" lifestyle they have there, and some find that living in Japan "fits" more with them than their home country (usually introverts).

Here are some reasons I've seen people use as an excuse to come "teach" in Japan: pay off loans, stop-gap between real job, stop-gap between grad school, want to party, want to travel Asia, no idea what to do, want to play games and watch anime, cannot get women in their home country, cannot find job in their home country, want to become fluent in Japanese.

Just to be clear, it is VERY easy to live and teach in Japan. You need a college degree. The end. You do not need any teaching background or experience whatsoever. How could anyone possibly be a teacher like that? Easy, you know English, so just teach it like you speak it.

How do you get there? You apply to a job, whether JET, an eikaiwa, an international school, whatever. If you get the job, they sponsor you, you come, that's it. The issue with "teaching" in Japan is there's no uniformity. Some people will actually teach, some people will never remotely do anything near teaching. They'll still try to convince you that they "work" because they prepare lessons! and make worksheets! and help kids after class! but they do that shit because they have to. The state of English teaching in Japan is honestly abysmal and completely dependent on how that specific school in that specific location handles it. Not to mention SO MANY of the English teachers there never take the time to learn Japanese. They waste their time doing so many other "extracurricular" things that they can't handle the simplest of life's tasks and burden others. It should be obvious I have been asked countless times by English teachers to help them do something because they had no idea how to.

Some people will say JET is more of a cultural exchange, which can definitely be true. I met a JET from Canada who was a music teacher at home. The stories I heard about this guy were amazing. He left his job and came to study Japan's education system. He put his heart and soul into his lessons. Then I met the majority of his "co-workers" from the same prefecture who did nothing but bar crawl the same 3 pubs every weekend, or set up rotating house parties at their places, or used every single last second of their nenkyuu to hit up a new a southeast Asian country every month. And then they left. Teaching in Japan was just their way of funding all that.

Honestly I could go on, and on, and on through my years there with stories that range from sad to insane, but this post is long enough. To sum it up, I think most foreigners teaching in Japan are taking advantage of the system and use it as either a stepping stone to accomplish their goals (whether that's to transition to a different field or simply live in Japan forever) or that use it as a way to chill and hang out while they save some money. If there was any other qualification than "native English speaker" than I'm sure my opinion would be much different. Alas, there are plenty of prominent posters on this forum who have taught English in Japan. I'm sure they are wonderful people with good intentions. But I wonder what their underlying motive was to go in the first place. Or, if they're still there, why are they still doing it? Married a local and can't do anything else due to language is the usual response. Hence, English teaching is the default way of supporting themselves, rather than something they actually want to do.

Japan really needs to reform the entire system. And I do apologize to the many, many teachers that are actually doing a wonderful job there. This post is obviously filled with many generalizations. But, in my experience, the amount of people taking that job seriously are much fewer than those that simply do it because they have to. If you want to go teach eventually, just ask yourself why you're doing it, especially if education is not even the field you plan to be in.

TLDR: Be a CIR instead!

I'm an expert

But those are harder to get and actually require proficiency, right? :\

I had the pleasure of meeting many CIRs, and became genuinely good friends with one from Australia. They are quite the different breed, usually much, much more presentable and knowledgeable. Some were definitely J-proficient, but some were also surprisingly weak. The German and American CIRs seemed to not be as adept as other nationalities. I feel like some were JLPT1 level while some would barely crack 2. I'm not sure how they screen you though during the process.

Thanks.

Also does anyone know a site that breaks down the different counter words?

I know "mai" is used for flat objects. Like stamps or pieces of paper. "ichimai, nimai, sanmai"

IIRC humans are "hitori, futari, sannin, yonin, gonin, etc..."

But then I've heard "dai ichi, dai ni, dai san" for abstract but discrete things like phases (first phase of the plan). What else is "dai" used for?

And then there are others apparently like "sai" for age, and then far more. I need a good site that lists them and explains them.

edit:

Another question. What's the difference between わかる and 知る. I've heard that the former is more for "I don't understand" and the latter being for "I do not know." But I've heard the former used in contexts where it clearly meant "I don't know."

Cranzor

I own both Genki textbooks and workbooks but I'm in a really weird situation in which they're basically unusable. So I'm wondering, how is TextFugu? I checked it out not too long ago but I was pretty turned off by the beginning part where it tells to come up with goals and such. I kind of just want to get into the meat of it. I'd be willing to try it if the actual textbook part is good though.

hitsugi

I own both Genki textbooks and workbooks but I'm in a really weird situation in which they're basically unusable. So I'm wondering, how is TextFugu? I checked it out not too long ago but I was pretty turned off by the beginning part where it tells to come up with goals and such. I kind of just want to get into the meat of it. I'd be willing to try it if the actual textbook part is good though.

If you don't mind, what makes the books unusable for you?

Cranzor

If you don't mind, what makes the books unusable for you?

I have had a stupid booklice problem for MONTHS and they won't go away. I've even frozen the books to seemingly no effect. Every once in a while I'll think that maybe they're gone and I'll use the books for a few days until I see one. It completely kills my motivation to study.

Like I said, it's a really weird predicament I'm in.

Stuart444

Textfugu is good, the beginning is slow but it builds up nicely. If you don't mind missing some references to previous sections, feel free to skip about section wise.

Only downside is not all the sections have good names so you may not know what is in the section til you start looking at it but here is the lesson menu names of each section:

http://www.textfugu.com/lessons/

Currently in Season 5 myself though I have taken a look at some of the later stuff as well. It's easy enough to understand imo.

So, can I get some recommendations from this thread on bite-sized Japanese study references online?

To give you an idea of my level, I took four semesters of Japanese but have since gotten rusty. I work in a kitchen so my days average 12 to 14 hours, and I think my Genki books are a little more inconvenient for me than online sites.

I'm gonna look around myself, but any ideas?

Apparently 青 can mean "green" and "blue" with the exact same pronunciation (ao). Does Japan have a large % of people that are blue/green colorblind? What's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom