• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

I picked it up because, ya know, $5 and all, even if some of the issue bug me.

I'll wait to start once I hear the achievement issues are all cleared up, at least.

Does anybody know where the game's save is located? Can this be put into the OP with a warning to back it up regularly due to any PC maintenance program's ability to delete it?

Jasoco

Banned
The soundtrack is awesome. My favorite tracks are Sacrificial, $4cR1f1c14|_ (16-bit version) and Repentant. (Is used in the trailer) Also the intro is awesome with the voiceover and the music that plays.

Remy

arts&crafts said:
Anyone know how to delete saves. I deleted local content, then reinstalled but the save is still there. I want to delete it all and start from scratch to see if achievements will work.

There's a button on the left side of the Collection screen (just off the main menu) that'll let you delete your save.

Disregard my previous post, the next update will avert the Flash save woes.

2rcs9km.png

Kyuur

Still haven't beaten this... got to the 'final' boss once but died just before killing her. I've unlocked the two non-hidden characters and just found something really interesting on my last playthrough:
The Womb! Got the shovel, thought to myself 'what would happen if I use this on this last floor?' and sure enough... Probably one of the extra endings? I wonder how far down you can go using the the Shovel. Anyone else get here?

Edit:
Unless the game doesn't end with just mom and that comes after? I figured I had found something secret, but now that I think about it. xD

BigAT

Kyuur said:
Still haven't beaten this... got to the 'final' boss once but died just before killing her. I've unlocked the two non-hidden characters and just found something really interesting on my last playthrough:
The Womb! Got the shovel, thought to myself 'what would happen if I use this on this last floor?' and sure enough... Probably one of the extra endings? I wonder how far down you can go using the the Shovel. Anyone else get here?

Edit:
Unless the game doesn't end with just mom and that comes after? I figured I had found something secret, but now that I think about it. xD
You unlock
The Womb normally after you defeat Mom for the first time. You only actually get there by playing through and defeating Mom a second time though.

brian

So I've unlocked 5 of the "full game" endings and I can't believe these even qualify as "endings". They're complete garbage (and nearly identical), and I can't believe they had the balls to use multiple endings as a selling point if this is what we get.

I'm still playing this game because it's fun, but the lack of actual endings is disappointing.

Also, I can't believe I've played all the way through this game 6 times now and there are still a few bosses I haven't seen
(Loki and Death)

brian said:
So I've unlocked 5 of the "full game" endings and I can't believe these even qualify as "endings". They're complete garbage (and nearly identical), and I can't believe they had the balls to use multiple endings as a selling point if this is what we get.
It's a fucking roguelike. YOU CRAZY, SON.

It just clicked for me this time, probably because I had a powerup-heavy run. Two doses of 'roids does some truely horrific stuff to the guy...

I beat Mom! I had an awesome run where I traded in two hearts for the 'nine lives' thing, but ended up getting 5 more hearts anyway. I also got 4 fuckin speed upgrades. I was like a damn neutrino up in that piece.

Sykotik

Shit, my game hasn't saved since the first time I played it. I probably have something set on flash that's keeping it from doing so. I just figured since it was a rogue-like I had to unlock everything in 1 play-through and call it good.

jgminto

It is so annoying when this game crashes. I had xray vision again and just got Basement Boy when it crashed. And what makes it worse is it's such a good game and I really want to keep playing but it's frustrating. Hurry up and patch this up.

brian

I don't care about the story, but if one of the game's selling points is having all these multiple endings to unlock, and considering how great SMB's cut scenes were, I'm slightly disappointed that there wasn't any effort put into it.

Adam J.

brian said:
I don't care about the story, but if one of the game's selling points is having all these multiple endings to unlock, and considering how great SMB's cut scenes were, I'm slightly disappointed that there wasn't any effort put into it.

Cut'em some slack though--game was made in what, 3 months? Also, it costs less than a sandwich at Arby's.

brian said:
Well I haven't seen the extra endings (only the one for winning the first time), but I found the intro and that ending to be more satisfying than any of the cutscenes in Super Meat Boy.

brian

Adam J. said:
Cut'em some slack though--game was made in what, 3 months? Also, it costs less than a sandwich at Arby's.

I love the game regardless... it's only a minor disappointment. I would just like to have a little added incentive to finish the game 8 times, if that's what I'm expected to do.

Does anyone feel like the difficulty of this game has been vastly overstated? I'm finding it fairly easy once I played it a bit and learned how it works. By shooter standards, the action is pretty tame.. All of the reviews make a big issue about the difficulty because when you die, you start from the beginning. But the game (often) hooks you up with enough life and upgrades to stay alive once you learn how to beat the different types of enemies and bosses. And it can be completed from beginning to full game end in under an hour, so it's not like it is an enormous time/effort investment if you die.

I really like the way the game buffs you up helps keep you alive if you play smart, but I would like to see it continue for longer after the last level and get significantly harder. There's still a lot of room to expand on this game, so I'm hoping the planned October add-on will add to the challenge... or I will pay good money for an expansion or sequel down the road.

Togglesworlh said:
Well I haven't seen the extra endings (only the one for winning the first time), but I found the intro and that ending to be more satisfying than any of the cutscenes in Super Meat Boy.

It's not necessarily that the endings are bad (which they are...short and pointless), it's that they are nearly identical to each other (except for the first ending).

Gilby

brian said:
I love the game regardless... it's only a minor disappointment. I would just like to have a little added incentive to finish the game 8 times, if that's what I'm expected to do.

Does anyone feel like the difficulty of this game has been vastly overstated? I'm finding it fairly easy once I played it a bit and learned how it works. By shooter standards, the action is pretty tame.. All of the reviews make a big issue about the difficulty because when you die, you start from the beginning. But the game (often) hooks you up with enough life and upgrades to stay alive once you learn how to beat the different types of enemies and bosses. And it can be completed from beginning to full game end in under an hour, so it's not like it is an enormous time/effort investment if you die.

I really like the way the game buffs you up helps keep you alive if you play smart, but I would like to see it continue for longer after the last level and get significantly harder. There's still a lot of room to expand on this game, so I'm hoping the planned October add-on will add to the challenge... or I will pay good money for an expansion or sequel down the road.

Very well said. There could have easily been either another few levels OR a never-ending mode that got progressively harder (which is what I expected the game to be originally). I also wish there were item descriptions on the collection screen so that I could easily see what everything does. Still a fun game though, despite those issues.

brian said:
It's not necessarily that the endings are bad (which they are...short and pointless), it's that they are nearly identical to each other (except for the first ending).
Fair enough. I guess I just didn't buy it for the story. In fact, I didn't even know there was one until I started it up and that intro played. U:

I agree that it has a ton of room for expansion. Roguelikes usually do! It's one of the best things about them. I hope he supports it for a while, even after the October update.

(And I REALLY hope he fixes the framerate.)

Captain_Spanky said:
A load of my progress just got deleted, included an unlocked Cain. What gives?
It's a Flash game. Saves are stored in the Flash cache. Which is deleted by any and all PC maintenance tools. If you've run CCleaner or some similar tool (or if you have running basic maintenance in the background), that's what happened. Apparently, one of the next updates is supposed to address this.

this game is AMAZING

i think i might like it even more than super meat boy.

it's a great mix of random and designed. all of your items and upgrades, of which there are plenty, are randomized, as is the order of the rooms, while the rooms themselves are designed to be optimal with the enemies. every time i play it, it's a new experience.

it's also completely messed up and i love that. edmund always makes the grossest ass shit... has anybody played that game from him where you play as a dick shooting cum into some kind of grotesque pussy? lol. this one has the bloodiest, most disgusting enemies of any action-rpg yet. and isaac's story is disturbing, it's no wonder he's always crying.

having your upgrades appear on your person is also great, especially when they're all screwed up one way or another. a coat hanger through your head while wearing your mom's lipstick... who would've thought? lol

also, the difficulty and limited resources is much appreciated too. even though it's hard as shit, it's still perfectly balanced, it's never unfair.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I made it to the boss after Mom. Easy boss but I only had one heart when I got there so I only got him down to half life and died. I found out I can just use bombs to get through doors in difficult rooms on my way to the boss in the tough areas (if I have a surplus).

PixyJunket said:
It's a Flash game. Saves are stored in the Flash cache. Which is deleted by any and all PC maintenance tools. If you've run CCleaner or some similar tool (or if you have running basic maintenance in the background), that's what happened. Apparently, one of the next updates is supposed to address this.

Weirdly it wasn't all my progress though, just my last 3 or so playthroughs. It was terribly bizarre.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I see in the op there is a way to get gamepad support, is that for pc only or does it work on mac too?

Gala

If Im lucky, I get to the 3rd level, but I usually I get my ass kicked somewhere in the 2nd level. But damn, it is so much fun! Totally addicting!

Captain_Spanky said:
Weirdly it wasn't all my progress though, just my last 3 or so playthroughs. It was terribly bizarre.
Hmm, well there seem to be some other save bugs apparently by taking a quick peek at the Steam forum for the game.

Hopefully this next patch fixes everything up so I can play, but I'm guessing they don't approve patches on the weekend so it'll probably be Monday.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I ate a red pill and I think it gave me cancer :(

eBdLp.png

Has anyone had this? What does it to?

Ignore the key hole in my forehead, that's an x99 key pick up I got earlier.

edit: LASER TEARS AHMAHGAWD

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would so buy this but I've been stuck with 2.50 in funds for over a month thanks to being unemployed at the moment :/

Tore through the womb last night (hoho) and beat the final final boss, didn't seem as bad as some of you were making out but maybe it was the powerups I had. Chocolate milk made short work of the bosses and I maxed out my health and had a bunch of projectile shields by the end. Unlocked all characters, found 81 items and 25 secrets so far. Really addictive and fun little game anyway, been worth every penny. Think I'm going to take a break from it now until the content update.

Flynn

Brobzoid said:
I ate a red pill and I think it gave me cancer :(

eBdLp.png

Has anyone had this? What does it to?

Ignore the key hole in my forehead, that's an x99 key pick up I got earlier.

edit: LASER TEARS AHMAHGAWD

I like shooting poo with my laser tears.

Anyone get the
Everything's Terrible!
ending yet? Pretty damn hilarious considering how the other endings went.

Unfortunately the game aint kidding about the increased difficulty :/

Red

Finally got some time to put into the game. Got up to the level before the last, died at Monstro II. Almost had him, and died by running into a fly
LLShC.gif

Had vampirism, fly halo, brother bobby, mom's underwear, a spoon, and something boosting my tear power (which got negated by a damn ???? pill).

Cool powerups that I'm sad to see go.

How do you locate the items that appear after defeating bosses? Are they in secret rooms or something? I had a radioactive spider and a spelunker appear, but couldn't find them.

Crunched said:
Finally got some time to put into the game. Got up to the level before the last, died at Monstro II. Almost had him, and died by running into a fly
LLShC.gif

Had vampirism, fly halo, brother bobby, mom's underwear, a spoon, and something boosting my tear power (which got negated by a damn ???? pill).

Cool powerups that I'm sad to see go.

How do you locate the items that appear after defeating bosses? Are they in secret rooms or something? I had a radioactive spider and a spelunker appear, but couldn't find them.

"A new item" has appeared just means it can be randomly generated as a power up.

Red

Inflammable Slinky said:
"A new item" has appeared just means it can be randomly generated as a power up.
Ah - is that permanent or only for the current game?

Also: am I right in thinking that there are enemies in The Depths that are anthropomorphic vaginas, that shoot massive blood lasers at you?

Joe Molotov

Crunched said:
Ah - is that permanent or only for the current game?

Also: am I right in thinking that there are enemies in The Depths that are anthropomorphic vaginas, that shoot massive blood lasers at you?

Goatse

Top Bottom