• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

KanameYuuki

I'm gonna sound like a dick, but (this is my opinion) you potentially fuck yourself over if you just study Kanji moderately/aggressively in your early days.

To start, you still don't know the basic grammar patterns, and how sentences are properly formed.

Then, you haven't got a very broad vocabulary, so you're constantly trying to learn words and remember them so you are actually learning the language and not the alphabet.

On top of that, you're trying to memorise stroke orders, and how to write each Kanji, which is likely before you have formed your own writing style with Katakana and Hiragana. How quickly can you write McDonalds, Australia, Internet, Basketball and Soccer with their correct spelling? You're likely to struggle but you might do well. Who knows.

Of those three things, your learning will benefit greatly. For a few reasons.

1. Learning grammar allows you to formulate sentences. Confidence builder because you're applying what you've learnt.
2. Learning vocab lets you further articulate yourself. Again, it's a confidence boost.
3. Handwriting is a great way to retain what you learn. As you become more fluent your writing should follow. Eventually sentence writing will become very easy.

With all those simple things to learn and build momentum, why would you spend time trying to memorise how to pronounce 日? That is just time better spent learning shit that matters.

All of that doesn't even take into account the fact that if you know 300 Kanji, it's not going to necessarily help your speaking skills - which is the entire reason we are all learning the language, right?

Edit: these are just things I wish somebody told me before I wasted 3 months on Heisig. It was 10 weeks of wasted progress. The only good 2 weeks were learning the importance of stroke order.

This is something I've been thinking this whole time, I just started learning by myself a few weeks ago and I was trying to memorize Kanji and basic grammar at the same time, but then I said fuck it to Kanjis (But still trying to recognize some if I happened to see them) and it helped me a lot since I was getting so overwhelmed.

RangerBAD

In Genki I just alternated. Lesson > kanji > lesson, but it almost seemed like I was supposed to all the kanji sections after I finished all the lessons based on the reading portions.

I was surprised to see Dragon Quest Builders wasn't using furigana like most DQ games. I thought about importing that in a few months, but now I don't know. A lot of the words are in kana though.
Things that use only hiragana, or hiragana and basic kanji, aren't really that good for learning, in my experience. They're designed for Japanese children who know a lot of words but don't knowhow they're written. As a foreign learner you won't know the words, and you'll run into a lot of problems. If you have kanji with furigana it's much easier to make a connection between the words and their meanings as you see them repeatedly. Games that feature full kanji with furigana are rather rare; though Level 5 is fairly good about doing it, as is Nintendo. Like I said before, Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch on the 3DS are excellent for this. I haven't done much Japanese gaming outside of the 3DS though so I can't give many recommendations for other platforms. Ni No Kuni (PS3 and DS versions) have full furigana, though the language is a bit more advanced and has a lot of "storybook language" with people using very uncommon or antiquated words.

EDIT:

In Genki I just alternated. Lesson > kanji > lesson, but it almost seemed like I was supposed to all the kanji sections after I finished all the lessons based on the reading portions.

Nah, they're just really designed for classroom use with a teacher guiding.

Resilient

This is something I've been thinking this whole time, I just started learning by myself a few weeks ago and I was trying to memorize Kanji and basic grammar at the same time, but then I said fuck it to Kanjis (But still trying to recognize some if I happened to see them) and it helped me a lot since I was getting so overwhelmed.

Well you've been thinking right. My last trip Japan, I thought learning Kanji was going to help me heaps so I studied it a lot. Got there and I could barely understand a thing anybody said no matter how basic. Had I been studying grammar that whole time I would have been better off.

First you get the grammar
Then you get the vocabulary
Then you get the Kanji

So many people have responded to my initial question at this point that quoting everyone would be a mess! I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like my impulse purchase of Basic Kanji Book vol. 1 was a mistake, as I didn't realize that Genki had a Kanji section with the stroke order included. What mainly compelled me to buy it is that, since I'm currently living in Japan, I was getting fed up with not being able to read day-to-day Kanji. It looks like the Genki book will suffice in this regard!

RangerBAD

Things that use only hiragana, or hiragana and basic kanji, aren't really that good for learning, in my experience. They're designed for Japanese children who know a lot of words but don't knowhow they're written. As a foreign learner you won't know the words, and you'll run into a lot of problems. If you have kanji with furigana it's much easier to make a connection between the words and their meanings as you see them repeatedly. Games that feature full kanji with furigana are rather rare; though Level 5 is fairly good about doing it, as is Nintendo. Like I said before, Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch on the 3DS are excellent for this. I haven't done much Japanese gaming outside of the 3DS though so I can't give many recommendations for other platforms. Ni No Kuni (PS3 and DS versions) have full furigana, though the language is a bit more advanced and has a lot of "storybook language" with people using very uncommon or antiquated words.

EDIT:

Nah, they're just really designed for classroom use with a teacher guiding.

Pretty sure they were words that are commonly written kana.

Pretty sure they were words that are commonly written kana.

The only text-heavy screenshot I saw on my first quick search was entirely hiragana. I just realized that it was probably just a reference to the NES (it was the dark lord inviting you to join him), because now I'm seeing others with normal levels of kanji.

RangerBAD

The only text-heavy screenshot I saw on my first quick search was entirely hiragana. I just realized that it was probably just a reference to the NES (it was the dark lord inviting you to join him), because now I'm seeing others with normal levels of kanji.

It's just a lack of furigana that's a down side. DQ7 on 3DS uses furigana though.

Nocebo

For me reading furigana didn't help me memorize readings much at all. I had to sit down and focus on structurally learning the readings for the like 2100 or so common use kanji to really get them in there. Maybe my brain is broken.

For me reading furigana didn't help me memorize readings much at all. I had to sit down and focus on structurally learning the readings for the like 2100 or so common use kanji to really get them in there. Maybe my brain is broken.

Yeah, but I'm sure that the vocabulary that you learned from reading things with furigana helped to anchor the kanji readings in place.

GSR

I think my strongest motivation to pass N1 is that it means I'll never have to combine NaNoWriMo and JLPT studying again.

Resilient

so I never did any of this WANIKANI or Anki flash card stuff.

I'm basically trying to absorb as much vocab and grammar as I can at this point, and picking up any Kanji along the way but I want a better way to make it stick.

I just registered for Wanikani but the first few lessons are all radicals and shit, which is pretty boring IMO, does it get better + more advanced? I already know all these early days N5/N4 Kanji and I'm on my way through most N3 now..

wtf do I do if I want to get onto all the cool new apps that everybody is using?

I just registered for Wanikani but the first few lessons are all radicals and shit, which is pretty boring IMO, does it get better + more advanced? I already know all these early days N5/N4 Kanji and I'm on my way through most N3 now..

it's going to take you a while. and then after a few months you get to where I am where I have like 150-200 reviews a day...

I mean eventually it will take you through something like 90% of the jouyou kanji and something like 6000 vocab words on top of that, you just have to be patient with it at first.

so I never did any of this WANIKANI or Anki flash card stuff.

I'm basically trying to absorb as much vocab and grammar as I can at this point, and picking up any Kanji along the way but I want a better way to make it stick.

wtf do I do if I want to get onto all the cool new apps that everybody is using?
You'd probably be better off with Anki than with Wanikani, at your level of studies.

Wanikani is set up as a course, there's no way to speed it up other than just doing everything as soon as it's available. The workload does pick up, but it'll take you quite a while to get to the point where you're consistently seeing new kanji. On the other hand you'll probably find at least some new vocabulary for kanji you do know along the way. This is all based on what I've seen of my wife's usage of it. She's been using it for about 4 months (though inconsistently) and is sitting at around 300 kanji learned. It's definitely possible to advance faster than she has, but it wouldn't be more than twice as fast, I don't think.

With Anki, you can literally make anything you want. You could get a deck with the 常用 kanji and delete the ones you know and start trickling new ones in every day. Or you could create batches of cards for each new kanji based on vocab. Or whatever you want to do. It's extremely flexible, but if you want to get the most out of it you need to put some work into it and figure out what you need from it.

Nocebo

I'm making progress on achieving the goal I set for around Christmas. I might not be going very fast compared to other people but I memorized around 500 new words these past 7 days. I didn't have a lot of time to study though, not even in the weekends so I'm feeling good that I'm making some progress at least.

also depends on your ability to retain information. my broken old-man brain can't remember the things I study via anki or whatever the same way the SRS on WK does for me.

I don't know, I would at least recommend sticking with WK until you've hit the end of the free period, might as well see the trial period all the way through. it's not like those early levels will take you more than like 15 minutes a day

Mendax

Since you guys are talking about memorizing kanji; there is this smartphone app "kanji senpai" that has you memorize kanji and write them on the touchscreen afterwards. It works per JLPT level and you can set your own daily target. Also nowadays if you don't do them in correct stroke order it immediately corrects you and briefly shows you how it should be written in green and afterwards has you try again. The app is free, but for 2 bucks per jlpt level i bought some audio packs as well.
I can really recommend this, helped me a ton.

Porcile

Since you guys are talking about memorizing kanji; there is this smartphone app "kanji senpai" that has you memorize kanji and write them on the touchscreen afterwards. It works per JLPT level and you can set your own daily target. Also nowadays if you don't do them in correct stroke order it immediately corrects you and briefly shows you how it should be written in green and afterwards has you try again. The app is free, but for 2 bucks per jlpt level i bought some audio packs as well.
I can really recommend this, helped me a ton.

Sounds good but I can't find it on iTunes. Is it Android only? There's one called "kanji sensei" but it's a paid app.

RangerBAD

I probably haven't learned this, but I'm not sure how to use two verbs in this way. An English example would be: It takes many hours to complete. I know how to use てto chain verbs, but I don't think I'm looking for that here.

Nocebo

Not sure what you're asking?これ・それ・あれをするのは沢山の時間がかかる。 or それを完成にするのは沢山の時間がかかる。 would be better I guess. You can replace 完成にする with 果たす, 終わりにする...等々 depending on the context I guess? Maybe 完成する also works. My grammar skills aren't very good but that's how I would say it. 

RangerBAD

I should probably put what I have for better context.

メタルギアソリッドVをしています。とても楽しいゲームですが、

but it takes many hours to complete/takes a long time to finish.

Why do you need a の in front of たくさん? Doesn't an adverb just go before the verb?

Nocebo

I should probably put what I have for better context.

メタルギアソリッドVをしています。とても楽しいゲームですが、

but it takes many hours to complete/takes a long time to finish.

Why do you need a の in front of たくさん? Doesn't an adverb just go before the verb?
The の before the たくさん makes 完成にする verb clause into a noun. You can also replace の with こと.
If you just use the verb 完成する or something like that without the こと or の it will mean "I will complete (it)" but you want to talk about the action of completing like it's a thing.
With games it is probably better to use "クリアする" for completing.
とても楽しいゲームですがクリアすることはたくさんの時間がかかります。

RangerBAD

The の before the たくさん makes 完成にする verb clause into a noun. You can also replace の with こと.
If you just use the verb 完成する or something like that without the こと or の it will mean "I will complete (it)" but you want to talk about the action of completing like it's a thing.
With games it is probably better to use "クリアする" for completing.
とても楽しいゲームですがクリアすることはたくさんの時間がかかります。

Never mind. Didn't see your edit. So it's like literally "completion takes many hours"?

RangerBAD

Super literally it would maybe translate to something like "the thing of doing the clearing takes many hours".

I'm realizing I'm really rusty on the concepts of English grammar. As a native speaker you eventually stop caring about things or they're just so common you don't think about it. If I had really thought about structure, I might not have been so stuck.

I actually wanted to ask about both の in the earlier sentence. たくさんの時間 Are you using たくさん as a noun to qualify it with another noun instead of using it as an adverb? Why? Don't we already have a subject?

This feels repetitive, but:

メタルギアソリッドVをしています。とても楽しいゲームですが、クリアするのはたくさんの時間がかかります。俺の100%のクリアは170時間以上がかかりました。ゲームが好きでも、クリアするのはたくさんの時間がかかります。

Jintor

Here, I'll break it up for you:

クリアするのは たくさんの時間が かかります。

クリアする の は = The thing of clearing [subject marker]
たくさんの時間が = Many (of) hours [object marker]
かかります = It takes

"It takes many hours to do the thing of clearing"

So the first の as Nocebo says just turns the verb クリアする into a noun, so "the thing of clearing".

たくさん is actually a noun, adjective, and adverb, so basically you can just do whatevs

RangerBAD

Here, I'll break it up for you:

クリアするのは たくさんの時間が かかります。

クリアする の は = The thing of clearing [subject marker]
たくさんの時間が = Many (of) hours [object marker]
かかります = It takes

"It takes many hours to do the thing of clearing"

So the first の as Nocebo says just turns the verb クリアする into a noun, so "the thing of clearing".

たくさん is actually a noun, adjective, and adverb, so basically you can just do whatevs

I found a good post on stack exchange about it too. Nocebo and you have been really helpful.

Jintor

I don't personally find it helpful to drill too far down into 'use this to normalise when doing x but not when doing y' or that kinda specifics of the grammar to be honest when you're just beginning, but that's just me. I find it more helpful to know basic forms of more grammar so you can hear and understand it being used in context, and from there drill down into exceptions or restrictions.

Does anyone have any tips for trying to automise conjugation in my head? Intellectually I know ~させる、~られる、てform etc but I can't do it automatically and it's really giving me the shits.

urfe

I don't personally find it helpful to drill too far down into 'use this to normalise when doing x but not when doing y' or that kinda specifics of the grammar to be honest when you're just beginning, but that's just me. I find it more helpful to know basic forms of more grammar so you can hear and understand it being used in context, and from there drill down into exceptions or restrictions.

Does anyone have any tips for trying to automise conjugation in my head? Intellectually I know ~させる、~られる、てform etc but I can't do it automatically and it's really giving me the shits.

I would pick a verb where you can use it often, and use it whenever you can. (i.e 言われる, 頼まれる, やれせて)

される can be used easily in て form to be "let me" and then used in various situations.

elhav

As for ~られる form, I would take 1 common verb of every word that ends with a different vowel, as in: One that ends in う, you can take 言う(言われる). For one that ends with む you can take something like 包む(包まれた)etc etc. When you remember at least one word of each vowel with the conjuction properly, it will be much easier to recognize it with other verbs that end with the same vowel.

Do the same with て.
Edit 2: I was probably high or something...urfe, I think you were talking about させる, not される. but if I remember correctly, you can only use it with the ます stem of a る verb and conjuate the other verbs this way: う to わ, む to な etc. Like, you wouldn't say 考えてさせて, but instead 考えさせて. Same goes with the other types of verbs: 言わせて etc etc. You can also use the method I mentioned above for it in the same manner. Take 1 common word of each end vowel, and remember them to help you recognize verbs that use this conjugation more easily.

Hope it helped.

Porcile

Does anyone have any tips for string together nouns using の to make longer possessives? I have no idea if that's the correct term or not.

For example the other day I wanted to say: "The scenery was beautiful, so I took lots of black and white landscape photographs". However, I completely bungled the use of の, as demonstrated:

けしきはきれいでしたから、たくさんしゃしんの白黒のけしきをとりました。

This was corrected to: 白黒のけしきのしゃしん which is exactly the order I would use in English. Obviously that doesn't always translate across to Japanese since the ordering has to be specific, and I could order it a couple different ways in English.

What is the logical pattern I can use to stop making these kind of mistakes? Total baby error I know, but I feel like this one of those things which isn't very well explained and you're expected to get it right away without the nuance being explained, especially when it comes to using more than one の.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There's nothing really logical to it other than it being right. It's not a 'pattern,' it's just natural. You realize your original sentence is only one word out of order - photograph. Look at your sentence and all of the pieces. You end your sentence with 'took'. It would make sense that your direct object precedes を, no? You didn't take a keshiki, you took a shashin. So why isn't shashin before the wo?

Unrelated to your post, there's a lot of iffy grammar stuff going on from the English side in some of these last few pages. Putting aside that one should know the grammar rules of their own language, don't try to study this language so scientifically or try to line things up side by side. Just think about 'how do I express this meaning' when you want to say something. So don't try to memorize stuff as na adjectives or u verbs or rareru, just think to yourself 'how do I say x' and learn to say x without any nonsense rule attached to it. This is the same reason stuff like RTK is so dumb.

Mik2121

Agree with Expert on this. Stop trying to think of a phrase in English and Japanese, or comparing them. Many things will sound right in a language and awkward in another, so instead just try to learn (not studying, but talking and listening to) what is actually being used commonly.

As for your phrase, I would personally say something like
景色が綺麗だったので、白黒でたくさんの写真をとりました。 I cut out the second keshiki as it´s already on the first part and you don't need to repeat it.
Also, there's no single pattern in Japanese either, you can say it in many ways:

たくさんの白黒の写真をとろました。
白黒で、景色の写真をたくさんとりました。
たくさんの景色の写真を白黒でとりました。
白黒の写真で景色をたくさんとりました。

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I downloaded Anki the day it came out in beta probably a decade ago. Played around with it for 10 mins and immediately uninstalled it (not that I needed it for anything anyway). Utter shit. Flash cards are shit in general. Everyone has a different style of studying yeah yeah blah blah. Anki is how you should brute force a standardized test, not how you should learn a language. Never once did I use a single flash card during my studies.

Porcile

Ah, thanks for the help. I'm still learning basic grammar rules and how to apply them to my own sentences on a consistent basis. Patterns and logic are quite useful in that regard but I understand doing so is probably not so useful in the long term.

urfe

Do the same with て.
Edit 2: I was probably high or something...urfe, I think you were talking about させる, not される. but if I remember correctly, you can only use it with the ます stem of a る verb and conjuate the other verbs this way: う to わ, む to な etc. Like, you wouldn't say 考えてさせて, but instead 考えさせて. Same goes with the other types of verbs: 言わせて etc etc. You can also use the method I mentioned above for it in the same manner. Take 1 common word of each end vowel, and remember them to help you recognize verbs that use this conjugation more easily.

Hope it helped.

I just meant させる→させて, but am unaware of proper terms for these things, so it may have been confusing.

混乱させてすみません。

Resilient

Buy a Japanese dictionary. Makes this stuff easier to remember because it punishes you for learning your old ways. Those ways of learning can only take you so far. Then you buy a Japanese dictionary and realise you were holding yourself back this whole time.

Gacha-pin

メタルギアソリッドVをしています。とても楽しいゲームですが、クリアするのはたくさんの時間がかかります。俺の100%のクリアは170時間以上がかかりました。ゲームが好きでも、クリアするのはたくさんの時間がかかります。

I know you are ケンシロウ but I think you should avoid using 俺 for now.

Ah, thanks for the help. I'm still learning basic grammar rules and how to apply them to my own sentences on a consistent basis. Patterns and logic are quite useful in that regard but I understand doing so is probably not so useful in the long term.
Generally, bigger/vague things are first and are followed by smaller/specific things. 今日は2015年の11月の3日です。 You know, yyyy/mm/dd is the correct order.

But I think using multiple 'の' is not a good way. You can say the same thing another way like Mik's examples.

Jintor

I downloaded Anki the day it came out in beta probably a decade ago. Played around with it for 10 mins and immediately uninstalled it (not that I needed it for anything anyway). Utter shit. Flash cards are shit in general. Everyone has a different style of studying yeah yeah blah blah. Anki is how you should brute force a standardized test, not how you should learn a language. Never once did I use a single flash card during my studies.

I can't disagree with you harder, but I don't think Anki is the be all and end all either; it's just one part of a long chain of stuff I need to do to get anything not in English to stick in my brain.

probably the most interesting and useful part is actual usage, but without certain steps before that, I overload and just get depressed.

RangerBAD

I know you are ケンシロウ but I think you should avoid using 俺 for now.

Generally, bigger/vague things are first and are followed by smaller/specific things. 今日は2015年の11月の3日です。 You know, yyyy/mm/dd is the correct order.

But I think using multiple 'の' is not a good way. You can say the same thing another way like Mik's examples.

Understood. Thank you.

Should I just not bother with an "I"?

I don't know if you have to be a member to see it, but my post got corrected. And, yeah, I got in trouble with ore. lol

http://www.italki.com/entry/623932

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing really logical to it other than it being right. It's not a 'pattern,' it's just natural. You realize your original sentence is only one word out of order - photograph. Look at your sentence and all of the pieces. You end your sentence with 'took'. It would make sense that your direct object precedes を, no? You didn't take a keshiki, you took a shashin. So why isn't shashin before the wo?

Unrelated to your post, there's a lot of iffy grammar stuff going on from the English side in some of these last few pages. Putting aside that one should know the grammar rules of their own language, don't try to study this language so scientifically or try to line things up side by side. Just think about 'how do I express this meaning' when you want to say something. So don't try to memorize stuff as na adjectives or u verbs or rareru, just think to yourself 'how do I say x' and learn to say x without any nonsense rule attached to it. This is the same reason stuff like RTK is so dumb.

Damn good advice right here.

Start thinking in terms of how you can express meanings and concepts rather than fixed phrases and your language studies will go much more smoothly.

Resilient

Damn good advice right here.

Start thinking in terms of how you can express meanings and concepts rather than fixed phrases and your language studies will go much more smoothly.

Japanese dictionary will get you there.

I'm sure you already know that Zefah I'm just being an echo chamber.

glad to see other people think RTK is bit dumb. Isn't it like 40 years old too? the best part of RTK is the iPhone app, shows you proper stroke order which helps you keep your writing proper.

urfe

Japanese dictionary will get you there.

I'm sure you already know that Zefah I'm just being an echo chamber.

glad to see other people think RTK is bit dumb. Isn't it like 40 years old too? the best part of RTK is the iPhone app, shows you proper stroke order which helps you keep your writing proper.

I've actually stopped using a Japanese dictionary with my novel reading, and the main reason is to keep it fun for me. I can usually read about 10-15 pages before my brain gets tired, and I think it would be a lot sooner if I were looking up the words in Japanese.

When "studying", I definitely do use a Japanese dictionary now though, and am grateful to whoever suggested that to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've actually stopped using a Japanese dictionary with my novel reading, and the main reason is to keep it fun for me. I can usually read about 10-15 pages before my brain gets tired, and I think it would be a lot sooner if I were looking up the words in Japanese.

When "studying", I definitely do use a Japanese dictionary now though, and am grateful to whoever suggested that to me.

I understand the keep it fun aspect, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice. Obviously, do whatever it takes to keep you reading, but novels in particular should offer a wealth of language as it is used in a natural setting and learning the meaning behind those words in Japanese will do you a great deal of good as you progress. It may be slow going at first, but I think you will find that it will get much easier rather quickly. Reading definitions in Japanese is a great way to increase your vocabulary (including idioms) about a particular topic.

So ya'll think another anki deck is the way?

Seems to work so far...

Have you tried Quizlet? I'm liking it way better than anki, probably because:
- it makes you type out the word.
- it isn't annoyingly difficult to switch the cards around.
- it includes sound.
- there are several different activities you can do, including tests.
- it generally just looks a lot cleaner and more modern.

Mik2121

I don't know if this works for you, but I have an iPad and the few times I've tried reading some Japanese novels and didn't understand something, I would highlight those words (this is using iBooks) and then go through them at the end of the chapter. Some of the words I wouldn't understand when first reading them but sorta assume what they would mean after seeing them used multiple times, so then translating them and seeing they meant what I thought was nice.

I don't know if this works for you, but I have an iPad and the few times I've tried reading some Japanese novels and didn't understand something, I would highlight those words (this is using iBooks) and then go through them at the end of the chapter. Some of the words I wouldn't understand when first reading them but sorta assume what they would mean after seeing them used multiple times, so then translating them and seeing they meant what I thought was nice.

This is a good idea. I've been doing the same thing but with pencil.

Jintor

any particular japanese dictionaries you recommend? baby dictionaries for babies maybe? (Given my reading level is... kind of random, I'm hesitant to just pick up a well-renowned one where I spend equal amounts of time translating the definitions of things as I do actually reading the thing I want to try and read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom