• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Changed my avatar in honour of Rebirth's pixel art. It's actually really great. I was a fan of it when they first showed it, and in playing it I'm becoming even more of a fan. It looks fantastic. I still like the original's art, but this is a great new look.

The weird cartoon endings are pretty bad though.

aravuus

As of Rebirth there are two final final bosses.

You kill Mom to unlock Mom's Heart. Then you need to kill Mom's Heart several times (in the original it was 10 I believe?) to unlock two parallel bonus floors - Cathedral and Sheol. Then you have to clear Cathedral five times to unlock The Chest and I assume Sheol five times to unlock new level, The Dark Room

Damn lol, and I've only killed Mom and the heart once

Now I think I understand how people manage to put so many hours in this game

BadRamen

Soooo, I haven't had time to catch up, but is the save bug done bugging? I am tired of beating
Mom
for the first time, multiple times!

vato_loco

Played the game a bit last night. Here are my impressions:

- Some SFX are definitely worse than the originals, and some others are way better, like really creepy SFX that help the overall feeling of dread.

- Isaac's voice is... unsettling.

- Long rooms are awesome, chock full of enemies. I kinda wish the loot for those levels was a bit more than just the random key or bomb, but it's not a big deal, rooms are still fun.

- I haven't met any new boss yet, but variations from Larry Jr. and some other. Very cool additions.

- Got Little Brimstone on the second playthrough, unfortunately I was just about to die so I couldn't enjoy the bugger, but the look on my face when he gave the first shot!

- Movement is pretty much the same as the original. I haven't seen any drastic change and felt right at home. The day before yesterday I was playing it on PC, yesterday I got it for PS4, and it was like playing the same game, movement-wise.

- Graphics are great as well, but I much preferred the hand drawn style of the first one. Still looks amazing, but it can get hard as fuck to see the flies on dark rooms.

- Full screen Isaac is definitely the best Isaac.

aravuus

Aw hell yeah, got this item that turns my health into coins and Dark Bum, if I'll ever get the 55 coins for Cain, it's gotta be this run.

Shinjica

I may be late to the party, but I got a Tammy's Head and a Brimstone... and my god, you can one shot entire rooms, EVERY ROOM. I laughed my way to Mom with plenty of time on the clock for the Boss Rush room, but got way too cocky and died there (aside from that combo, items were mediocre at best). Unfortunately I did not get the seed. I would love to do that run again.

kizV7sf.gif

How can you have Tammy head and brimstone when you're at the start of the first level, without discovering a single room?

Puru

So i have defeated satan once (and lost once) while not having unlocked all the regular mom's heart endings (basicaly ending 3 and 4 so far) and those are greyed out, am i forked (vita version)? I even killed the heart once again but it unlocked the 5th ending. I still got the items but it's kinda lame to not have the short animations.

Otherwise i got
guppy's paw (1 red for 3 souls hearts) and a new item that convert two soul heart in one heart in one run, it felt good
and
Leo (stomp rocks), tricket that give coins everytime you destroy a rock and a new item that does damage to every mobs everytime you spend a coin, it was a glorious slaughter, thanks god it happened when i had Maggy, i hate her so much

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Are there already some reviews for Rebirth?

NotLiquid

Wow. I just encountered the most absolute nuts room ever.
After beating Mom, a huge cavern blew open in the wall which lead to a big room with six items on offer. After picking one of those six, you fight against a massive gauntlet of bosses. You fight roughly six waves of pre-Womb bosses which involves counterparts and the like. I had to take on things like Mask of Infamy and The Fallen at the same time. Absolutely insane.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Wow. I just encountered the most absolute nuts room ever.
After beating Mom, a huge cavern blew open in the wall which lead to a big room with six items on offer. After picking one of those six, you fight against a massive gauntlet of bosses. You fight roughly six waves of pre-Womb bosses which involves counterparts and the like. I had to take on things like Mask of Infamy and The Fallen at the same time. Absolutely insane.

Yeah, I think that's the
Boss Rush room
. It's mental. I did the same thing when I
finished the Slow Roll challenge
. I can't remember what I got out of it, I assume you can unlock something for doing it?

NotLiquid

Yeah, I think that's the
Boss Rush room
. I can't remember what I got out of it, I assume you can unlock something for doing it?

I think you unlock
Isaac's Head.
At least, that's what I got out of it.

CassSept

Yeah, I think that's the
Boss Rush room

I unlocked an item, but I can't remember which one. I can't fathom finishing it without an op build. It seems it's time based btw.

FtHTiny

I had a really good run going but that took longer then i expected so i had to go afk for 20 mins. No problem went into the menu and just let it sit there.
Came back and the no response from the game... Super sad.

I unlocked an item, but I can't remember which one. I can't fathom finishing it without an op build. It seems it's time based btw.

You unlock different item with each character by completing the boss rush room! You unlock this room by reaching mother before the clock reach her (you can see it when you complete a level)

I don't know if you unlock something by doing it more than one time per character! On the starting menu, there's a star in the icon of the character who completed the boss rush (the place where there's a heart for mom's heart and an inversed cross for satan)

Sarcasm

I had a really good run going but that took longer then i expected so i had to go afk for 20 mins. No problem went into the menu and just let it sit there.
Came back and the no response from the game... Super sad.

You can save the game...its a save upon exit via menu.

BurningNad

How can you have Tammy head and brimstone when you're at the start of the first level, without discovering a single room?
That gif isn't from my run, it's from the Binding of Isaac web site (that was a mistake, it's from his blog http://edmundm.com/post/95414119920/what-would-happen-if-you-got-tammys-head-brimstone) One of Edmund's posts from 2ish months ago. I have a screenshot of my run I'll post later when I get home. I just wanted people to see the awesomeness of that combo! I would not ruin experiencing this game by cheating. Not even in the first game did I ever.
Ahah next time BurningNad, try to hide your cheat in a better way.
I didn't cheat. I was playing as Azazel anyway so I wouldn't have red hearts in the first place. I'll post the screenshot from my run one I get home from work, in about 6ish hours. I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!1one

WITHE1982

Tried this for the very first time on Vita last night and only managed to get onto the 5th level. Dunno If I'm particularly bad at it or if that's just the average.

How many runs should it realistically take to get through this for the first time? I'm in no rush TBH and I'm enjoying it immensely but I wouldn't mind just not sucking.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Tried this for the very first time on Vita last night and only managed to get onto the 5th level. Dunno If I'm particularly bad at it or if that's just the average.

How many runs should it realistically take to get through this for the first time? I'm in no rush TBH and I'm enjoying it immensely but I wouldn't mind just not sucking.

I'd say for a first go you're doing well. It took me quite a while to get through and beat the final boss, was a huge rush when I did and then I realised that was only the start, haha. Don't worry about sucking, every run you play will help you improve and eventually you'll get an item or two that'll really push you forward.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I'n my experience I had to put in quite a few hours in the original to even get to Mom. There's a lot of enemy pattern to learn, and you need to get a good feel of sensible key/bomb usage, and sense of detecting hidden rooms.

It's all about what you are able to gather and what upgrades you end up getting. Each run is unique in that respect.

I just beat it for the first time after my 10th run or so. But mainly because my Isaac was just straight decked out with upgrades. I had a mask blocking damage, a leech that sucked the life from enemies and gave it back to me, was Blessed, had ultra tears or whatever that had me firing like crazy, multiple damage increases, slower shots so I was just unleashing a massive stream of shots, had like 10 health slots by the end, had enhanced speed, etc. etc. etc. On and on.

WITHE1982

I'd say for a first go you're doing well. It took me quite a while to get through and beat the final boss, was a huge rush when I did and then I realised that was only the start, haha. Don't worry about sucking, every run you play will help you improve and eventually you'll get an item or two that'll really push you forward.

I'n my experience I had to put in quite a few hours in the original to even get to Mom. There's a lot of enemy pattern to learn, and you need to get a good feel of sensible key/bomb usage, and sense of detecting hidden rooms.

It's all about what you are able to gather and what upgrades you end up getting. Each run is unique in that respect.

I just beat it for the first time after my 10th run or so. But mainly because my Isaac was just straight decked out with upgrades. I had a mask blocking damage, a leech that sucked the life from enemies and gave it back to me, was Blessed, had ultra tears or whatever that had me firing like crazy, multiple damage increases, slower shots so I was just unleashing a massive stream of shots, had like 10 health slots by the end, had enhanced speed, etc. etc. etc. On and on.

Thanks guys. I can't wait to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of all the power-ups like everyone else on this thread seems to have.

At the minute I'm just grabbing everything in the hopes that it's good. I nabbed something last night that made a huge woman's leg crash down on me every so often. It was rather annoying.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Thanks guys. I can't wait to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of all the power-ups like everyone else on this thread seems to have.

At the minute I'm just grabbing everything in the hopes that it's good. I nabbed something last night that made a huge woman's leg crash down on me every so often. It was rather annoying.

Was it attacking you or the enemies on screen? What you said sounds like the boss fight, ha.

WITHE1982

Was it attacking you or the enemies on screen? What you said sounds like the boss fight, ha.

Whoever it landed on was taking huge damage. Be it myself or the enemies.

edit: That's the one Roboleon thanks.

Can you actually drop the trinkets after picking them up? I must admit I didn't even try TBH.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Whoever it landed on was taking huge damage. Be it myself or the enemies.

edit: That's the one Roboleon thanks.

Can you actually drop the trinkets after picking them up? I must admit I didn't even try TBH.

All but one of the trinkets can be swapped out by picking up another trinket, you can't drop any manually though.

The_Poet

Banned
That gif isn't from my run, it's from the Binding of Isaac web site (that was a mistake, it's from his blog http://edmundm.com/post/95414119920/what-would-happen-if-you-got-tammys-head-brimstone) One of Edmund's posts from 2ish months ago. I have a screenshot of my run I'll post later when I get home. I just wanted people to see the awesomeness of that combo! I would not ruin experiencing this game by cheating. Not even in the first game did I ever.
I didn't cheat. I was playing as Azazel anyway so I wouldn't have red hearts in the first place. I'll post the screenshot from my run one I get home from work, in about 6ish hours. I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!1one

But you can just get to a caves 1 or w.e. and cheat the items in afterwards as 'proof'.

And how do you explain being on the first floor with no rooms discovered? HMMMMMM?!

EDIT: AND Azazel has wings but in the gif he is clearly walking. Open and shut case.

EDIT2: Oh.

WITHE1982

All but one of the trinkets can be swapped out by picking up another trinket, you can't drop any manually though.

Thanks dude. Guess it'll be a lot of trial and error then.

I'm loving the game so far. It seems perfect for a quick runs while in bed at night.

CassSept

heh, no it's a trinket called Mom's Toenail.

I got that too on my first Vita run actually. Quite annoying.

You can drop Trinkets in Rebirth, on PC you have to hold ctrl. Obv doesn't work for The Tick.

You unlock different item with each character by completing the boss rush room! You unlock this room by reaching mother before the clock reach her (you can see it when you complete a level)

I don't know if you unlock something by doing it more than one time per character! On the starting menu, there's a star in the icon of the character who completed the boss rush (the place where there's a heart for mom's heart and an inversed cross for satan)

Ooooh so that's what the star is for, thanks! For some reason it bothered me a lot that I don't know what it was.

Occam

Damn, the game has a bug. I unlocked Lazarus, played a few games, and now he is locked again. Very annoying. Unfortunately I hadn't uploaded a save to PS+.

got a dead cat, charge shot, damage pluses all day, every pill i got either refilled or added to my health, and with everything else i got i was able to 2-shot mom and take only 1 hit. Man, that was fun.

so what's the post-mom game like? what should i be aiming for now?

This game almost makes me want to own a Vita. Almost.

the vita is terrific and a fun little indie machine! It's got spelunky, hotline miami, isaac, luftrausers, pix the cat, steamworld dig, Velocity 2X, TxK, Joe Danger, etc. All of which i've received with ps+. it's had a hell of a year, you should get on that.

Phamit

This game is really good, I like it. Needed a few runs to get to mom, but then I unlocked Lazarus (I don't know how though).

Kalamoj

Wow, I did like 20 runs yesterday and my best was Caves II (the boss killed me).
How do you guys get so many items?

I got to Mom on my first playthrough yesterday. Never got to her in the original game, it was a lot easier for me.

Great game, going to play this version a lot.

Just got an angel room from the mom's heart fight, and it got me to the cathedral even though I don't think I was supposed to be able to go there yet.
Edit: and ofc I died lol.

Top Bottom