• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Sciz

Synergy!
Prayer card, Maggie's Faith, and the goat head. Guaranteed devil rooms and a steady stream of heart containers to spend in them.

Finally got my first crash. Soy Milk is annoying as hell. I'm sure there's some amazing synergies with extremely specific items, but just in general holy crap.

Soy milk is fantastic with any debuff tears. The insane rate of fire means you'll maintain near 100% uptime on whatever you hit.

lol got Pyromaniac, even without any items (other than bombs) to synergize with it, it's AMAZING

Endgame area spoiler:
I just finished a Dark Room run that was only successful thanks to Bob's Brain healing me through it and Sheol from Pyromaniac absorption. So good.

Tainted

I hate it when you are on a near perfect run and you pickup one item which totally screws with the way you want to play. For me it is anything with charge firing.....I just cannot stand it, I want to be able to shoot when I want

Theres are still a few charged items i'm not familiar with and pick them up by accident :/

Stoze

Well that infinite health run was fun.

A few funs before that I got Sacred Heart for the first time, and then towards the end got Brimstone. I didn't take it because I've gotten Brimstone quite a bit and didn't want to override it. Regret it looking back now because that's pretty god damn rare now that I think about it. Question is; does Brimstone damage stack or multiply sacred heart dmg at all? And does it have a synergy effect (homing Brimstone)?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340140948

9F9F2AAD7F023CB73DB5A79E7E6F44B898999724

Brimstone + Mom's Knife

Got my second brimstone! this time with Maggie! Easy win! Usually use Azereal and the game is much easier. On hard the other characters just take so long to kill everything and every room has 10 enemies.

bobawesome

I'm feeling pretty good about today. I beat Mom's Heart three times.
With Azazel...haha.
Maybe I'll get there with everyone else one day.

Ozium

Nope, believe you have to do a deal, as in trade red/soul hearts for something.

Yeah you have to make a deal with the devil by trading in hearts for items for it to count against Angel Rooms...

also items bought at the black market count as devil deals

So, i suppose it's already been discusses, but what do you unlock by beating
Mega Satan
? Only an ending?

it's the last one i must beat, then i'll try to unlock
The Lost

And after that, i'll try to beat dark room and the chest with every character (so far i only beaten them with azazel and isaac, thanks to the D6, and blue baby thanks to luck)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is extremely well designed.

However, I really hate the theme. Its just too fucking disgusting for me. Piles of shit that leave little flecks of shit smeared when they are shot?

I'm not one to have ever complained about disgusting stuff in a game, but I can only play with so many piles of shit before I just say goddamn enough.

Grief.exe

Oh man, first time in the
Dark Room
! I didn't even know what it was!

Luckily I had the perfect defensive build with a full suite of red hearts + Sun Card + Guppy's Paw just in case. Right as I came down I actually found Guppy's Tail, the last piece I needed to become the elusive cat, and went on to dominate the floor.

That is an almost impossible floor unless you are insanely overpowered. The final boss of that floor is so damn fun, love these bosses with bullet-hell influences.

klATeLc.png

Just had a brilliant run.

I had Bogo bombs and Mega Blast so I had bombs up the kazoo. I also had the lucky rock trinket that makes rocks give out money when they explode so I had Max money too.

And I also had the Pay to Win item that deals damage but costs money.

I would enter a room, tap space bar two or three times, blow up some rocks, and repeat.

It was amazing.

It doesn't deal that much damage to bosses though but at least it got rid of all the little guys.

Persona7

Banned
They stopped talking about it, I assume it's canceled. Most indies go straight for PS4/Vita these days anyway. Them releasing a PS3 version AFTER the PS4 one seems....pretty unlikely.

A PS blog comment from the dev said they cancelled the PS3 version because they were unlikely to recoup the costs of development.

I would think the PS3 version would at least match the vita version in sales plus a PS+ bump.

David___

Banned
Just had one of my most OP runs ever sans breaking/brimsnapping runs in vanilla.

Azazel

Scapegoat
Odd Mushroom
Mom's Knife
Inner Eye(Triple Shot)
Spoon-bender(Homing)
Lump of Coal
Blood of the Martyr
Cricket's Head
Pentagram
Chemical Peel
The Nail

with possibly more

One shotted every boss from the caves down and killed
Isaac
in about 4 seconds.

KarmaCow

Got really lucky in the Purist challenge when a Chaos Card dropped a few rooms before Mom's Heart. I had about 4 hearts left and I'm still sucky at the bullet hell aspect so there was no way I would be able to do it otherwise.

Random item spolier:

Just found
Mom's Coin Purse with the caption "What's all this?" as four pill capsules proceeded to drop on the ground.

This is one of the many reasons why I love this game.

SerTapTap

Two questions:

So I just unlocked ???. Any benefits to him beyond exploiting the half heart items? I assume the devil deal + wafer exploit is fixed? I know of him from BoI but I never unlocked him.

Anyone played co op? Anything to be aware of?

Wow, just had an amazing run, and I die so close to the end.
Isaac killed me with about 1/7 of his health left. I didn't know how to dodge his light pillar attack, and he had a million other things going on
. That run took me like an hour...

the light pillar attack is pretty easy to dodge, just go to the bottom opposite corner of where the attack begins

CassSept

I actually think
Isaac
is way easier now than before. At first he looked crazy but he is way more predictable than in WoL and it's easier to avoid his attacks.

David___

Banned
I actually think
Isaac
is way easier now than before. At first he looked crazy but he is way more predictable than in WoL and it's easier to avoid his attacks.

Agreed. Also the fact there aren't any more angel fetuses shooting at you helps a ton with dodging in general.

desverger

I actually think
Isaac

I feel the same. He also doesn't have a reactive attack anymore, which was a huge pain in the original, especially if you had a ridiculous tears output.

L00P

I just had the most laid back fight with
Mega Satan
. For some weird reason the music that played during most of the fight was the theme that plays after you defeat a boss. It's like it gave up because because he knew I was gonna wreck his shit.

(I had proptosis+parasite+sacred heart during that run)

Just had a great Eve run: Book of Revelation + Battery on the second floor, traded all my red hearts for power increasing items, got dark bum on the third floor and from then on, I only ran into stuff that upgraded my shots. This on top of perma Whore of Babylon and practically infinite Soul Hearts switched the game to easy mode.

That was even the one scenario in which I didn't mind getting that dead cat (also got his collar so I had "10?" lives)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Had an amazing Azazel run last night (is there any other kind?) where I managed to grab the triple shot, Dead Sea scrolls and trickle charge. Essentially meant I could use the scroll every single room and had a massively powerful brimstone shot. Ended up getting to
Sheol
before I was supposed to and beat
Satan
, unlocking
Judas
. Only thing that hampered it was getting the antigravity tears, which was tricky to use with a slowed down brimstone, but it was so powerful that once it hit it didn't matter. Great run.
Edit: also managed to become Guppy during that same run, even grabbed the Dead Cat to do so after all that talk of avoiding it before.

Anustart

Started an Eden run and now I'm a machine gunner with near max damage + slow effect + charm. Unlocked undefined, whatever that is.

bobawesome

Is anyone on the PS4 having weird issues with trophies? I've killed Mom's Heart six times now and the trophy for five still hasn't popped. I unlocked "Everything is Terrible" but not the actual trophy.

Dead Cat has to be the most fucking useless item ever. Completely screwed me on my run, 40 minutes wasted. Had the Bible too and was anywhere from 1-7 rooms away from
Mom's Heart
. So much rage...

CassSept

Dead Cat has to be the most fucking useless item ever. Completely screwed me on my run, 40 minutes wasted. Had the Bible too and was anywhere from 1-7 rooms away from
Mom's Heart
. So much rage...

Take it only when you have 1-2 hp, as it can be used to get Guppy.

CassSept

Wow lol. Just reach
The Chest
and I got Rubber Cement + Lost Contact + Number One. In addition to having Quad Shot before what I'm seeing right now is pretty hilarious. (Edit: Oh right, and I have the freezing effect from Mom's Contact) (Edit2: Holy crap just got Tough Love too, this is too good). Not to mention Brimstone Baby and 10 regular red hearts.

V4SN 6GCW is the seed, I doubt anyone wants to try it but the end is somewhat amusing, Quad Shot is in the first treasure room.

Rubius

Did my first true ending run and man was I powerful. Got Sacred heart on the womb and Criquet Head too.
Then on
The Chest
I got the one that do massive damage at close range. It's nice that they made Angel rooms more meaningful since you need them now to get the ending.

1024x576.resizedimage

NY8D 82XB if you want to try the run.

CassSept

I so hate Challenges. I'm doing well, decent run and then I reach Necropolis and I get these absurd end-running rooms with no room to move and 3-4 Mask + Hearts. It's a freaking joke I swear.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's so much easier to get crazily overpowered in this vs. the original. Beat Mom with no hazzle already on the second run on the PC version, and I still struggle with that in the original

Tiops

So, do I just keep replaying and hope to get good items? I never get overpowered stuff. All I need to do is get the items at treasure rooms and after bosses, right? Anything I'm missing?

syllogism

I've to say that the intended method for acquiring the information necessarily for unlocking the Lost was very poorly designed. To do it legitimately, the player had to first find one of few specific items, then a sacrifice room and then intentionally suicide the character, only to obtain one puzzle piece out of potentially hundreds. It was a secret that was essentially designed around making the player cheat to at least get the necessary item. No one is ever going to legitimately obtain the required information on their own.

KarmaCow

I've to say that the intended method for acquiring the information necessarily for unlocking the Lost was very poorly designed. To do it legitimately, the player had to first find one of few specific items, then a sacrifice room and then intentionally suicide the character, only to obtain one puzzle piece out of potentially hundreds. It was a secret that was essentially designed around making the player cheat to at least get the necessary item. No one is ever going to legitimately obtain the required information on their own.

Why is doing it alone the legitimate way? Considering how obfuscated it is and what it unlocks, I can see it being meant to be crowd sourced.

Top Bottom