• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

backlot

BigAT said:
I did that, but the unlock only triggered for me after I took the third item. I got one item from the first room, then two from the second.
Weird. Well there was just another update recently so maybe that's fixed now.

BigAT said:
I did that, but the unlock only triggered for me after I took the third item. I got one item from the first room, then two from the second.
Same here. Took me three items from the Devil's Room to unlock Eve.

BigAT

Looks like pretty much everything was fixed:

Update info:
-Fixed Final boss music bug
-Fixed Brimstone + tech/nail bug
-Fixed Mr. Bombs recharge bug
-Fixed Eves unlocking (now unlocked by meeting satan 2 times and getting 2 items from him)
-Added info subtext for all new items

Masaki_

Is Brimstone still one heart and can it damage Satan now? Because it's definitely the most broken power-up in the game if it can.

BigAT

Masaki_ said:
Is Brimstone still one heart and can it damage Satan now? Because it's definitely the most broken power-up in the game if it can.
It's still one heart, I haven't personally tested it but the patch was supposed to make it work on Satan.

Looks like The Nail got nerfed, only 1 heart now instead of 2. It probably needed it, but it's still a bummer considering how out of control it used to be.

backlot

Masaki_ said:
Yup, it works on Satan now. I just did it.

That final battle was pretty great though. A lot of great new stuff in this patch.

wutwutwut

fresquito said:
I read this game is made in flash and saves are stored in the cache, has this been changed after the Halloween update?
The game's still in Flash but unlocks are no longer stored in the Flash cache. They're stored in a file called serial.txt in the game folder.

Giard

I unlocked Eve, and the next time I played the game, she became locked again :(
I haven't lost my collection though..not sure what happened.

Is there any way to review the effect of an item you've already picked up? Doesn't seem to be anything in either the pause screen listing of what you've currently got or the collection screen in the main menu.

Masaki_

backlot said:
Yup, it works on Satan now. I just did it.

That final battle was pretty great though. A lot of great new stuff in this patch.

Brimstone + Noose/Lord of the Pit makes the game pretty easy. Not that I'm complaining, I love overpowered stuff in SP games.

And, yeah, overall, pretty damn great game even before the patch. It shits all over major, established AAA titles in terms of sheer replay value.

slidewinder said:
Is there any way to review the effect of an item you've already picked up? Doesn't seem to be anything in either the pause screen listing of what you've currently got or the collection screen in the main menu.

Nope, part of the fun is discovering what each item does. And there's always the internet if you wanna know.

Yeah, it really adds to the fun to alt-tab out of the game to find some random wiki page, one which has a good chance of spoiling me for items I haven't seen yet. Smart!

The collection page, at least, should offer the message that pops up in the lower right for each item when you first pick it up.

Wizpig

So the game basically is "play until you have a lucky run".
Quite a change from the skill-based Super Meat Boy.

Is there any way to get to the items stuck between empty spaces? you can't jump, right?
Is there any tactics to make the Devil appear? the broken items are quite fun to use. (i want the black cat again)

ps. i'm pretty sure it's not my computer, but the game has, er, slowdowns. i know, it's a flash game, but i'm experiencing slowdowns. games like Team Fortress 2 run fine, but this... also, i can't seem to change the resolution in full screen mode.

BigAT

Wizpig said:

Is there any way to get to the items stuck between empty spaces? you can't jump, right?
Is there any tactics to make the Devil appear? the broken items are quite fun to use. (i want the black cat again)

ps. i'm pretty sure it's not my computer, but the game has, er, slowdowns. i know, it's a flash game, but i'm experiencing slowdowns. games like Team Fortress 2 run fine, but this... also, i can't seem to change the resolution in full screen mode.
1. There's several items you can get that will allow you to cross gaps. There's the ladder, as well as several things that will allow you to fly. Also if there are stones near the gap, you can bomb them and they will become a bridge over the gap.

2. There's no scientific formula to it, but I believe you get the Devil room as a reward for doing well on a level. Losing little to no health facing a boss seems to help.

Helmholtz

Wizpig said:
Yeah, it kind of is. And that's one of the major problems I have with the game, and why I liked Meat Boy a lot more. Isaac is still a really fun game though, but it can be frustrating when you get awful drops and items.

Giard

Giard said:
I unlocked Eve, and the next time I played the game, she became locked again :(
I haven't lost my collection though..not sure what happened.
It happened again! Lost Eve after unlocking her again. :(
My collection is as it should be. I even have the Eve's Dead Bird achievement.

Wizpig

Are the slowdowns a Steam exclusive or are they in the DRM free version too?

Oh and what do you need to do to unlock the "The Rock" achievement?

Giard

Wizpig said:
Oh and what do you need to do to unlock the "The Rock" achievement?
I *think* it's just after blowing up a certain number of rocks, or maybe blowing up a certain number of rocks at the same time.

Just unlocked both Magdalene and Cain. I hope they won't bug out on me like Eve.

Masaki_

Wizpig said:

That's funny.

If you think you got skill, then just beat the game without power-ups.

Adam J.

Only way I could beat Mom's Heart was with the Bible. Between the slowdown and playing with keyboard, the game is hard as hell. Still love it though.

anyone have a great joy2key config file for a 360 controller? my left stick is giving me very loose and over movements in all directions.

edit: nvm. read OP and downloaded xpadder config.

Wizpig

Giard said:
I *think* it's just after blowing up a certain number of rocks, or maybe blowing up a certain number of rocks at the same time.

Just unlocked both Magdalene and Cain. I hope they won't bug out on me like Eve.
Thanks, i'm pretty sure my Steam achievements are glitched. (Mac)
Masaki_ said:
That's funny.

If you think you got skill, then just beat the game without power-ups.
What's even more funny is when you have a lucky run and you can shoot crazy lasers and die like 5 times in a row without a Game Over, then have a crappy random (the key word here is random) run and have to play solely based on your skills.
If you simply want to beat the game (once or twice before hardcorz runz) it's just going to be you wasting time until that certain lucky run with easier bosses, easier mini-bosses etc. (like Lust)

Remember when Super Meat Boy was always the same game and if you died there was only one thing to blame -- yourself?
Yup, that's supposed to be my point!

Please, let me assure you that i get the fun of the game being randomized: it's awesome to find new items.
The point here is that some are too strong, some useless and some runs are too broken.

But instead let's have the ME THINK UR BLAMING MY GAME NOOB U THINK U GOT SKILLZ? argument, never heard of that one, fascinating.
i like the game

Masaki_

Wizpig said:
Thanks, i'm pretty sure my Steam achievements are glitched. (Mac)What's even more funny is when you have a lucky run and you can shoot crazy lasers and die like 5 times in a row without a Game Over, then have a crappy random (the key word here is random) run and have to play solely based on your skills.
If you simply want to beat the game (once or twice before hardcorz runz) it's just going to be you wasting time until that certain lucky run with easier bosses, easier mini-bosses etc. (like Lust)

Remember when Super Meat Boy was always the same game and if you died there was only one thing to blame -- yourself?
Yup, that's supposed to be my point!

Please, let me assure you that i get the fun of the game being randomized: it's awesome to find new items.
The point here is that some are too strong, some useless and some runs are too broken.

But instead let's have the ME THINK UR BLAMING MY GAME NOOB U THINK U GOT SKILLZ? argument, never heard of that one, fascinating.
i like the game

That's what I'm doing, because that's what you're complaining about. The game is meant to be played many times. Sometimes you get an easy run and other times, you get difficult runs with bad power-ups, that's how the game's supposed to be.

That said, there are things you can do optimize your chances of beating. Took me maybe around 30 to 40 deaths before I beat the game the first time, because I was not playing the game in the correct way. If you don't want to be spoiled and would rather learn things on your own, don't read this:

1. Pick Cain. He has good damage and speed, but it's really the Lucky Foot item that probably makes him the best character to play. You'll only pick pills with good effects and your chances at winning at slot machines and the cup game increase dramatically. Supposedly also increases the chance of getting "good" items, but that's probably not true.

2. Save keys & bombs: Don't open stores if you don't have at least $7, and even still that's a bit of a gamble, for you're hoping a good item is being sold at half price. Bombs should be used to break rocks and walls, not kill enemies, unless you really have a ton of them.

3. Speaking of bombs, look for odd-colored rocks with an X on them and bomb them to receive guaranteed pick-ups like armor hearts, keys, bombs and you might even find an item that increases damage.

4. Try to find the secret rooms in every level: they're usually placed in a spot with the most adjacent rooms (including diagonally), so you'll probably only need 2 bombs to guess where it is, most of the time. You can find great items or tons of pennies in these rooms.

5. Abuse blood donation machines/beggars/slot machines as much as you can.

6. There are some powerups that will make your life a lot easier, especially in the lower levels, like the ones that allow you more freedom of movement, among them the Ladder, Lord of the Pit and the Noose (unlocked after beating the game twice). You should save your money to get those.

Joe Molotov

I have a good feeling about this run:

MDh9o.jpg

So, got to The Womb, managed to beat Mom's Heart with ridiculously overpowered combination of ouija board, two different distances of flies, meat head, damage at full, range at full, tears at full. Victory!

Unfortunately, I was so focused in my victory that instead of ending the game there, the devil's door popped up and I hopped in towards Womb II, completely forgetting that I was also packing a cats head with 1 life left.

Needless to say I died in the second room because it was my first time there and I had no idea what to expect.

... 38 hours played :|

wrowa

I wish you could take along something into the next run. :| It's meant to be played several times, I know, but for my liking it's more frustrating than rewarding. Ultimately, failed runs are wasted time (If you want to over-exaggerate it) and there's no reward for your accomplishments that would help your chances for the next run...

It's definitely fun to play, but I'm not sure whether or not I have the patience for it.

wrowa said:
I wish you could take along something into the next run. :| It's meant to be played several times, I know, but for my liking it's more frustrating than rewarding. Ultimately, failed runs are wasted time (If you want to over-exaggerate it) and there's no reward for your accomplishments that would help your chances for the next run...

It's definitely fun to play, but I'm not sure whether or not I have the patience for it.
Yes there are. You open up new power ups the more you play.

Joe Molotov

Wasn't careful and had a close call against Gurdy, but I'm back on track. Could use a few more HP Up items. Just found out you can carry a Brimstone charge through a doorway with you, that's helpful to know.

NaHcr.jpg

Spectral Tears are godly. Best power up in the game, especially when you get them alongside the parasite and they're at full speed. Tears which go through obstacles and split into two? Yes fucking please!

Joe Molotov said:
Died in the Mom fight. :'(

There's an extremely damaging trick you can do in the first Mom fight, but only do it if you've either got a load of soul hearts, or just lots of health and guts.

Try and get her to stamp on one of her own body parts. Instantly takes off about 80-85% of her health.

Just going to toss this out there, has anyone got a fix for steam achievements yet? I havent played in about 2 weeks and am hoping someone found a cure. Edmund said it had to do with specific computers but i tried it on both computers I own and thousands of other players arent getting steam achievements (windows)

Red

wrowa said:

Pretty standard for roguelikes to take away all progress on death. That's really central to the design. You learn as you play, that's what carries over. Knowledge.

Oh, it seems Fraps doesn't work in this game, perhaps because its Flash or something. I was in a funny situation that I only had one heart en nine lives because of the cat, too bad I wasted them all on a boss/

So, if I understand correctly, because I think I tried it, with just Brimstone, you can't spam it super fast.

But when you ALSO get Chocolate Milk... you can. UU:

Made it super easy. I almost made it through hell without getting hit even once. Except the the devil. Goddamn.

jgminto

Wish I had known using Bob's Dead Head with Brimstone stops you from charging your shot or using bombs. Fighting the final boss in the Womb and then all I can do is fire Brother Bobby.

Mr_Zombie

Great game but sometimes it's just too random :/

On my recent playthrough on one level most collectable things (keys, bombs), a golden chest and a begger were surrounded by gaps and there was no way to cross them. There was no ladder, no item that allows you to fly and even no magnet (and I've checked every secret room in previous levels). The game basically told me "fuck you, you won't get this!" :(

Mr_Zombie

Unless there is a way to go diagonally, now. If there was a rock it was usually just before the gap so even after destroying the rock I would need to somehow cross the gap.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
late on this one, but what a fun little game!! Only played a few times, but it reminds me of atic atac and the controller thing that is in the OP can't wait to try.

Barely understand how the game works apart from run around and shoot yet, but looking forward to putting stupid hours into this like I did with meatboy.

it's way too early to call, but I think i might be liking it more than meatboy as well. And meatboy is fucking awesome.

Mr_Zombie said:
Unless there is a way to go diagonally, now. If there was a rock it was usually just before the gap so even after destroying the rock I would need to somehow cross the gap.
If you destroy a rock in the direction of the gap, it fills the gap.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Played for a total of 7 hours and FINALLY beat it (well, I beat mom at least!). Made two pacts with the devil, which made all the difference. Brimstone + devil wings + two batteries and that book that protects you from enemies for a short time. I just breezed through the whole thing after struggling so many times before.
This game is really addictive!

Kiriku said:
Played for a total of 7 hours and FINALLY beat it (well, I beat mom at least!). Made two pacts with the devil, which made all the difference. Brimstone + devil wings + two batteries and that book that protects you from enemies for a short time. I just breezed through the whole thing after struggling so many times before.
This game is really addictive!
Oh man, you still have so much of the game to go... I'm still stuck trying to properly finish the game after nearly 40 hours :(

Top Bottom