• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

BouncyFrag

So I got a thing that gave 99 me bombs which was awesome. Of course, I died in the third level but I'm getting further bit by bit and figuring things out. The wiki is very helpful.

I don't know about Epic Fetus, but I got Dr Fetus and it was terrible.
Bombs seem to scale with your tear damage. They aren't generic bomb damage.

So that's why.

Yeah Dr. Fetus isn't fun to me. Got it a few times and bombs never seem as impactful as the should be, even with damage ups. Very difficult to play with uless you just use it to skip every room. Just ruined a run by taking it and Number One together. Bomb range was so low they hit me every time haha.

Ipecac on the other hand is really good.

SerTapTap

I don't know about Epic Fetus, but I got Dr Fetus and it was terrible.
Bombs seem to scale with your tear damage. They aren't generic bomb damage.

So that's why.

It's still super useful in basically all non-combat situations, but goddamn some fights with it are a slog (and dangerous). I actually think I killed things slower than I would with normal tears in the Demo Man challenge.

...then I found a reroll room. ...then I got the worst build ever. GG.

Celegus

Bob's Brain can be good but it can also just royally screw you over, depending how the room layouts are. Especially if you get bomb synergy items, particularly the one that increases bomb radius. That's just rough.

Currently in the middle of a run with Bob's Brian, BFF so it's bigger, mega bomb upgrade, and pyromaniac. That thing is a (healing) nuke! Hoping I can find Dr. Fetus too!

SerTapTap

If you die as Azazel and get brought back to life with the Ankh, you lose the power of flight :(

Ankh, Judas' Shadow and Lazarus' Rags all actually turn you INTO that character, so yeah you lose your stock character effects and unlocks count as if you were the new char.

jonno394

Got that lucky cat power up as azazel early on (the nine lives, one heart one). Managed to get through to face satan For the first time but got killed by a leech in his final form on my last life when he had a sliver of health left :'(

MUnited83

For you.
Had an amazing run with Eve earlier. Severely underpowered(had only two on the attack stats at the end) , no treasure rooms spawned at all( is this a character trait?). Had a couple of range and speed upgrades, and a shield that wouldprotect me when I took some damage. Made for a really challenging run, i was nervous all the day but I managed to beat mom's heart! Hecka satisfying run, and actually made me be better at dodging.

genjiZERO

So I'm mildly confused by this game... so it's just a random dungeon crawl. But I wish they'd explain the sub items better. It's pretty and atmospheric, but I'm not really finding the gameplay terribly compelling. Maybe if the shooting was more precise I'd like it better.

jblank83

It's still super useful in basically all non-combat situations, but goddamn some fights with it are a slog (and dangerous). I actually think I killed things slower than I would with normal tears in the Demo Man challenge.

It was very slow and very frustrating. Regular tears would definitely have killed things faster, especially anything that chases the player. Even worse, I had Bob's Brain, which always knocked my bomb straight back at me.

Yes, Dr. Fetus.

Just got it again on my next run. Not picking that up.

After just one run Dr. Fetus became a "never take" for me as well. It's awful.

Maybe if the shooting was more precise I'd like it better.

I can place my shots as I see fit. There's no randomness to it.

SamVimes

Dr Fetus is bad as a damage item but it's better for the exploration, especially now with pots (quarter), mushrooms (various mushroom permanent upgrades + pills) and skulls (black hearts and tarot cards). If i get it early i'll still pick it almost every time.

CassSept

If you get Dr Fetus early on it's decent, it gave me a lot of +stats pills and two familiars among others from bombing every single shroom/skull I came across. I killed
The Lamb
with it easily.

Edit: As SamVimes said.

Sciz

Mom's Knife is still so good. With it and the power of triple shot, two heart containers carried me through a champion boss rush, and a dead cat helped me shank my way all the way through
the Chest

Fuck. I have beaten
Isaac
and
Satan
with Isaac, Magdalene, Azazel (plus
Satan
with ??? and
Chest
with Mag) and now I'm doing rounds with Cain but am getting really bad runs. I got -7 win streak now :(. The low health really fucks up some early devil deal possibilities. And I have been getting some ridicilously bad items. One run I had explosive tears with boomerang effect. Dat lucky foot doing work.

bobawesome

I just unlocked Mama's Boy but I know for a fact I took damage in Utero 1... Was I only supposed to clear a single floor without getting hit or is this a bug?

Ferrio

Banned
I've to say that the intended method for acquiring the information necessarily for unlocking the Lost was very poorly designed. To do it legitimately, the player had to first find one of few specific items, then a sacrifice room and then intentionally suicide the character, only to obtain one puzzle piece out of potentially hundreds. It was a secret that was essentially designed around making the player cheat to at least get the necessary item. No one is ever going to legitimately obtain the required information on their own.

It was clearly designed as a community problem solving issue.

CassSept

Holy crap I mostly ignored Challenges so far (did only Computer Savvy since it's hilariously op and The Host since Technology 0.5 sounds interesting) and I randomly tried "Slow Roll".

This is too good.

Edit: Libra. I'm pretty sure I'm kinda op now.

maZqZFc.png

uIm9094.png

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Any tips on unlocking Azarael? It feels the most random of the unlocks.
Devil rooms are much more likely to appear if you beat the floor/boss without taking red heart damage (I assume this is still true in rebirth, it feels true in my runs). If you never take damage, 3 devil deals is practically guaranteed by the depths.

Devil deals aren't completely random.
if you don't take red heart damage on the floor and don't get hit at all by the boss, It greatly increases your chance to get devil deals. The goats head also guarantees devil rooms.

ElTopo

Banned
Finally beat isaac with Isaac. Had a really good weapon loadout with damage boost, Spectral Tears, Toxic Waste, Tammy's Head, the exploding brain thing that follows your shot, and Splash Damage. But had only 4 hearts (minus one to get a damage boost in a Devil Room) the entire time. Somehow beat him but didn't get the true final boss yet.

I assume once I beat
It Lives
if I take the exit in the Devil Room that takes me to Sheol for the Satan fight and if I step into the light it takes me to Heaven to fight Isaac? How do you access the true final boss?

Ferrio

Banned
You have to take 3 devil deals to unlock him, so secure your devil deals. You're garunteed a first devil deal on the second floor as long as you take no red heart damage on that floor. Meaning if you have soul hearts and get hit, you're okay.

On floors after that, you have higher chance of devil deals if you don't take red heart damage, but you don't have 100% chance at it. Some items and blowing up beggers ect should raise your devil deal chance percentage.

Finally beat isaac with Isaac. Had a really good weapon loadout with damage boost, Spectral Tears, Toxic Waste, Tammy's Head, the exploding brain thing that follows your shot, and Splash Damage. But had only 4 hearts (minus one to get a damage boost in a Devil Room) the entire time. Somehow beat him but didn't get the true final boss yet.

I assume once I beat
It Lives
if I take the exit in the Devil Room that takes me to Sheol for the Satan fight and if I step into the light it takes me to Heaven to fight Isaac? How do you access the true final boss?

You have to beat isaac/devil like six times top earn the polaroid/negative respectively. You'll see pieces of it on your save file picture. Once you have those each will take you to the next final level following the cathedral/sheol.

barit

This game has tons of items. Everytime it's a gamble when I find a new one. Have unlocked
Azarael and this sucka is strong! Almost got to my mother but still haven't beat it. Game is really hard somehow

I've been playing the game for the past few days and loosely following this thread... and I have no idea what's going on in either one!

I'm having fun though (even though I'm terrible and barely make it more than 4-5 levels in before dying)

zsswimmer

I dont know why but the game seems much harder on the ps4. I haven't made it past caves 2 yet even though I've beaten mom a few times on the pc on hard diffculty. Haven't really gotten any good trinkets either and theres probably more hours logged on the ps4.

ElTopo

Banned
Just checking, am I the only the one who just restarts if you're on level 2 or 3 and you just have a shit loadout?

You have to beat isaac/devil like six times top earn the polaroid/negative respectively. You'll see pieces of it on your save file picture. Once you have those each will take you to the next final level following the cathedral/sheol.
I thought I already got that item
it was the undeveloped photo you get from beating It Lives
and I've beaten Satan about 4-5 times and Isaac 2 times. Do you have to beat both of them 6 times each or it 6 times combined?

Ferrio

Banned
Just checking, am I the only the one who just restarts if you're on level 2 or 3 and you just have a shit loadout?

I thought I already got that item
it was the undeveloped photo you get from beating It Lives
and I've beaten Satan about 4-5 times and Isaac 2 times.

After you beat isaac enough another item will show in that room afte ryou beat it lives. Take negative down to sheol if you wanna go to the dark room, polaroid to cathedral if you wanna go to the chest. There's also another optional boss on each of those levels you have to build a key for that's new to this game

SerTapTap

In BOI on PC I'd restart half the time if I didn't get at least acceptable items in item room 1 or 2. I miss quick restart. Going through the game without a couple damage ups gets super painful. I had the WORST run with Soy Milk and not a single damage up or tear alteration power.

Rubius

It's so much easier to get crazily overpowered in this vs. the original. Beat Mom with no hazzle already on the second run on the PC version, and I still struggle with that in the original

Dont worry, it will get harder. You didnt even unlock Something Terrible yet.

It's so much easier to get crazily overpowered in this vs. the original. Beat Mom with no hazzle already on the second run on the PC version, and I still struggle with that in the original

The original comes with a lot of the difficulty already unlocked (if you are playing Wrath of the Lamb); this game is supposed to be a bit more gradual of a start.

Also, just play hard mode. It seems to be kicking people's asses regardless.

SerTapTap

I looked at Plat God and noticed something funny--are we not sure what items are "special items now", or are there just FAR less things considered "special items" now? I assume we actually know, since they have a listing for the unobtainable item in there and presumably datamined it.

Stoze

Man I'm having a way harder time with blue baby in this game. I've done like 5 runs with him and still haven't beaten Mom.

autoduelist

If you kill Mom before the clock reach that floor then you can do the boss rush fight.

So is this for
her heart
or just her first form? Because I swear I've beat her first form in under 20 twice now and haven't unlocked whatever this boss rush mode is. I guess I'm answering my own question, but I'm surprised it requires all floors.

Bastos

Ok I'm downloading this game from the PS+ right now because of GAF's hype.

i'm being cautiously optimistic
Just remember to insist, this game doesn't click instantly.

When it clicks and you start finding joy in the randomness with the notion that this randomness can also fuck you up, everything will be fine.

jonno394

Just had an amazing run as azazel which saw me beat
satan
for the first time. Had the cats head that granted a near endless amount of flies around you and it's reusable and had a powerup that bends azaels laser in a circle around him and then forward which basically wipes out anything and everything all around you. Took no hits against him.

Great game.

Top Bottom