• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

corn_fest

The big rooms are kinda shitty. They just feel more like a punishment than anything.

- Breaks map flow and makes it harder to find secret rooms
- Usually bad layouts with a bunch of dead space in the middle
- Almost never worth doing (should give 2 room drops or at least guaranteed 100% drop rate)
- Just personal opinion, but I'm really attached to the quick "one more room" progression of the original. These kinda mess with that flow.

jblank83

I'm also not sure how I feel about the huge XL rooms, someone a while back said they break up the pacing and I'm inclined to agree.

I don't hate them, but I very much dislike having enemies just offscreen shooting at or charging at me.

The big rooms are kinda shitty. They just feel more like a punishment than anything.

- Almost never worth doing (should give 2 room drops or at least guaranteed 100% drop rate)
- Just personal opinion, but I'm really attached to the quick "one more room" progression of the original. These kinda mess with that flow.

I can't totally disagree, although I don't dislike them enough to describe them as "shitty". Interfering with secret room hunting is definitely irritating. Also, double room drops is a good idea.

I was also thinking of the "one more room" thing, but didn't know how to express it. It's just a good dynamic. The big rooms don't add much to the core gameplay other than being big with a bunch of enemies.

It almost feels like 2 steps forward and a small 1/2 step backwards. A little disappointing, but at the same time I don't think anyone is going to go back to the original much after playing this. The gameplay and and new content improvements are just too good.

I would play the original if I hadn't already done everything there is to do in it. The core game mechanics haven't changed. It's still a good formula. It's the new content in Rebirth, levels items and enemies, that has refreshed it.

teeg

I don't like moms new voice. It doesn't sound as sadistic and menancing as the original .

There's clearly some decisions regarding sound and music that make me scratch my head a bit.

I don't remember what level it was but the music sounded like i was playing hotline miami

This is exactly how I've felt with both the sound effect and music choices in this one. I guess I loved the original that much.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hears the Hotline Miami sounding tones/music in the soundtrack.

I get your complaint, but I'm thrilled with the variety. The "flow" of this kind of game is way less important than interesting and engaging room layouts. When I do a large room, I don't feel like I'm doing anything worth earning better drops since there are a lot of smaller rooms that are a lot harder than most of the larger rooms I've encountered.

The issue with the secret room is understandable. It just makes the game harder, which I'm totally fine with.

Oh god. I only got 50 hours deep with the Steam version. Wrath of the Lamb didn't pull me back in the way I hoped it would.

This however. This fucking game on my Vita?
I forgot myself on the toilet for an hour and a half.

Anyone else feel like it's easier to get good builds going than it was in the vanilla game? I feel like every third game I'm a total beast while getting a build that felt good in the original could take dozens of failed attempts.

SerTapTap

I was thinking yesterday about how especially in the pixel art style with the nice cutscenes that Binding of Isaac really takes McMillen's art to another level.

His art is very iconic, to like epic design status.

I actually don't really like the look int the cutscenes, the "scribble" wobble effect looks really fake when it's pixel art. Ingame looks fine though.

Beat moms heart twice is that the last boss? I want to delve deeper!

Let's just say that there's...more

Oh god. I only got 50 hours deep with the Steam version. Wrath of the Lamb didn't pull me back in the way I hoped it would.

This however. This fucking game on my Vita?
I forgot myself on the toilet for an hour and a half.

Anyone else feel like it's easier to get good builds going than it was in the vanilla game? I feel like every third game I'm a total beast while getting a build that felt good in the original could take dozens of failed attempts.

It's because the game is both easier at first (the game is supposed to get harder as you play) and the starting item pool is smaller, so getting good items is easier right now. You could also try Hard mode if you want more of a challenge.

Stoze

I would play the original if I hadn't already done everything there is to do in it. The core game mechanics haven't changed. It's still a good formula. It's the new content in Rebirth, levels items and enemies, that has refreshed it.

Yeah that's what I mean. Rebirth still has the core Isaac experience intact and that's really all that matters. Not saying you couldn't go back and enjoy the original.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Any beginner tips?

Just play, buy and pick up everything you can to get a feel of the items, but be conservative with bombs and to some extent keys. Make deals with devil, go into challenge and sacrifice rooms, just do it all.

After a while you'll get a better sense of what's worth doing and what's not.

Secret rooms have at least two entrances(?), so you can sometimes narrow down their location to one or two spots.

I beat mom on my second try and thought wow the change from flash really made this earlier. Boy was I fucking wrong. I've gotten to mom's heart twice. The first time I beat her and was super hype but then her explosion of tears hit me while I was on my last sliver of health. Today I got about half her life bar down but then died. I had guppy's collar so I thought okay I got it this time but it didn't respawn me. Im on like a 25 game losing streak I think. Fuck this game

in a good way though

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Only reached the Heart twice and both times the entrance to Sheol popped up. I was not ready :'(.

hbkdx12

I actually kinda like the MS Paint endings. There's a surprising amount of them, a lot of variety and it doesn't look so bad in motion. It's just neat seeing a new item in Rebirth unlock, Isaac use it in the cutscene and then trying to figure out what the fuck it does just from that.

I also completely fucked one of my best runs ever by picking up something I had never seen before which turned out to be
Cursed Charge Shot
while I had
Soy Milk
. Like, as soon as I saw the synergy I just...took a break.
Fuck that
cursed charge shot
. After having it for a few rooms i just intentionally killed myself

But even then you still have stuff like no description or even a name in the item collection, and a kind of unbalanced and over-sized starting pool of items.

I can't believe there are still no descriptions. There are so many items and it's so hard to keep track of them.

Just beat
Satan
for my first time though. Was pretty exciting stuff. I also almost had a no damage run through the womb. And I had the bible, so I'm really beating myself up since I fucked up and got hit right before mom's heart.

Oh, and if anybody was wondering, I'm pretty sure now that there are no trophy issues when playing on the Vita (as opposed to the PS4, where they basically wouldn't pop anymore).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It is pretty ridiculous, I can see it being nerfed. As a single item it is so good.

Yeah, giving you three soul hearts for two regular hearts is like, the best trade ever. Especially when you don't have a lot of heart containers.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Had an item in my inventory, came across another and god damn it I had no idea which one I wanted to take. Hate how obscure the game is sometimes.

Also, and this is a very minor personal quibble, but I hate how much poop there is in the game. I really wish it was more geared towards gore as it's a lot more unsettling. The abundance of shit everywhere is just bleh.

dralla

Just play, buy and pick up everything you can to get a feel of the items, but be conservative with bombs and to some extent keys. Make deals with devil, go into challenge and sacrifice rooms, just do it all.

After a while you'll get a better sense of what's worth doing and what's not.

Secret rooms have at least two entrances(?), so you can sometimes narrow down their location to one or two spots.

Are there any indications a secret room is near by? I noticed sometimes I'll see a room on my map with a question mark on it, I'm guessing that's a hidden room and some item I picked up let me see it on the map?

Are there any indications a secret room is near by? I noticed sometimes I'll see a room on my map with a question mark on it, I'm guessing that's a hidden room and some item I picked up let me see it on the map?

Yes, also look for suspicious areas on the map where there is an empty square surrounded by 3-4 discovered rooms. It's still a gamble to place a bomb but many times there's a hidden room.

bidguy

Banned

no unless you have items like x ray vision or the mining helmet but there is never a secret room in rooms next to the boss

KarmaCow

Had an item in my inventory, came across another and god damn it I had no idea which one I wanted to take. Hate how obscure the game is sometimes.

Also, and this is a very minor personal quibble, but I hate how much poop there is in the game. I really wish it was more geared towards gore as it's a lot more unsettling. The abundance of shit everywhere is just bleh.

The item descriptions when picking up items are all over the place. Some are way too vague, even when you know what the item does while others flat out say what it does.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

[O]-[O]
[O][ ?]
[O]-[O]

Excuse the crudeness of it all, but if you see a layout like that, with an empty spot on the map where I put the ?, that's usually a secret room. Basically the middle of a horse-shoe shape. And yeah, there are a couple of items that let you see hidden rooms.

JJD

This game is digital crack. I haven't touched any other game, even Destiny since Isaac released on PS4.

I have the PC original, but never really played because I hate M/KB controls and couldn't get a pad to work with my Macbook.

Yesterday I played from 11PM until 5 AM. And I only stopped because I had to get up at 8AM, LOL! I'm back at home and instead of catching up on my sleep I'm already playing it again.

I had some overpowered characters on my previous runs, but nothing compared to my last one.

My attack and range were maxed, and speed and tears speed were pretty high as well. Had about 6 red hearts and 3 black ones.

I was flying, my tears were poisonous, went through objects and I had that monkey paw that changes your tears every room you enter. I also had a gigantic fly army circling around me non stop, they didn't stop enemy shots from hitting me but anyone that got close was toast.

And finally before I reached mom's heart I found that severed head that makes you shoot in every direction with one charge.

I was two, maybe three shooting every sub boss, if I used the head it took almost half the health of stage bosses. I got to the cathedral and killing Isaac was a walk in the park!

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The item descriptions when picking up items are all over the place. Some are way too vague, even when you know what the item does while others flat out say what it does.

Exactly. The system for the Pills is spot on - find out what an item does when you use it, Everything else is just a pain. The Fork sounds like something I'd want, but also this cat claw thing might be good. With no discernible effect on gameplay, who the hell knows?

Sciz

You can find items that reveal them, yes.
Not all revealing items reveal both types of secret room.

There are also certain rules they follow that determines where they spawn.

Secret rooms are usually bordered by three other rooms. Sometimes two, sometimes four, but the general point is that they have to be touching multiple other rooms.

Super secret rooms can only touch one other normal room, that being the one you enter it from. They can touch additional special rooms (e.g. shops), but only the one normal room.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I deleted this after five minutes. I was playing a game as a fetus, shooting baby tears at piles of shit. It wasn't fun and it mystifies me that people would play this. I'm clearly missing something.

lol

marrec

Banned
Exactly. The system for the Pills is spot on - find out what an item does when you use it, Everything else is just a pain. The Fork sounds like something I'd want, but also this cat claw thing might be good. With no discernible effect on gameplay, who the hell knows?
Finding out what the items do is kinda half the fun for me. I can see how some would get frustrated though.

Ferrio

Banned
Would guys say that Rebirth is easier or harder then the original + Wrath of Lamb?

Once you unlock everything is terrible it seems about the same. When you first start it's easier due to the low item pool and stuff hasn't been ramped up like it probably is on your OG isaac game.

Mom's heart is harder which is good, cause heart was a cake walk compared to the regular mom fight.

bronk

Banned
The game will not start up for me. Its stuck loading at first screen on ps4 :(. Im really sick today and I jus wanna lay in bed and play. I cant get it to work. Bummer.

jblank83

[O]-[O]
[O][ ?]
[O]-[O]

Excuse the crudeness of it all, but if you see a layout like that, with an empty spot on the map where I put the ?, that's usually a secret room. Basically the middle of a horse-shoe shape. And yeah, there are a couple of items that let you see hidden rooms.

Yeah, the secret room is usually (but not always) a blank space touching 3 other rooms. Sometimes it's only touching 2 rooms, though. On some levels it's very easy to find, unless it breaks the "3 rooms" rule. Then you just give up and go to the next level.

Also, levels have a second hidden room that doesn't play by those rules. The 2nd hidden room might only be touching 1 other room.

SerTapTap

Would guys say that Rebirth is easier or harder then the original + Wrath of Lamb?

On normal mode, pre-Everything Is Terrible I'd say it's easier. Probably mostly because almost every item is actually useful though. Combos that used to be run-ending due to how items intacted are now ungodly powerful, too. If anything it's "fixed" moreso than "easier". Though Devil Rooms are far more common on Normal mode too. If you WANT it harder, well, always Hard mode.

Difficulty curve feels a bit better. Especially without the whole "learn which items to avoid" thing, because most you can just mindlessly pick up and benefit from

I deleted this after five minutes. I was playing a game as a fetus, shooting baby tears at piles of shit. It wasn't fun and it mystifies me that people would play this. I'm clearly missing something.

You're not a fetus, you're a baby!
The familiars are fetuses though. Dead ones!

carlos

Sounds like you might have used the blood bank too much. The blood bank allows you to take damage in exchange for money. It takes half a heart each time you hit it and you'll get money in return. If you do it with your last half heart, you'll die

That's the funny thing, I was at full hearts (4 or 5 I think) and doing well, first time seeing the arcade...wonder what this does....boom I'm dead. It was in the challenge mode, if it makes any difference.

thanks for the replies and explanations guys, guess I just have crap luck since I hardly get any weapon upgrades .

I've started this yesterday and it's as fun as ever! :D I wondered why the game seemed so seemingly easy but I was quickly told by a friend that there's a reason for that so yeah :p

And has anybody found a fix to cross-saving? I started on my PS4 and would now continue on my Vita but no matter where or when I press the Sync button I get "Unknown Error Occurred" :/

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Finding out what the items do is kinda half the fun for me. I can see how some would get frustrated though.

Finding out what they do is fun, sure, but when items give me no indication what they actually do is less so. I mean, I held that fork for nearly an entire run through the game and just couldn't tell what it did.

I just looked it up and apparently it
gives a 10% chance of healing Isaac by half a heart when you clear a room
. Had no idea. So obtuse it turns me off the game (which I'm really enjoying, other than this issue).

Grief.exe

Yesterday I played from 11PM until 5 AM. And I only stopped because I had to get up at 8AM, LOL! I'm back at home and instead of catching up on my sleep I'm already playing it again.

I wish I could do this. I always play like trash when I am that tired.

SerTapTap

Finding out what they do is fun, sure, but when items give me no indication what they actually do is less so. I mean, I held that fork for nearly an entire run through the game and just couldn't tell what it did.

I just looked it up and apparently it
gives a 10% chance of healing Isaac by half a heart when you clear a room
. Had no idea. So obtuse it turns me off the game (which I'm really enjoying, other than this issue).

I also take like a week to remember what all the cards do every time I start playing again, so I always play with Platinum God open in a tab. Been doing that with Rebirth as well, but trying to do it less so (half because I'm just getting started, half because well it's not all the way up to date anyway)

Celegus

You say that as if it were a bad thing?

The original was very polarizing in terms of difficulty. You needed to have some luck because there were items that were literally worthless. A few were actually bugged and just had hidden negative effects. It was very easy to run into a stretch of bad luck and have an unwinnable run. The other side of the coin is that there were also some massively OP items combos that would guarantee you a win if you got them. The original was either super easy or impossible to beat.

The current game is well balanced enough that you can win without the OP item combos and it's fairly difficult to find an item that is truly 100% worthless in rebirth. It's more based on skill rather than luck now IMO. That being said, the Dark Bum familiar is super overpowered right now. Even with the heart container limit, that thing is ridiculous.

Nachtmaer

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but there's something strange going on when you run the game in fullscreen mode. First I took a screenshot running fullscreen and it showed my character being in a room a couple of levels back. Then I did it again in window mode and everything looked like it was supposed to. I didn't move at all and tried both Puush and print screen, same result. It's not a big deal but I thought it was funny.

I'll just post the links for spoilers and all.

http://puu.sh/cFAOT/2aeb496125.jpg

http://puu.sh/cFATZ/7db6b67de5.jpg

Top Bottom