• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jado

Banned
I haven't watched enough anime to form a decent list.

tumblr_nfgmwjMFRX1qzwya5o1_500.jpg

Jeezus that's terrifying.

Comic Sans and Papyrus are unfairly maligned. They're decent free typefaces abused/overused by lay folk. The creator of comic sans said something like he created it specifically for on-screen use in children's software. Not for formal print documents nor corporate PowerPoint presentations. Papyrus is okay too, but also overused inappropriately. Could've happened to a thousand fonts.

I've been like that all of my working life. I really hope that changes once I'm doing a job in a field I actually care about.

Figure that I probably won't ever enjoy working under someone, so looking into changing that. Hopefully this time next year things will be in motion.

Jacir

Bruhs I have a secret to tell you guys...

I haven't played a single game since uncharted 3. I still wonder why I lurk GAF sometimes. I read, listen, study the tech behind games more than I actually play them. I seriously want to get into the industry on my own timetable. My body is not ready. Am I alone on this?

I slowly turned into Peter from Office Space, trying to do as much work necessary not to get fired and zero more.

If you're not working for yourself or your passion, why would you do more?

-----

I've never understood the hate for Comic Sans, the only times I've ever seen it used is in things telling me how awful it is. But never why it's awful...

jmood88

I have to decide whether I want to pay my rent tomorrow or go without Internet until Friday.

Edit: I won't get evicted or anything and I'll be able to pay my rent on Friday.

If you're not working for yourself or your passion, why would you do more?

-----

Maybe I was just naive but A check and the idea of moving up was enough for a while. And I can still see where someone is coming from if they're OK with that.

Both times where the path to an office and a bigger check were clear and available to me, shit went sideways.

Don't feel like relying on some council in a boardroom to keep the ship afloat and not toss folks aside for little to no reason.

Imm0rt4l

I have to decide whether I want to pay my rent tomorrow or go without Internet until Friday.

Edit: I won't get evicted or anything and I'll be able to pay my rent on Friday.

unfortunate timing on this post lol.

late charges on rent aint no joke tho

jmood88

unfortunate timing on this post lol.

late charges on rent aint no joke tho
My landlord looks like Tina Knowles and while I'm not into older women, there could be worse people I'd be forced to sexually satisfy for some breathing room on rent.

My landlord looks like Tina Knowles and while I'm not into older women, there could be worse people I'd be forced to sexually satisfy for some breathing room on rent.

Do it. Give in to your inner rachet. Bang your landlord for an extension on your rent. Yes. Do it.

tumblr_lnzghp5Z591qdzxj5.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I slowly turned into Peter from Office Space, trying to do as much work necessary not to get fired and zero more.
Welcome to my world breh, I've been at the same job for almost 4 years. I've gotten two promotions but am still making peanuts compared to what I should be getting for what I do. The only reason I'm still here is because I am close to being done with school and they are flexible with my class schedule. Honestly I wouldn't be like this if over the years the times I did go above and beyond on different projects and "new initiatives" they didn't get delayed after I already did all the work, or scrapped into something unrecognizable, or pushed into a filing cabinet and forgotten. Not a single fuck given now beyond the bare minimum.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Welcome to my world breh, I've been at the same job for almost 4 years. I've gotten two promotions but am still making peanuts compared to what I should be getting for what I do. The only reason I'm still here is because I am close to being done with school and they are flexible with my class schedule. Honestly I wouldn't be like this if over the years the times I did go above and beyond on different projects and "new initiatives" didn't get delayed after I already did all the work, or scrapped into something unrecognizable, or pushed into a filing cabinet and forgotten. Not a single fuck given now beyond the bare minimum.

These are the worst. Soul crushing at times too.

Welcome to my world breh, I've been at the saob for almost 4 years. I've gotten two promotions but am still making peanuts compared to what I should be getting for what I do. The only reason I'm still here is because I am close to being done with school and they are flexible with my class schedule. Honestly I wouldn't be like this if over the years the times I did go above and beyond on different projects and "new initiatives" didn't get delayed after I already did all the work, or scrapped into something unrecognizable, or pushed into a filing cabinet and forgotten. Not a single fuck given now beyond the bare minimum.

Last spot I was at I saved them countless times, built procedures from scratch, organized huge messes and after eventually getting rewarded with a proper salary they said they'd be relocating again 2 hours away after relocating 12 months prior.

If I ain't shit then neither are they.

There's just no ladder climbing here at the current job available. Someone's gonna have to quit and they're all lifelong employees pretty much...so its probably me who'll bounce.

Malyse

Welcome to my world breh, I've been at the same job for almost 4 years. I've gotten two promotions but am still making peanuts compared to what I should be getting for what I do. The only reason I'm still here is because I am close to being done with school and they are flexible with my class schedule. Honestly I wouldn't be like this if over the years the times I did go above and beyond on different projects and "new initiatives" they didn't get delayed after I already did all the work, or scrapped into something unrecognizable, or pushed into a filing cabinet and forgotten. Not a single fuck given now beyond the bare minimum.

Being in the military is fun in that way. Regardless of how great your idea is, good luck getting it implemented.

----

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=143579782

Malyse

You like Magical girl stuff and you gonna talk about suspect?

GcycfBx.jpg

I'm capable of keeping my personal taste and my acknowledgement of quality separate. Enjoying something is in no way form or fashion indicative of quality. Lacking in quality doesn't mean lacking in merit. You clearly have a ways to go in developing your analytical skills.

Oh and while I tease a lot, I would never try to shame someone for their tastes. Bit more of an adult than that, sorry.

Huh? That's the dude that wrote this.

It was a Tuesday afternoon when my 15-year-old son called from his academic summer program at a leafy New England boarding school and told me that as he was walking across campus, a gray Acura with a broken rear taillight pulled up beside him. Two men leaned out of the car and glared at him.

“Are you the only nigger at Mellon Academy*?” one shouted.

Certain that he had not heard them correctly, my son moved closer to the curb, and asked politely, “I’m sorry; I didn’t hear you.”

But he had heard correctly. And this time the man spoke more clearly. “Only … nigger,” he said with added emphasis.

My son froze. He dropped his backpack in alarm and stepped back from the idling car. The men honked the horn loudly and drove off, their laughter echoing behind them.

Even though the idea wasn’t fully formed, I somehow assumed that privilege would insulate a person from discrimination. This was years before I would learn of the research by Peggy McIntosh, the Wellesley College professor who coined the phrase “white male privilege,” to describe the inherent advantages one group in our society has over others in terms of freedom from discriminatory stops, profiling and arrests. As a teenager, I didn’t have such a sophisticated view, other than to wish I were privileged enough to escape the bias I encountered.

The boarding-school incident this summer was a turning point for us — particularly for my son and his younger siblings. Being called a nigger was, of course, a depressing moment for us all. But it was also a moment that helped bring our surroundings into clearer focus. The fact that it happened just days before the police shooting of Michael Brown increased its resonance for our family. Our teenage son no longer makes eye contact with pedestrians or drivers who pass on the street or sidewalk. He ceased visiting the school library this summer after sundown, and now refuses to visit the neighborhood library, just one block away, unless accompanied. He asks us to bear with him because, as he explains, he knows that the experience is unlikely to happen again, but he doesn’t like the uncertainty. He says he now feels both vulnerable and resentful whenever he is required to walk unaccompanied.

It also was a lesson for us to grasp that some white men may believe such acts are really no big deal. I called a dean at the boarding school, who seemed to justify the incident as something that “just happens” in a place where “town-and-gown relations” are strained, but he had little else to say. My son’s school adviser never contacted me about the incident, acting with the same indifference that so many black parents have come to expect. After I reached out to them, I never heard from either man again. Like so many whites who observe our experiences, these two privileged white males treated the incident like a “one-off” that demanded no follow-up and that quickly would be forgotten.

Through no fault of their own, many white men, I think, are unaware or unappreciative of the white male privilege that they enjoy every day, which Wellesley professor McIntosh wrote about in her studies of race, gender, class and privilege. They have no idea how much they take for granted, or know of the burdens endured daily by many people in their own communities. Nor do they appreciate the lingering effects of such burdens and daily traumas. Perhaps many feel that racism is inconsequential, if not altogether dead. After all, as some of my white colleagues have pointed out cynically, how much racism can there be if the country elected a black president?

Let me say that to acknowledge that white male privilege exists does not mean that white privileged men are hostile or racist — or that all bad things that happen to black people are occurring only because of racial bigotry. But I am no better able to explain the lackadaisical response of the two white men to whom I reported the incident than I am able to explain the motives of the two white men who called my son a nigger in the first place.

And perhaps this is why it is so difficult to fairly and productively discuss the privilege (or burdens) that are enjoyed (or endured) by groups to which we don’t belong. Try as I may to see things from the perspective of a white person, I can see them only from the experience that I have as a black man and had as a black boy. As we observe each other and think that we have a close understanding of what it means to be black, white, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, rich or poor, we really don’t — and very often we find ourselves gazing at each other through the wrong end of the telescope. We see things that we think are there but really aren’t. And the relevant subtleties linger just outside our view, eluding us.

He thought he was Nu Black and found out he wasn't.

I'll try to answer some of those questions

-Heihachi was never thrown into a volcano, he was thrown off the same cliff he threw Kazuya down when he was a child. (It was a test of strength to see if Kazuya was strong enough to take over the company) Heihachi survived off pure will power, in the same vein he survived being blown up by JACK in Tekken 5 (though he wasn't supposed to, fan backlash brought him back)

-Kazuya didn't survive, he was resurrected shortly after by the G Corporation and spent the next 20 years recovering, then he makes his return in Tekken 4.

-They never answered the Jun/Kazuya question... though popular theory was that he seduced her.

-After Heihachi thrown Kazuya off the cliff when he was a child, Kazuya made a deal with the devil for him to survive.

-Jinpachi is Heihachi's father, Heihachi led a coup to take the Mishima Zaibatsu from him and had him imprisoned under Honmaru, he later made a similar deal with the devil for him to survive.

-Everyone's hatred stems from Heihachi doing them dirty, imprisoning Jinpachi, throwing Kazuya off a cliff... then later a volcano, shooting Jin in the head... etc

-Ishi was Heihachi's pet he trained.

-Jin turned bad because the source of the Devil Gene (Azazael) is powered by hatred and war, so in order to summon him and defeat him... Jin took the Mishima Zaibatsu from Heihachi and started a war.

-Idk why the same 3 people keep winning, although Paul Pheonix is the closest non-mishima fighter to win the tournament. He had almost won Tekken 3 by defeating Ogre, then left before he can turn into True Ogre.

-Tekken Blood Vengeance is just pure cabbage.

Random question: Is the animated movie cannon or not?

I'm capable of keeping my personal taste and my acknowledgement of quality separate. Enjoying something is in no way form or fashion indicative of quality. Lacking in quality doesn't mean lacking in merit. You clearly have a ways to go in developing your analytical skills.

Oh and while I tease a lot, I would never try to shame someone for their tastes. Bit more of an adult than that, sorry.

It's a gaming forum discussing animu and videogames (both of which we're currently on). Man up.

Mumei

I long for the day when conservative black people will realize that the respectability nonsense doesn't stop racism.

You would think it would've happened by now.

Mr. Washington represents in Negro thought the old attitude of adjustment and submission; but adjustment at such a peculiar time as to make his programme unique. This is an age of unusual economic development, and Mr. Washington's programme naturally takes an economic cast, becoming a gospel of Work and Money to such an extent as apparently almost completely to overshadow the higher aims of life. Moreover, this is an age when the more advanced races are coming in closer contact with the less developed races, and the race-feeling is therefore intensified; and Mr. Washington's programme practically accepts the alleged inferiority of the Negro races. Again, in our own land, the reaction from the sentiment of war time has given impetus to race-prejudice against Negroes, and Mr. Washington withdraws many of the high demands of Negroes as men and American citizens. In other periods of intensified prejudice all the Negro's tendency to self-assertion has been called forth; at this period a policy of submission is advocated. In the history of nearly all other races and peoples the doctrine preached at such crises has been that manly self-respect is worth more than lands and houses, and that a people who voluntarily surrender such respect, or cease striving for it, are not worth civilizing.

In answer to this, it has been claimed that the Negro can survive only through submission. Mr. Washington distinctly asks that black people give up, at least for the present, three things,—

First, political power,

Second, insistence on civil rights,

Third, higher education of Negro youth,—and concentrate all their energies on industrial education, and accumulation of wealth, and the conciliation of the South. This policy has been courageously and insistently advocated for over fifteen years, and has been triumphant for perhaps ten years. As a result of this tender of the palm-branch, what has been the return? In these years there have occurred:

1. The disfranchisement of the Negro.

2. The legal creation of a distinct status of civil inferiority for the Negro.

3. The steady withdrawal of aid from institutions for the higher training of the Negro.

These movements are not, to be sure, direct results of Mr. Washington's teachings; but his propaganda has, without a shadow of doubt, helped their speedier accomplishment. The question then comes: Is it possible, and probable, that nine millions of men can make effective progress in economic lines if they are deprived of political rights, made a servile caste, and allowed only the most meagre chance for developing their exceptional men? If history and reason give any distinct answer to these questions, it is an emphatic NO. And Mr. Washington thus faces the triple paradox of his career:

1. He is striving nobly to make Negro artisans business men and property-owners; but it is utterly impossible, under modern competitive methods, for workingmen and property-owners to defend their rights and exist without the right of suffrage.

2. He insists on thrift and self-respect, but at the same time counsels a silent submission to civic inferiority such as is bound to sap the manhood of any race in the long run.

3. He advocates common-school and industrial training, and depreciates institutions of higher learning; but neither the Negro common-schools, nor Tuskegee itself, could remain open a day were it not for teachers trained in Negro colleges, or trained by their graduates.

This triple paradox in Mr. Washington's position is the object of criticism by two classes of colored Americans. One class is spiritually descended from Toussaint the Savior, through Gabriel, Vesey, and Turner, and they represent the attitude of revolt and revenge; they hate the white South blindly and distrust the white race generally, and so far as they agree on definite action, think that the Negro's only hope lies in emigration beyond the borders of the United States. And yet, by the irony of fate, nothing has more effectually made this programme seem hopeless than the recent course of the United States toward weaker and darker peoples in the West Indies, Hawaii, and the Philippines,—for where in the world may we go and be safe from lying and brute force?

It would be unjust to Mr. Washington not to acknowledge that in several instances he has opposed movements in the South which were unjust to the Negro; he sent memorials to the Louisiana and Alabama constitutional conventions, he has spoken against lynching, and in other ways has openly or silently set his influence against sinister schemes and unfortunate happenings. Notwithstanding this, it is equally true to assert that on the whole the distinct impression left by Mr. Washington's propaganda is, first, that the South is justified in its present attitude toward the Negro because of the Negro's degradation; secondly, that the prime cause of the Negro's failure to rise more quickly is his wrong education in the past; and, thirdly, that his future rise depends primarily on his own efforts. Each of these propositions is a dangerous half-truth. The supplementary truths must never be lost sight of: first, slavery and race-prejudice are potent if not sufficient causes of the Negro's position; second, industrial and common-school training were necessarily slow in planting because they had to await the black teachers trained by higher institutions,—it being extremely doubtful if any essentially different development was possible, and certainly a Tuskegee was unthinkable before 1880; and, third, while it is a great truth to say that the Negro must strive and strive mightily to help himself, it is equally true that unless his striving be not simply seconded, but rather aroused and encouraged, by the initiative of the richer and wiser environing group, he cannot hope for great success.

In his failure to realize and impress this last point, Mr. Washington is especially to be criticised. His doctrine has tended to make the whites, North and South, shift the burden of the Negro problem to the Negro's shoulders and stand aside as critical and rather pessimistic spectators; when in fact the burden belongs to the nation, and the hands of none of us are clean if we bend not our energies to righting these great wrongs.

The South ought to be led, by candid and honest criticism, to assert her better self and do her full duty to the race she has cruelly wronged and is still wronging. The North—her co-partner in guilt—cannot salve her conscience by plastering it with gold. We cannot settle this problem by diplomacy and suaveness, by "policy" alone. If worse come to worst, can the moral fibre of this country survive the slow throttling and murder of nine millions of men?

Everyone should read The Souls of Black Folk at least once

So I decided to buy some new music today, I copped:
D'angelo - Black Messiah
Ghostface - 36 seasons
Big K.R.I.T - Cadillitica
Royce da 5'9 and Dj Premier - Phryme
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth (Pre-order)

So far liking Black Messiah and 36 Seasons the most.

New JoJo game…*ponders*

So I decided to buy some new music today, I copped:
D'angelo - Black Messiah
Ghostface - 36 seasons
Big K.R.I.T - Cadillitica
Royce da 5'9 and Dj Premier - Phryme
Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth (Pre-order)

So far liking Black Messiah and 36 Seasons the most.

Good shit.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Louis CK
Chris Rock
Dave Chappelle
Richard Pryor
George Carlin

So pissed at what EA did to Def Jam man. Never before have I seen a company take a good recipe and fuck it up while telling us "yea we're fucking this up!"

This entire post is solid although I might trade Pryor for either Eddie or Mooney.

So pissed at what EA did to Def Jam man. Never before have I seen a company take a good recipe and fuck it up while telling us "yea we're fucking this up!"

I still can't believe how hype I was over Icon when it was announced. Had me telling EVERYBODY about that game, even customers I was working with. Then it came out, and I'm playing it and my face goes from
WzbKI.png
-->
52kIF.png
-->
AM71U.png
in the span of an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom