• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Joe Molotov

Masaki_ said:
I'm afraid you're not yet ready to roll with teh BIG BOYS.

Oh YEAH? Let's see what you have to say now!

JF7ZH.jpg

It only took me 16 hours, but I finally recorded 1 Mom Kill.

ArjanN

Joe Molotov said:
Oh YEAH? Let's see what you have to say now!

It only took me 16 hours, but I finally recorded 1 Mom Kill.

It took me a long time for the first kill as well. It actually gets easier (even though the game actually becomes harder/longer) because you understand the game better, and you've unlocked better items.

Cain is probably the easiest character, although he might seem fragile at first, the rabbit's foot you start out with increases your luck which makes every random element more in your favour, so you get better drops, earn more stuff while gambling etc..

BigAT

ArjanN said:
It took me a long time for the first kill as well. It actually gets easier (even though the game actually becomes harder/longer) because you understand the game better, and you've unlocked better items.

Cain is probably the easiest character, although he might seem fragile at first, the rabbit's foot you start out with increases your luck which makes every random element more in your favour, so you better drops, earn more stuff while gambling etc..
The advantage of having nothing but positive pills should not be overlooked, it's incredibly helpful.

backlot

I've gotta say that Isaac is pretty good after you unlock the D6. Being able to reroll all the pickups until you find something good is really helpful.

Togglesworlh said:
So, if I understand correctly, because I think I tried it, with just Brimstone, you can't spam it super fast.

But when you ALSO get Chocolate Milk... you can. UU:

Made it super easy. I almost made it through hell without getting hit even once. Except the the devil. Goddamn.
I've had this happen two times since, and Jesus it makes the game so ridiculously easy. I'm not 100% on this, but I think the spammable brimstone is just as powerful as a fully charged brimstone.

I finally got the "no hit" cheesemints 'cause I got chocolate milk and brimstone both on the first floor.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
YAY!

306444_10150923657190113_188807710112_21714311_202707137_n.jpg

I found you can basically POWER through the game if you just bleed out your cash and hearts through the slot and blood machines. Blood machines explode eventually and almost always give you a full health recharge with an extra heart container. Cash slot machines once you feed them too heavily with money will pop and give you a dollar or something else.

Hence my stats of awesome you see in the screen.

I dunno, generally when I break blood machines they give 1-2 hearts, which isn't nearly enough if you have an above-stock config. But it's definitely worth it for the blood bag reward if you can swing it.

Also, couldn't find this on the wikia page, but...The Sun tarot card (seems) to work like the bible vs. Mom!

Oh god. I just got the Spelunker Boy achieve and it didn't unlock. Fuuuuuuuck. Does anyone know if achieves are going to be up and running again, or if they're even fucked up for anyone else? pc/steam version if that helps.

and it was close too.

To unlock Cain, do I need to have 55 pennies at once, or just collect them in one playthrough? Gamefaqs claims the former, but the game says the latter.

Enk

makes good threads.
Charge shot + laser eye = instant death on most enemies. Too bad I'll probably never get that combo again.

I love this game. I've probably put almost 20 hours into it already. I wish there were even more random, Roguelike elements, though.

slidewinder said:
To unlock Cain, do I need to have 55 pennies at once, or just collect them in one playthrough? Gamefaqs claims the former, but the game says the latter.

If I recall correctly, you do have to have them all collected at once. The game says you have to collect them all in one playthrough, which is technically correct, but it seems to be misleading because that makes it sound like you can collect a few, spend them, and then collect more to total 55 "collected" during one playthrough. But you have to amass 55 in your inventory at one time before Cain unlocks.

Ionic

fresquito said:
I'd like to have some info on the objects while I play. Some are self explanatory, but others are really obscure.

You have to use them to know what they do. Such is the way of the roguelike.

boutrosinit

Ionic said:
You have to use them to know what they do. Such is the way of the roguelike.

That, or there's the wiki.

BTW, used Brimstone (giant blood puke beam like the GOATSE enemies). Great power, but the charge demand means you have to adopt a run-away strategy while charging the beam. Makes the game tougher in some respects, while bosses are a cakewalk.

Also, unlocked EVE finally. Very weak character, but she has two cool features in that if she gets hit, she spawns a bird that attacks enemies, and if she gets hit too much, she turns into a demon. Though I didn't have enough time to play with it, as I died with her, twice in a row, real easy.

:(

Therion

I just had an interesting bug happen. I kept thinking I was having a bunch of near misses, but when I finally stopped and tested it, it turned out that I wasn't taking any damage at all. Nothing that touched me did any damage and I could happily walk into enemies and push them around the room. This lasted throughout all of the depths, getting me the Dark Boy achievement. Then it sadly went away for the womb levels. Then it came back for Sheol!

I'm not sure what caused it. At first I was thinking it was some kind of leftover invincibility from the pony, but since I left that behind early in the game I don't know why it would come back in Sheol. It could also have been from Greed, since he was the first enemy I found in Sheol and his shots have a special effect that could have been bugged.

Anyway, it was cool to have once, but it makes for a pretty boring game when you can just stand there and shoot everything without having to dodge.

boutrosinit said:
BTW, used Brimstone (giant blood puke beam like the GOATSE enemies). Great power, but the charge demand means you have to adopt a run-away strategy while charging the beam. Makes the game tougher in some respects, while bosses are a cakewalk.

I had that + chocolate milk on my last playthrough. It was awesome.

Mr_Zombie

Wohoo! I killed mom :D.

I ended the game with Distant Admiration, Brimstone (!), Chocolate Milk (!!) and Lord of the Pit; having about 7 hearts and 3 soul hearts made the mother boss fight a piece of cake :D.

Basically, Brimstone + Chocolate Milk = instant win.

boutrosinit

Found a NASTY bug that got me killed on a good run :(

If you find the zombie head when you have Brimstone, DO NOT pick it up. You'll be stuck with it unable to throw or use anything. Then you have to kill yourself as you can't do anything other than run around holding a zombie head in the air. :(

Well this is annoying. Out of literally nowhere, after over 40 hours of no problems whatsoever, the game is now running like complete and utter shit... I'm going to go ahead and think its got something to do with a flash update that happened earlier on when I was trying to install DC Universe Online...

This game is kinda getting me annoyed with it's randomness.

I seem to be getting the same crappy upgrades every floor. If I get Mom's items and no damage boosts again my head might explode. I barely seem to get space bar items too which is becoming a bummer.

boutrosinit

Beelzeboss said:
This game is kinda getting me annoyed with it's randomness.

I seem to be getting the same crappy upgrades every floor. If I get Mom's items and no damage boosts again my head might explode. I barely seem to get space bar items too which is becoming a bummer.

Sometimes it's the character you pick (I think). I had a few playthroughs with Eve and barely EVER got a decent upgrade or space item.

boutrosinit said:
Sometimes it's the character you pick (I think). I had a few playthroughs with Eve and barely EVER got a decent upgrade or space item.

Yeah, I wonder about that too. I haven't unlocked Eve yet, but I seem to have the shittiest luck when I play as Judas. I get the lamest upgrades that aren't even worth picking up most of the time.

Or maybe it just looks that bad compared to playing as Cain.

When I played as Magdalene, I never seem to get anything that ups damage or range, but I get all the health extenders. I don't think it's coincidence.

Flynn

It could just be that random is random (especially with such a big pool to draw from).

Then, of course, the lucky foot reduces the amount of straight negative items (like hurtful pills) that drop.

fresquito

Yeah, when random means that you get space item after space item it's really annoying. It's like you've only got one item through the whole thing!

Benedict

platypotamus said:
When I played as Magdalene, I never seem to get anything that ups damage or range, but I get all the health extenders. I don't think it's coincidence.

I have gotten items that ups damage and range as Magdalene several times.

Mr_Zombie

What's the point of enemies dropping keys and coins in the womb when there's no shop or the room with special item? I obtained 11 keys during two levels of the womb and had nowhere to use them :/.

fresquito

Is there any bug with the black cat or it's just the shittiest item ever? I had six hearts, it asked me two of them. I paid, I lost five hearts and had nine lives... WTF?!

BlueLegs

Mr_Zombie said:
What's the point of enemies dropping keys and coins in the womb when there's no shop or the room with special item? I obtained 11 keys during two levels of the womb and had nowhere to use them :/.
Coins can be used for the gambling items like slot machines and beggars. The keys can be used for the golden chests. Outside of that, both do not have much use at that stage of the game.

fresquito said:
Is there any bug with the black cat or it's just the shittiest item ever? I had six hearts, it asked me two of them. I paid, I lost five hearts and had nine lives... WTF?!
Yeahhhhh. And even if you get more hearts after picking up the cat, you lose them upon death.

The cat is one of the worst items in the game. X:

wutwutwut

BlueLegs said:
Coins can be used for the gambling items like slot machines and beggars. The keys can be used for the golden chests. Outside of that, both do not have much use at that stage of the game.
If you have the lucky foot (and therefore have a higher chance of winning at the slot machine) then coins are really useful to farm bombs, pills, keys and soul hearts. I got a bunch of health up pills once in the womb 2.

Forkball

I got it recently, pretty fun and demented. At first I didn't really enjoy it because it seemed too difficult and unforgiving, but if you can manage to get some decent powerups the game is a lot of fun and exciting. I've only gotten to The Caves II in my playthrough, I hate those stupid skull enemies that can only be killed when they pop up and shoot at you.

And poor Isaac. Most empathetic game protagonist of all time?

vitacola

vitacola said:
Does anyone know where the Humble Voxatron Debut version of the game (Win/NonSteam) stores the saves?
No one? I'm afraid because I know it's a flash game. There was some instructions on the Steam board, but it's down ...

EDIT: It shares the save with the Steam version.

Top Bottom