• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

Awwww, they confirmed continuum won't synergize with brimstone? That's a shame, we already have Ludovico and Tammy's Head work with Brimstone :( another broken synergy wouldn't hurt.

SerTapTap

And fun fact for the bolded: Edmund wanted to create a terrible game, but this so called terrible game was a huge succes. It's really funny, because Edmund actually hated the game so much. Haha :D

Interesting, where did he talk about that? I know it's been a runaway success. I remember playing the demo on Newgrounds just thinking of it as yet another hard as hell Edmund McMillan game. Didn't get very far (love his games but I think Gish and Time Fcuk are the only ones I beat until Rebirth) and didn't think too much of it, was surprised when it exploded. Glad he finally found a couple of hits though.
Wish we got more Gish though

Stat!

Latest Afterbirth update mentions daily seeded runs. As if I needed more of an excuse to play this game and let everything else sit on the shelf. :O

Totally agree. I have Bloodborne, might get Witcher 3, but all I play is Isaac.

This was the one thing I really wanted in the expansion, it will be interesting to see how the score system works.

Im not sure how you can even score Isaac. Fastest time? Most enemies killed? Not being hit? Its tough.

Awwww, they confirmed continuum won't synergize with brimstone? That's a shame, we already have Ludovico and Tammy's Head work with Brimstone :( another broken synergy wouldn't hurt.

Continuum seems fun. Shame that we don't Brimstone + continuum since range upgrades are useless as Brimstone. Maybe the laser + brimstone would only go for a full room length but continuum + range increases it?

Akai__

Interesting, where did he talk about that?

Mostly on his blog. There might be an article abouut it, but I really don't know.

Closer to Rebirths launch, he talked about it in detail. I think there was even a post mortem somewhere.

It will synergize but it will only loop once. Otherwise it would loop infinite, due Brimstone having an infinite range. That's what they have been saying at least.

Finally got Dead Boy...got the in-game notification for doing so, but not the trophy. Anything I can do to force it? I know it's a known bug...

Playing on Vita, most recent patch if that makes a difference.

UberTag

Finally got Dead Boy...got the in-game notification for doing so, but not the trophy. Anything I can do to force it? I know it's a known bug...

I've been getting trophies to pop by syncing to the Nicalis servers and downloading the saves to my PS4.
They pop immediately and then I re-sync my trophies on the Vita and they're there.
Not sure about a solution if you don't have a PS4, however. I was stumped until I employed that workaround.

Stat!

I've been getting trophies to pop by syncing to the Nicalis servers and downloading the saves to my PS4.
They pop immediately and then I re-sync my trophies on the Vita and they're there.
Not sure about a solution if you don't have a PS4, however. I was stumped until I employed that workaround.

With the latest patch, install your saves again. Close application and launch BoI and watch the entire opening scene. Popped for me and several others that way.

Akai__

I have a hard time unlocking The Lost and I think it's bugged. Died exactly how they want me to die with the characters. I tried seeded runs for Isaac, Maggy and Judas (heard Azazel isn't allowed with seeds) AND I tried NO seeds at all.

Tried no seeds 2 times (good luck getting Mullibooms as Isaac...Took me 4 hours combined to get those) and I'm on my 4th seeded run. Made sure it would display the correct enemy/item when dead. Tried dying to Satan's bullets and to his hoofs. Nothing works. Even checked the log files and it doesn't say "Puzzle piece x/4 failed. Restart" etc.

What the heck am I missing? Do I need to unlock something else prior to that? Wiki doesn't say anything about it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have a hard time unlocking The Lost and I think it's bugged. Died exactly how they want me to die with the characters. I tried seeded runs for Isaac, Maggy and Judas (heard Azazel isn't allowed with seeds) AND I tried NO seeds at all.

Tried no seeds 2 times (good luck getting Mullibooms as Isaac...Took me 4 hours combined to get those) and I'm on my 4th seeded run. Made sure it would display the correct enemy/item when dead. Tried dying to Satan's bullets and to his hoofs. Nothing works. Even checked the log files and it doesn't say "Puzzle piece x/4 failed. Restart" etc.

What the heck am I missing? Do I need to unlock something else prior to that? Wiki doesn't say anything about it.

Are you on PC or PS4/Vita? I'm on PC and used seeds for the first three (Isaac, Maggie, Judas) and no seed for Azazel and had no problems unlocking the character. Presumably you're following the steps listed here?

One thing I've found that helps with the Judas death is to get down to half a heart before entering the Mom fight. The first attack with Mom is always a foot stomp so that reduces the risk of dying to any other enemies. Maggie's an easy one as you only need to have a bomb by the Caves/Catacombs. Isaac is the tricky one as you say due to Mullibooms being needed, but you can use the seeds listed on the page I linked to to make the runs a little easier for you. Not sure what to suggest other than that.

Edit: there's also this on the wiki - "Having any mods installed that triggers the mod flag will make The Lost unobtainable. In order to fix this problem, all mods have to be removed." , have you modded the game in any way?

Akai__

PC and no mods installed.

Yes, I followed those steps. Even compared those steps to several other pages, posts, videos and whatever there else is. As for the other questions, I already answered those in my post above. I did everything that they want you to do, but it won't unlock. It's not even failing, because then you would get the "Puzzle piece 4/4 failed." error in your log file for example. No entry in the log file, which means you did it right or it didn't even register to begin with.

I will try it one last time for today (8th run for today -.- ). This time with closing the game, after each death and double checking everything (like death screens, win streak and log files) again. Also I was reading through the Steam Forums and people have the same issue.
Not sure what the issue actually is, but it's pretty annoying.

The worst part about this is, that the "fun" should start after you unlocked him.

Do you happen to know where you are running in to Mullibooms at?

I only ask because if you aren't seeing Puzzle failed it means the game doesn't think you are even starting the puzzle.

Meaning you are dying to Mullibooms in "the wrong way". Not that I have any idea what that way would be.

Maybe it actually needs to be on a certain floor(Cellar I), or maybe champions don't count, or...something else?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
PC and no mods installed.

Yes, I followed those steps. Even compared those steps to several other pages, posts, videos and whatever there else is. As for the other questions, I already answered those in my post above. I did everything that they want you to do, but it won't unlock. It's not even failing, because then you would get the "Puzzle piece 4/4 failed." error in your log file for example. No entry in the log file, which means you did it right or it didn't even register to begin with.

I will try it one last time for today (8th run for today -.- ). This time with closing the game, after each death and double checking everything (like death screens, win streak and log files) again. Also I was reading through the Steam Forums and people have the same issue.
Not sure what the issue actually is, but it's pretty annoying.

The worst part about this is, that the "fun" should start after you unlocked him.

Ugh. That's the worst. Hopefully the fact that other people are having the same issue means it gets addressed somewhere down the line. Don't suppose you know anyone else who'd let you log into Steam and download the game on their PC as a sort of "maybe something on my computer is buggering things up" kind of way?

Edit: Assuming you haven't already, use this seed to start off the process: GPE3 2T1H (Must be on Normal difficulty. 2 Mullibooms south of starting point. Use the sacrifice room above to damage yourself first) and then try failing the next part to see if it brings up anything in the log. If you get the puzzle failed after that it means that this one works to start you off and you can try again using the same seed.

Akai__

Do you happen to know where you are running in to Mullibooms at?

I only ask because if you aren't seeing Puzzle failed it means the game doesn't think you are even starting the puzzle.

Meaning you are dying to Mullibooms in "the wrong way". Not that I have any idea what that way would be.

Maybe it actually needs to be on a certain floor(Cellar I), or maybe champions don't count, or...something else?

Multiple times on Basement and Cellar. I thought about that being the issue, but it seems like it isn't.

Also, not sure how you can die the wrong way, because the picture shows killed by Mulliboom.

Ugh. That's the worst. Hopefully the fact that other people are having the same issue means it gets addressed somewhere down the line. Don't suppose you know anyone else who'd let you log into Steam and download the game on their PC as a sort of "maybe something on my computer is buggering things up" kind of way?

Edit: Assuming you haven't already, use this seed to start off the process: GPE3 2T1H (Must be on Normal difficulty. 2 Mullibooms south of starting point. Use the sacrifice room above to damage yourself first) and then try failing the next part to see if it brings up anything in the log. If you get the puzzle failed after that it means that this one works to start you off and you can try again using the same seed.

Good idea. I have the game installed on my brothers Laptop. Will try it there, but not today.

Thanks for the help guys. <3

I'm not sure how you could be dying to mulliboom in the wrong way either, but I have seen people report that sometimes the game just doesn't decide you died to the Mulliboom correctly.

Nobody really knows why.

Akai__

Tried it on my brothers Laptop. Same issue and no unlock.

2 Mullibooms south of starting point. Use the sacrifice room above to damage yourself first) and then try failing the next part to see if it brings up anything in the log. If you get the puzzle failed after that it means that this one works to start you off and you can try again using the same seed.

I used your "debug" method to see if it fails during any character.

Dying with Isaac on purpose: "Puzzle Quest 1/4 failed, back to start."
Dying with Maggy on purpose: "Puzzle Quest 2/4 failed, back to start."
Dying with Judas on purpose: "Puzzle Quest 3/4 failed, back to start."
Dying with Azazel on purpose: "Puzzle Quest 4/4 failed, back to start."

In addition to the run on my brothers Laptop, I had 3 other good runs this morning and died to Satans Bullets, Lazer and his Hoofs. Succesful runs/death requirements with the other characters, no resets, no other deaths, no log error entries and still no unlock. Something must be wrong with Azazel, but I don't what exactly. I'm NOT using seeds on him, because you aren't allowed to.

At this point, I'll maybe give it a try once in a day. Probably waiting for Afterbirth, though. Sucks, but I'm out of ideas.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Tried it on my brothers Laptop. Same issue and no unlock.
Weird, so it looks as though the steps are working (I'm assuming the "failed" messages are from you dying after having successfully done the previous step?) and as you say it's not working when you die to Azazel. One thing I forgot until just now is that your win/lose streak doesn't go down when you die in the right way, so that'll show you whether you've successfully completed a step. If you get all the way to Satan then try running directly into the body during the second stage, see if that helps?

Tried that, didn't work...but I went into the list of secrets earlier and it popped. Weird!

Akai__

Weird, so it looks as though the steps are working (I'm assuming the "failed" messages are from you dying after having successfully done the previous step?) and as you say it's not working when you die to Azazel. One thing I forgot until just now is that your win/lose streak doesn't go down when you die in the right way, so that'll show you whether you've successfully completed a step. If you get all the way to Satan then try running directly into the body during the second stage, see if that helps?

Yes, to the bolded. Otherwise it would probably be stuck at 1/4, but I dunno. Win Streak also stayed the same. Already tried running into Satan yesterday. Didn't help either.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yes, to the bolded. Otherwise it would probably be stuck at 1/4, but I dunno. Win Streak also stayed the same. Already tried running into Satan yesterday. Didn't help either.

Yeah that's weird. Can't imagine what the issue is then. Sorry I've not been much help, looks like it's a legit bug especially as you said other people were having the same problem. Strange it didn't unlock on your brother's computer though.

Akai__

Yeah that's weird. Can't imagine what the issue is then. Sorry I've not been much help, looks like it's a legit bug especially as you said other people were having the same problem. Strange it didn't unlock on your brother's computer though.

Nah, you provided tips and I really appreciate that. The only thing that is left, is unlocking more stuff and trying it every once in a while. Maybe I'm really missing an item/secret and that's why it doesn't trigger. Eventhough I can't find anything about items or secrets which have to be unlocked.

I just played an Isaac Hard run and picked up the Polaroid and went to Sheol out of reflex. I was so freaking OP (Full Guppy + Mom's Knife + Proptosis + Blood of Martyr + etc.), that I could have easily beaten the Chest.

I've seen this said before but it was not true for me. I ended up with a -3 streak at the same time I unlocked the Lost (1st Death = 0, 2nd = -1, etc).

It has something to do with the Seeds, because those won't count to your Win Streak. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I saw it in a video yesterday.

One thing I forgot until just now is that your win/lose streak doesn't go down when you die in the right way, so that'll show you whether you've successfully completed a step.
I've seen this said before but it was not true for me. I ended up with a -3 streak at the same time I unlocked the Lost (1st Death = 0, 2nd = -1, etc).

Akai__

I unlocked The Lost...

Did everything the same, like in the last days. Only thing I did was unlocking the D4 yesterday, so that lets me believe that you now need the D4 prior to unlocking him. Kinda makes sense, because The Lost will start with the D4 (and spectral tears) in Afterbirth.

UberTag

I unlocked The Lost as well earlier tonight. Looking forward to taking him out for a spin at some point although I suspect his (multiple) hard runs will prove daunting.

Akai__

I unlocked The Lost as well earlier tonight. Looking forward to taking him out for a spin at some point although I suspect his (multiple) hard runs will prove daunting.

Did you have the D4 unlocked to maybe confirm/disprove my claim?

Edit: Nevermind, wouldn't be confirmation.

SerTapTap

I unlocked The Lost...

ybbhZC5.png

Akai__

20 deaths? Yeah, you should start counting in hours because 20 hours for Blue Baby/The Lamb is about how much it took me, each.

Played like 4 hours today and I know that it will take me a loooooong time. I'm pretty average in Rebirth, but The Lost has a hard learn curve. Initially, I wanted to wait until Afterbrith releases. He will start with the D4 and Spectral Tears then, which makes it a little easier. You'll be able to reroll into pretty good items. I like the challenge and I'll try to unlock everything before Afterbirth hits. I started with 170 hours of playtime with The Lost. Let's see how long it will take me.

Pretty sure I'll improve my dodging skills by a lot, though. lol

Holy fucking shit. So after a roughly 40 run losing streak as The Lost I finally got somewhere.

It was fairly unremarkable early on. The key item I had was Technology 2, which meant I could kill enemies from a distance fairly safely, even though I had little damage. By Depths 1 I was Guppy, thanks to some favourable Red Chests. However, the fly spawns weren't as much as I was hoping - I figured it'd be constant as Tech 2 hits repeatedly, but it seemed to be a few flies per second, rather than a constant stream.

So anyway, I decided to enter a curse room. I knew I'd die on the way out, but I figured as I had the Dead Cat, I'd just take the loss of 1 life in the hopes of the room being worth it. It wasn't worth it, so I exited, died, and respawned...only I didn't think this through. I respawned INSIDE THE FUCKING CURSE ROOM. I had no way out. I was resigned to a fate of constantly leaving, dying, respawning and repeat, until the rest of my lives ran out. Wait, though. I have the passage rune which opens a trapdoor to the next floor. I'm saved! Let's just press X and OH FOR FUCK SAKE IT'S NOT A DOOR TO THE NEXT FLOOR JUST STEPS TO THE SIDESCROLLING ROOM. Fuck. Sake. So I go down, and in there is something interesting...the D4. Hmmmm. I was thinking of ways this could save me by using it, but nothing came to mind. Sigh. I went back up, used the D4, and continued on my spiky fate until I died. Oh well, I'll just have to start ag...wait a minute. I'm out! THE FUCKING D4 GAVE ME THE HOLY MANTLE! The only item, that I can think of right now, that would have got me out of there. Not only that, but it rerolled me into having Technology 1, with pretty much as high a tear stat as possible, so this time, I really did have a constant stream of flies spawning. This carried me through to Mom's Heart, to Satan, and The Lamb. YES!

Boss Rush, Cathedral and The Chest to go.

For future reference, if you are in the curse room with the dead cat walk up to the door slowly. You'll die inside the room, which will warp you outside the room, instead of the other way around.

If you got teleported to the Devil/Angel room, you can run out quickly, which will die and put you back into the curse room, and then walk slowly to die and get ported out. This is necessary because if you walk slowly out you'll die and end up back in the Devil/Angel room if you don't escape first.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I just had the most ridiculous run with Azazel. Just picked this up during the sale btw but man that was it was just unfair the amount of shit I got away with lol. I got tech 1st thing off the bat and from there the run was a complete cakewalk. Kept getting hp ups to the point I had like 7 red hearts and kept running out of room when I got hit for any soul or black hearts. Then to top it off I kept jacking up the damage of my shots and got so many status effects. Think my laser got triple shot along with concussion, poison, fear, and whatever else.

The whole time I just cleared every room just by holding the thumb stick in *insert direction*. At some points I wasn't even paying attention and I didn't even realize I entered a bosh rush room or whatever it's called and that was a cakewalk lol. But damn I was basically on god mode since I didn't even care if I got hit since my pew pew laser was just wrecking everything.

And now it just occurred me to I should have saved the seed :(. O well.

I'm so close to real platinum god. Just a couple of shop items and meat boy, I think. I have quite a ways to go on the donation machine though...Only have about 500 pennies in it.

Edit: Yup, need raw liver, black lotus, stopwatch, and blue candle.

Stat!

Despite many many runs I finally breakfasted for the first time ever (pyro + nun's habit and finding at least one fire or one spike room). Really was awesome to discover something new after hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of runs!

CassSept

I'm so close to real platinum god. Just a couple of shop items and meat boy, I think. I have quite a ways to go on the donation machine though...Only have about 500 pennies in it.

Edit: Yup, need raw liver, black lotus, stopwatch, and blue candle.

Ouch, donations are easy since you can farm coins with Azazel but you have two secret room items on there, that's not so easy.

Probably put about 200 hours into the game and still have to find:

Item Room
D100
Super Bandage [not yet unlocked...not looking forwards to unlocking it either :(]

Secret Room
Missing No.

So I just synced my save on Vita to try to make the trophy for beating everything with The Lost on Hard Mode pop...but my save has now regressed to about 2 weeks back with loads of Items/Secrets I've unlocked recently no longer unlocked.

Have I now lost my progress forever?

EDIT: Just downloaded from my cloud save. Sorted. Phew. Wish my trophies would unlock though...

SerTapTap

So I just synced my save on Vita to try to make the trophy for beating everything with The Lost on Hard Mode pop...but my save has now regressed to about 2 weeks back with loads of Items/Secrets I've unlocked recently no longer unlocked.

Have I now lost my progress forever?

EDIT: Just downloaded from my cloud save. Sorted. Phew. Wish my trophies would unlock though...

Did you watch the whole intro? I think that's supposed to try and trigger a retroactive unlock but I haven't done it myself. I just suffered through earning them again

Yeah, I've done that. I'm just gonna wait it out, that's how I got Dead Boy before. Maybe the incoming patch will sort it. Or Afterbirth...I can wait. :D

So I was about to go on another Isaac run to try to find the last 2 out of 3 remaining items (Missing No. and D100; haven't unlocked Super Bandage yet) and in the first item room was the Book of Revelations. Decided to try for a Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, as it's rare to get that item so early. So...

Fought Famine. Got a Ball of Bandages.
Later fought Pestilence. Another Ball of Bandages. Nice!
Later fought War. A THIRD Ball of Bandages! Could it be!?
Then came Death.

Fourth and final Ball of Bandages. Zomg! Then on the next run I found the Super Bandage. Much luck, so unfrustation, wow.

SerTapTap

Fought Famine. Got a Ball of Bandages.
Later fought Pestilence. Another Ball of Bandages. Nice!
Later fought War. A THIRD Ball of Bandages! Could it be!?
Then came Death.

Fourth and final Ball of Bandages. Zomg! Then on the next run I found the Super Bandage. Much luck, so unfrustation, wow.

They changed the generation so you'll only ever get meat/bandage in one run now I think. Though Conquest/Headless will still ruin your day, so that's still a mad lucky pair of runs. If there was only a fifth floor where horsemen are possible it would be far easier.

They changed the generation so you'll only ever get meat/bandage in one run now I think. Though Conquest/Headless will still ruin your day, so that's still a mad lucky pair of runs. If there was only a fifth floor where horsemen are possible it would be far easier.

Maybe in Afterbirth...

Ca394ZY.jpg

What a run to finish on as well. I had both Quad Shot and Godhead. The odds on finding both of those in the same run must be extraordinarily low (I've only seen Godhead once before!)

Anyway, time to play Rogue Legacy or something until Afterbirth is released. :D

UberTag

Any of you guys keeping tabs on the Balls of Steel tournament?
It's been a trip watching some of the best BoI players in the world race each other every weekend.

Stat!

Just had the most frustrating run of all time. No HP upgrade, no damage or tear upgrades for 4 floors and finally died after getting hit on my 22 streak Eden hard run.

Any of you guys keeping tabs on the Balls of Steel tournament?
It's been a trip watching some of the best BoI players in the world race each other every weekend.

Yeah, it's amazing to watch how some guys just rip through the game. Pushing so hard often leads to spectacular last-second chokes as well, which is also entertaining.

SerTapTap

Just had the most frustrating run of all time. No HP upgrade, no damage or tear upgrades for 4 floors and finally died after getting hit on my 22 streak Eden hard run.

No damage/tear upgrades is agonizing. Only worse thing, outside of The Lost, is when you play as Maggie and get no speed upgrades. I'll quit a run over that. Thankfully I never have to play her again...until Afterbirth anyway...

Top Bottom