• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Fireblend

Banned
Yesterday I got this really great item that gave me lion hair and let me destroy rocks by walking over them. That was cool.

Loving the game! I wasn't a big fan of the original BoI, but I'm having tons of fun playing it on Vita.

KarmaCow

Wow, I did like 20 runs yesterday and my best was Caves II (the boss killed me).
How do you guys get so many items?

Every area (up to a point) has a gold room with an item. The rest is just going into special rooms like arenas. It's the risk/reward of exploring vs going to the boss right away.

There are also hidden rooms that can have items. There are two per area, you need to bomb a wall to find them. The first usually has three rooms surround it and the other only has one. You need to guess but it becomes easier to predict.

BurningNad

But you can just get to a caves 1 or w.e. and cheat the items in afterwards as 'proof'.

And how do you explain being on the first floor with no rooms discovered? HMMMMMM?!

EDIT: AND Azazel has wings but in the gif he is clearly walking. Open and shut case.

EDIT2: Oh.
Haha, I told you! I would not cheat in this game, and if I didn't I wouldn't hide it. Not like it really matters in the first place. Just thought that combo was insane enough to share!
So for BurningNad's defence, he got the gif from Edmund's site.

Edit: which he already did but I didn't notice, heh. I should refresh more often.

Anyway game's a good game! I didn't like the pixel art at first, but it has grown on me
Thank you!

The_Poet

Banned
Haha, I told you! I would not cheat in this game, and if I didn't I wouldn't hide it. Not like it really matters in the first place. Just thought that combo was insane enough to share!

I believe that you can get the combo, I just didnt believe the gif was legit (which it isnt)

Celegus

I played like 2-3 hours last night before sleepy time. Ended up going to bed at 3am, work at 9am. This next week I may need to book a day off...

Yeah, I can already tell this isn't going to be good for my sleep schedule. Luckily I have this nice cup of black tea to wake me up keep my eyes open during work.

Nicktals

Banned
Game is so good. Unlocked the D6 last night, excited to try it out...

Soy milk+tiny planet+guppy+large flies, by far my favorite run so far...

Croyles

What the hell...

I was doing the Tiny Planet challenge, think its called Head Trauma or something. Got to Necropolis XL, just finished clearing a room and then it suddenly brought me to the loading screen, which it is now stuck on...

Anyone have this happen to them?

Roboter

Neo Member
I beat mom for the first time, I had super strong tears but also 9 lives of one heart. The first 4 times I got halfway but never managed to dodge all projectiles/mom. The following attempt I went to the lower right corner of the room and for some reason no projectiles were coming my way / mom's foot didn't appear. Was a bit lame.

Yibby

What the hell...

I was doing the Tiny Planet challenge, think its called Head Trauma or something. Got to Necropolis XL, just finished clearing a room and then it suddenly brought me to the loading screen, which it is now stuck on...

Anyone have this happen to them?

That happened to me twice now. In normal game mode. I had to Close the game.

red731

Yeah it was my mistake, I should have mentioned that when I posted originally. I didn't think people would scrutinize it much!

Well I've put you on my ignore list you dirty cheater
kappa_big.png

You are free again tho

hbkdx12

I still love how flying items in this game heavily swing victory in your favor but still don't necessarily feel OP. Got lord of the pit in a deal with the devil in caves 2 and it was pretty much smooth sailing from there.

Does anyone know how (character spoiler)
lazarus
is different from Issac? It seems both their start attributes are the same.

Ladekabel

Had a pretty good run. Unlocked Cain, Lazarus and Azael. Had some cool items, too. But I was screwed when I came to Mom.
Through the deals with the devils I had only the blue hearts. Had the cat which gives you 9 lives but I always started with one heart when Mom beat me. Walked in took her down to half health then evaded one of the spawning enemies and then she grabbed me with her fat hand.

Will try again later. And I'm surprised that I don't play with the sticks. Now I don't know why I dismissed the original because of the keyboard controls.

I put 20+ coins into that little machine you see sometimes that you deposite coins into and it keeps. Now it looks like the machine is broken.

Not sure what I did, or what that does. Anyone know?

NotLiquid

I put 20+ coins into that little machine you see sometimes that you deposite coins into and it keeps. Now it looks like the machine is broken.

You're only able to deposit a set amount of coins each playthrough and the amount you've donated carries over across the playthroughs. You unlock new items and upgrade the store the higher stretches you reach.

Puru

Seems like you can put a number of coin in those until they get stuck. The total amount of money seems to stack across runs and unlocks new stuff as you donate.
I was too slow once again.

are you talking about the slot machine or the donation box? the slot machine usually gives me an item when it breaks.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Adding coins will upgrade the store., it's
10 coins
for the first upgrade and
100 coins
for the second. It'll sometimes break and not let you add more coins, but it will start accepting coins again on the next run. Probably just a way to stop you adding too many at once if you end up getting a dollar bill or are lucky with coin drops.

Edit: Triple beaten. Does anyone else want to explain this? Also, I can't tell whether my new avatar is creeping me out or not.

are you talking about the slot machine or the donation box? the slot machine usually gives me an item when it breaks.

Adding coins will upgrade the store. I'm not sure if it can be upgraded more than once though. Probably. Anyway, it'll sometimes break and not let you add more coins, but it will start accepting coins again on the next run. Probably just a way to stop you adding too many at once if you end up getting a dollar bill or are lucky with coin drops.

You're only able to deposit a set amount of coins each playthrough and the amount you've donated carries over across the playthroughs. You unlock new items and upgrade the store the higher stretches you reach.

Ah ok cool. It was the Donation box btw that is present inside the shops. I put 10 in and it gave me something, forget what though, and then put it another 10 and it broke the machine. I'll have to check today when I get home from work if the machine is still broke in my next playthroughs.

kpaadet

Okay after watching the Giantbomb QL of this I wanted to try it out, killed Mom in my first run though I might have gotten lucky with my upgrades atleast I felt op nearing the end. Really fun game, will try to see what seems possible for me to unlock.

SamVimes

Just got an angel room from the mom's heart fight, and it got me to the cathedral even though I don't think I was supposed to be able to go there yet.
Edit: and ofc I died lol.

I think that's how it's supposed to be, i didn't unlock Sheol and Cathedral but i've beaten both.

edit: finalow, you need to get an angel room (cathedral) or a devil room (Sheol) during that fight to continue after that. After beating
Mom's Heart
a certain number of times they're unlocked permanently.

Ozium

I never played wrath of the lamb (well I installed it on steam a few days before rebirth to scratch my itch waiting for it) so a lot is still new to me... but how should one go about challenges? I did a couple and they were fun and they seem to unlock stuff, but at the same time I want to keep playing the normal game to progress further... are challenges worth doing before normal runs?

also I beat
mom's heart
and had got ending #2 I think? unlocked
rubber cement
but a devil room appeared with a trap door... what would happen if I went in there?
I assume that's how you go to sheol, if so how does that work with unlocking the item getting ending X?

thanks

hbkdx12

Adding coins will upgrade the store., it's
10 coins
for the first upgrade and
100 coins
for the second. It'll sometimes break and not let you add more coins, but it will start accepting coins again on the next run. Probably just a way to stop you adding too many at once if you end up getting a dollar bill or are lucky with coin drops.

Edit: Triple beaten. Does anyone else want to explain this? Also, I can't tell whether my new avatar is creeping me out or not.

My second run i got down to the depths and had 79 cents i couldn't do anything with and that's even with bum friend picking up the stuff i didn't want (i bled the slot machine and blood machine in the arcade dry a few levels earlier) so i'm like alright cool i'll dump all this in the donation box.

Fuckin box jams after 2 coins.

Ah ok cool. It was the Donation box btw that is present inside the shops. I put 10 in and it gave me something, forget what though, and then put it another 10 and it broke the machine. I'll have to check today when I get home from work if the machine is still broke in my next playthroughs.

It won't/shouldn't be

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I never played wrath of the lamb (well I installed it on steam a few days before rebirth to scratch my itch waiting for it) so a lot is still new to me... but how should one go about challenges? I did a couple and they were fun and they seem to unlock stuff, but at the same time I want to keep playing the normal game to progress further... are challenges worth doing before normal runs?

also I beat
mom's heart
and had got ending #2 I think? unlocked
rubber cement
but a devil room appeared with a trap door... what would happen if I went in there?
I assume that's how you go to sheol, if so how does that work with unlocking the item getting ending X?

thanks

I've played a couple of challenges as a sort of palette cleanser between runs, they're fun to play but you can get quite OP from the start in a couple so bear that in mind if you want to have a more natural build up of items.

Ozium

I really don't like the achievement system for rebirth compared to the original...

there's 178 achievements and it seems like 80% of them are hidden, but that's not what I don't like.. the descriptions are basically "you unlocked an item." yeah but how did I do that? the descriptions for the original I remember being more informative..

are there still unlocks tied to beating the game with certain characters?

I've played a couple of challenges as a sort of palette cleanser between runs, they're fun to play but you can get quite OP from the start in a couple so bear that in mind if you want to have a more natural build up of items.

oh I know how they work I am just wondering if the items you unlock by completing them are handy for main runs or if they are detrimental (by being bad and adding to the item pool)

edit: how do you unlock alternative floors, I've unlocked them but have no idea how

Zia

Is Rebirth way easier than vanilla? I didn't play much BoI at all because I hated the aesthetic and I can finish Mom's Heart nearly every run.

maty

I really don't like the achievement system for rebirth compared to the original...

there's 178 achievements and it seems like 80% of them are hidden, but that's not what I don't like.. the descriptions are basically "you unlocked an item." yeah but how did I do that? the descriptions for the original I remember being more informative..

I agree, the achievements should have a description like they did in the original.

I believe some items are unlocked depending on the character you use to beat
Sheol

wetflame

Pizza Dog

oh I know how they work I am just wondering if the items you unlock by completing them are handy for main runs or if they are detrimental (by being bad and adding to the item pool)

edit: how do you unlock alternative floors, I've unlocked them but have no idea how

Each character unlocks a different item when beating the game (and extra levels), I think you can keep track by symbols on the character selection page. I agree it'd be nicer to know how you unlocked the different items, even if it's just for the hidden ones. I guess the reason for not being more descriptive is to keep the way of unlocking stuff a secret for longer. It'll all end up on wikis eventually though. I think you unlock floors by beating all the regular bosses from a particular area, though I might be wrong.

Every time I play this game I get a headache, jesus. Anyone else? I'm loving this game so much but can't play for more than an hour or so at a time. I hope they change the lighting in the game or at least make it an option to turn it off.

Oh weird, I had a headache yesterday because of it too. Never get that from video games. Hmm

hbkdx12

Yep

Is Rebirth way easier than vanilla? I didn't play much BoI at all because I hated the aesthetic and I can finish Mom's Heart nearly every run.
If you're a fairly competent at Vanilla issac, It shouldn't be a problem on normal.

I beat
mom, mom's heart and sheol
in 3 consecutive runs and i only died once and that was on my first run intentionally because i had a terrible terrible item that essentially required me to not get hit in order to make any serious progress

ZenaxPure

Oh weird, I had a headache yesterday because of it too. Never get that from video games. Hmm

Happening to me too, the depths are so dark on the vita that is really strains my eyes, I get a headache if I play for an extended period of time so I've been juggling it and other games or youtube videos.

I actually have a hard time seeing 1 tile sized holes because of it and some rooms I take damage I shouldn't be. It's really rough.

Kinsei

Banned
God damn it, I was doing the first challenge and Mom only had one hit left when I died. I never would have picked up that stupid controllable tear if I had known what it did.

Ozium

since this game is seeded it needs daily challenges ala spelunky

needs them

invent some scoring system and a daily leaderboard.. voila

Top Bottom