• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Have you tried deleting the file, then downloading it again? Or loading the game and watching the entire opening cutscene? Worked for me which gave me platinum.
I didn't actually read this post before I did it, but yeah watching the full opening cutscene appears to be what just triggered it.

CassSept

Wow, I got teleported to I am Error room in The Chest, I gathered items and respawned in a new Chest, complete with 4 new items. Sweet.

I don't find Azazel to be particularly easy anymore, because the only parts of the game that challenge me are Cathedral/Sheol and Dark Room/Chest, and Azazel's range actually makes those as hard for him as for anyone else. Some are harder...I'd go so far as to say that outside of the Lost Azazel is the hardest character to take down Isaac with.

About the only real advantage Azazel has for me is the boss rush item hijack. And shorter runs admittedly.

Wow, I got teleported to I am Error room in The Chest, I gathered items and respawned in a new Chest, complete with 4 new items. Sweet.

Undefined + Spark Plug or Habit is one of the breaking runs for this reason, admittedly a slow one.

So while reading Tyrone Rodriguez's Twitter I hear him casually mention oh yup Isaac N3DS is coming to Europe, but not NZ/Aus.

:(

And just like that my heart is ripped out, f**k I was seriously really looking forward to it as well. I'm use to us not being important, but this one particularly hurts. :(

Finally got the platinum. Steven was the only item left, and it was a pleasant surprise to get it on the first try yesterday after preparing for a long streak of basement resets. I cheated some of the Lost runs by downloading the cloud save a few times, but honestly I don't even feel bad about it given the blatant unfairness. I'll probably do them legit after the Lost gets D4+spectral in Afterbirth, just to tick that box.

The BoS tournament tryouts were fun to watch last weekend. Looking forward to seeing more clutch teleport photo finishes.

SerTapTap

I don't find Azazel to be particularly easy anymore, because the only parts of the game that challenge me are Cathedral/Sheol and Dark Room/Chest, and Azazel's range actually makes those as hard for him as for anyone else. Some are harder...I'd go so far as to say that outside of the Lost Azazel is the hardest character to take down Isaac with.

About the only real advantage Azazel has for me is the boss rush item hijack. And shorter runs admittedly.

His main advantage is blasting through the first few floors with ease, which at the start is the whole game, too. It's really nice to not waste so much time in the boring floors too.

manfestival

I bought the game on steam yesterday because of my interest of watching streamers play it and of course they make the game look WAAAAY easier. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

I have already dropped 3 hours but I still struggle with many of the rooms. Especially ones with the bones that shoot like 3 things when you come out. Like 1 I can handle but like 5? forget it

Vlad

I bought the game on steam yesterday because of my interest of watching streamers play it and of course they make the game look WAAAAY easier. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?

I have already dropped 3 hours but I still struggle with many of the rooms. Especially ones with the bones that shoot like 3 things when you come out. Like 1 I can handle but like 5? forget it

A lot of it just comes down to practice and watching how the enemies attack. Eventually you'll develop the reflexive ability to kind of assess a room as soon as you walk into it. You'll see the enemies in there and immediately know the best way to go about clearing them out.

SerTapTap

1) You will die. A lot. It is a skill based game and while it has a pretty well tuned learning curve, it still takes a while to get used to
2) You're going to have to learn the enemies, and you will probably take damage to or die to every new enemy type or boss, that's fine. As long as you make each death a learning experience and learn what to do to handle what you died to you're still making progress
3) The game is currently in easy mode and gets more complex and harder as you progress farther
4) You will NOT fully understand the game on your own. Don't be afraid to look up specific game mechanics or enemies on the wiki if you want, but don't try to just read the whole wiki before playing or anything. Play, look up, repeat. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki
5) Look up items on www.platinumgod.co.uk I tried not to get TOO many spoilers myself, but IMO there's no harm in looking up an unfamiliar item on plat god to see what it does.
6) Azazel is easy mode, try and unlock him ASAP and mess around with him. Just because he's an easy character doesn't mean playing as him won't teach you to play, however.

manfestival

A lot of it just comes down to practice and watching how the enemies attack. Eventually you'll develop the reflexive ability to kind of assess a room as soon as you walk into it. You'll see the enemies in there and immediately know the best way to go about clearing them out.
I have started to notice myself learning more of these patterns but getting those soul hearts really helps. I die cause of stupid mistakes all of the time because I dont focus.

1) You will die. A lot. It is a skill based game and while it has a pretty well tuned learning curve, it still takes a while to get used to
2) You're going to have to learn the enemies, and you will probably take damage to or die to every new enemy type or boss, that's fine. As long as you make each death a learning experience and learn what to do to handle what you died to you're still making progress
3) The game is currently in easy mode and gets more complex and harder as you progress farther
4) You will NOT fully understand the game on your own. Don't be afraid to look up specific game mechanics or enemies on the wiki if you want, but don't try to just read the whole wiki before playing or anything. Play, look up, repeat. http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki
5) Look up items on www.platinumgod.co.uk I tried not to get TOO many spoilers myself, but IMO there's no harm in looking up an unfamiliar item on plat god to see what it does.
6) Azazel is easy mode, try and unlock him ASAP and mess around with him. Just because he's an easy character doesn't mean playing as him won't teach you to play, however.
I am not too worried about spoilers as I have watched a bunch of streams about the game and everything seems actually pretty fresh because I am running it from the start. Which those guys are hundreds of hours into the game.

That cheat sheet is awesome!

Stat!

If you are having trouble with the bone guys, they won't shoot at you if you hug the walls of a room. They only shoot at you if you are parallel to them as well so try sneaking in some diagonal shots as well.

Above poster has some good advice include the link to platinumgod.

SerTapTap

If you are having trouble with the bone guys, they won't shoot at you if you hug the walls of a room. They only shoot at you if you are parallel to them as well so try sneaking in some diagonal shots as well.

Above poster has some good advice include the link to platinumgod.

I've played this for over a hundred hours and I never noticed that. I don't hug walls though, I like to be able to dodge in any direction at any time. The parallel thing is really important though, hit 'em diagonally and they're toast, or tease 'em to easily dodge the shot.

Stat!

I've played this for over a hundred hours and I never noticed that. I don't hug walls though, I like to be able to dodge in any direction at any time. The parallel thing is really important though, hit 'em diagonally and they're toast, or tease 'em to easily dodge the shot.

Well, its not the best strategy for worrying about them because there are rooms that have walls that aren't huggable. Baiting them or strking them diagonal works best.

I strongly believe in the BoI that its way better to have a great amount of damage and no HP, then average damage but tons of HP. Hitting them before they hit you as oppose to dodging repeatedly.

SerTapTap

Well, its not the best strategy for worrying about them because there are rooms that have walls that aren't huggable. Baiting them or strking them diagonal works best.

I strongly believe in the BoI that its way better to have a great amount of damage and no HP, then average damage but tons of HP. Hitting them before they hit you as oppose to dodging repeatedly.

Yeah the game greatly rewards speed and damage over defense in general. You need to learn to dodge the bones they throw though because unless you have homing shots you're pretty much going to have to trigger their attack on occasion and killing them won't despawn the bone.

SerTapTap

Finally to the point where I just need Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl for RPG

Any tips? It looks like an RNG nightmare

Don't even bother trying to get it legit, just try one of the infinite-reroll methods here, I think Pyromaniac/Sharp Plug is the most popular. If you have a ton of Eden tons you don't mind losing you can try rerolling until you get the book of revs as a starter (or see if it's in the item room) but I personally wouldn't like burning tokens.

BigAT

Finally to the point where I just need Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl for RPG

Any tips? It looks like an RNG nightmare

A lot of people seem to believe otherwise, but simply re-rolling for first floor Book of Revelations worked fine for me and is the easiest method IMO.

CassSept

Oh my god i just found godhead 4 months since I cleared the lost 20 hours of 10-15 mins womb I azazel runs im free somebody hold me please it cant be happening for real amg

Parshias7

Oh my god i just found godhead 4 months since I cleared the lost 20 hours of 10-15 mins womb I azazel runs im free somebody hold me please it cant be happening for real amg

Godhead was either the last or second to last item I ended up finding, and funnily enough it came on a run where I had Mom's Knife so I didn't even get to play around with its effect.

SerTapTap

There there, your nightmare is over

Until Afterbirth comes out and has something even more annoying

A lot of people seem to believe otherwise, but simply re-rolling for first floor Book of Revelations worked fine for me and is the easiest method IMO.

Burnt through all my Eden tokens for a Book of Revelations start. ALL of them.

Got 3 starts, and 3 times I got the wrong boss in the womb.

Just did starts and re-rolls with Isaac and I've just finished betting both Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. I'm one item away from RPG now, and I can't believe what it is....

The Ladder

SerTapTap

Burnt through all my Eden tokens for a Book of Revelations start. ALL of them.

Got 3 starts, and 3 times I got the wrong boss in the womb.

Just did starts and re-rolls with Isaac and I've just finished betting both Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. I'm one item away from RPG now, and I can't believe what it is....

The Ladder

Womb 1 is such a troll even with the fixed meat/bandage spawn thing. And lol the ladder, I remember that was one of the first items I ever got in Vanilla. Good zelda reference, okay at best item. It's kind of a joke now considering how common real flying is in Rebirth

Womb 1 is such a troll even with the fixed meat/bandage spawn thing. And lol the ladder, I remember that was one of the first items I ever got in Vanilla. Good zelda reference, okay at best item. It's kind of a joke now considering how common real flying is in Rebirth

That's why I never picked it up, just never saw the point. Still, I was shocked to see in all these months that was the last thing I needed to go. Done now.

FINALLY!

Roll on Afterbirth

CassSept

There there, your nightmare is over

Until Afterbirth comes out and has something even more annoying

Well, I wish but I still have Steven to go. At least with Steven I won't have to go that far and I doubt it will take me that long considering getting to Basement/Cellar II boss with Azazel takes like 1.5 minute. I'm just glad to be done with Godhead.

Urrrrrgh. Just finishing Boss Rush with the 2 characters I've yet to do it with. Had a good run with Eve, lots of damage, soul/black hearts only, but I had Curse Shot, which meant if I got hit I might be teleported out and lose the chance to beat it...which is exactly what happened on one of the last waves. ;_;

CassSept

dNkK17v.png

Well, now I'm free to play the game.

Jesus, after 25 hours with Azazel it's so weird to go back to no flying and tears.

UberTag

Finally got around to diving into Rebirth over the weekend. Holy hell this game is digital crack for a completionist like myself. I'm drowning in depth.

Thus far I've beaten the full game through Chapter 8 once. Unlocked all of the basic characters. Unlocked all of the donation box goodies (thanks to a convenient slot machine dollar drop and the Vita). Swept up the various "Boy" damage evasion trophies along with Little Baggy. Took out all 7 Sins. Unlocked the Guppy challenge. Unlocked the Book of Revelations by taking out Pestilence. And bested Mom with the Bible.

Now I'm putting the finishing touches on my first Hard run with Magdalene. Figured I'd knock these Hard runs out while I'm unlocking the assorted Mom's Heart endings and respective unlocks. Plan to AVOID any premature Cathedral/Sheol runs until I nab all of them so I don't miss out on any endings.

While tackling these Hard runs, my aim is to unlock all of the alternate floors (Cellar/Catacombs/Necropolis) along with some of the miscellaneous grinding secrets. May also tackle the Super Meat Boy/Super Bandage Girl challenges now that I've got the Book of Revelations unlocked in my item pool.

Any other suggestions for my initial runs through the game? I'm a little intimidated by Boss Rush mode so I plan to save that for last.

SerTapTap

Finally got around to diving into Rebirth over the weekend. Holy hell this game is digital crack for a completionist like myself. I'm drowning in depth.

Thus far I've beaten the full game through Chapter 8 once. Unlocked all of the basic characters. Unlocked all of the donation box goodies (thanks to a convenient slot machine dollar drop and the Vita). Swept up the various "Boy" damage evasion trophies along with Little Baggy. Took out all 7 Sins. Unlocked the Guppy challenge. Unlocked the Book of Revelations by taking out Pestilence. And bested Mom with the Bible.

Now I'm putting the finishing touches on my first Hard run with Magdalene. Figured I'd knock these Hard runs out while I'm unlocking the assorted Mom's Heart endings and respective unlocks. Plan to AVOID any premature Cathedral/Sheol runs until I nab all of them so I don't miss out on any endings.

While tackling these Hard runs, my aim is to unlock all of the alternate floors (Cellar/Catacombs/Necropolis/Utero) along with some of the miscellaneous grinding secrets. May also tackle the Super Meat Boy/Super Bandage Girl challenges now that I've got the Book of Revelations unlocked in my item pool.

Any other suggestions for my initial runs through the game? I'm a little intimidated by Boss Rush mode so I plan to save that for last.

Boss Rush is really not that bad, do it with Azazel and you can basically do it without a single item. Time consuming though. Also the boss rush is the same (in terms of bosses/order) every time so it's not very fun, I almost always ignore it now.

No need to worry about missing out on endings they'll unlock in the menu for you to view any time.

CassSept

Azazel gets a free item from Boss Rush as you can grab one from a pedestal and immediately port out of the room with Fool tarot card.

CassSept

Maybe there was an exploit related to teleportation items? This is just an ordinary use of game mechanics, no different from grabbing an item in challenge room and porting out. I did it as recently as last week and it worked fine, it has to be something different.

Edit: Yeah

Prior to 1.05: using teleporting items very quickly after picking a Boss Rush item prevented the 3 other items from disappearing, allowing you to pick a second item if you go back into the Boss Rush.

Now other pedestals disappear if you port out and come back, I tried that once. So you can still get an easy bonus item as Azazel.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh, you meant just getting the one item and leaving for good, without actually doing the Boss Rush later on? My bad, then.

Oh right, yeah. This is what I meant also. I had no idea there was a previous exploit for getting an additional item. I miss out on all the best exploits!

SerTapTap

Azazel gets a free item from Boss Rush as you can grab one from a pedestal and immediately port out of the room with Fool tarot card.

I know that, but I also mean if you just want to beat the boss rush once/try it out, Azazel is definitely the way to go. Easiest way to make it there in <20 minutes, and even without power ups he can handle any of the bosses in there like Mask of Infamy (though is Infamy nerfed? He seems to go down reasonably fast if you're actually hurting him)

Stat!

I know that, but I also mean if you just want to beat the boss rush once/try it out, Azazel is definitely the way to go. Easiest way to make it there in <20 minutes, and even without power ups he can handle any of the bosses in there like Mask of Infamy (though is Infamy nerfed? He seems to go down reasonably fast if you're actually hurting him)

Totally agree. Its why Azazel is given the fool card (nothing confirmed but I think Azazel is basically designed as the easy mode)

I don't ever really try to go to boss rush unless I have a powerful run and I make it in time. I won't force myself to leave the floor.

How do people play now? Currently, I just do Eden runs on Hard but I used to do a cycle (every character in order from Isaac to Eden and then repeat) on hard before I lost my 48 streak.

SerTapTap

I quit after getting the platinum trophy, just a few quick runs here and there. Eden runs sound fun but I need to play other games. Will wait for Afterbirth.

SerTapTap

I stopped soon after unlocking "the final character". Played a few runs with him but it wasn't fun at all.

I would have quit then or shortly after if I couldn't do the seed exploit. It was actually pretty fun with the Holy Mantle except that I got the same run every time of course which is a bit boring.

Akai__

I've started to play again and I got a lot done in the last coupple days. Had a Poly Brimstone run, which gave me the "not being hit in the Chest/Dark Room" achievement.

Only challenge I'm missing is Beans, but that challenge is just terrible. Can't seem to beat it, but I haven't invested that much time in it either. Does anyone have some tips? I thought about bombing my way to the end, but where does this challenge end?

SerTapTap

I've started to play again and I got a lot done in the last coupple days. Had a Poly Brimstone run, which gave me the "not being hit in the Chest/Dark Room" achievement.

Only challenge I'm missing is Beans, but that challenge is just terrible. Can't seem to beat it, but I haven't invested that much time in it either. Does anyone have some tips? I thought about bombing my way to the end, but where does this challenge end?

Beans isn't THAT hard, just really weird. Actually one of my favorite challenges due to how significantly it changes up playstyle without being a straight up fuck you like Family Man. Oh, and it ends at Mom thankfully, most of the initially available ones do.

You should be clearing early easy rooms using only the Bean as it poisons everything and has infinite uses. Remember that Butt Bombs have whole room (minor) AOE and stun everything, so place them near the toughest enemy, stun the rest and poison something with the Bean in that window.

Use bombs wisely--use bombs to escape rooms, but only if you'll need more than one bomb to clear the room and won't be going back through that room (though 2 trips through isn't too bad). Never spam bombs just because you have a "lot", you won't even reach Mom if you just spam bombs around every boss, try and make them all count and focus your money on increasing your bomb count or getting a Candle. Buy The Bible if you're close enough to Mom and still have a lot of bombs, she's really annoying without it.

Look for better items than The Bean but don't exchange it for anything that doesn't deal damage--candles will help a ton. Anarchist Cookbook will fill the room with full-room AOE Butt Bomb bombs now. Look for items to get you more bombs (Bogo Bombs/Humble Bundle)

Don't use pills. Bombs Are Key can instantly ruin your run and few of the pill effects will even help since you can't fire tears.

Latest Afterbirth update mentions daily seeded runs. As if I needed more of an excuse to play this game and let everything else sit on the shelf. :O

CassSept

I'm surprised it took that long, I kinda assumed this would be a feature in Rebirth. It was actually one of the features I was most excited for, which kinda makes it one of the Afterbirth features I'm most excited for.

SerTapTap

I'm surprised it took that long, I kinda assumed this would be a feature in Rebirth. It was actually one of the features I was most excited for, which kinda makes it one of the Afterbirth features I'm most excited for.

I figured it and more racing features (ban items) would be a lock for rebirth 1.0. Streamers and racers were a huge part of what kept the popularity of the original up. Even though it was completely not at all designed for it. (well not for racing anyway. I doubt it was designed with streaming in mind either but it is perfect for it)

Akai__

The latest blog post also has the item, that loops through walls. That's really an awesome idea. They already ruled out infinite loops with Lasers and Brimstone, but that would be so freaking OP anyways.

I figured it and more racing features (ban items) would be a lock for rebirth 1.0. Streamers and racers were a huge part of what kept the popularity of the original up. Even though it was completely not at all designed for it. (well not for racing anyway. I doubt it was designed with streaming in mind either but it is perfect for it)

Yeah, they are using mods for the Balls of Steel tournament, in order to get what they need. However, they aren't able to tweek everything they need, as far as I know.

Edmund, Tyrone and Mathias were in Northernlions stream one time and they were saying, that after Afterbirth they will open a new Reddit topic dedicated for racing leagues, so they can make an add-on dedicated to racing leagues with all sorts of settings. Pretty awesome.

And fun fact for the bolded: Edmund wanted to create a terrible game, but this so called terrible game was a huge succes. It's really funny, because Edmund actually hated the game so much. Haha :D

Top Bottom