• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

tw1164

I finally got platinum. I started playing on 11/4/14, and finished up today. The last item I had to hunt down was a counterfeit penny.

Afrodium

Banned
I just finished beating every boss with every character, plus boss rush (except for The Lost). I just need to complete all of the challenges for Platinum God, right?

SerTapTap

I just finished beating every boss with every character, plus boss rush (except for The Lost). I just need to complete all of the challenges for Platinum God, right?

Also COLLECT all of the items I'm afraid. Definitely do not start collecting until all are unlocked.

Keinu

I've filled out the post it note on all characters on normal (except the lost) and about 1/3 of them on hard. Today I did an Eve run on hard and managed to beat boss rush and mom's heart. I did not pick up any +1 life, but after the run when I went back to the post it note Eve was still blank. Also, the co-op baby did not unlock when killing mom's heart.

Not only that, but all my other characters had the same post it note on both hard and normal. If I had filled out a note on hard it was also filled out on normal, but if it was blank on hard it was also blank on normal. Tried restarting the game, but that didn't change anything. Anyone else experienced this and is there a fix or something? Don't wanna start all over again to be honest. Great game, but if progress can be wiped out like that it kinda ruins it.

Salsa

ztLBJCf.png

well im late

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh shit! Hope they're better than Lord of Flies but that sounds great.

I guess we should do a second OT for Afterbirth or?

Might be better to do that closer to release, but it's a good idea. I can't wait for all this stuff to be added, and I haven't even seen all that Rebirth has to offer, haha.

I don't think Lord of the Flies is bad, per se. I see it as a little bonus for happening to collect three fly items, not something you should be shaping your run towards.

SerTapTap

Might be better to do that closer to release, but it's a good idea. I can't wait for all this stuff to be added, and I haven't even seen all that Rebirth has to offer, haha.

I don't think Lord of the Flies is bad, per se. I see it as a little bonus for happening to collect three fly items, not something you should be shaping your run towards.

It's just weird that it's actually quite a lot rarer than Guppy but way less significant. I guess flying is cool but at least in Rebirth I find flying really often without it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's just weird that it's actually quite a lot rarer than Guppy but way less significant. I guess flying is cool but at least in Rebirth I find flying really often without it.

Is it all that rare though? There are 12 fly items, and only 6 Guppy items, so you're much more likely to get Lord of the Flies than a Guppy transformation. I suppose they also come from a bigger pool of items though, whereas Guppy stuff is more likely to be in a Devil room so you might come across it sooner. I think I got Lord of the Flies in one of, if not my first playthroughs though, so that might have affected the way I think about it.

SerTapTap

Is it all that rare though? There are 12 fly items, and only 6 Guppy items, so you're much more likely to get Lord of the Flies than a Guppy transformation. I suppose they also come from a bigger pool of items though, whereas Guppy stuff is more likely to be in a Devil room so you might come across it sooner. I think I got Lord of the Flies in one of, if not my first playthroughs though, so that might have affected the way I think about it.

Red Chests and Devil Deals make guppy WAY more common. Lord of the Flies would be extremely common except Pretty Fly from slot machines doesn't count toward it. I've been guppy a couple dozen times and Lord of the Flies less than five.

BigAT

I definitely get Guppy way more than Lord of the Flies, but I'm also much more aware of and driven towards doing whatever needs to be done to get Guppy items.

SerTapTap

Yeah that's the thing, you can't really be driven towards Lord of the Flies, it depends mostly on treasure room items. If it's not in the stop, red chests or devil deal rooms it's really hard to actively try to get any item/set.

Afrodium

Banned
Did anyone else retroactively get a bunch of trophies on PS4 today? There's no update that I can find, but the trophy bug must have been fixed.

SerTapTap

Did anyone else retroactively get a bunch of trophies on PS4 today? There's no update that I can find, but the trophy bug must have been fixed.

An update a while ago (the PC parity one?) allegedly did that for some people. I bit the bullet and got mine on a second file long ago so I dunno myself.

Stat!

It did. The Ps4 updated unlocked all my glitched trophies for platinum. Now, I'm just doing Eden runs on hard (they also fixed hard drops too).

SerTapTap

Afterbirth update 5, including some changes that may be made to The Lost and Ed's opinion of the character.

I still don't agree with his reasoning on The Lost especially since unlocks are tied to it, but some of the additions mentioned could make it slightly less of a nightmare. Though IMO just the Mantle would be the single best fix. Someone on Reddit suggested a spacebar use item that gives you the mantle effect for the room too, which could make it more deliberate I guess.

CassSept

Spectral tears would be huge and of course D6 is a great item but I'm not sure that's the correct way to address the problem. Sure, it solves a lot of headaches but you are still going to come upon bs one-hit deaths that spectral tears don't solve. Part of the game's appeal, perhaps, but in this case taken to an un-fun extreme.

SerTapTap

Spectral tears will be great for normal enemies but yeah do almost nothing to do with the more BS deaths like two Adversaries using the blood laser at once. Rarely useful for bosses in general actually. D6 would at least make finding such a defensive item much less of a chore though, and heck The Lost kinda deserves it with the amount of items that are totally useless to it.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
The lost needs to be changed. 1 more speed plus 1 range or start with holy mantle or something. Half the potential pick ups being useless plus dying in one hit is so dumb. It's killed any interest I had in trying to unlock his stuff. He should have better stats, gain eternal hearts or have his potential drops improved/filtered.

I wish they'd up the appearance of some the rare items too. Been playing since launch and still never seen raw liver.

Stat!

I haven't played the Lost sine unlocking all of its secret unlocks. Its not really a fun character to play. Maybe if the d6 + spectral tears would be a good start but its not that much fun to play as.

Stoze

Afterbirth update 5, including some changes that may be made to The Lost and Ed's opinion of the character.

I still don't agree with his reasoning on The Lost especially since unlocks are tied to it, but some of the additions mentioned could make it slightly less of a nightmare. Though IMO just the Mantle would be the single best fix. Someone on Reddit suggested a spacebar use item that gives you the mantle effect for the room too, which could make it more deliberate I guess.

Yeah I agree. I kinda found it laughable that he still considers it rewarding and fun, and everything with this just seems wrong: "the lost totally changes the game and makes you rethink every items power level.. and that’s just good game design"....are you serious Edmund?

Like you said, just give it the Mantle. If people want a hardcore challenge, then include an option to make so whatever character you play as dies in one hit. I've said it before, but the concept of the Lost should be a menu option and not a character.

Just remove it completely. There is no redemption, burn it to the ground.

This. If he puts new unlocks with the Lost in the new game I will be geniuely dissapointed, it's a waste of effort. Just drop the character, it sucks. Giving it the D6 seems like a pathetic repair considering that's already Isaac's identifying trait.

SerTapTap

Yeah, I kinda understand what he means about wanting a super challenge for the super hardcore, but you can't lock content behind that and then expect completionists not to care about it. Even if his items are mostly boring (if good) other than Godhead. It would have to be equivalent to a self-imposed challenge with no real unlock to not bug people (even then I think it's a shitty challenge.)

Has there been any update on when the next patch might hit? I want my goddamn platinum trophy.

Not sure what's left to patch? Trophy bugs seem to be fixed and occasionally seem to pop retroactively upon starting the game though I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah, I kinda understand what he means about wanting a super challenge for the super hardcore, but you can't lock content behind that and then expect completionists not to care about it. Even if his items are mostly boring (if good) other than Godhead. It would have to be equivalent to a self-imposed challenge with no real unlock to not bug people (even then I think it's a shitty challenge.)

Not sure what's left to patch? Trophy bugs seem to be fixed and occasionally seem to pop retroactively upon starting the game though I'm not exactly sure what's going on with that.
The trophy bug is NOT fixed. I've been sitting here with real platinum god on my save file for like 2 months now and the 2 plat god trophies don't pop. I'm patiently waiting for this to be fixed.

Salsa

Azazel is fuckin ridiculous

CD2A89A80CCC96BA36585FAB06840383DB7997AA

3BEDBF30D42DFFB96A59031D5BD5FA5E0F0829C8

easy to get insane combos

actually kinda think he should be nerfed. already unlocked every char

SerTapTap

The trophy bug is NOT fixed. I've been sitting here with real platinum god on my save file for like 2 months now and the 2 plat god trophies don't pop. I'm patiently waiting for this to be fixed.

Huh, anyone know what the deal is with trophies popping retroactively? Is there some trigger? I know of friends that had it happen but maybe only certain trophies pop?

Nah, Azazel is fine. Since the game has tons of character-specific unlocks having one character brokenly good doesn't actually do much to break the game itself. It's just easy mode and great for new/poor players. And by post-Womb he's really not super amazingly more powerful than most characters should end up unless you've gotten certain Brimstone-synergizing items (and some of those don't even work with Azazel).

If you manage to even come across it...

Yeah, that's the one problem. Never naturally seen Godhead after unlocking it. Angel rooms suck in almost every possible way.

Speaking of angel rooms, really hope they give more reason/ability to fight Mega Satan. In terms of awesome gameplay/rewards The Lost and Mega Satan should really be swapped. Mega Satan is fun as hell to play as, no rewards. The Lost is shit to play as, has the most rewards of any character. Though I think Afterbirth is giving us more incentive to fight him right?

Stat!

Have you tried deleting the file, then downloading it again? Or loading the game and watching the entire opening cutscene? Worked for me which gave me platinum.

If you manage to even come across it...

I think its more cause you don't get angel precedent and its rare someone makes an angel run due to the amount of benefit you get from devil rooms (which not only give precedent but allow you to get damage items).

In Isaac, offense > defense, and angel rooms don't really give you that. I think if angel rooms gave you an item each time guaranteed and had a bigger pool, people might choose them more often.

Azazel is IMO the "easy" mode of the game. Instead of making an easy mode, they added this character. Given the fool card, he's basically given an extra item too from boss rush.

SerTapTap

I think its more cause you don't get angel precedent and its rare someone makes an angel run due to the amount of benefit you get from devil rooms (which not only give precedent but allow you to get damage items).

In Isaac, offense > defense, and angel rooms don't really give you that. I think if angel rooms gave you an item each time guaranteed and had a bigger pool, people might choose them more often.

Azazel is IMO the "easy" mode of the game. Instead of making an easy mode, they added this character. Given the fool card, he's basically given an extra item too from boss rush.

Angel rooms are just problematic all around. You can't really guarantee them, so you might be giving up your Devil Deal for absolutely nothing, let alone the fact that what's in them usually isn't as good as what's in the devil deal. It would be cool if there were some other way to influence which you get. I don't entirely mind Angel Rooms but they're not worth actively avoiding devil deals for no matter how you slice it.

Just making angel rooms better doesn't even really fix the problem, they're too bad AND too hard to get. They need a rethink at their core IMO. It should be a choice between two kinds of items that are different but not entirely worse, and I also wish Mega Satan weren't tied to them because he's a super awesome fight that's really hard to actually reliably get. And yeah you're right, even the best defensive items are usually a joke compared to the best offensive items. Isaac just plays better and usually safer with good offense over good defense (and that's good IMO).

Regarding Azazel's fool card, I wonder if that's intentional now that I think about it. This is usually how I burn my Fool card if I see something nice before I ditch it.

CassSept

Since I'm on PC and didn't get a chance to exploit seed glitch I've been doing quick runs every now and then trying to get Godhead. Azazel, straight to the boss, all the way through Womb I, reset. Usually takes 15 mins or less per run.

I still don't have Plat God even though I must have logged 20 or so hours doing this, if not more. It's infuriating. I've seen so many rare items, I think I even got Sacred Heart twice.

Stat!

Angel rooms are just problematic all around. You can't really guarantee them, so you might be giving up your Devil Deal for absolutely nothing, let alone the fact that what's in them usually isn't as good as what's in the devil deal. It would be cool if there were some other way to influence which you get. I don't entirely mind Angel Rooms but they're not worth actively avoiding devil deals for no matter how you slice it.

Just making angel rooms better doesn't even really fix the problem, they're too bad AND too hard to get. They need a rethink at their core IMO. It should be a choice between two kinds of items that are different but not entirely worse, and I also wish Mega Satan weren't tied to them because he's a super awesome fight that's really hard to actually reliably get. And yeah you're right, even the best defensive items are usually a joke compared to the best offensive items. Isaac just plays better and usually safer with good offense over good defense (and that's good IMO).

Regarding Azazel's fool card, I wonder if that's intentional now that I think about it. This is usually how I burn my Fool card if I see something nice before I ditch it.

Concerning Azazel, its absolutely why they included it IMO. I always keep my fool cards because with Azazel (though its rare I play as him), 85% of the time, Im making boss rush which means a free item.

Success in Isaac is always geared towards to high damage/low health than low damage/high health. I think you are right regarding a lot of Angel Room stuff. Angel Room runs are rare since you don't really get success in the same way as Devil rooms. I think guaranteeing items help. I think if you have the D6, angel room runs have the potential to be awesome.

I think regarding the Mega Satan fight, I'll really only do it if I get Dad's Key as while the fight is fun, usually if I decide to fight Mega Satan, its cause I have a great damage.

I don't think I've gone to the Dark Room in forever either though.

SerTapTap

Well the good thing about Mega Satan is there's very little risk in bombing the angel status, it's just a single bomb each and a short fun fight, so every time I get an angel room I'll bomb 'em. I'm not willing to deliberately skip devil deals just to take a shot at it though, so I usually only even get a chance if a devil deal is totally unappealing earlier in the run. I think I only got to fight him 4 times and I've got the platinum trophy, pretty sad.

The D6 is interesting, it means the angel rooms are fairly exploitable due to the angel drop. That's a really specific perk since it pretty much only applies to Isaac, but most people end up playing only Isaac after a while anyway. Or Eden now it seems.

Since I'm on PC and didn't get a chance to exploit seed glitch I've been doing quick runs every now and then trying to get Godhead. Azazel, straight to the boss, all the way through Womb I, reset. Usually takes 15 mins or less per run.

I still don't have Plat God even though I must have logged 20 or so hours doing this, if not more. It's infuriating. I've seen so many rare items, I think I even got Sacred Heart twice.

The requirement that you PICK UP items without using seeds is ridiculous, I see no reason why they couldn't allow seeds for item collection ONLY. It's kinda cool to force players to use every item in the game at least once, but seeded runs do that just fine.

And putting the item almost everyone is certain to unlock dead last in the Angel Room is just a dick move.

SerTapTap

Oh right I forgot about Steven. I guess I got super lucky, no problems getting him. There's actually quite a few nightmare items--secret room pool only items, Godhead, Steven, lvl 4 meat/bandage. I don't know about you all, but I had way more trouble finding secret-room only items than Angel Room items, other than using a seed for Godhead.

CassSept

Oh right I forgot about Steven. I guess I got super lucky, no problems getting him. There's actually quite a few nightmare items--secret room pool only items, Godhead, Steven, lvl 4 meat/bandage. I don't know about you all, but I had way more trouble finding secret-room only items than Angel Room items, other than using a seed for Godhead.

I actually got lucky and ran into secret room item when I had infinite rerolls setup. I wanted to get an angel room (for Godhead, gosh it was 4 months ago) but got my final secret room instead. Still missing Godhead and Steven.

Though I still had not been able to legitimately complete Meat Boy/Bandage Girl either.

CassSept

Just get the infinite item use setup. Get Isaac, Scapular and Sharp Plug. Then you need three item rooms, in the first reroll for an item that changes your tears into any sort of explosion (Ipecac, both Fetuses), Pyro and finally Monster Manual. Spam it until you get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. Done.

Top Bottom