• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Manu

I'm enjoying the game but some of the items, I just don't understand what they do.

After a few tries I can get as far as the caves. I wish the game explained itself better sometimes.

Grief.exe

I'm enjoying the game but some of the items, I just don't understand what they do.

After a few tries I can get as far as the caves. I wish the game explained itself better sometimes.

No one knows, that's the fun of discovery inherent to the game.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but there's something strange going on when you run the game in fullscreen mode. First I took a screenshot running fullscreen and it showed my character being in a room a couple of levels back. Then I did it again in window mode and everything looked like it was supposed to. I didn't move at all and tried both Puush and print screen, same result. It's not a big deal but I thought it was funny.

I'll just post the links for spoilers and all.

http://puu.sh/cFAOT/2aeb496125.jpg

http://puu.sh/cFATZ/7db6b67de5.jpg

You're going to have to point it out, both shots look right?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

It will take some time to learn what the items do and which ones are good. I'd recommend watching some Twitch streams or Youtube videos to get a feel for strategy.

Seventh

Is there a way to do a quick reset when using a controller? With a keyboard you can just hold R, but I don't see an option for controllers.

Had an item in my inventory, came across another and god damn it I had no idea which one I wanted to take. Hate how obscure the game is sometimes.

Also, and this is a very minor personal quibble, but I hate how much poop there is in the game. I really wish it was more geared towards gore as it's a lot more unsettling. The abundance of shit everywhere is just bleh.

This is not the kind of game that holds your hand as you learn what everything does. If you don't want to take the time to figure it out, you can always use a wiki. personally, it's the main reason this game is so engaging for me.

Nachtmaer

You're going to have to point it out, both shots look right?

I was standing in the exact same location when I took both screenshots. The fullscreen one showed me being in a room a couple of levels before the one I was actually in (same run). I have no clue how this even happened.

SamVimes

So apparently the items don't get taken out of the pool when you see them anymore? I passed twice on 9 lives in my current run.

Ok I'm semi-new to this game, on ps4 how do you actually buy things from the shop? I have money in the vault that says lets say 8 coins, but whenever I go to any item it wont let me pick or anything.

I'm kind of frustrated, because while I love Spelunky, I'm having a hard time figuring this out, make it through the dungeoin I get that, but there's nothing in the way of even a small tutorial, so I'm not sure what's going on or the doors, etc.

Is there like an in depth this is this and that is that type page?

Thanks all.

Grief.exe

So apparently the items don't get taken out of the pool when you see them anymore? I passed twice on 9 lives in my current run.

Items are only taken out of the pool if you take them, not just see them.

Ok I'm semi-new to this game, on ps4 how do you actually buy things from the shop? I have money in the vault that says lets say 8 coins, but whenever I go to any item it wont let me pick or anything.

I'm kind of frustrated, because while I love Spelunky, I'm having a hard time figuring this out, make it through the dungeoin I get that, but there's nothing in the way of even a small tutorial, so I'm not sure what's going on or the doors, etc.

Thanks all.

You need to have the money on you, the donation machine is another mechanic entirely.

if i have any issue, it's with the pills. The game will remember what a pill does if you pick it up a second time during the same run and that's only if you used it the first time. That doesn't carry over to a new run, though, so you always wonder if a pill is going to give you health or lower your range.

Would guys say that Rebirth is easier or harder then the original + Wrath of Lamb?

I'll give you edmunds answer:

Easier at first. harder later.

If you want "harder earlier," you can try Hard mode. From what I'm hearing, even ColbaltStreak, someone that had hundred+ winning streaks in WOTL, is having difficulty with it.

Ferrio

Banned

Thanks all.

The donation thing is a new mechanic. You put money in it and it unlocks more options in the shops across multiple play throughs. You still need money on your person to actually buy the items in the shop.

if i have any issue, it's with the pills. The game will remember what a pill does if you pick it up a second time during the same run and that's only if you used it the first time. That doesn't carry over to a new run, though, so you always wonder if a pill is going to give you health or lower your range.

That's the beauty of pills. Different players approach them differently. Some will YOLO any and every pill, some will use them only if they're about to die in the hopes it saves their ass, some will leave them unless they have a PHD to identify what they do.

KarmaCow

This is not the kind of game that holds your hand as you learn what everything does. If you don't want to take the time to figure it out, you can always use a wiki. personally, it's the main reason this game is so engaging for me.

The thing is that you can pick up Cancer and figure out immediately that it's increasing your fire rate. But then you pick up Mom's Pearl read the unhelpful description and it's fairly unlikely you'll notice what it does. I would appreciate if things that had subtler effects like increased drop rate had better descriptions so it's easier to remember what each of the 450+ items do.

Well it's randomized on each run so it can't carry over. It makes things that increase your luck more useful since they make using pills more lucrative.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

That's how it was in the original and how it should work. Every pill being the same in every run would be boring.

aravuus

Okay, so that was probably the boss rush room

Haha goddamn, went in without thinking and it turned out to be the most intense BoI experience so far lol

SerTapTap

I don't like moms new voice. It doesn't sound as sadistic and menancing as the original .

There's clearly some decisions regarding sound and music that make me scratch my head a bit.

I don't remember what level it was but the music sounded like i was playing hotline miami

I couldn't tell if it wasn't the same or just my imagination, it does sound less impactful though. It's still got a bit of that demonic self-echo effect but not as much I think?
ISAAAAAAAAAC!

Pill effects and colors are randomized each run, so you "remembering" only makes sense within a run.

F5ABC58A099616B36129981F93E5862F6097888B

I feel like a more evil Dr. Doom.

Celegus

I'm playing on Vita and can't figure out how activate a pill. Anykne know how?

Tap the icon on the screen at the bottom right. I eat every pill I find, and have a horrible habit of buying way too many devil items and entering the final boss with 1-2 hearts. Just so tempting!

Made it to Mom on my first run and got within 10 or so shots of offing her before she schmucked me. No damage upgrades either, I was killing shit left, right and centre with PURE SKILL. So, so excited to play this game again, probably dropped close to 300 hours on the original.

SamVimes

Holy shit this run gave me Guppy's Paw, Guppy's Collar, Guppy's Tail and two nine lives. Someone really wanted me to become guppy.

edit: i just found Guppy's head, holy shit haha

Kouriozan

Finally bought it, my very first run :

wDg7GsF.jpg

Of course the Mom was a joke, initially I had that control tears thing then walked on a dice with the number 1 and got most of the stuff in my pic.

Holy shit this run gave me Guppy's Paw, Guppy's Collar, Guppy's Tail and two nine lives. Someone really wanted me to become guppy.

edit: i just found Guppy's head, holy shit haha

I wonder if one of those items increases the likelihood of seeing guppy items.

SamVimes

Most overpowered run i had in a while, it started super slow (Maggy...) but by the end in Sheol i was Guppy with 7 heart containers, 20/20 vision, brimstone baby, freezing tear and poison tears.

Just had a 1:10 game where I made countless deals with the devil, got Brother Bobby, the Dead Baby and some weird curses. When I reached Womb II, I had no idea what buffs I had. That's when I rerolled my shit. By that point, I had 4 little guys flying around me, flies generated out of my ass and an army of blue spiders. That was as awesome as it was confusing.

Seed is EQPA 3YGL.

Damn, I love this game.

Edit: yeah, I got a lot of Guppy stuff too.

The donation thing is a new mechanic. You put money in it and it unlocks more options in the shops across multiple play throughs. You still need money on your person to actually buy the items in the shop.

That's the beauty of pills. Different players approach them differently. Some will YOLO any and every pill, some will use them only if they're about to die in the hopes it saves their ass, some will leave them unless they have a PHD to identify what they do.

Oh shit, I was thinking it was like a bank of available funds. That's DUMB

Novocaine

Ugh, getting unknown error when I try to sync my saves. I was hoping to play some couch co-op with my lady on the weekend but my big save is on the Vita.

I guess I can start a new file but still :(

I have to get this out of my system: This game is out and its rated M. Back when Nintendo didn't want it on their systems people on here told me it would never ever get anything below an AO-rating and I thought they were the most insane people ever.

Grief.exe

I have to get this out of my system: This game is out and its rated M. Back when Nintendo didn't want it on their systems people on here told me it would never ever get anything below an AO-rating and I thought they were the most insane people ever.

Isaac could almost scrape by with a T rating.

No realistic gore, nudity, other than some bare buts, sex, or bad words.

It has some potentially offensive religious material, but nothing too bad.

Is this game capped at 60 FPS on PC? I can't seem to find an answer. Surely some of you guys on PC are playing with 120 / 144 hz monitors.

SerTapTap

TBH I'm kinda surprised it's an M, but glad it's not AO so they didnt' have to take anything out for the PS release. But thinking about it, I guess there's really nothing beyond religious crap (which isn't really what ESRB cares about) that makes it any more explicit than many M rated games. Now, Cunt...probably...wouldn't fly on a console.

Chesskid1

Banned
I'm having the same problem. Tried to load my cross save, failed. Now the game won't load. Was working great yesterday!

7cDPveW.png

i just bite the bullet and started a new save when my old save was getting endless loading.

if it happens again, ill try contacting nicalis.

i'm just going to play one version, cross-save is not implemented well atm so i don't wanna mess with it.

Top Bottom