• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Denton

Holy shit, 70000 people playing at the same time...these are some AAA numbers.
Had no idea Isaac was so popular.

Mentok

Banned
New to this game and LOVING it...I can see myself wasting hours on it already. That being said, is anyone else finding it buggy? I cleared the objective to unlock Samson, but nothing happened....then I cleared the first 2 levels without damage, but no trophy popped up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: game has also crashed twice since I installed 2.01.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
T2CV
J9CT

5BDE23FD92122327F586E3E90F24606B19872237

Fun run. Decided not to open the treasure chest after beating mom's heart, but to go down to Sheol. I got greedy and fucked around instead of just fighting Satan, though, so I ended up having only 2 hearts left before starting the satan fight, then died against satan's final form. :/

Every time I play this game I get a headache, jesus. Anyone else? I'm loving this game so much but can't play for more than an hour or so at a time. I hope they change the lighting in the game or at least make it an option to turn it off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was randomly walking around in a room and a loading screen popped up I couldn't get out of. What the hell?

Duxxy3

Every time I play this game I get a headache, jesus. Anyone else? I'm loving this game so much but can't play for more than an hour or so at a time. I hope they change the lighting in the game or at least make it an option to turn it off.

It's the way the camera moves in the big rooms. I can't play the game anymore. There is an option to change the way the camera behaves, but they both have the same effect.

The lighting can be a strain as well.

Meia

Had a hilarious run in that I thought I had failed early with the deals I had made(got down to just 1 soul heart early using Azazel), but I got the wafer in a treasure room, hoped for the best, and sure enough a shop in the next level had the Bible. Happy to get that pain in the ass out of the way. :p

I really need to pull up a wiki when I play this. I forgot what most of the items do!

I haven't had any cross save problems between ps4 & vita.

LOL

The game went from "omg im gonna die" to
"Lol now im pacman and can eat everything and with every enemy i heal myself"

I love those new items.

red731

I am picking up everything rngeesus seeds me with.
I go full yolo if it is so bad to remember to not pick it up again.

Haunted

Some random thoughts:

• The new chariot jingle is fucking bad. So bad I'm tempted to believe it's a glitch and the sound files are messed up or something.
  • Azazel didn't seem as OP to me as others have said, his range is really shit, there's no good way to deal with explosive enemies.
  • Cain runs really spoil you - returning to another character without the Luck Foot afterwards feels bad. :p

Ferrio

Banned
Some random thoughts:

• The new chariot jingle is fucking bad. So bad I'm tempted to believe it's a glitch and the sound files are messed up or something.
  • Azazel didn't seem as OP to me as others have said, his range is really shit, there's no good way to deal with explosive enemies.
  • Cain runs really spoil you - returning to another character without the Luck Foot afterwards feels bad. :p

Az has just enough range to avoid exploding enemies.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So is Samson bugged? I've got the trophy for no damage taken in both the basement and the womb and he won't unlock. Also for azazel I assume it's 3 separate deals right? I can't just take 3 options from one?

So is Samson bugged? I've got the trophy for no damage taken in both the basement and the womb and he won't unlock. Also for azazel I assume it's 3 separate deals right? I can't just take 3 options from one?

I just unlocked azazel a little while ago off of 1 room with 2 heart trades, then a 2nd room with 1 more trade and a few grey hearts to back me up. So I don't see why 3 at once wouldn't work.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I had a terrific first run on Rebirth. I got killed by Monstro II in the last area before the skull (is that Mom? I never made it to Mom on PC!), but I was pretty well-stocked. I had a familiar that turned regular hearts into grey hearts, so I always had two full rows of hearts. My tears were rather underpowered, though.

I can't wait
to have some free time
to play this game again!

This game is so unforgiving. Been playing for an hour and just keep dying. 2 runs straight with
Anti-Gravity
Tears. They're cool but I suck with them

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This game is so unforgiving. Been playing for an hour and just keep dying. 2 runs straight with
Anti-Gravity
Tears. They're cool but I suck with them

With that item I realised that they
fire as soon as you let go of the button, or after a short time
, so if you're having a hard time with them you can always
tap the button to shoot them normally

Ferrio

Banned
Just had a cain run where I was super durable. Dark Bum + New shield per room item + infamy mask. Carried me to satan with a brimstone baby in tow.

I only get good items like once in 10 runs.
Is there any way to 'force' an item to spawn? Or it's just pure luck?

You can eventually unlock the D6. Let's you reroll items. But that's an item you get quite aways into the game by beating the last boss with the last unlocked character. Though once you unlock it you can do some crazy shenanigans.

danmaku

I only get good items like once in 10 runs.
Is there any way to 'force' an item to spawn? Or it's just pure luck?

You can't. You can play a seed if you want to be sure a certain item will appear, but it won't count for achievements or unlocks.

This game is awesome. I have no idea what any of the items do and finding out randomly is fun. I love how Isaac's appearance changes and gets more grotesque depending on the items you pick up. I've completed one run and done the first challenge so far but it's awesome.

CassSept

Did anyone list what every dice room does? Right now I only know
6 rerolls your items

One thing I've always wondered:

If you kill Isaac.... then who are you? D:

You are the demons?

I may be late to the party, but I got a Tammy's Head and a Brimstone... and my god, you can one shot entire rooms, EVERY ROOM. I laughed my way to Mom with plenty of time on the clock for the Boss Rush room, but got way too cocky and died there (aside from that combo, items were mediocre at best). Unfortunately I did not get the seed. I would love to do that run again.

kizV7sf.gif

Holy hell!

Some random thoughts:

Lucky Foot has been massively nerfed tho :(

Sciz

Did anyone list what every dice room does? Right now I only know
6 rerolls your items

3 rerolls common items (hearts, chests, etc.) sitting around on the floor.

5 rerolls the floor.

6 rerolls you.

Not sure about the others yet.

Haunted

Lucky Foot has been massively nerfed tho :(
Still really good. Arcade rooms are still abusable if you have a bit to invest to get the ball rolling.

I got the
Humble Bundle
item before that and it was just ridiculous. Should've made a screenshot, 99 pennies, 50+ bombs and keys and the room just filled with item drops.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Randomise the items, so for example I used one the other day and every item I'd picked up so far was changed to a new, random item.
So retooling the floor would mean what. That the layout changes or just the items in it? And rerolling you would mean your powers would change?

Where do you find dice rooms? Hopefully not too deep into the game as I rarely make it to the 4th floor.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So retooling the floor would mean what. That the layout changes or just the items in it? And rerolling you would mean your powers would change?

Where do you find dice rooms? Hopefully not too deep into the game as I rarely make it to the 4th floor.

I think they're a random feature, I've only seen them twice so far. I don't know in detail the effects of the different numbers, but I imagine that in the case you asked about
the layout of the floor would stay the same and the items in it would change
. I might be wrong though, or there might be another effect in which the opposite is true.

d00d3n

Some random thoughts:

The explosive enemies can be a bit tricky while playing as Azazel. Try to explode them when they are moving away from you to decrease the chance of being hit.

One of the biggest strengths of the character, irrespective of what item drops you get (other than the mobility that comes from flying), is the ability to pre-charge a powerful attack before you enter a room. You should always pre-charge as Azazel, and the first order of business when you enter a room is to decide if you have encountered a cramped enemy formation that will present a danger to you. If this is the case, the pre-charged attack should be used to open up a safe zone or to disable one of the more dangerous threats.

Using this strategy, it is almost impossible to take damage as Azazel in the early areas. If you boost your damage with some lucky pick ups, this will continue in the later areas as well (if you don't increase damage, your pre-charged attack will not be enough to kill enemies with one attack, and the strategy will fail). Bosses can still be a problem if you don't know what you are doing, though ... In general, you will kill bosses faster as Azazel, but you will probably have to get closer to the boss than the other characters, which can be a problem if you don't know how to avoid boss projectiles.

New to this game and LOVING it...I can see myself wasting hours on it already. That being said, is anyone else finding it buggy? I cleared the objective to unlock Samson, but nothing happened....then I cleared the first 2 levels without damage, but no trophy popped up. Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: game has also crashed twice since I installed 2.01.

It's definitely glitchy. Trophies haven't popped for me on PS4 either, and it's crashed a few times on both Vita and PS4 for me.

That being said, the trophies seem to be mainly ok on the Vita version.

CassSept

I just got it and screwed up massively.

I rerolled nearly cleared out Utero I into a fresh one and got Curse of Darkness too. Argh.

Edit: I should seriously stop playing as Azazel, but flying + brimstone from the get-go is so hilariously op. At this rate I'll unlock the Chest before I even unlock Cathedral.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
some Steam vs. Vita early impressions:

- loading time is muuuuch longer on Vita, but the game in itself runs very well on it, so that's good. Obviously controls are not as great, as I hate having to use touch controls for stuff. But all the main stuff is bound nicely, so I can swallow (excuse the pun) having to touch the screen for pills and extra power-ups. Got to Depths II boss on my first Vita run, which is not too bad all things considered.

- Screen seems very dark, hard to pick out stuff in a lot of rooms. Maybe that's just a settings thing though.

- trophies don't work on Vita (yet).

But super stoked to have the game available on the go as well! :D

Just beat
Mom's Heart
for the first time, was an incredibly fun run that lasted about 50 minutes. I only had 3 hearts by the end but I had a buddy that
would pick up every single dropped heart (and it wouldn't count toward my hearts when I was missing some) and would drop a Soul Heart instead. Made unlocking that one char super easy.
I also had a buddy that had
a chargeable laser
, made the final boss super easy. I feel like I'm going to get my ass beat by it when I'm not that OP.

- trophies don't work on Vita (yet).

My trophies have been working as far as I know? At least I've gotten one for every character I've unlocked. If some of them were bugged, would I have to complete them again or would they automatically unlock when they're fixed?

aravuus

And now I'm gonna actively try and unlock that character and never use any coins lol

Anyway it seems like the game is fucking chock full with secrets and all kinds of crazy stuff so my question is: if I just keep playing and killing bosses, will I eventually actually finish the game? I don't have to jump through some crazy invisible hoops to unlock the final boss or whatever, right?

NotLiquid

Your build looks sick. Dont know what all it is but there is soooo much shit stuck to you.

Off the top of my head - Rainbow Tears, Sad Onion, Li'l Brimstone, Charge Shots, Blood Clot, Third Eye. Leech, Shielded Shots, Pulse Worm and Infested Baby. It was practically an unmitigated destroyer of worlds run since each room provided random tears. I had to finish Cathedral without taking damage though because I accidentally had an item on me that caused me to teleport if I got hit but the build made it a cakewalk. Definitely one of those moments in the game where the random elements are so fun and unpredictable.

CassSept

Anyway it seems like the game is fucking chock full with secrets and all kinds of crazy stuff so my question is: if I just keep playing and killing bosses, will I eventually actually finish the game? I don't have to jump through some crazy invisible hoops to unlock the final boss or whatever, right?

As of Rebirth there are two final final bosses.

You kill Mom to unlock Mom's Heart. Then you need to kill Mom's Heart several times (in the original it was 10 I believe?) to unlock two parallel bonus floors - Cathedral and Sheol. Then you have to clear Cathedral five times to unlock The Chest and I assume Sheol five times to unlock new level, The Dark Room

Top Bottom