• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

They actually made
Mom's heart
more challenging. At least, that's what it seems like. I beat it less than 30 seconds. I don't know what item caused my brimstone to turn into a floating halo, but god damn do I love it.

-PXG-

I had such a dirty ass run. Sheol and Satan were a joke. He died pretty much instantly.

Oh, the demob judgy follower is soooooo broken. He gives you so many soul hearts.

ElTopo

Banned
Still not enough. It'll take you around 16 clears to unlock the
Polaroid so you can go to the Chest.

That's also not counting the
Shoel equivalent

Quick question, if I beat a challenge does that count towards the number of clears you need?

Managed to come back from being reduced to 1 heart really late in the run when I had gotten up to 5 before (nine lives is a bitch!), eeked out a victory on both mom and mom's heart at the last second. Got lucky, not really skilled over here.

Thrilling!

For someone new to the series, man its tough not knowing what most items do, I have the wiki pulled up but a lot of items are missing still.

I beat
Isaac
with what is possibly one of the most OP item combinations I have ever had so far, only to sync, trying to transfer it over to PS4, and end up overwriting it with an older save...

Well... Time to do that again, I suppose...

Finalow

OA9iHE.gif
what's the item that gives that effect called?

zulux21

For someone new to the series, man its tough not knowing what most items do, I have the wiki pulled up but a lot of items are missing still.

that's kind of the point, and the creators intention. The game is meant to be played repeatedly, with you not only experiencing new things often but learning more about the game such as how enemies act or what items do.

Edmund did agree though that the number of items was to many to expect people to remember them all, thus why when you pick up items hints towards what they do are shown in this version. In the original you got no hints you just had to try them.

Using a wiki isn't a bad idea, especially if you find an item you hate
CURSE YOU IPECAC
and are looking at an item unsure if it's that item you are seeing on screen, but you should start remembering a number of items and in general most of the items don't screw you over, and from what I have seen so far in rebirth some of the items that did screw you over are now trinkets instead of items, so that is nice.

I don't understand how cross saves work in this game. Initially I assumed it was automatic, but ended up losing progress (item log, death count, etc). Then I manually synced on Vita which did bring over my data from my PS4. When I stopped playing on Vita I synced again, assuming I was uploading the most recent save data, but it just synced up with the old data again, resulting in a couple of hours of lost progress. The most frustrating thing is the lack of explanation in the menu about what data is going where.

Can anyone explain exactly what the "sync" button does and when it should be used? I can't believe so many devs manage to complicate the cross save feature.

I'd like to know this as well.

Sync seems to work so weird here.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Quad shot.
Mom's Knife.

Holy fuck.

I one-shot the Bloat. Two-shot Mask of Infamy.

These new synergies, man.

Ferrio

Banned
Had a dreadful maggy run to mom's heart. Shielded tears saved my ass, but I had like barely any damage and tear rate.

Kuroyume

Banned
Just beat Sheol... I think Satan was way fucking harder in the remake. Felt like I had carpal tunnel when it was over.

Btw, someone is offering two copies of terarria and 1 copy of Defy Gravity for Isaac Rebirth in the Steam trade forums in case someone is interested... Lol.

Suirrad

Fuckin great OT!

I played a bit on PS4 earlier and am really liking the game. Ive also loaded it on Vita and am going to give it a go in a bit at work.

So how is this on Vita? Loving the PS4 version.

Seems pretty good for me, so far. My only gripes are that sometimes rooms are a bit too dark to see certain things like rocks, and I get a tiny bit of slowdown in certain rooms when there's a lot of stuff happening at once.

I haven't gotten it yet, but there's also the infinite loading glitch that may happen on the Vita version.

Haunted

Quick question, if I beat a challenge does that count towards the number of clears you need?
I think the important clears are the ones where you beat
Mom's Heart/It Lives in Womb II
. Challenge runs end earlier, with the
Mom boss fight in Depths II

So, probably not. Completing each challenge run does unlock a new item, so they guarantee new stuff, though.

Sarcasm

I never go in the rooms that require a key and isn't a treasure room.

I am mainly talking about the shop and book room, whatever that is.

Am I gimping myself? I hear if you have 15 coins it may be worth it but why?

I need to read up in rooms lol.

Afrodium

Banned

Item Room-tier items go for 15 cents in shops, and if you're lucky they'll be on sale for 7 cents. If you've only got one key then it's a toss up between the shop and item room, but if you have ample money and keys then it's always worthwhile to see what's for sale.

zulux21

early on if you are low on keys your best bet is to just save them for a treasure room.
if you have extra keys though you should try out some locked rooms (as they can have items in them) and if you have extra keys and money you should try out the shop as you can buy items there and donate to improve your shops.

tch

Ok when the notifications that pop up during gameplay that say "(thing) has appeared in the basement" what do these mean. Does this mean new items are appearing? I'm a little confused

They have their uses. You should only enter the shop when you have 15 coins or 7 if you already got the Steam Sale. Library is good because you can get some good books like The Bible (which gives you flight and instakills Mom) or Book of Belial (which increases your damage for that room.)

Edit: Book of Revelation is another good one you can find. It gives you a soul heart (blue heart) whenever you use it.
Edit 2: Apparently the Bible can not be found in the Library (unless they added it in Rebirth). My mistake.

Ferrio

Banned
Ok when the notifications that pop up during gameplay that say "(thing) has appeared in the basement" what do these mean. Does this mean new items are appearing? I'm a little confused

Unlocked a new item and is available in the game.

I'm afraid to find out as I fear I will never be able to sleep again with a vita version playable in bed ><;

I've heard it's a decent version though.
That's precisely what happened to me last night. I figured I'd get a game in before I slept. I ended up playing for an hour and a half.

This fucking game. Beating mom on my first run felt weird as I haven't touched BoI in quite some time. Except for the music, everything is an improvement to me.

The Vita version has been pretty great so far. I haven't run into one of these spectacular synergies people have been posting about so I can't say how low the framerate can get.

zulux21

That's precisely what happened to me last night. I figured I'd get a game in before I slept. I ended up playing for an hour and a half.

This fucking game. Beating mom on my first run felt weird as I haven't touched BoI in quite some time. Except for the music, everything is an improvement to me.

The Vita version has been pretty great so far. I haven't run into one of these spectacular synergies people have been posting about so I can't say how low the framerate can get.

my impressions of rebirth are much the same. I didn't mind the teases of music they did for rebirth, but actually in game I haven't found the music to be very good... I mean it's not bad, but I vastly prefer the original soundtrack so far.

Oh god, this run had one of my favorite synergies to date (...so to speak):

I got Sad Bombs, Anti-Gravity Tears and Lump of Coal. Drop a Bomb, soon as it explodes the tears stay where they are and grow and then when they're maxed they shoot off. Each tear is like...the size of two mes.

Insanity.

Just played my first run today and beat Mom on my first try. I played a lot of the original. Anyone else feel it's a lot easier? Should I play on hard?

jblank83

So I was so excited I finally got mom's knife. I had a ton of range up and tears up, and 2 damage.

Found out the knife now works on range. It shoots way way far out and takes a long time to come back. Damage wasn't crazy, either. I would have done better sticking with tears given my setup.

Someone else mentioned quad shot, which is great. Looks like knife isn't virtually an instant-take, though. There were few instances in regular Isaac where you wouldn't take it, like Quad+Spider Bite or Max Tears + Mulligan.

my impressions of rebirth are much the same. I didn't mind the teases of music they did for rebirth, but actually in game I haven't found the music to be very good... I mean it's not bad, but I vastly prefer the original soundtrack so far.

The crunchy synth isn't doing it for me. I miss that sweet melodic gothic kind of thing DannyB did.

Just played my first run today and beat Mom on my first try. I played a lot of the original. Anyone else feel it's a lot easier? Should I play on hard?

Keep playing and unlocking levels.

zulux21

he said he was rebalancing the game in general. Mom was for sure easier as at the very least the hand isn't a wild animal ready to take you down no matter where you stand :p with the new areas and endings though I imagine the end game will get harder than the previous end game.

zulux21

The crunchy synth isn't doing it for me. I miss that sweet melodic gothic kind of thing DannyB did..

I think the big thing for me is something like this song is both darkish and adventerous sounding while this song is just dark and gritty. The first song I don't mind listening to for a while because the adventurous part inspires me in my run, while the second song feels like something that should only be used for a short time.

edit: gah sorry for the double post.

Renpatsu

What a strange jump cut when you defeat Mom for the first time and then the subsequent teaser just before the credits that looks like it was drawn in Flash and out of place with the rest of the pixel art.

Edit: The game supports custom soundtracks on Vita so if you are yearning for Danny B's original soundtrack put it on your memory card and turn the in game music down.

Stoze

I think the big thing for me is something like this song is both darkish and adventerous sounding while this song is just dark and gritty. The first song I don't mind listening to for a while because the adventurous part inspires me in my run, while the second song feels like something that should only be used for a short time.

edit: gah sorry for the double post.

Tomes may honestly be one of my favorite video game songs period. The original soundtrack has so much variety, yet none if it feels out of place. You need soundtrack variety in a game that you replay over and over again.

The new soundtrack dosen't feel that much out of place to me, but there's not enough variety and no tracks that really make you go "wow".

What a strange jump cut when you defeat Mom for the first time and then the subsequent teaser just before the credits that looks like it was drawn in Flash and out of place with the rest of the pixel art.

Haha yeah that looked stupid. Too much work to pixelate it I guess.

ChronoX

I just had the BEST run ever!!! I killed Satan finally. I got SO many upgrades that it was impossible for me to die!!! I killed every boss in between 1 - 2 seconds! It was insane!

btCFi1y.jpg

ba0jzAM.jpg

Sarcasm

Item Room-tier items go for 15 cents in shops, and if you're lucky they'll be on sale for 7 cents. If you've only got one key then it's a toss up between the shop and item room, but if you have ample money and keys then it's always worthwhile to see what's for sale.

early on if you are low on keys your best bet is to just save them for a treasure room.
if you have extra keys though you should try out some locked rooms (as they can have items in them) and if you have extra keys and money you should try out the shop as you can buy items there and donate to improve your shops.

They have their uses. You should only enter the shop when you have 15 coins or 7 if you already got the Steam Sale. Library is good because you can get some good books like The Bible (which gives you flight and instakills Mom) or Book of Belial (which increases your damage for that room.)

Edit: Book of Revelation is another good one you can find. It gives you a soul heart (blue heart) whenever you use it.
Edit 2: Apparently the Bible can not be found in the Library (unless they added it in Rebirth). My mistake.

Thanks!

Is it really called steam sale?

Edit: The game supports custom soundtracks on Vita so if you are yearning for Danny B's original soundtrack put it on your memory card and turn the in game music down.

Yeah, it looked really out of place. Anyway, thanks for the custom soundtrack tip. Going to try that out later.

Thanks!

Is it really called steam sale?

Strangely, yes. I guess they didn't care.

KiraXD

am i missing something here... why is this game so fun? it seems really repetitive from what ive done so far... (go to but havent beaten mom yet)

Basically just beat the game after 5 or 6 floors? can anyone explain the draw of this game, or any good sites that explain what the items are or what they do... i feel completely lost... but so many people love this game.

Bsigg12

am i missing something here... why is this game so fun? it seems really repetitive from what ive done so far... (go to but havent beaten mom yet)

Basically just beat the game after 5 or 6 floors? can anyone explain the draw of this game, or any good sites that explain what the items are or what they do... i feel completely lost... but so many people love this game.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth

That's for the items. The game has a ton of stuff after the mom fight. It's a rogue like so you are repeating tile sets but things change each run. Do the challenges if you can as they're a fun way to see a few of the games different mechanics.

Top Bottom