• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Piccoro

Hey, I tried this seed in the Vita version and it doesn't work, what gives?
jasgN9j.png

I tried it with both "O"'s and "0"...

dosh

Ok, let's talk weird favourite items. Not the usual stuff like Brimstone or Mom's Knife, but the stuff that when you see them you give a little cheer. For me, one of these is the X-Ray Specs. I love those things. Makes it so easy to find the secret rooms, meaning you get to save all your bombs. I know it's not a super powerful item, but it's really helpful.

I like it too.

One of my favorite are the Thunder Thighs. You get one more heart, reduced speed and the ability to destroy rocks, pots, etc. by walking on them.
You can basically stomp your way around, smashing everything away. Also super useful to hunt down marked rocks and get a ton of soul hearts.
This was the first item I got in the 689D MH34 seed on ps4 but for some reason the Vita version gives me another bonus in the same room (Revenge Spider).

LakeEarth

After beating the game once, I played again to beat
Mom's heart
, but just before that boss battle it teleported me to another level filled with fast monsters that exploded on contact. As basically all my weapons were short range, and cause I had the terrible exploding brain weapon, I quickly lost everything and died. Dammit!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I finally completed all of the challenges. Family man was definitely the hardest for me but Bob's Brain carried me in the successful run. I now have a much higher appreciation for that item.

All hail Bob's Brain?

I finally completed all of the challenges. Family man was definitely the hardest for me but Bob's Brain carried me in the successful run. I now have a much higher appreciation for that item.

All hail Bob's Brain?

Bob's Brain can be good but it can also just royally screw you over, depending how the room layouts are. Especially if you get bomb synergy items, particularly the one that increases bomb radius. That's just rough.

ampere

I really like how you can save and exit if you need to stop playing

It was always a bummer if I was having a good run but it was really late or I had to leave

I even had my game crash last night and it recovered my save and was just a floor back or something. No huge huge loss

OnPoint

Had a great run going. Was sufficiently powerful and was into a second row of real hearts.

Then it gave me
Nine Lives
. What a shitty powerup to fuck everything I was doing up. Practical
1 hit kills on me as it reset my heart count to 1 and it always warped me out of the room on death
so it made it impossible to beat bosses.

Thanks BoI:R.

Can't wait to play more tonight

All hail Bob's Brain?

Same here, wouldn't have been able to beat it without the brain.

CassSept

So there really is no achievement for
Mega Satan
, nor any way to track it? Shame.
So he's a completely bonus boss? Makes sense as you can't go for him every run but still, at least any sort of unlock for one kill would be nice

Deathstroke

Neo Member
Had a great run going. Was sufficiently powerful and was into a second row of real hearts.

Then it gave me
Nine Lives
. What a shitty powerup to fuck everything I was doing up. Practical
1 hit kills on me as it reset my heart count to 1 and it always warped me out of the room on death
so it made it impossible to beat bosses.

Thanks BoI:R.

Can't wait to play more tonight

Nine lives
is just awful. It ruined my last run.

Mega Satan
So he's a completely bonus boss? Makes sense as you can't go for him every run but still, at least any sort of unlock for one kill would be nice

I bet there's something we are missing with that boss. It seems strange that it's not acknowledged at all.
Nine lives
is just awful. It ruined my last run.
It's a great item, but only in synergy with others, like
Guppy's Paw

autoduelist

Secret Rooms...

So after a couple runs with various map/see forever type upgrades, I've found that the two secret rooms are often extremely valuable. However, I've been skipping these on 99% of my runs, only going for them when they're marked or opened accidentally by a miniboss or something. I've been using my bombs on tinted rocks, getting to blocked items, and occasionally on mushroom clusters... but now I think I'm doing it wrong and that it's worth using them trying to find the rooms.

So... I'm wondering how important finding secret rooms are to everyone. How many bombs do you stockpile before you burn a few on random guessing? How do you go about guessing? Basically, I'm wondering if there are any secret room tips.

Celegus

Secret Rooms...

So after a couple runs with various map/see forever type upgrades, I've found that the two secret rooms are often extremely valuable. However, I've been skipping these on 99% of my runs, only going for them when they're marked or opened accidentally by a miniboss or something. I've been using my bombs on tinted rocks, getting to blocked items, and occasionally on mushroom clusters... but now I think I'm doing it wrong and that it's worth using them trying to find the rooms.

So... I'm wondering how important finding secret rooms are to everyone. How many bombs do you stockpile before you burn a few on random guessing? How do you go about guessing? Basically, I'm wondering if there are any secret room tips.

I try not to go under 3-4 bombs, but I do use most of them for finding secret rooms. Always check any empty squares that are surrounded by 3 rooms (like a U shape).

Secret Rooms...

Secret rooms are always connected to as many rooms as possible, so check for that. If you could bomb into the room from three directions, it's probably there.

Super secret rooms are a bit harder to guess but sometimes it's obvious when you go down a path that just ends with no significant room. It's often at the end of that path.

ugh any tips except just trying over and over until you get items that make ??? not be a garbage character? it was not this hard in the original game.

You can better your odds by playing well, but there is a luck factor. I got to
link's bedroom
randomly on the first floor and it gave me
three extra spirit hearts
. Normally having extra hearts to trade with ??? is difficult, but not getting hit on the next two floors gave me two opportunities to get devil rooms, which allowed me to get Brimstone and finish he run. So, luck by getting enough hearts for a trade and getting a good option, but skill in that I didn’t take any damage for two floors.

Really, devil and angel rooms are usually my path to victory since it’s been easy to not get hit on the early floors and bosses. Cellar is a bitch, still, but as long as I’m not fighting The Haunt, I’ll get a devil deal more often than not on the second floor.

Also, bombs on early bosses help.

I've gotten Nine Lives twice. The first time I retained all of my hearts, the second time my hearts we reduced to 1. Is that normal?

Nine lives should always reduce your red hearts to one (letting you keep your additional spirit and black hearts), so you either got the 1-up or the game glitched.

Sciz

They're worth it more often than not, as long as you don't go around guessing randomly.

Tips:
Secret rooms will generally be touching three other non-boss rooms. You can rule out blank spots where one of the borders is inaccessible without mobility upgrades, e.g. there's a chasm preventing you from walking up to the wall.

Super secret rooms will generally be touching only the room they're accessed from, and like to be located near the boss. Rooms containing red, black, or eternal hearts will force almost all heart spawns in that room to be of that type, which is highly exploitable given the right items.

In either case, if no suitable location is available due to how the floor spawned, they'll break their own rules.

You can better your odds by playing well, but there is a luck factor. I got to
link's bedroom
randomly on the first floor and it gave me
three extra spirit hearts
. Normally having extra hearts to trade with ??? is difficult, but not getting hit on the next two floors gave me two opportunities to get devil rooms, which allowed me to get Brimstone and finish he run. So, luck by getting enough hearts for a trade and getting a good option, but skill in that I didn’t take any damage for two floors.

Really, devil and angel rooms are usually my path to victory since it’s been easy to not get hit on the early floors and bosses. Cellar is a bitch, still, but as long as I’m not fighting The Haunt, I’ll get a devil deal more often than not on the second floor.

Also, bombs on early bosses help.

I got platinum god on the original version, I'm pretty good on the mechanics, but on the deeper floors on this one, it's pretty hard to not take at least some damage and that'll completely wreck a ??? run.

I guess if devil rooms are key, (like I thought they might be), going for evil+ items is probably a good idea. I unlocked Krampus, and his item is pretty excellent too, although I kind of miss lump of coal...

ugh any tips except just trying over and over until you get items that make ??? not be a garbage character? it was not this hard in the original game.

Yeah, it's all about just getting lucky items with ???. I got to
Isaac
three times before I was able to beat him, and when I did finally beat him it was due mainly to having high damage triple tears (and that item that makes you invincible for a bit, which helped hugely in getting through the
cathedral
). Didn't even have the dark bum, which I was starting to think would be necessary.

Definitely wasn't this hard in the original. Believe that all we had to do then was beat
It Lives

Too bad i didn' get any angel room to unlock the final door, i would have beaten
mega satan
so easily, i was so much overpowered that ??? died in one shot

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally unlocked Azazel. Completely by accident, as a chest in a spike door room teleported me to the last Devil Room I needed. Love when stuff like that happens.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Mega Satan
I thought I saw someone say you can't access challenge 19 until then? maybe I'm just misremembering.

challenge 19 unlocks
epic fetus, the most OP item in the game
so whatever you need to get and beat 19 is big I'd say.

Celegus

I thought I saw someone say you can't access challenge 19 until then? maybe I'm just misremembering.

challenge 19 unlocks
epic fetus, the most OP item in the game
so whatever you need to get and beat 19 is big I'd say.

I haven't touched any of the challenges yet. Any of the other rewards particularly worth going after?

I got platinum god on the original version, I'm pretty good on the mechanics, but on the deeper floors on this one, it's pretty hard to not take at least some damage and that'll completely wreck a ??? run.

I guess if devil rooms are key, (like I thought they might be), going for evil+ items is probably a good idea. I unlocked Krampus, and his item is pretty excellent too, although I kind of miss lump of coal...

Lump of Coal is still in the game! They just give you two (maybe more?) options when you beat Krampus.

SerTapTap

After using Tammy's Head with Azazel, Krampus' head just...isn't has impactful as it should be. Not a terrible use item though.

Im surprised Sony put this on PS+, and even more surprised there hasnt been a shit ton of controversy over it yet.

There'd be more controversy if the game weren't so heavily focused on gameplay, I think. Or, of course, if it weren't an indie game. Super glad Sony decided it was worth funding and stupid heads aren't trying to start shit, not that Edmund would care much honestly.

ElTopo

Banned
Came so close to beating Isaac with Isaac. I skipped the Bible to fight
It Lives
and stuck with Tammy's Head but I didn't have an amazing super weapon to go with it. I got Isaac down to the last bit of health and I just figured out the pattern of the fight when a random hit got me. I had Guppy's Collar but of course it brought me back to life with 1 heart and spawns me outside the boss door and the boss regains all of his health...

After using Tammy's Head with Azazel, Krampus' head just...isn't has impactful as it should be. Not a terrible use item though.

There'd be more controversy if the game weren't so heavily focused on gameplay, I think. Or, of course, if it weren't an indie game. Super glad Sony decided it was worth funding and stupid heads aren't trying to start shit, not that Edmund would care much honestly.

I agree! I'm thrilled that Sony was so willing to promote such a weird game. They are really focusing the PS+ on games that play extremely well (velocity 2x, sports friends, towerfall, etc.)

David___

Banned
Im surprised Sony put this on PS+, and even more surprised there hasnt been a shit ton of controversy over it yet.

If there was controversy at all it would've been 3 years ago when vanilla came out, and even then there wasn't much of a controversy then iirc.

Top Bottom