• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

So is this for
her heart
or just her first form? Because I swear I've beat her first form in under 20 twice now and haven't unlocked whatever this boss rush mode is. I guess I'm answering my own question, but I'm surprised it requires all floors.

Doesn't require all floors. I've had it pop up in challenge runs that end at the Foot fight

I never knew what to expect from this game, but it was free so I got it.

Started playing last night, while downloading an update for something else (and the update for this, too, actually) and had fun. It's a good little game, and a unique one with interesting mechanics at that.

I just wish it wasn't a roguelike, because I don't like dying and having to start over at the beginning.

Rubius

Man I'm having a way harder time with blue baby in this game. I've done like 5 runs with him and still haven't beaten Mom.

Yeah. ??? is crazy hard to get going in this game for some reason. Had no problem beating Isaac with a good run with ???. But in this, I can hardly get to the 5th floor.

SerTapTap

This game would be like an hour or two long if it weren't a Roguelike. I don't usually like Roguelikes, but this game just wouldn't work otherwise. It takes getting used to, and it's not for everyone, but it's really amazing once you start to understand and get skilled.

I don't know about Epic Fetus, but I got Dr Fetus and it was terrible.
Bombs seem to scale with your tear damage. They aren't generic bomb damage.

So that's why.

Yeah Dr. Fetus isn't fun to me. Got it a few times and bombs never seem as impactful as the should be, even with damage ups. Very difficult to play with uless you just use it to skip every room. Just ruined a run by taking it and Number One together. Bomb range was so low they hit me every time haha.

Ipecac on the other hand is really good.

It's still super useful in basically all non-combat situations, but goddamn some fights with it are a slog (and dangerous). I actually think I killed things slower than I would with normal tears in the Demo Man challenge.

...then I found a reroll room. ...then I got the worst build ever. GG.

If you mean Dr Fetus, then the damage is very nerfed from original isaac. Epic Fetus though still wrecks everything.

Yes, Dr. Fetus.

Just got it again on my next run. Not picking that up.

:(
Dr Fetus was probably my favourite item in the original game. I hope Epic Fetus is still good.

Mr. Virus

Just started a run with Azazel that had Magic Mush, The Halo and
Mullibooms
in The Caves/Cellar. Seed is: TY4J W2DT It's a Vita one in case that makes a difference.

Also finally found out why Brimstone +
Ludovico Technique
is so highly regarded.

David___

Banned
Finally finished the Demo Man challenge

Edit: anyone know how to unlock Epic Fetus? Thought you had to do the Demo Man challenge but it unlocked the
Chaos Card
instead.

Rubius

Edit: anyone know how to unlock Epic Fetus? Thought you had to do the Demo Man challenge but it unlocked the
Chaos Card
instead.

Maybe The Purist? I have to try and finish the rest of the challenges too. Didnt unlock Epic Fetus yet.

CassSept

Seen people say it's
Challenge 19
but not sure of what it is/unlock conditions :(.

Increasingly more spoilerific answer:

Challenge 19 is unlocked by unlocking Dad's Key.

Dad's Key is unlocked by assembling the key to secret bonus fight.

The fight is Mega Satan and it's accessible after you first beat The Chest or Dark Room (I think, I got it after first Dark Room clear).

The key is assembled by fighting angel statues in two separate angel rooms. You trigger the fight by bombing the angel statue, which can only be done after your clear The Chest/Dark Room

Chaos Card
instead.

You need to complete challenge 19, and to unlock challenge 19, you need to *endgame boss spoiler*
Beat the dark room at least once and unlock dads key.
To get to the
dark room, you need to bring the negative to satan

Challenge 19 is unlocked by unlocking Dad's Key.

Dad's Key is unlocked by assembling the key to secret bonus fight.

The fight is Mega Satan and it's accessible after you first beat The Chest or Dark Room (I think, I got it after first Dark Room clear).

The key is assembled by fighting angel statues in two separate angel rooms. You trigger the fight by bombing the angel statue, which can only be done after your clear The Chest/Dark Room

I thought dads key and the two keys you need for mega satan are two different items? dads key is just an alternate method of getting in the door

What are the requirements to move on past moms heart? I was able to do it in one run and then wasn't in another.

either beat moms heart 9 times or get luck with a deal with the devil room

CassSept

I thought dads key and the two keys you need for mega satan are two different items? dads key is just an alternate method of getting in the door

That's right, but
I unlocked Dad's Key when I assembled the key to Mega Satan for the first time.
Thus I assume that's the unlock method for it.

Edit:
either beat moms heart 9 times or get luck with a deal with the devil room

11 in Rebirth :)

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wooow. Proptosis, Monstro's Lung, Whore of Babylon, Pentagram, Mark, and Nail. Eat shit and die,
the Lamb

Sendou

Patch v1.02

White textures
Players using OpenGL 2.x due to older graphics hardware had an issue where many textures in the game were white. This should be fixed in 90% of the cases now. If you were using the "ogl2" beta, make sure to opt out of the beta so you can upgrade to 1.02. Many thanks to the people who helped us test this over the weekend.

Window disappearing on startup
This happened to players on Windows. The game window would show up for a short amount of time and then disappear, while the music was still playing.
This issue should be fixed now. In case some of you still experience this, there is a trick to make the window re-appear: Press Windows + Left, or Windows + Right (the little key with the Windows logo, and one of the arrow keys).

Crash on startup
This was caused by a broken options.ini, and could be resolved by deleting the file. The game can detect and repair broken ini files now, so this should be fixed, too.

Startup crash on Linux with shader errors in the log
I'm not entirely sure whether this is fixed or not. The shader errors are sorted out now, and I hope this was the cause of the crash. Make sure to write to isaac@nicalis.com if you are on Linux and your game is still crashing on startup.

Missing achievements
The following achievements were not unlocking properly (SPOILER ALERT!).
Godhead
Platinum God
Real Platinum God
Dark Boy

We also fixed a problem with the music pitch during the Epilogue cutscene, and some gameplay related issues.

Ferrio

Banned
You don't get an unlock for beating
Isaac
with Eden? The mark for beating him didn't show up either.

You didn't happen to have extra lives right? Some extralives literally turn you into another character and the kill will count on that character.

David___

Banned
You didn't happen to have extra lives right? Some extralives literally turn you into another character and the kill will count on that character.

Now that you mention it I picked up
Lazarus' Rags
in the beginning and only activated it during the
Isaac
fight :/

David___

Banned
Well congrats you have a lazerus kill on isaac, way harder than Eden IMO.

I literally did Lazarus right before Eden and steam rolled through him and the Chest :p Ended up being Guppy with Trinity Shield, Triple shot that had poising/piercing/homing properties with splash damage and then some.

OnPoint

Finally beat
Mom's Heart
using
the flying guy
. That fight is ridiculously hard. It's pretty much
a bullet hell boss
. I was down to my last half a heart and landed the last hit, and then
it shot out that final blast upon death. It was so close! But it missed me
thank god.

The craziest part is I know there's more. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
So what's everyone's boss who they think is the most embarassing to get hit by?

For me it used to be Pin in the original. Now I'd say Larry Jr or Monstro.

Also so glad jumping spiders were nerfed, there were my bane in the original... had no issues with them so far this game. Guess those wall fuckers replaced them in annoyance factor.

jblank83

For me it used to be Pin in the original. Now I'd say Larry Jr or Monstro.

Getting hit by Larry Jr happens. It's usually a small mazelike room, he moves quicky enough, and his movements are totally random. Even Monstro happens once in awhile if he spawns some minions.

But if Pin hits you, then I'll laugh. No excuses.

Ferrio

Banned
Getting hit by Larry Jr happens. It's usually a small mazelike room, he moves quicky enough, and his movements are totally random. Even Monstro happens once in awhile if he spawns some minions.

But if Pin hits you, then I'll laugh. No excuses.

Pin is a lot more sneeky now, actually pops up under you sometimes. The one hit kill doesn't work anymore either.

Tainted

I think I can add Duke of Flies to the easy boss list....I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've been hit by him in all my 100's of runs

jblank83

Pin is a lot more sneeky now, actually pops up under you sometimes. The one hit kill doesn't work anymore either.

Stand at the very bottom of the room, hugging the wall. He will pop up in the middle of the room and dive down towards you at an angle. Move left or right, dodging him and his bullets. He still has the same pattern and it's foolproof. I haven't been hit once in Rebirth.

Ferrio

Banned
So why would you ever input a "seed" code if nothing counts during that playthru?

There's a good number of special seeds too that add weird stuff to the game. Like one makes it an endless basement run, another makes all enemies invis, another makes it so you take damage if you don't keep moving etc....

Tainted

OK just wondering since the game explains jack shit.

Seeded Isaac runs are pretty much a stable of the original Isaac and WoTL with the unofficial spider mod. It probably single handedly extended the life of that game way past its use by date...it created a pretty huge Isaac community with the challenge runs.

Great to see they incorporated native support for it in Rebirth

Ferrio

Banned
Seeded Isaac runs are pretty much a stable of the original Isaac and WoTL with the unofficial spider mod. It probably single handedly extended the life of that game way past its use by date...it created a pretty huge Isaac community with the challenge runs.

I think the BOI racing (Boiler/Balls of Steel) did that more than seeded stuff. Racing didn't use seeds.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
WOW. LUST KILLED ME LITERALLY JUST AS I SCORED THE LAST HIT ON
MEGA SATAN
. FUCK THIS GAME.

David___

Banned
Just killed
Mega Satan
. Would like to say it was a hard fight but then again I was Azazel with Brimstone-proper and Book of Belial and 8 spirit/dark hearts with stupid damage.

Ferrio

Banned
Speaking of BoI racing, I'm curious how the rules will shape up. Looking like hard mode is the way to go for sure. Cobalt/Hammer really wanted an option to allow you to switch items off/on so they could bad items that they thought were OP. In old binding of isaac if you came across a banned item you were allowed to reroll it...which wasn't the best of solutions but it worked. A toggle system for the all the items would be great, think it's planned for the next expansion.

Lot more items to be banned this time IMO too... way too many strong items.

I have no idea what you just said.

autoduelist

1) Can you bleed a sacrifice room for more than one thing? I tried with about 10 hearts (and half damage) and didn't get anything else, just want confirmation.

2) The game got significantly easier now that i understand the secret room layout. so many extra powerups. Been killing
Satan
pretty easy.

So... how do you get to
The Chest/Dark Room

Ferrio

Banned
1) Can you bleed a sacrifice room for more than one thing? I tried with about 10 hearts (and half damage) and didn't get anything else, just want confirmation.

2) The game got significantly easier now that i understand the secret room layout. so many extra powerups. Been killing
Satan
pretty easy.

So... how do you get to
The Chest/Dark Room

Everytime you beat the devil/isaac you'll unlokc a piece of the negative/polaroid. Once they're fully unlocked they'll drop after you beat It Lives. The polaroid will let you advance to the chest if you go to the cathedral, negative to Dark Room if you go to satan. Your save file should have tiny pieces of the polaroid/negative on it if you've been receiving pieces.

Rubius

Everytime you beat the devil/isaac you'll unlokc a piece of the negative/polaroid. Once they're fully unlocked they'll drop after you beat It Lives. The polaroid will let you advance to the chest if you go to the cathedral, negative to Dark Room if you go to satan. Your save file should have tiny pieces of the polaroid/negative on it if you've been receiving pieces.

After the Mom Fight, not It Lives.

David___

Banned
1)

So... how do you get to
The Chest/Dark Room

Kill either Isaac or Satan 6 times to unlock either the Polaroid or the Negative respectfully.

Take either one after the mom fight. If you picked up the Polaroid go to the Cathedral or if you pick up the Negative go to Shoel.

After either the Isaac or Satan fight you warp to either the Chest or the Dark Room once you touch the golden chest.

Speaking of BoI racing, I'm curious how the rules will shape up. Looking like hard mode is the way to go for sure. Cobalt/Hammer really wanted an option to allow you to switch items off/on so they could bad items that they thought were OP. In old binding of isaac if you came across a banned item you were allowed to reroll it...which wasn't the best of solutions but it worked. A toggle system for the all the items would be great, think it's planned for the next expansion.

Lot more items to be banned this time IMO too... way too many strong items.

Can't wait to see some racing in rebirth. Will really be interesting to see what items that get taken out this time around.

Ferrio

Banned
Can't wait to see some racing in rebirth. Will really be interesting to see what items that get taken out this time around.

I could see pyromaniac being removed. Holy mantle, dry baby, maybe that shield? Maybe krampus's head. Spark plug or whatever for sure... that can cause so many stupid situations.

Nivert

Finally beat
Mom's Heart
using
the flying guy
. That fight is ridiculously hard. It's pretty much
a bullet hell boss
. I was down to my last half a heart and landed the last hit, and then
it shot out that final blast upon death. It was so close! But it missed me
thank god.

The craziest part is I know there's more. :lol

My first time in that fight I did die to that final blast but luckily had something that let me respawn and get the credit

I could see pyromaniac being removed. Holy mantle, dry baby, maybe that shield? Maybe krampus's head. Spark plug or whatever for sure... that can cause so many stupid situations.

Yeah wouldn't be surprised to see those amazing defensive items like holy mantle and trinity shield get removed. There are a lot of items and synergies that are so good, no idea how they are going to narrow it down with this game.

Rubius

Yeah wouldn't be surprised to see those amazing defensive items like holy mantle and trinity shield get removed. There are a lot of items and synergies that are so good, no idea how they are going to narrow it down with this game.

I wonder if Taurus will be removed. It's crazy good against a lot of rooms like the mask of infamy or the Zombro

MUnited83

For you.
Just got a massive framerate bug in the womb. I entered a room and suddenly the framerate went to complete shit. And by shit I mean 1/2 fps at most. Putting the game on fullscreen fixed it but it goes to shit again if I put it windowed again.

Top Bottom