• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:
I use ore (I know you love it!)

as you want, construction laborer san! having cup noodle for lunch again today?

oh, and I saw the most hilarious rirakkuma at the kombini the other day

I love the face on itazura bear :lol

2417910411_9502af2d7d_o.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
tnw said:
as you want, construction laborer san! having cup noodle for lunch again today?

oh, and I saw the most hilarious rirakkuma at the kombini the other day :lol

2417910411_9502af2d7d_o.jpg

washi is the best because I sound like a bitter(or drunk) old man

I am telling you got all that stuff on my phone..
and I got the mug! boo-yah!!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
tnw said:
If you're worried about speaking like a woman, watch the news. I'm pretty sure she's not littering her speach with atashi, desu wa, and kashira (although only the first one is truly a feminine word)

I'm not concerned about my using feminine words, because I usually know which words/prefixes/whatever are feminine and which ones are not, but rather, my speaking in a feminine tone. My Japanese teacher herself doesn't even like to use feminine words. She used to be called "banchô" in highschool :D. Not to say she's a tomboy though.

Take your average anime: surely, a grown-up man won't speak like a twenty-year-old girl, right? Well, that's what I meant.

[EDIT] Watashi is kinda boring, yeah. And too long, to boot. But what are you supposed to say when you don't want to sound like either a macho man (ore), or a 12-year-old (boku), or an old man (washi)? Doesn't watashi sound boring even to the Japanese themselves? I just don't like it, but I use it, for lack of a better pronoun.

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:

dayum! you ate a lot of shitty lawson food pretty quick!

I'm almost there. I think I still have time >_> <_<

I just love the interaction between the two of them

'you eatin't that shit I told you not to?'

'*chews food loudly* ehmmehmm'

Blackace

tnw said:
dayum! you ate a lot of shitty lawson food pretty quick!

I'm almost there. I think I still have time >_> <_<

I just love the interaction between the two of them

'you eatin't that shit I told you not to?'

'*chews food loudly* ehmmehmm'

Yeah they rock. Hopefully they will have more lasting power than tarepanda or badtz (rip) maru

Blackace

Kilrogg said:
[EDIT] Watashi is kinda boring, yeah. And too long, to boot. But what are you supposed to say when you don't want to sound like either a macho man (ore), or a 12-year-old (boku), or an old man (washi)? Doesn't watashi sound boring even to the Japanese themselves? I just don't like it, but I use it, for lack of better pronoun.

use oira, or ora! problem solved!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Blackace said:

Sure. But I don't think I'll ever get used to being called "inakamono". Must be too long or something. Don't want to sound like Songokû either.

[EDIT] Aw, fuck it. I'll use "ware" from now on. I want everything I say to sound like a proverb!

Blackace

Kilrogg said:
Sure. But I don't think I'll ever get used to being called "inakamono". Must be too long or something. Don't want to sound like Songokû either.

[EDIT] Aw, fuck it. I'll use "ware" from now on. I want everything I say to sound like a proverb!

oira is actually more thought of as Osaka standup...

besides what you are complaing about at least in Japanese we have choices!

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:

I use boku at work, and so do a lot of my coworkers. A lot of them will say watakushi domo and stuff on the phone, but I never do. I usually try to refer as little as possible to myself or the other person/people when I'm speaking. Japanese has plenty of ways of working around it.

Blackace

tnw said:
I use boku at work, and so do a lot of my coworkers. A lot of them will say watakushi domo and stuff on the phone, but I never do. I usually try to refer as little as possible to myself or the other person/people when I'm speaking. Japanese has plenty of ways of working around it.

I don't know why I never did like the way "boku" fit for me..

whenever I am in a situation to use watakushi I forget.. :lol :lol

Furoba

Blackace said:

Even old suits, professors,... use boku, I don't see what the problem is with the word.

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:

I don't hear that often. My old cranky supervisor would use it all the time to throw his weight around. Never really heard it other than a few times outside of him.

Even old suits, professors,... use boku, I don't see what the problem is with the word.

cuz he wants to be a construction chief for Mitsui!

Blackace

Furoba said:

I am not saying don't use the word.. I just don't feel right saying it. it isn't me I guess

Blackace

tnw said:
cuz he wants to be a construction chief for Mitsui!

because I coach basketball and bounce at nightclubs I guess.. :lol

tnw

Banned
Blackace said:
I am not saying don't use the word.. I just don't feel right saying it. it isn't me I guess

people in my office will say ore to equals in a casual situation. The two guys near me where I work now are in charge of the korean business segment. So weird to hear Japanese people sound somewhat competant in a language I don't understand, and then hear them switch to 'ore? iyada yoo, baka omae'

Blackace

tnw said:
people in my office will say ore to equals in a casual situation. The two guys near me where I work now are in charge of the korean business segment. So weird to hear Japanese people sound somewhat competant in a language I don't understand, and then hear them switch to 'ore? iyada yoo, baka omae'

I get in "omae" mode sometimes... just from dealing with my students and baketball students.. :lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
tnw said:
I usually try to refer as little as possible to myself or the other person/people when I'm speaking. Japanese has plenty of ways of working around it.

Yeah, definitely, and that's actually what I plan to do.

Furoba said:

Eh, well, going by what my banchô, I mean teacher said, "boku", while very common in some areas (especially Tôkyô, IIRC), still sounds like the person is a little boy to her. When I was a bit younger (18 or so), she'd jokingly say that my friend who was learning Japanese with me (same age) could use "ore", but I should use "boku" because it's more fitting for me (as in: "you're like a little boy to me", evil, evil teacher :(). I always assumed (and still assume) that, being Japanese, she's right about the whole "boku = little boy" thing, but hey, she's from Gunma, so all the guys from Tôkyô sound like girls to her :D.

[EDIT] Do they often use "jibun", or is that really too humble and/or literary?

Blackace

Kilrogg said:
Yeah, definitely, and that's actually what I plan to do.

Eh, well, going by what my banchô, I mean teacher said, "boku", while very common in some areas (especially Tôkyô, IIRC), still sounds like the person is a little boy to her. When I was a bit younger (18 or so), she'd jokingly say that my friend who was learning Japanese with me (same age) could use "ore", but I should use "boku" because it's more fitting for me (as in: "you're like a little boy to me", evil, evil teacher :(). I always assumed (and still assume) that, being Japanese, she's right about the whole "boku = little boy" thing, but hey, she's from Gunma, so all the guys from Tôkyô sound like girls to her :D.

I don't hear boku that much, outside of little boys. but some men do use it..

tnw

Banned
pssh, I lived in gunma for a little while. They try and act like they have a dialect. They so don't. They've got the whole desu ka > n? thing, but that's about it. (tabemashita ka > tabetan?)

anyway, I would say that boku sounds more 'preppy' then anything else. Like 'oh, he looks like he's going to be a successful upright contributor to society!' whereas ore is more like 'ohhh, he's got a dark streak to him'. even if it's only slightly so.

and yeah, sports coaches :lol

I could be off though. I'm just going by my experiences. In any case, I feel most comfortable saying boku. I certainly don't feel comfortable referring to myself in third person like a lot of japanese people do >_>

I use jibun pretty often, especially when I want to refer to myself in a more indirect way. you can say honnin too, but that's more of a written thing. My last company had a bizarre way of referring yourself in written form that they don't use outside of the company. When I started my new job now, I would accidentally use it sometimes :lol

Blackace

tnw said:
pssh, I lived in gunma for a little while. They try and act like they have a dialect. They so don't. They've got the whole desu ka > n? thing, but that's about it. (tabemashita ka > tabetan?)

anyway, I would say that boku sounds more 'preppy' then anything else. Like 'oh, he looks like he's going to be a successful upright contributor to society!' whereas ore is more like 'ohhh, he's got a dark streak to him'. even if it's only slightly so.

and yeah, sports coaches :lol

I could be off though. I'm just going by my experiences. In any case, I feel most comfortable saying boku. I certainly don't feel comfortable referring to myself in third person like a lot of japanese people do >_>

I use jibun pretty often, especially when I want to refer to myself in a more indirect way. you can say honnin too, but that's more of a written thing. My last company had a bizarre way of referring yourself in written form that they don't use outside of the company. When I started my new job now, I would accidentally use it sometimes :lol

3rd person is odd.... if I made a mistake and someone has trouble with the meaning.. "who did that?" I will refer in 3rd person.. but some people speak in 3rd person all the time.. all I can think about is Bob Dole when I hear them speak..

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Blackace said:
How do you get the mug? Stroll in with 20 stickers or is there shit to fill out?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
tnw said:
I think &#12358;&#12385; can be used like &#33258;&#20998;&#65311; I'm not too sure but that's what I've gathered... Confused the fuck out of me at first since one of the schools I go to is &#23431;&#26234;&#23567;&#23398;&#26657;

tnw

Banned
you can use uchi. you can also say kocchi (socchi is also another good way of indirectly referring to the other person). depends on the context and the person I guess. I don't say them very often.

I remember when i was involved in a car accident, one of the old women kept referring to me as 'otaku', which means 'you', but as I'm sure you can imagine, I just kept hearing the other meaning....

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
tnw said:

Well, straight from my teacher's mouth, they also say "kinai" instead of "konai". Sound funny.

I certainly don't feel comfortable referring to myself in third person like a lot of japanese people do >_>

What? They do that? I mean, I know they always do that for the interlocutor, but that's merely because of the function of the wa particle, but for themselves? Even in anime or movies I don't hear that, except when the character is acting like a 4-year-old or a "I'm gonna kill you by cuteness overload" loli thingie.

You mean they used honnin, or something else? What was it? Were they crazy?

tnw

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Well, straight from my teacher's mouth, they also say "kinai" instead of "konai". Sound funny.

What? They do that? I mean, I know they always do that for the interlocutor, but that's merely because of the function of the wa particle, but for themselves? Even in anime or movies I don't hear that, except when the character is acting like a 4-year-old or a "I'm gonna kill you by cuteness overload" loli thingie.

You mean they used honnin, or something else? What was it? Were they crazy?

Yeah, some japanese refer to them in third person. This japanese guy I worked with , nori, who I was kind of friends with would 'Nori wa suki da na'.

The word we used in emails, etc. was 'kamei' like 'below' and 'name'. You never refer to yourself in written work communcations, always kamei. Even if you don't write your name at the end of the communication :lol

you also always address your coworkers as dono (not sama or san) in work communications. I loved that whole part of that job (although I'm sure it would seem suffocating to a young new japanese employee

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
tnw said:
Yeah, some japanese refer to them in third person. This japanese guy I worked with , nori, who I was kind of friends with would 'Nori wa suki da na'.

The word we used in emails, etc. was 'kamei' like 'below' and 'name'. You never refer to yourself in written work communcations, always kamei. Even if you don't write your name at the end of the communication :lol

you also always address your coworkers as dono (not sama or san) in work communications. I loved that whole part of that job (although I'm sure it would seem suffocating to a young new japanese employee

Haha, I see. It's a bit as if we always referred to ourselves as "the undersigned" in our work communications or something, even if we didn't actually sign. Knew about "dono", although I thought it was for private correspondence purposes only (when you're not friends with the other person).

Why did you love it? Is it because you like languages and all their quirks? I can relate to that :D.

tnw

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Why did you love it? Is it because you like languages and all their quirks? I can relate to that :D.

yeah, I guess that's it. It was just so 'japanese'. My current office, everyone just addresses me as -san in correspondences. It seems so rude after hearing dono for several years.

the thing about kamei is it's only used in that company. They don't use it where I work now.

Plus there were a bunch of other idiosyncratic corporate culture things that, if it was american or whatever would be annoying, but because it's a cultural thing it seems interesting. Sure my current company has those idiosyncrasies too, but for some reason they're not quite as interesting.

Shirokun

Gah! I need help J-Gaf! I have to do a culture presentation for my Japanese 1002 level class. Since my teacher is such a swell guy, he basically wants us all to sing karaoke in front of the whole class. I'm not really too worried about getting up in front of the whole class, but we also have to translate the song.

I was encouraged by my teacher to do an old duet from the eighties(with another student), and I'm having a hell of a time translating this thing. Some of the grammar is above my current level of knowledge, so I can only do so much. He's encouraged us to seek out external sources, including groups on mixi.jp, but I'd hoped to get help here before I go that route. I'll post the lyrics to the song, and what I've "translated" so far if anyone wants to help me out with this. Here's a link to the song. (The only fullversion I've found is a bad voice-synthesized version)

I'll post the first part of the song since that's what I've "translated".

&#30007;&#12392;&#22899;&#12398;&#12521;&#12502;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;

&#39154;&#12415;&#12377;&#12366;&#12383;&#12398;&#12399;&#12288;&#12354;&#12394;&#12383;&#12398;&#12379;&#12356;&#12424;

&#12424;&#12431;&#12356;&#22899;&#12398;&#12356;&#12392;&#12375;&#12373;&#12434;

&#39154;&#12415;&#12377;&#12366;&#12383;&#12398;&#12399;&#12288;&#12354;&#12394;&#12383;&#12398;&#12379;&#12356;&#12424;

&#12363;&#12431;&#12356;&#12356;&#12362;&#21069;&#12398;&#24375;&#12364;&#12426;&#12434;

&#12362;&#20037;&#12375;&#12406;&#12426;&#12397;&#12288;&#12354;&#12394;&#12383;&#12364;&#26469;&#12427;&#12394;&#12435;&#12390;
&#22082;&#12434;&#12375;&#12390;&#12383;&#12398;&#12288;&#22899;&#12398;&#21208;&#12397;

&#20181;&#20107;&#12398;&#12379;&#12356;&#12373;&#12288;&#12356;&#12388;&#12391;&#12418;&#24819;&#12358;&#12398;&#12399;
&#12362;&#21069;&#12398;&#12371;&#12392;&#12391;&#12369;&#12373;

&#12358;&#12381;&#12388;&#12365;&#12397;

&#22256;&#12425;&#12379;&#12427;

&#12356;&#12376;&#12431;&#12427;&#12397;

&#12431;&#12363;&#12427;&#12384;&#12429;

&#12379;&#12397;&#12390;&#29976;&#12360;&#12390;&#12431;&#12364;&#12414;&#12414;&#12434;

&#12424;&#12431;&#12356;&#22899;&#12398;&#12356;&#12392;&#12375;&#12373;&#12434;

&#25265;&#12365;&#12375;&#12417;&#12390;

&#25265;&#12365;&#12375;&#12417;&#12390;&#12288;&#24112;&#12375;&#12383;&#12367;&#12394;&#12356;

&#27700;&#21106;&#12426;&#12288;&#34892;&#12365;&#12378;&#12426;&#12288;&#21476;&#12356;&#20663;
&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;
&#30007;&#12392;&#22899;&#12398;&#12521;&#12502;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;

A Love Game Between Men and Women

It’s your fault that I drank too much.

Weak women are so dear.

It's your fault that I drank too much.

Your show of courage is cute.

It’s been a long time since you last came.
You were telling rumors… it’s a woman’s intuition, you know.

It’s because of work.
You’re the only one that is always thinking of this.

You’re a liar.

You’re a bother.

You’re teasing me.

I know!

Sulking, behaving like a spoiled kid, and being selfish...

It’s your fault that I drank too much.

Weak women are lovely.

Embrace me!

Embrace me, I don’t want to send you back!

Diluted whiskey, casual, old wounds.

A love game between men and women.

If anyone would be willing to look over this and help me with mistakes, I'd appreciate it greatly. In general I don't really know how to translate anything ending in the particle "&#12434;"
so I'm wouldn't be surprised if I screwed up those lines.
Thank you!

Zoe

Can anybody come up with a good translation for &#12494;&#12522;? I see it a lot in lyrics and in manga, and I can kinda get it from the context, but it's hard to put into words.

This is the manga line I'm looking at right now: &#21463;&#27880;&#26465;&#20214;&#12300;&#12494;&#12522;&#12392;&#29105;&#12356;&#12495;&#12540;&#12488;&#12301;

Can someone help me translate this?

First, I am assuming I did the conversion to Romaji correctly.

"Ganbare tsugi no machi made mada mada aru zo"

I think it means:

Hang in there, until we see a hint of a village

I am confused by "made mada mada". Why is he using two "mada"?

Thank you.

RevenantKioku

madamada has a "not yet" or "haven't reached the goal yet" kinda idea to it.
For example, people say my Japanese is good and my reply is always "madamada ya na"

Shouta

RevenantKioku said:
For example, people say my Japanese is good and my reply is always "madamada ya na"

Eh, I reply a lot more politely in that case =x

RevenantKioku

Shouta said:
Eh, I reply a lot more politely in that case =x
Yeah, but the lack of politeness is overlooked by the HOLY SHIT GAIJIN SPEAKING KANSAI-BEN.
Makes pretty much anyone chuckle.
Just like "osaka ben zenzen wakarahen"

takotchi

tnw said:
yeah, stop it with the kanji henkan. I think I think I can count on one hand how many times I've seen the kanji for shaberu used. The hiragana is almost always used.

No. I've seen &#21899;&#12427; before and there's nothing wrong with it. It gets 2.8mil hits on google versus 3.4mil for the hiragana version. It's not that unusual.

RevenantKioku

Shouta said:
Well, the "holy shit" factor goes up if you speak politely, at least from my experience. :lol
Yes well, I forgot all my polite Japanese. :(

RevenantKioku

Shouta said:
How could you forgot your polite Japanese? It's like dirt easy. =|
Well, I have to really think to do it. And based on when I learned the verb, some just don't sound "right" if I tack on the "masen".
But I'm mostly thinking humble/honorific which I know I plumb forgot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:

saying "madamada yana" sounds like you are talking about someone else. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to say that in response to someone complimenting your Japanese. It sounds more like you are telling them "You haven't seen nothing yet." or something. I'm sure people understand just fine given the context, but it's not natural at all.

"madamada yade", or "madamada yanen" would be more appropriate, but even those sound weird.

When you are being humble like that, by saying your Japanese still isn't very good, it would only be natural to speak politely in my opinion.

tnw

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but the lack of politeness is overlooked by the HOLY SHIT GAIJIN SPEAKING KANSAI-BEN.
Makes pretty much anyone chuckle.
Just like "osaka ben zenzen wakarahen"

enjoy the novelty while it lasts. If you plan to be here in any kind of business setting, the kansaiben will have to go.

I really would make a concerted effort to speak standard Japanese. You can whip out the kansai ben to impress people or make them laught, but other than that... I know it's hard, I started speaking local dialect when i was in inaka, but in the end I'm glad that i tried to speak standard as much as possible, as I would sound like a total goon if I was speaking dialect. I have a CIR coworker who totally spoke only dialect, and she kind of had a little bit of a rough time at first when she moved out of that region of Japan.

'madamada' means 'still a lot to go' in that context. it's an emphatic expression. you can just use mada to be unemphatic.

And concerning shaberu, google search is hardly empirical evidence. They might use it in subtitles of some TV shows when they need to conserve space, but I can guarantee you, it is almost never used.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So, what would you say is the best polite way to say that your Japanese isn't that great yet? I assume it would be something along these lines: "Iie, amari jouzu dewa naindesu/arimasen."

Am I right?

I want to be ready whenever the unavoidable "Sugeeeeeeee jouzu!!!" pops up. I noticed they have a tendency to tell you how great you are when all you said was "arigatou gozaimasu", so...

Yeah, I'm going to Japan in a month or so. So excited, can't wait :D.

tnw

Banned
Kilrogg said:
So, what would you say is the best polite way to say that your Japanese isn't that great yet? I assume it would be something along these lines: "Iie, amari jouzu dewa naindesu/arimasen."

Am I right?

I want to be ready whenever the unavoidable "Sugeeeeeeee jouzu!!!" pops up. I noticed they have a tendency to tell you how great you are when all you said was "arigatou gozaimasu", so...

this is a great time to say 'mada mada'

takotchi

tnw said:
And concerning shaberu, google search is hardly empirical evidence. They might use it in subtitles of some TV shows when they need to conserve space, but I can guarantee you, it is almost never used.

I think Google search is a pretty good indicator. If you try other kanji/kana pairs it becomes pretty apparent. Regardless, I still don't think it's rare at all, and even if it was, there's no good reason I can see not to use it anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kilrogg said:

Am I right?

"iya, madamada desu yo..." "iya, madamada desu..."

"sonna koto nai desu yo..."

etc...

---

I agree with tnw that &#21899;&#12427; is probably more often than not displayed in Hiragana in television subtitles, but I see the Kanji version all the time in books and manga, magazines, etc... They are both used pretty commonly in my opinion.

tnw

Banned
Zefah said:
"iya, madamada desu yo..." "iya, madamada desu..."

"sonna koto nai desu yo..."

the 'yo' sounds a little too strong in my opinion.

The first time I saw the kanji for shaberu used was in some informal document my supervisor gave me at my last job, 8 years after I had started studying the language.

next thing people will be telling me that I should use the kanji for kabi or hifu.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tnw said:
the 'yo' sounds a little too strong in my opinion.

The first time I saw the kanji for shaberu used was in some informal document my supervisor gave me at my last job, 8 years after I had started studying the language.

next thing people will be telling me that I should use the kanji for kabi or hifu.

I meant the "..." to represent a "trailing off" sound which would weaken the "yo". If you say "&#12424;&#12387;" or something, that would definitely come off too strong.

By Hifu do you mean "&#30382;&#33178;" like in "&#30382;&#33178;&#31185;" (department of dermatology)? I definitely think you should use the Kanji for that. Kabi, on the other hand, probably not...

RevenantKioku said:

OK. I get the jist of it.

Can you please translate the whole sentence then? (Unless I translated it correctly?)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bigmit3737 said:
Can someone help me translate this?

First, I am assuming I did the conversion to Romaji correctly.

"Ganbare tsugi no machi made mada mada aru zo"

&#12300;&#38929;&#24373;&#12428;&#65281;&#27425;&#12398;&#30010;&#12414;&#12391;&#12414;&#12384;&#12414;&#12384;&#12354;&#12427;&#12382;&#65281;&#12301;

Because I don't know really know the context, it is hard to determine exactly what is being implied by "&#38929;&#24373;&#12428;", but here is a rough translation based on what we have:

"Don't give up now! We still have a ways to go until the next town."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom