• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

platypotamus said:
When I played as Magdalene, I never seem to get anything that ups damage or range, but I get all the health extenders. I don't think it's coincidence.
i just cleared the womb and killed mom my first time playing with that floor unlocked (on my very first playthrough as maggy) thanks in large part to maxing out my range and damage a few floors in. i was shooting the big red tears, which are powerful but can sometimes be a hindrance due to being difficult to differentiate from enemy projectiles. i even got some permanent damage boost items and tarot cards that temporarily up damage well after my damage meter had topped out. my fire rate was pretty ass the whole way through the game though.

it was such a stark contrast to the isaac playthrough i did immediately prior (where i first unlocked the womb and maggy). in that run i had a ton of fire rate and speed powerups but my damage never got past the halfway point and getting early boomerang tears limited how far i could shoot.

After trying and failing a bunch of times with Judas (my least favorite of the original bunch - haven't tried Eve, yet), I had a really lucky streak. Got several items I'd never seen before, including Mom's Knife.

Holy shit the knife is amazing. Devil dead in less than a minute, easily.

kyubajin

Sorry to ask yet again but, has any Mac user managed to get achievements working? I've installed and reinstalled the game more than 20 times now, I've downloaded all the patches as well...

Jasoco

Banned
Nope. And mine still doesn't correctly record my playtime. Both problems would be solved if this weren't designed in Flash.

Amagon

Just started getting into this game today finally. Framerates is chugging for me, any solutions? And the joytokey program, you just extract it, run the App, and thats it??? Is the game suppose to detect the joytokey program once its open or I have to do something else before hand? Using 360 controller here.

Ifrit

Just listened to the Gamecrashers Binding of Isaac podcast, it was pretty funny. Everyone interested in the game should give it a listen

Ilúvatar

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Just started getting into this game today finally. Framerates is chugging for me, any solutions? And the joytokey program, you just extract it, run the App, and thats it??? Is the game suppose to detect the joytokey program once its open or I have to do something else before hand? Using 360 controller here.

Mine was chugging for a long while, then I found an instance of Punk Buster running in the background which I killed and that seemed to solve my issue. I know it's oddly specific, but maybe it will be of help.

Joe Molotov

Blah, I just can't seem to get a good run going with Eve or Judas. I still haven't been able to beat it with them, and now I've unlocked Everything's Terrible.

Flynn

I've been methodically getting everything I can in each level and decided to change up my strategy -- if I see the boss room I go in and fight no matter what. Had some good runs taking that approach. Less opportunities to screw up.

I just noticed I'm missing one cheesemint/secret, even though I've clearly unlocked it. Loki's Horns. I've found them on more than one occasion. ):

Other than that, I only need to win with ??? and collect all the items. Damn you, RNG.

KarmaCow

This game sometimes...

Had near maxed out damage and like 9 hearts and got into a devil room with the Brimstone power up. Clearly I would be stupid not to pick it up, so I did. Then for some reason I could not attack. I could charge, but not actually fire. :(

Togglesworlh said:
I just noticed I'm missing one cheesemint/secret, even though I've clearly unlocked it. Loki's Horns. I've found them on more than one occasion. ):

Other than that, I only need to win with ??? and collect all the items. Damn you, RNG.

That achievement is weird, I've collected the horns before but the achievement only unlocked after (I think) I beat Loki in a level before the Womb.

chessnut

I dont know how or why I got addicted to this game earlier this week. It's so frustrating to rack up all these items and then die. I'll quit and reluctantly go back to it a couple hours later. It doesn't help that they don't allow for custom controls. JoytoKey is weird and using wasd feels uncomfortable after a while.

I got to Mom with a ridiculously lucky set and did a normal attack twice (took off 20% of the health and I had 4 hearts + 4 or 5 armor). And then I used the Bible item, because I thought it just made me fly. Turns out it instantly ends it, but it doesn't count as a victory :(

Marchiott

On one of my playthroughs with Isaac, I got a lucky break!

Made two deals with the devil and then picked up "TECHNOLOGY":
(which shoots unlimited range laaaaserz)

Beating the first playthrough after that was no biggie :)

Mr_Zombie

How can you initiate battle against this Sheol or Satan (I saw him mentioned here)?
I've beaten the game several times now, three times with Isaac and once with Judas, and the game always ends on Mom's heart.

Relax.MX

Mr_Zombie said:
How can you initiate battle against this Sheol or Satan (I saw him mentioned here)?
I've beaten the game several times now, three times with Isaac and once with Judas, and the game always ends on Mom's heart.

You need to beat the game more than 9 times..

What does it mean when I get a sign saying "Lil Chubby" (or another item) has appeared in the basement!

Does that mean the item is in the level with me to find now?

Vlad

KarmaCow said:
Yea that item is added to the pool of items that could spawn in the basement.

Also, when it says that, it doesn't just mean the "The Basement" levels (the first two), but the entire game.

Turns out Whore of Babylon is actually useful when you're using ???.

Shame I accidentally picked up Number One, forgetting it made the range of my shots the smallest possible. That lack of range really hurts in the womb. I lost again. ))):

Askani

About freaking time:

KPRvP.png

I'm woefully low on items though. Lots more plays to go I guess.

Vlad

Finally killed mom. Used the Bible, so didn't get credit, but I don't care, I have completed The Binding of Isaac. I love this game.

Errr.. yeah... about that...

If the boss you defeated is called "Mom", then you haven't actually beaten the game yet :)

No. You cannot have it. You have to keep going. You did it once. Do it again. And again. And again. Many more times. For me. Because I will probably never be able to beat it myself. And am super jealous.
I haven't been able to get past The Womb I yet :(

vitacola

No one? I'm afraid because I know it's a flash game. There was some instructions on the Steam board, but it's down ...

EDIT: It shares the save with the Steam version.
Self quote is best quote ;)

Tried the instructions on the Steam forum, but couldn't find the save. I really need the save game to transfer it to my new PC. Please, help me, GAF! :(

MNC

Man, just when I thought this game couldn't get any more complete, Edmund adds the whole extra chapter!

I forgot, does this have steam cloud? It really needs it. I wouldn't want to lose my stats and all.

L00P

Finished the game with all characters including the Sheol. Feels good man

I'm only missing three no-damage achievements. I don't think it's possible, but I've beaten Satan with ??? for a couple of times now so I'll keep trying

Flynn

I'm only missing three no-damage achievements. I don't think it's possible, but I've beaten Satan with ??? for a couple of times now so I'll keep trying

Does anybody know if levels skipped with the shovel count towards the no damage achievement?

BigAT

Does anybody know if levels skipped with the shovel count towards the no damage achievement?

I know that if you use it on the second level, it won't count for the achievement. At least it didn't the one time I attempted it. I have no clue if you use it on the first floor, then defeat the second if it would work. I know that the achievement triggers when you kill the boss of the second floor, not when you actually advance to the next level.

I really wish I would have made more of an effort to get those earlier on. With all the difficulty increases, it kind of seems like an impossibility now.

NEVERMIND I GOT IT

FINALLY

Now I only need to find someway to retrigger Loki's Horns cheesemint, and fill out my collection. Oh, and die 100 times, I guess. I'm at, uh... 90 now, apparently. Neat. I'd say about 30 of those are from ??? Sheol runs alone, and about 20 of those are suicides when I got shitty items the first two floors.

EDIT: Except the ??? Sheol cheesemint didn't register. Figures. Bah!

EDIT THE SECOND: Registered when I restarted the game. Phew. So, yeah. Three cheesemints left. Loki's Horns (bugged), Shears, and Golden Boy. Woop.

Chris R

I don't know how you guys are doing what you are doing with this game :( Maybe I'm missing something, because I've only ever been to the 4th stage once (tonight) and that was due to getting insane power ups. Most times I end up getting shit that makes me worse :|

At least I figured out how to fix the mac bug every time. I just have to swipe left to my dashboard widgets and then swipe back to the game to make my keyboard work when I start it.

Top Bottom